Eleven

The Road To Me

"Ge! Good morning!"

Jongdae turns to see Zitao entering his kitchen and taking a seat at the dinner table. He shakes his head as he brings back the plate of waffles he was going to store, placing it in front of the younger. "Joonmyeon hyung already went to work."

"I know." Zitao takes the plate the being handed to him and start stacking the the warm waffles one by one. "I come for your waffles."

Jongdae watches the younger pouring a generous amount of honey on the baked goods. He pushes the bowl of sliced banana toward the Chinese male. "How do you know I made waffles?"

"My waffles sense told me."

Jongdae rolls his eyes at the answer. Ignoring Zitao, he walks toward the sink that is full with dishes that need to be cleaned.

"Ge."

"What?"

"Yifan ge is how like?"

Jongdae furrows. What kind of question is that? He rinses his hands. "Don't talk with your mouth full." He turns and was expected to see half-eaten waffles but the stacked waffles are still untouch and Zitao is burning holes looking at it. "Tao."

Zitao looks up, eyes meeting with Jongdae's.

Jongdae sighs as he makes his way to the younger's side, pouring him a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. "He is fine. Joonmyeon hyung is fine. Everyone is fine." He pats Zitao's back and smile when the Chinese male turned to look at him. "Eat. The waffles are getting cold."

Zitao smiles weakly before cutting the waffles into small pieces. His eyes instantly close by itself as the soft waffles melt in his mouth, savoring the taste. Jongdae is the best waffle maker in the world. If only Joonmyeon would let him borrow the butler sometimes. Then he can eat all the delicious desserts the older made until his stomach burst. But his childhood friend is terrible at cooking and couldn't survive without Jongdae.

Jongdae shakes his head as he keeps hearing sounds coming from Zitao every time the younger takes a bite of his waffles. He was going to continue cleaning up when he met with Zitao's eyes.

"Ge, make me an Oreo one."

Jongdae looks down at the dinner table to see empty plates on it and the waffles are nowhere to be found. He stares at the younger that is sipping his orange juice. "Can you still eat? You know my rule."

Zitao nods, hand putting down the empty glass. "I will finish it all even it will cost my life!"

Jongdae sighs in defeat as he can see the younger's eyes gleaming while looking at him. "Fine."

"Then I want strawberry!"

Zitao turns at the voice and groans.

"Jongin. What are you doing here?"

Jongin smiles at Jongdae before pulling the chair right beside Zitao. He fixes his gaze at the butler, ignoring the huff of breath beside him. "To eat waffles, of course!"

Jongdae's eyes widen in surprise. How the heck does the younger knows he's making waffles for breakfast today? He glances at Zitao that is pouring himself another glass of orange juice before looking back at Jongin. He just has to ask. "Do you have waffles sense too?"

Jongin furrows. "What?"

Jongdae shakes his head. "Nothing, nothing."

Zitao watches as Jongdae walking to the counter top where a bunch of ingredients for making waffles are still hasn't been stored. He tried to ignore the Korean male beside him but Jongin making it hard because the younger keeps smiling at him.

"I was at the office when I heard Joonmyeon hyung said that he had waffles for breakfast when Kyungsoo asked him. So, here I am."

Jongdae glances over his shoulder with hands mixing the waffles batter. At least Jongin's explanation is believable.

"What were you doing at the office?"

Jongin chuckles, eyes rolling at the Chinese male. "Do you have to ask? I sent my Soo to work, of course."

Zitao can feel the waffles that he just ate are coming back up as he listens to Jongin's answer. He sips his juice, hoping the waffles would go back down to his stomach.

"So..."

Zitao turns to face Jongin. He has a feeling that the younger has something to say to him.

Jongin smiles when his eyes met with Zitao. He can see the annoyance plastered on the Chinese male's face. "Tonight's dinner party will be the first event the newlywed will attend as a couple." He throws his gaze to the front when he heard sizzling sound coming from it. "It should be marked on the calendar, Jongdae hyung."

Zitao rolls his eyes. He knows about the dinner party. It is to celebrate the opening of the new building that Joonmyeon's company had design and all staffs are invited. He always accompany Joonmyeon to those kind of events even when the older said he doesn't have to. Being the young generation among the veteran ones is tiring. He of all people knows the feeling of being stuck with a bunch of old people that subtlely finding your faults masking as compliments. It feels like it is his duty to protect the older from those kind of people because Joonmyeon isn't great at dealing with such things as the Korean male is just too nice.

Jongin notices the changed expression on Zitao's face at his words. The Chinese male loves his cousin more than just a friend but it isn't the same with Joonmyeon. He really thought that Joonmyeon would accept Zitao's proposal as he knew the Chinese male would ask his cousin to marry him because of the will but he was wrong. Looks like he doesn't know his own cousin like he thought he would.

Jongdae can feel the tension building up around the kitchen as he prepares the food. The room become so quiet and only the sound of waffles being baked is echoes throughout the kitchen. He glances over his shoulder and see Zitao is staring blankly at the glass of orange juice in front of him while Jongin is tracing his finger at the pattern on the tablecloth. It has been so long the he can't remember the last time the two friends has a decent talk with each other. And he misses the scene real badly.

"Looks like you have to call your other friends and hangout with them tonight." Jongin smirks. "That is 'if' you have other friends."

Zitao inhales. Joonmyeon has Yifan to do that for him now. He should get use to being left behind and tonight looks like the perfect time to start.

Jongin straighten his back when he saw Jongdae walking to the dinner table with stacks of waffles in his hands. He smiles, gladly receiving the plate that is given to him by the older and start stacking the waffles on his own plate.

Zitao snaps from his thought when he saw Jongin trying to take one of his Oreo waffles and smack the younger on the arm before he could eat it. "It's mine!"

Jongin replies the action with a pinch on Zitao's hand that smacked him. "Then don't dare touching mine!"

Jongdae watches as the two friends fighting over the waffles and shake his head. It feels like he's back in time and the three of them are high schoolers again. He smiles. Maybe this is the closest of a 'decent' talk he can get and he doesn't mind.

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

"Congratulation on the wedding."

Joonmyeon nods, smiling as his eyes send the owner of the wish away. His wedding was a week ago but almost everyone that he met tonight said the same thing as the last guy and yet, the wishes for the new building can be counted with one hand. He turns to his side and see Yifan standing tall, eyes wandering around the wide space of the room. He smiles as he shifts back his gaze to the center of the room where the people gathered. It is his first dinner party as a married man. It feels somewhat weird having Yifan beside him instead of Zitao. He did invite the younger but was declined as the younger said he already has plan. He straighten himself as he sees his father's friend approaches him and Yifan.

"The building is beautiful. As expected from the famous architecture company."

Joonmyeon smiles shyly. "Thank you, uncle."

Yifan listens as Joonmyeon talking with the older male about the new building. He saw the miniature scale of it and couldn't help agree as the building is indeed beautiful and modern. He doesn't understand much the words that come out from the two people but he guesses that he should get use to it as there will be more events like this in the future that he needs to attend to as he is married to a famous person in the architectural world.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come to your wedding."

"It's fine, uncle." Joonmyeon shakes his head. "It was sudden and I know you are a busy person." He smiles. "At least you are here now."

"Is your father getting better?"

Yifan watches as the shy smile on Joonmyeon's face disappear into a thin line and a weak one slowly form from it.

Joonmyeon shakes his head. It has been a month since the accident and his father's condition hasn't improving. He stares at the older male. "You should come and visit him. I know he will be happy." He sees his father's friend smiling at him.

"I will."

Yifan flinches when the older male suddenly turn to look at him, scanning him from head to toe. He isn't the first person to do that tonight. He smiles slightly when their eyes met.

"So, you are Yifan."

Yifan nods. He looks down to see a hand being offered to him and he takes it. The handshake is firm and so does the look on the older male's face.

"I hope you will take good care of Joonmyeon. He needs someone like you by his side."

Joonmyeon smiles bitterly, glancing at Yifan that is listening tentively to the older male as he talks about him, about how he is being too nice to Jongin and that he should learn from Yifan on how to be tougher. The older male doesn't have to do that. All his father's friends know the purpose of his marriage and that it won't last long as Yifan and him will separate eventually after some time. So, he really doesn't understand the need to tell Yifan all those things as he is doing fine even before he got married.

"Have you guys done 'it'?"

Yifan furrows at the question as he couldn't understand it but when he glanced at Joonmyeon and see the small eyes widen in surprised, he finally catch the meaning.

"Uncle!"

Yifan watches as Joonmyeon telling the older male to stop, as he seems to have other suspicious questions for him and Joonmyeon. It has been a week since he got married and tonight is the longest time he's together with Joonmyeon. The entire week went by with him occasionally saw Joonmyeon over breakfast and sometimes dinner as they both have work of their own. Joonmyeon always by himself in his study when he asked Jongdae and he himself prefers to stay in his room as he still hasn't got used to the new environment. He sees the older male nods in defeat and smile at Joonmyeon. The older male must know that he and Joonmyeon didn't get married out of love as he can hear the playful tone in his voice while calming down the surprised Joonmyeon. He smiles weakly. Only lovers do 'it' and he and Joonmyeon isn't one. They are just business partners.

"Okay, okay. I will stop."

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath before smiling at the older male in front of him. He knows the older is playing with him but still, it caught him off guard since he never expected to be asked that kind of question.

"So, Yifan. What do you do for living?"

Yifan blinks. Should he tells the older male about his job? That he is just a normal worker that work at a normal cafe. Even though there is nothing wrong with his job, he couldn't help feeling small. He is standing where he never thought he would stand, as it has never occured to him that he would be a part of the higher society because of what he is. A regular person with a regular job. He parts his mouth to answer but close it back when he saw Joonmyeon is smiling.

"Yifan works at the cafe downtown." Joonmyeon notices the frown that slowly form on the older male's face. "You know, the small cafe next to the flower shop." He sees his father's friend nodding at his words.

"Ah! I know that place. I've been there. They make delicious coffee."

"It was probably Yifan that made your coffee, uncle..." Joonmyeon turns to look at Yifan, smiling proudly. "...because he's definitely the one that made my vanilla latte."

Yifan stares at Joonmyeon that is smiling brightly at him. The way he told the older male about him like it wasn't that big of a deal. He jumps a little in surprise when the older male suddenly stepped closer to him.

"Really?"

"Ah! I... probably did..." Yifan exhales as the older male backs off a little, smiling at him.

"Joonmyeon is so lucky. He has you and Jongdae to make his coffee."

Joonmyeon smiles widely. He is lucky but as much as he wants to drink Yifan's vanilla latte, he couldn't ask the Chinese male to make one for him. It was Yifan who offered to make the drink for him on their first night. It wasn't his job and Jongdae would gives him a long speech about treating Yifan like his own vanilla latte vending machine if he does that. Of course he could go to the cafe where Yifan work but he has been so busy lately that since he got married, he hasn't be able to visit the small cafe. He glances at Yifan that is talking with his father's friend. Maybe he should make time and visit Yifan at his workplace. Hardworking people always look so cool in his eyes.

"Looks like Jongin is here."

Yifan follows Joonmyeon that is glancing over his shoulder and see Jongin walking through the crowd with Kyungsoo by his side. He only know a little about Joonmyeon's cousin from Jongdae, about what happen in the family and no more because the younger told him to ask Joonmyeon himself if he wants to know more. He decided to let it be because Joonmyeon would have told him already if the matter is important and related to their marriage.

"I should go."

Joonmyeon turns back to face his father's friend.

"I don't want to ruin my good mood tonight."

"Uncle..." Joonmyeon watches as the older male fixes his clothes. The older was a good friend of Jongin's father too and was fond of Jongin more than him but he changed when Jongin changed. He remembers the disappoinment on the older's face when Jongin told him about his plan for the company. He smiles when their eyes met.

"Take care of yourself. I will try to make time and visit your father."

Yifan sees Joonmyeon nodding at the words and does the same thing when the older male turned to look at him.

"Yifan, thank you for marrying Joonmyeon."

Joonmyeon purses his lips, eyes staring at the wooden floor.

"Please forgive him, no... us, for dragging you into our messed up world."

Yifan smiles weakly and watch as the older male walks away from him and Joonmyeon. He glances at his side and see the Korean male stares straight at his front. He hears a faint sigh before meeting with Joonmyeon's eyes.

Joonmyeon exhales, locking his gaze at the Chinese male that is standing tall beside him. Although they rarely talk, he knows that Yifan is a great guy as the Chinese male never ask anything about his family's problems. Jongdae keeps reminding him that he should share his problems with Yifan as he is now a part of the family but he couldn't bring himself to face Yifan. He locked himself in his study until late at night, until he is sure that Yifan has gone to sleep so that he didn't bump into him when he goes to his room as their rooms are right across each other. He tried very hard to act like normal when he met Yifan during breakfast but he couldn't keep it up. His concious keeps telling him that he probably had ruined Yifan's life.

Yifan furrows as Joonmyeon keeps staring at him without saying a word even though the small eyes show the Korean male has something to say to him. "Hey, are you okay?"

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath and nod. He need to talk to Yifan about their marriage, about how long Yifan should stay by his side, because the longer this staged marriage goes on, the more damage it would bring to the Chinese male. Yifan deserves a normal life, not being stuck in his messed up world. "Yifan."

"Hm?"

"We..." Joonmyeon purses his lips, eyes stare straight at the Chinese male in front of him. "I need to talk to you."

Yifan waits as Joonmyeon seems to lose himself in his thought. He sees the small mouth parts but no word came out as he notices Jongin is beside Joonmyeon.

"Looks like all the family members are here." Jongin puts his arm around Joonmyeon's shoulder, looking at his cousin but the older has his gaze fixed at Yifan. "Ah! Not all. My beloved uncle is not here."

Kyungsoo bites his lips as he notices the changed expression on Joonmyeon's face. He tugs Jongin's hand and shake his head when the younger looked at him.

Yifan watches Jongin putting down his arm from Joonmyeon's shoulder and move closer to Kyungsoo.

"Fine." Jongin sighs. He can never say no to Kyungsoo. He stares at his cousin that is looking at him. "The building is nice. It's uncle's last project, right?" He smirks. "Nice, very nice."

Joonmyeon inhales. He really wish that Jongin wouldn't make any scene tonight because just like the younger said, the building that they are celebrating right now is his father's last work before the accident and he really want to honor it. He moves closer to Yifan, facing the couple. "Have you guys eaten?"

Kyungsoo shakes when Joonmyeon turned to him after Jongin didn't gave the older any answer. He watches as Yifan lowers himself when Joonmyeon tried to talk to him. He blinks when the older turned back to look at him.

"I will get something to drink for us. Jongin, help me?"

"Why would I?" Jongin stares straight at his cousin.

"Jongin."

Jongin sighs in defeat as Joonmyeon's tone sounds firm. Leaving Kyungsoo with Yifan, he follows the older that is heading toward the refreshment table. He waits as Joonmyeon pouring the drink into some glasses.

"I want to ask you something."

Jongin rolls his eyes, hand grabing one of the mini sandwiches that are on the table. He knew there is a reason why Joonmyeon wanted him to come with. He grabs another sandwich after finished with the previous one.

Joonmyeon straighten his back, eyes looking down at the filled glasses. Jongin got married first before him so the younger probably can shed some light for his problem. He turns to look at his little cousin. "How did you explain to Kyungsoo about the will?"

"I don't."

Joonmyeon furrows as he watches Jongin finishing his drink in one gulp. How can that be? He still remember the younger told him that he found someone he's going to marry and it was just days after the will being read. "You didn't tell Kyungsoo about the will?" He sees the younger shaking his head. "Why? Are you two in love..."

"Too complicated." Jongin cuts his cousin's words and wipe his mouth. "You can tell Kyungsoo if you want." He grabs one of the drinks and look at Joonmyeon. The older is staring at him with disbelief on his face. From the question, he could guest what is on Joonmyeon's mind. He cannot help his cousin with his problem as he didn't married Kyungsoo because of the will but it wasn't love either. He has his own reason and he doesn't feel the need to tell the older what it is. "It won't change anything anyway."

Joonmyeon's eyes follow as Jongin walks away, heading straight toward Kyungsoo with a drink in his hand. He notices Kyungsoo's shy smile while receiving the drink from Jongin as he lets the younger kisses his hand. He watches as Kyungsoo being pulled away from where he is standing and the two of them disappear into the sea of people. He grabs the rest of the drinks and walk toward Yifan.

Yifan furrows as his hand receives the drink from Joonmyeon. The Korean male is staring at him with an unreadable expression on his face. "Joonmyeon?"

Joonmyeon weakly smile. Even without Jongin's help, he should talk to Yifan about their relationship soon. Yifan is a great guy and a guy like him deserves someone better. He takes a deep breath. And not him.