Four

The Road To Me

Joonmyeon looks up from his sketches when he heard his office door being open. Giving a small nod to the visitor, he continues making lines on his sketch of a new building.

Zitao storms to the table where Joonmyeon is concentrating on his work. "Ge, is it true?!"

"What?" Joonmyeon answers Zitao's question with a question, not knowing what is the Chinese male talked about.

"That Jongin has found someone and is going to get married this week?!"

Joonmyeon nods, eyes still fixing at the sketch.

Zitao groans as the older of the two ignoring him. "Ge."

"What?"

"We need to talk about this."

"I'm busy. I need to finish this by the end of the week, with Jongin's wedding and all."

"That is why we need to talk about it!" Zitao takes a deep breath. "Ge, look at me."

"Why?" Joonmyeon replies, still not lookig at the Chinese male that is standing across him.

"If you don't, I'm going to flip your table and you have to do you sketches all over again! Do you really want that?!"

Joonmyeon sighs as he puts down the pencil in his hand. Zitao's threat is real and he had to learn it the hard way, with the younger really flipped his table the first time he ever ignore him. Luckily, his just started that time and there was no problem doing it again, but he can't risk this one. He straighten his back and stares at his best friend. "I am looking at you. Now can I continue..."

"No!" Zitao cuts Joonmyeon's words and pulls him down from the stool, leading the shorted male to the sofa that is beside the bookcase. He sits and pulls Joonmyeon to do the same. "We need to talk about this."

Joonmyeon sighs as he leans back to the sofa. He really doesn't want to think about Jongin right now but Zitao is right. He turns to the younger to see that he is looking very determine.

"Ge."

"Hm?"

"Marry me."

Joonmyeon's eyes widen but he quickly calm down. "Tao..."

"Ge, Jongin has already found someone and they are going to get married, this week! You said you would find a solution but it is nearly a month now since the will being read and you still didn't find anything. Do you really want Jongin takes over the company?"

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath. He did say that but these pass few week has been very busy that he didn't have the time to find one. He really doesn't want Jongin to take over the company but he can't do what Jongin did, find a random person and get married to them, even though that kind of thing is somewhat common in their family.

"You don't have to find some random person! I am here, ge! Just marry me and you don't have to worry about Jongin anymore!"

"Tao, we talked about this." Joonmyeon looks at the younger in the eyes. "I don't want to do that to you. You are my little brother no matter what."

Zitao groans. His childhood friend is really stubborn. He sighs as he leans deeper to the sofa. "Have you met Jongin's random person?"

"Tao."

"What?! What do you want me to call him? His 'boyfriend'? His 'soulmate'? You know he isn't."

Joonmyeon lost in thought. If only he has boyfriend that he loves. Then he doesn't have to worry about the will anymore because he will be married to someone he really love and they could live happily ever after.

"You don't have a boyfriend and even if you find one, you two will have to get married by next week and it doesn't have any different like choosing a random person."

Joonmyeon shakes his head. "Are you a mind reader or something?"

"I am not but you are practically an open book. Anyone can read you even though they don't want to."

"I am?"

"You are." Zitao sighs. Joonmyeon thinks he could hide his feeling but his expression says it all. And that is why Jongin can easily played him. "Ge."

"Hm?"

"Marry me."

"Huang Zitao!"

"Then find your random person and marry him!"

Joonmyeon looks at the fuming Zitao. He doesn't have a choice, does he? But where can he find a random person crazy enough that would agree to marry him?

Zitao watches Joonmyeon that can't be obvious enough and clearly thinking 'where can I find a random person to get married to' while posing like a thinking statue of Rodin. He smiles as the older looks so cute posing like that even though he doesn't realize it. It is a habit of his best friend and he wouldn't risk recording it like Joonmyeon's 'weird drunk transformation' that has been deleted from his phone but he still has a copy of it in his computer. Also, that pouting he is doing right now while still posing like The Thinker. That pout has different meanings but never being used when he is upset, not even to him. He stands and pulls Joonmyeon to do the same. The pout is still there and he smirks, before leaning down and gives the pouting lips a quick peck.

Joonmyeon quickly pulls away and looks up at the younger that has a smirk plastered on his face. "Wha..."

"Don't act that shocked. Like we never kiss before."

Joonmyeon wants to retort but Zitao is right. They have been kissing each other on the lips since they were little and it got less as they grow up and it moves to cheeks or nose or forehead. But just now, the lips, it is really been a while and he doesn't remember the last time they did it. He looks at Zitao that is smiling at him. "What?"

"Does your face feel hot?"

Joonmyeon cups his cheeks. Sitting in an air-conditioned room made his whole body cold and with his cold hand on his cheeks, it made him feels even colder. He shakes his head with hands still cupping his cheeks.

"Really?" Zitao sighs. "Too bad. I am not the one then." He grabs Joonmyeon's hand, pulling him toward the door. "Let's go."

"Where are we going? I still have works to do."

"Lunch. I'm hungry."

"But..." Joonmeyon glances at his wrist watch. "...it is only 11.15."

"Brunch then."

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

"Hyung~"

Yifan rolls his eyes as he recognizes the owner's voice. He turns to see Baekhyun is smiling widely at him. "What are you doing here?"

"Lunch, of course. Unless you sell clothes here." Baekhyun grins.

"We do, actually. You want to see it?"

Baekhyun's eyes widen. The cafe sells clothes? He has been a regular customer and he never heard of this. "You do? Since when?"

"Since yesterday. The boss said our cafe is getting popular and he wants to sell something other than food."

Baekhyun smiles as he shakes his head. "No, thank you."

Yifan smiles back. Yixing's friend is something else. "So, your usual then?"

"No. I saw outside there is a new menu. I want to try that."

"Fine. Go take a seat."

Baekhyun watches Yifan walking toward the kitchen. "Hyung!"

Yifan stops and turns to face Baekhyun that is already sitting down. "What?"

"Brownie?" Baekhyun sends a pleading look.

Yifan sighs. The employees of the cafe have their meal ticket and he rarely uses it so sometimes, or most of the time, he gives Baekhyun or his brother pastries using his meal ticket. "We didn't make brownie today."

"You... don't?"

Yifan can see Baekhyun in the verge of crying. Do people really cry over a brownie? "How about muffin instead?" 

Baekhyun beams. He makes a circle over his head.

"Strawberry?"

Baekhyun nods and sees Yifan disappears behind the kitchen door. He hums a tune, looking around the cafe while waiting for his food. He likes to come here. One, he can get free pastry if Yifan is on shift and two, he just like pestering Yixing's brother. He was just looking at the front door when he sees a familiar figure entering the cafe, with a taller one behind him. He follows them with his eyes while trying to remember where he saw him. His eyes are still fixed at the pair even after their finish their ordering and start talking to each other. When he sees the shorter of the two smile, something clicked in his brain. He smiles as he walks to the table where the pair is sitting. "Hi."

Joonmyeon looks up to the side and sees someone standing beside his and Zitao's table. "Yes?"

"You are that second place winner, right? At the Black Pearl Club. I am the first place winner. Do you remember me?"

Joonmyeon looks at Zitao, asking for confirmation but he gets nothing from the younger. "I'm sorry..."

"Ah! The stuffed panda!" Zitao reminds Joonmyeon before looking at the guy that is standing beside their table. "You are the first place winner. I remember."

Joonmyeon nods as he recalls the singing contest that he was forced to enter several days ago.

"So, you do remember." Baekhyun shamelessly pulls out a chair and sits beside the taller one. "I'm Baekhyun." He holds out a hand.

Joonmyeon shakes Baekhyun's hand as he smiles. "I'm Joonmyeon. That is Zitao."

Zitao grabs the offered hand. "Nice to meet you."

Baekhyun nods. "Same here." He smiles as he looks as Joonmyeon. "So, the Heaven must have heard my friend's prayer."

Zitao frowns.

"What are you talking about?"

"Do you want to become a singer?"

Joonmyeon stares Baekhyun in confusion. "Wha..."

"Are you asking Joonmyeon ge to become a singer?" Zitao scans the person beside him. "Are you a scout or something?"

Baekhyun just smiles. "I am, at the moment. I want to scout your friend here for my friend." He turns to face Joonmyeon. "So, are you interested?"

"Wha... I..."

Zitao chuckles at Joonmyeon's lost words and flustered face. "That sounds great, ge. Why don't you become one?" Suddenly, an idea pops in his head. "Oh! If you become a singer, ge, you don't have to work at the company, and oh! Then Jongin can have the company, and, and, you don't have to find random people to get married to!" He stands up. "Ge!"

Joonmyeon leans back as he can see the burning passion in his friend's eyes. "Wha... what?"

"You should become a singer! And I can be your manager! And then we will have concert around the world and not caring what Jongin does to himself! This is perfect, ge!" Zitao turns to Baekhyun. "You! Joonmyeon ge accept your scout!"

"Really?" Baekhyun looks at Joonmyeon. "It is settle then! I will tell my friend about this!"

Joonmyeon sees Baekhyun pulling his phone from his pocket and he manages to stop him from dialing. "Wait!"

"What?" Baekhyun tries to pull out his hand from Joonmyeon's grip but despite the small body, he got a strong hand.

"I... I don't want to be a singer." Joonmyeon looks up at Zitao that is still standing, eyes locking at him. He tells the younger with his eyes to sit down and after he did, he turns back to face Baekhyun. "I... I have a job. And I love my job." He let go Baekhyun's wrist. "Thank you for the offer but I can't do that." He glances at Zitao. "And you! You have your shop! Do you really want to close it down to become my manager and travel around the world?! Try and do that! See if I ever talk to you again!"

Zitao pouts. Having Joonmyeon not talking to him is like the worst torture ever and he doesn't want to experience it again. He can feel his eyes become teary every time he remember that one and only time Joonmyeon ignored him, not talking to him for two days because he had forgotten the older's 16th birthday. He sighs as he leans back to his chair. He looks at Baekhyun and sees the new friend is puzzles at Joonmyeon's words.

Baekhyun looks at the two friends and just notice at his mistake. Of course Joonmyeon has a job, and a well paid too. An Armani polo shirt that covers his small body, a Rolex wrist watch on the one side and a Gucci bracelet on the other. And all are original too. He glances at Zitao and sees similar expensive brands all over his body. He never thought elite people like them would step inside a humble cafe like this. He sighs as he stands up.

Joonmyeon frowns as he watches Baekhyun pushes his chair inside. "Where are you going?"

"Yeah. I thought you are eating with us."

It may sounds stupid but he can't hang out with them. Their world is way different than him. Baekhyun shakes before smiling at the two friends. "I can't. I..."

"Oh, Baekhyun. Are you sitting here?"

Baekhyun turns and sees a cafe employee with his lunch in his hand. "Oh? Where is Yifan hyung?"

"He went out. So, are you sitting here? The tray is heavy, you know."

"No. I..."

"Of course." Zitao pats the table. "Just put it here."

Joonmyeon watches as the cafe employee serves the food. "That looks delicious. Tao, did we order this?"

"I don't know. Maybe. You are the hungry bunny."

"Ah. I don't think you did. Do you want to add it?"

"No!" Zitao saw Joonmyeon opening his mouth and knows what would the answer be so he cuts it off first. "Just ignore him and bring what we already ordered."

"Right away."

Joonmyeon glances at the younger after the cafe employee disappears behind the kitchen door. "Why? I want it."

"Just ask Baekhyun for some. If he doesn't mind."

Joonmyeon notices Baekhyun is still standing behind the chair that he just sat. "Why are you still standing? Your food is here. Eat up. And, can I have a taste?"

Baekhyun watches as Zitao pulls out his chair and gestures him to sit. Looks like he can't escape them. He sits, smiling while pushing the his plate toward Joonmyeon. "Help yourself."

"Ge, manners." Zitao shakes his head as Joonmyeon uses his fingers to pick a piece of meat and frowns as he hears ringing sounds. "Baekhyun, I think your phone is ringing."

"Oh?" Baekhyun fishes out his phone and sees a message had arrived. He looks at Zitao. "How did you know?"

"Because my ringtone is the sound of Joonmyeon ge's snoring and ge's ringtone is my voice saying, 'Panda loves Bunny' over and over again."

Joonmyeon chokes on his food and takes a deep breath before glaring at Zitao. "You... when... how..."

Baekhyun smiles as he ignores the bickering of the two friends and read the text sent by Yixing. He can't hide his sadness and let a deep sigh.

Joonmyeon notices the changed expression on Baekhyun's face before hitting Zitao's hand for the last time. "Baekhyun, what's wrong?"

Baekhyun looks up at Joonmyeon. "Nothing. I..." He glances back at his phone before looking at Joonmyeon again. "Joonmyeon, I know we just met but can I ask you a favor?"

Baekhyun's face looks hopeful and Joonmyeon sees Zitao giving him a nod before facing Baekhyun. "Sure. What is it?"