Thirty-Two

The Road To Me

Yifan looks up at the door when he hears muffled voices coming from the other side and he gets off from the sofa, wanting to know what is happening when suddenly the door being opnened and a tall, pale male steps into the room, closing the door behind him. "Sehun."

Sehun stares at the older before looking around the room. Everything is still the same and Yifan doesn't seem to know about 'him'.

"Where is Jongin?"

Sehun walks past the older towards the closet at the end of the room, putting the bag of clothes he brought inside it before closing the door and faces the older. Should he really tell Yifan where Jongin is after what his friend had told him about the older?

"Sehun?"

"Jongin..." Sehun steps away from the closet and stands in front of Yifan, meeting with the older's eyes. It was just a little what his friend told him and he shouldn't make assumptions but he couldn't help it. It is one thing to hurt someone you barely know and feel nothing about it but it was just plain cruel throwing away the person that loves you and treated them as strangers without any remorse whatsoever. "...he left something in the car."

Yifan watches as the younger plops himself down on the sofa, his line of view fixed at the bed at the center of the room and he spares a glance at the figure resting on it before the scene he witnessed last night flashes in his mind. Jongin just stood beside him, watching Sehun holding Kyungsoo's small hand as the doctor and nurses tend Kyungsoo's cuts and bruises. He wanted to ask, because it was supposed to be Jongin that pushes the strands of hair matted on Kyungsoo's forehead instead of Sehun, but the trembling the younger had didn't go unnoticed as they watched Kyungsoo being moved to another room and he let him be.

"Hyung." Sehun looks up, meeting with the older's eyes. His mind went blank when Jongin told him about the called he received from Jongdae and he didn't even notice Yifan's presence until after he exited Kyungsoo's room and saw the older leaning against the wall outside.

Yifan takes a step back when Sehun gets on his feet, standing right across him, staring at him with the same eyes when he looked at Kyungsoo.

"Thank you."

Yifan lets the younger's arms wrap around his frame, feeling sharp chin resting on his shoulder and he nods, bringing his palm up to rub up and down the clothed back. Jongin didn't tell him everything, leaving the story behind those wounds, but the relationship between Sehun and Kyungsoo did caught him off guard, along with the fact that Kyungsoo was missing prior days before. He stares at the younger when Sehun pulls away, keeping his hands away from wiping the tears pooling around those round eyes as he can see the younger trying his hard not to spill it. "Everything is going to be alright."

Sehun gives Yifan a small smile as he couldn't offer the same words to the older about his situation. He doesn't know why Joonmyeon did what he did but he knows someone as kind as Yifan doesn't deserve something like that.

"Has anything changed?"

Yifan turns around and sees Jongin closing the door before walking towards him and Sehun, his hand holding a grocery bag.

"No." Sehun catches the sigh his friend let out as he puts away the bag on the side table and his eyes follow Jongin's movement until their eyes meet. He locks their gazes and Jongin gives him a slight headshake, wordlessly telling him that he has nothing to worry about as he had handle that unexpected encounter calmly.

"I should go."

Jongin turns to the older. "I will drive you home." He earns a nod and watches Yifan give Sehun a squeeze on the shoulder before heading towards the door and he follows after, leaving Sehun with Kyungsoo. He stares at Yifan's broad back as they walk pass along rows of giant windows and he can't take it anymore. "Hyung."

Yifan halts his steps and glances over his shoulder to see Jongin standing not far from him, his shoulders slumped a little as he is looking at him with eyes he never saw on the younger before. He turns fully around, giving the younger all his attention. He can sense the younger has something bothering him and he would be glad being the one that Jongin tell his problems to. "What is it?"

"Joonmyeon hyung..." Jongin notices how Yifan's ears perk up at the name and he purses his lips. He needs to tell Yifan.

"Jongin..."

"He was here, moments ago, outside Kyungsoo's room..."

Yifan blinks. The commotion he heard before.

"...but I sent him home. I just couldn't let him see Kyungsoo after what he did to him." Jongin fixes his eyes at the older, reading the unspoken thought Yifan has about Joonmyeon from his expression. He too never thought his cousin would do something like that. That was why he made that deal. Because Joonmyeon is a rasional person, unlike him. But he was wrong. "Joonmyeon hyung was the one responsible for Kyungsoo's missing."

Yifan takes a step closer when Jongin breaks their gazes, darting his eyes to the hospital floor. "Jongin..."

Jongin feels large hand on his shoulder and his knees finally fail on him. "I'm sorry." He hears deep voice calling his name and the same hands cupping his upper arms trying to pull him up but it is no use. The guilt he has been carrying was already too much and Yifan's warm hands made everything unbearable. He has been blaming his cousin for what had happened to Kyungsoo but it also never stop reminding him what he had done to Yifan. "I'm sorry..."

"Jongin..." Yifan can only stare at the younger that is kneeling on the floor in front of him, his mouth keeps muttering apologies as he still refuses to look at him. This is his first time seeing the younger acting like this and he doesn't what to do as he doesn't even know why Jongin is acting like this in the first place. "Jongin, what have you done?"

Jongin flinches and the fists on his knees get tighter. He has to tell Yifan. Maybe Yifan won't forgive him, maybe his confession won't change anything that already happened between Yifan and Joonmyeon but he has to say it. Yifan was innocent but he was hurt the most. "It was a stupid deal."

Yifan listens intently as Jongin tells him everything. That he was just trying to make Joonmyeon stop interfering with Kyungsoo's life, that he didn't even remember the deal until that day at Joonmyeon's office, that his childish act has ruined something beautiful he and Joonmyeon have.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Jongin."

Jongin lifts his chin when he catches the sight of a familiar hand resting on one of his fists and he meets with Yifan's eyes as the older is crouching before him.

"It's fine. You did nothing wrong."

Jongin's breath hitches as a small smile forms on thr older's lips. What is Yifan saying? Why is Yifan smiling? The older should be mad at him for acting like a kid and saying things he doesn't even mean. Where is the punch he should be getting? "Hyung." He stands up, following Yifan as the older lets go of his hand.

"I should be going." Yifan fixes the younger's clothes, bending down to dust off the spots on the younger's jeans where Jongin has been kneeling and straightens himself back to face the younger. "You should stay with Kyungsoo."

"Hyung, wait!" Jongin manages to grab hold the older's wrist before Yifan could walk any further and he stares deeply into Yifan's eyes. "Hyung, I..." He earns a headshake and his grip loosens. No.

"It wasn't your fault." Yifan catches the hand that slowly slipping away from his wrist and squeezes it softly. "We were just..."

Jongin's chest tightens. No.

"...not meant to be."

Jongin watches as Yifan getting further away from him. No.

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

Chanyeol takes a quick glance at the passenger seat before focusing back to the road in front of him. He was there when it happened but he could only watch as Jongin had pulled Joonmyeon away from him to have a talk, just the two of them, and it broke his heart watching Joonmyeon being left by his little cousin after Jongin ended their conversation. And Joonmyeon has been acting like that since they got in the car, just staring outside the window without saying a word. "Myeonie."

Joonmyeon blinks at the sound of his name being called and turns to his side, seeing Chanyeol staring at him before noticing the red light outside the car.

"Do you want to go home? I think Minseok hyung will understand if you can't make it."

Joonmyeon fixes his eyes at the younger, his mind processing the words that just came out. Right. They are supposed to have lunch with Minseok and Luhan. He accepted the invitation last night when Chanyeol took him home. Before he knew about Kyungsoo from Jongdae. And Chanyeol was kind enough not asking any question when he asked to stop by at the hospital on their way.

Chanyeol enters the gear and steps on the pedal when the light turns green. He doesn't what happened between the two cousins but he doesn't like when Joonmyeon is acting like this. "Let's send you home."

Joonmyeon watches as the intersection towards the direction of his house slowly approaching and he turns to the younger, his ears didn't miss the faint sigh Chanyeol let out and he puts his hand on the younger's that is on the steering wheel, earning a quick glance. "No. I'm fine. Minseok hyung is waiting for us." He waits, eyes fixed on the road ahead and watches as the intersection passes outside the window before removing his hand from Chanyeol's.

"Will you ever going to tell me what had happened?"

Joonmyeon stares at the younger for a moment before pursing his lips. Jongin didn't even let him to see Kyungsoo, does he have the right to tell other people about what happened?

Chanyeol huffs loudly, turning to a corner and presses the pedal a little harder as he enters his neighborhood. He doesn't like being left in the dark like this. If Joonmyeon doesn't want him to know, they shouldn't have stopped by the hospital. He is well aware of the cold shoulders Jongin has been giving to his older cousin but what he saw earlier was something different. "If you won't tell me..."

Joonmyeon faces the younger as the car stops and sees Chanyeol is staring blankly at the steering wheel.

"...don't show that face to Minseok hyung."

Joonmyeon notices how deep voice soften before a small smile appears on the lips.

Chanyeol unbuckles his seatbelt and leans over to Joonmyeon, unbuckling the older's seatbelt and stops a few inches away from the small face. "I don't want him to worry." He pulls away when he receives a slight nod and gets off of the car, circling around it to hold Joonmyeon's door as the older steps out from it.

Joonmyeon fixes his clothes as he follows Chanyeol from behind, forcing a weak smile when the younger turns to him as he opens the front door. The problem is between him and Jongin. Minseok doesn't need to know.

"You guys are just in time. Luhan just finished making the gravy."

Chanyeol smiles as he steps into the kitchen, eyes meeting with Minseok that is clad in blue apron before noticing the full dinner table filled with varieties of food. "Hyung, don't you think it's too much for four people?" He watches his older brother shaking his head as he pulls Joonmyeon closer.

"No, of course not. Isn't that right, Joonmyeon?" Minseok hears a small chuckle and he proceeds to hug the younger, ignoring the protest coming from his little brother and his best friend. "Thank you for coming."

"Thank you for having me, hyung."

Minseok nods after breaking the hug and tugs the younger over to the table, pulling a chair beside Luhan that is already plating his own plate. "Shouldn't you serve the guest first?" He rolls his eyes when Luhan just smirks up at him as he pushes Joonmyeon's chair in.

"This is for Joonmyeon." Luhan flashes the younger a smile, switching Joonmyeon's empty plate with his full one. "Chanyeol said you like carbonara pasta so..."

Joonmyeon stares at the plate in front of him before looking up at Chanyeol that is sitting across Luhan. He does love carbonara pasta but he is sure he never told the younger about it before. He takes a bite after feeling a nudge from Luhan and he smiles at Minseok, nodding a little when their gazes met.

"I guess it is edible."

"If you don't like it, don't eat!"

Minseok sighs at the bickering and shifts his attention to Joonmyeon that has his eyes fixed at the two loudest people. "Joonmyeon." He hears a hum as the younger turns to him. "Just ignore them and eat, okay? They are always acting like this. Don't mind them."

Joonmyeon gives the older a small nod, glancing slightly to his side as Luhan and Chanyeol's little bicker reaching his ears. He used to this actually. Zitao and Jongin never fail to fight over the last piece of bread or shrimp or the cherry pie and Jongin would most of the time ended up giving in to Zitao after being reminded by his father that Zitao is a guest. He didn't dislike it but he never thought he would missed it.

"Wait."

Joonmyeon blinks his thoughts away and sees Chanyeol looking down at his own body before a phone appears in his hand, his eyebrows furrowed as he stares at the device.

"Lu."

"What?"

Joonmyeon watches Luhan take the phone off Chanyeol's hand and the same expression that was on Chanyeol's face forms on the older. "Is something wrong?"

Luhan turns to Joonmyeon, his hand giving back the device to Chanyeol. "Nothing, just work stuff." He pushes his chair out, following Chanyeol that is already on his feet. "We just going to deal with it quickly and will be back before you know it."

Joonmyeon watches as Luhan and Chanyeol exit the kitchen and he turns back to his front, frowning when Minseok is smiling at him. "Hyung."

"This is always happen too. Forgive them, hm?" Minseok earns a nod and takes another bite of his pasta. "At least now we can talk." He stares at Joonmyeon. The call was totally a coincidence but he is left with Joonmyeon like the way he wanted to be. He shouldn't let this opportunity go to waste. It is the reason why he invited the younger in the first place. "Joonmyeon."

Joonmyeon swallows his food and looks up at Minseok. The older is smiling but the change of voice when his name being called didn't go unnoticed.

"How is Yifan?" Minseok catches the small jolt Joonmyeon's hand made and he watches those small lips turn into a thin line. So his guess was right. There is a problem between the married couple. He didn't want to believe it since the two looked so close together the last time he saw them but it was the only possible thing he could think of after the call Chanyeol received yesterday. And the way Joonmyeon keep playing with his food instead of answering him proves it even more. "Joonmyeon, look at me."

Joonmyeon lifts his chin slowly and his breath hitches as Minseok is staring straight at him. The older couldn't have known about what happened between him and Yifan.

Minseok sighs as he is able to read what is written on the younger's face. "No, I don't know what had happened between you and Yifan but I do know that you are trying to run away from it by spending time with Chanyeol. And maybe it is fine with him but I don't like you using my brother like that. Not when you are still in love with Yifan."

Joonmyeon's chest tightens as Minseok's words wrap themselves around his heart. He can see his own hands trembling on his lap as he couldn't find any wrong with those words. But he didn't have anyone else to turn too. Jongdae has stopped talking to him and how could he talk to Zitao after that day. It was a coincidence when he met Chanyeol at a coffee shop and he was asking the younger to dinner before his brain could react to it.

"Chanyeol is married, Joonmyeon."

Joonmyeon blinks.

"With Luhan." Minseok sips his drink, noticing how Joonmyeon's eyes have become slightly bigger than before at his words and he turns to the kitchen entrance when familiar voices reach his ears. He smiles at his little brother when Chanyeol sits back on his chair beside him. "Is everything settled?"

Joonmyeon's ears can't hear anything even thought Luhan and Chanyeol are bickering but his eyes catches everything. The matching silver band on Chanyeol and Luhan's ring finger as they pointing at each other over the table. Was it always been there?