Three

The Road To Me

Joonmyeon shakes his head at Zitao that has been pulling his hand, asking him to dance with him. Although people can't judge you at a club, he just can't dance. He admits that he has two left feet and even Zitao can't change it. He just smiles as his best friend gives up convincing him and takes a sit beside him. He offers his drink when he sees Zitao finishes his but it was rejected.

"If I want to drink mango smoothie, I could just ask Jongdae ge to make one!"

Joonmyeon rolls his eyes as Zitao screaming his lungs out to overpower the loud music of the club to tell him that. He is not a good drinker and will become a weird person if he ever get drunk. Zitao knows about it but didn't tell him for many years. He must be acting very weird one night that his best friend couldn't help recording his actions. He caught Zitao watching the video and from that on, he avoids drinking if he could.

"I'm going to get a drink! Do you want anything?!" Zitao stands up as he yells as loud as he can, a finger points at the bar.

"Chicken wings! Nachos! Strawberry smoothie!" Joonmyeon takes a deep breath as he finishes his orders in a loud voice.

"No smoothie!"

Joonmyeon chuckles as he sends Zitao to the bar with his eyes. He sees the Chinese male waving at him from the bar as he waits for the food. He smiles as he puts his hands on his head, making a heart shape and sees Zitao pointing an invisible rifle at him, throwing his head slightly, like he has pulled the invisible trigger. He turns to face the stage as Zitao no longer looking at him and is talking to the bartender. The band that is playing is really good. He wonders why they never when to this club before because although he is not a frequent club goers, he and Zitao like hanging out at one, especially the one that has a live band playing. He claps as the band members bow, with the vocalist saying that they will take a break. He takes a sip of his smoothie and sees his best friend is walking toward their table, with a tray of food in hands.

"Here!" Zitao puts down the tray on the table, grabs his drink and slides the tray full of food to Joonmyeon. "Eat, you hungry bunny!" He sips his drink as he watches his best friend pulls a piece of nacho that has cheese string at the end. "How can you still hungry? You ate three sandwiches like..." He looks at his watch. "...five hours ago."

Joonmyeon smiles as he the rest of the chees string. "A grown man needs to eat!"

"You won't grow anymore!" Zitao shakes his head as his best friend closes his eyes and sticks out his tongue a little. Sometimes he wonders who is the older one between them. He admires Joonmyeon as he has been helping the company since he finished high school and played an important role when Jongin's father died, leaving his father all alone to manage the company. And that is why he was so angry when Jongin said he has the right to the company as Joonmyeon after Joonmyeon told him about the will. His childhood friend is sweet but he can't stand injustice. And unlike him that uses his fist to settle problems, Joonmyeon will find a way without him having using his fist, even though the small fist is not that hurt.

Joonmyeon furrows as he sees Zitao has been smiling at him. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Zitao shrugs as he takes a sip of his drink.

"Is there something on my face?" Joonmyeon wipes his mouth with his hand.

Zitao chuckles as he watches the small hand touching the face, trying to find a smudge but that action just adding some that was none before. "There is now."

Joonmyeon sighs as he stands up. "I'm going to the toilet."

"With that messy face?"

"That is why I am going!"

Zitao watches as Joonmyeon trying to avoid other people while on his way to the toilet. "Holds your hands up! You don't want other people get your 'special sauce' touch!" He chuckles as he sees Joonmyeon did what he says. He turns to the stage when he heard tapping sound on the microphone.

"Tonight, we are having a singing contest! Whoever thinks they are a great singer are encourage to enter and let the audience decide whether you are a great one or not! Of course, it is not a contest if it doesn't have prizes! For the first place, a month of free drinks with your plus one! Second, two weeks of free snack plates with your plus one and third, this giant stuffed panda!"

Zitao's eyes widen at the last sentence. He ignores the rest of the announcement and walks toward the stage, signing up for the contest. He smiles as he walks back to his table where Joonmyeon is looking around, probably searching for him. He waves as their eyes met and his smiles unconciously turns into a smirk.

Joonmyeon notices the weird smile on Zitao's face as the Chinese male grabs his hand. "Where are we going? I haven't finish my nachos!"

Zitao ignores the grumbling of the beautiful male as he drags him to the stage. He stops and turns to face Joonmyeon. "Ge!"

Joonmyeon still can see the weird smile on his childhood friend's face and has a bad feeling about it. "What?"

"I want that panda!"

Joonmyeon tilts his head, eyes looking at the stuffed animal that pointed by Zitao. He glances at the tall male.

"Sing and win me that panda!" Zitao pushes Joonmyeon up to the stage as the club employee tapping the microphone.

"Let's claps for our first contestant, Kim Joonmyeon!"

Joonmyeon's eyes widens at his name being mentioned and looks around the club to see people are clapping. His gaze stops at Zitao to see the Chinese male is smiling weirdly again. He climbs the steps and walks toward to where the microphone is. His eyes meet with the club employee.

"What song?"

Joonmyeon stares straight at the employee. "Ah... hm... 'The Road To Me'?" He watches as the club employee talking with the live band behind him.

"Okay! Here is Sung Sikyung's 'The Road To Me' by Kim Joonmyeon!"

Zitao claps with all his might, doesn't care his hands turning red. "Go, Joonmyeon ge! Win me that panda! Woohoo!"

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath and starts singing. He doesn't know why Zitao making him do this because they could just buy the stuffed animal. Even though he likes to sing, it is limited to the bathroom or while doing sketching of a building or just filling his time. Definitely not to be jugde by other people. He glances at Zitao. The guy has his arms on the air, swaying slowly from right to left, following the mellow music. He smiles after finishing the song and takes a bow before leaving the stage with sound of people clapping after him. He stops in front of the Chinese male and punches his arm.

"Ouch! Ge! What was that for?" Zitao rubs the sore spot on his arm.

"For making me sing in front of these people!" Joonmyeon glares at the tall guy. "Are you crazy?"

"Yes, I am. I am crazy for that panda!"

Joonmyeon gives another punch and ignores the way Zitao looking at him. He sits as he sees another person already standing behind the microphone. He closes his eyes and drowns himself to the soft music. It is his favorite song too, god's 'Dashi'. He claps as the song finishes.

"Okay, cast your vote, people!"

Joonmyeon furrows. Already?

"Looks like only two people are brave enough to be judge by strangers! I thought with our awesome prizes, there would be more! Oh, well! Our waiters will be collecting the tissues, the piece of paper or anything that you wrote your vote on! In the mean time, enjoy Kim Gunmo's 'Wrongful Meeting'! We will be right back with the result!"

Zitao  couldn't believe his ears. "Only two people?! I should have entered. Then that panda is sure to be mine!" He looks at the people inside the club. "Cowards!"

Joonmyeon shakes his head at Zitao's action. He changes his attention to the stage when a tapping sound was heard.

"The result is in and the first place goes to, Byun Baekhyun! Which means Kim Joonmyeon is the second! Come up, both of you!"

Joonmyeon swallows. People keep congratulate him as he walks to the stage. He shakes hands with the other contestant and smiles as he receive a shiny black card.

"Just show this card when you come, okay!"

Joonmyeon nods and walks down from the stage but he was stopped by Zitao on the way to his table. He looks up and sees the dark eyes are staring at him. "What?"

"Go change!" Zitao points at the stage.

"But, free snack plate!"

"I was the one who signed you up so, I want that panda!" Zitao glares at the small person in front of him. "Go change!"

Joonmyeon sighs as he walks toward the stage. He can't win over the Chinese male when it comes to the black and white animal. He taps the club employee that was cleaning up the stage.

"Yes?"

"Er... I'm sorry but, can I change this with the stuffed panda?" Joonmyeon shows his black card.

"You want..."

Joonmyeon nods as the employee looks at him in disbelief. "My friend wants it more than the food. Please?"

"Hm... Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Okay then."

Joonmyeon's eyes widen at the decision. "Oh, thank you so much!" He exchange the card with the stuffed panda and when he turns, he sees Zitao is already waiting for him, or more accurate, the panda. "Here." He watches as the 181cm Chinese male hugging the panda like a little boy.

"Ge, thank you." Zitao kisses Joonmyeon's cheek.

Joonmyeon sighs as he wipes his cheek. "Let's go home. I'm sleepy."

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

"Excuse me."

"Hm?"

"Can I change my prize?"

"You too?"

Baekhyun blinks in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"The second place guy changed his prize with the third place prize."

"You mean, the stuffed panda is gone?"

"Yup!"

Baekhyun sighs as he looks at the silver card in his hand. He entered the contest and was aiming for the snake plate but he won the first prize instead. He was going to change it for the stuffed panda because the card is only for alcoholic drinks and he isn't a fan of that. The luck still isn't his side. He was going to walk away when something hit him. He taps the club employee again.

"What?"

Baekhyun notices the annoying look the employee gives him but he brushes it off. "I want to exchange with the snack plate, please."

"Here! We should offer cheap prizes next time!"

Baekhyun smiles as he watches the club employee disappear behind a door. He walks to his table and takes a sit.

Yixing looks around Baekhyun, searching for something. "Where is it?"

Baekhyun looks up from the card in his hand to his best friend that is sitting across him. "Hm?" He sees Yixing looking around him. "Ah, the panda! The second guy got it first. But no worries." He smiles. "I got what I want!" He flashes the black card in front of his best friend.

Yixing shakes his head, watching Baekhyun kissing the square plastic repeatedly. He sips his drink before looking at his friend again. "Are you sure you don't want to be a singer? You will be the perfect vocalist for our band."

Baekhyun shakes. "I like singing but not as a career."

"It doesn't have to be. I can arrange something with the band and the club."

Baekhyun shakes again as he smiles. "Why are asking something you already know the answer? Is something wrong with the present vocalist?"

"He is going to quit soon. He found someone who is willing to support him for his study."

Baekhyun's eyes widen. "Really?"

Yixing nods. "Where will I find another vocalist?"

"How about the second place guy? He is kinda good. And his face is pretty too. You band would be much popular with him in it."

"Do you know his number?"

Baekhyun looks down in disappointment. "No."

"Then, don't mention him." Yixing sighs before picking up his drink and finishes it. He likes playing with the band but without a good vocalist, the band can't survive. When the vocalist told him about his leaving, he just can smiles as he really happy for the guy but half of him is a bit jealous too. He really wants to continue studying about music and knows that his older brother is working hard to send him to a good school but he is afraid that it would be too late.

"Hyung."

"Hm?"

"Why don't you become the vocal?"

"What?"

"I have heard you sing and you are good." Baekhyun tilts his head. "You need a little practice but overall, you can be a great singer."

"I can't sing, Baek."

Baekhyun clenches a fist and hit the table. "You can! For a guy who can play most of the instruments in the world, singing is a piece of cake. And a delicious one too!"

Yixing chuckles at the statement. "Are you talking about the cake or me?"

"Cake!" Baekhyun wiggles his brows. "But seriously, hyung. You would be a great vocalist. Trust me!"

Yixing rolls his eyes. "I won't do that."

"Do what?"

"Trust you."

"But why?"

"Because the last time I did, we end up in the middle of nowhere and Yifan ge had to call the police to find us."

"Ah, that was like 10 years ago."

"Last month!"

Baekhyun scratches his head. "Really? Only last month?" He looks at his watch and taps on the glass cover. "My watch must have stopped."