Five

The Road To Me

Jongdae just finished tidying up the kitchen and on his way out when a familiar face is standing at the door, making him stops his steps.

"Why is the house so quiet? Where is everybody?"

"I am everybody." Jongdae watches as Jongin makes his way to the dining table and pulls out a chair, casually taking a seat like he is in his own house. "It is nearly midnight. What are you doing here?" With heavy feet, he walks to the fridge and takes out a big bottle of apple juice, before grabbing a clean glass and put it in front of the younger. An annoying guest is still a guest, and it is his job as a butler, or as Joonmyeon said, caretaker, of the house to serve whoever visits the house, even in the middle of the night.

Jongin groans as he pushes the bottle to the side. "Can you give me a beer instead?"

"Didn't you drive coming here?" Jongdae stores back the apple juice and fills the glass with warm water.

"Oh? You are right. You are so smart, hyung. No wonder Joonmyeon hyung keeps you around." Jongin finishes is water in one shot. He looks at Jongdae that is standing across him. "Hyung, can you make me coffee? I'm feeling a bit sleepy, and you don't want me to get into an accident on my way back, do you?"

Choosing not to answer, Jongdae walks to the stoves and starts boiling some water. He opens the jar that contains coffee beans, scoops a little and grinds it.

Jongin watches the butler's back as he keeps moving around while preparing his coffee. "Hyung, can you make me your famous gingerbread cookie? I'm suddenly craving fot it."

Jongdae walks to the fridge and a bit to the left, where a few ceramic jars are lined. He takes the one that has 'cookies' written on it and places it in front of Joonmyeon's cousin.

Jongin stares at the older as he opens the jar, taking out a cookie and takes a bite of it"Delicious but, this is already cold. Hyung, can't you make a new batch?" 

Jongdae stands still beside Jongin, holding back his fingers from poking the two mischievous eyes in front of him.

"I'm kidding." Jongin smiles as he takes another bite. "You really are a great cook. I wouldn't mind eating these cookies everyday."

A whistle sound was heard and Jongdae ignores the younger, walking to the stoves and turning off the fire. He pours the boiling water over the filter and let the coffee drips, before serving it to the unwanted guest. He waits as Jongin takes a sip and let out a relief sigh. "You still haven't answered my question."

"Hm?" Jongin looks up from the cup in his hand. "What question?" He takes another cookie and munches it, eyes still fixed at the house butler.

"What are you doing here in the middle of the night?"

Jongin smiles at the monotonous voice. It is more to a warning than just a question. It clearly shows that the butler doesn't want him to be here but like he cares what other people think. "I was in the neighborhood and I feel like stopping by and checking my favorite cousin." He looks around the kitchen. "By the way, where is my lovely cousin?"

"Joonmyeon hyung is not here. He went out with Zitao."

Jongin chuckles at the mention of the Chinese name. His cousin doesn't seems to have any other friend except that Chinese male. He takes another sips of his coffee as he remembered that he too was Joonmyeon's friend and Zitao was his friend, until his father died. People around them kept saying that Joonmyeon would take over the company that their fathers built instead of consoling him of his lost. Even Zitao that he thought would be beside him left him and he had to cope his grief alone because when Joonmyeon finally approached him, it's already too late.

Jongdae sighs as he watches Jongin finishing his drink. Jongin has changed so much for the last few years that the little boy he used to know is almost gone and he couldn't help feel guilty about it because he was too late. He tried to fix their relationship but the younger had built a wall that prevent him to come close. So he did his best to treat him like before but what Jongin said at the will reading a few weeks ago made him a little bit furious and he can't help himself treating the younger like an unwanted stranger.

"Hyung."

Jongdae looks at Jongin that is staring straight at the cookie jar, holding it tightly.

"If I call first, would you make me a fresh baked one?"

Jongdae shifts his gaze to the cookie jar. The gingerbread cookie has been Jongin's favorite since back then and it still hasn't change. He admits that the small fact is making him happy because the little Jongin he knew is still exist. "Sure." It was just a moment but he saw the younger was smiling sincerely at his answer.

Jongin takes a deep breath before he stands and fixes his clothes. He lifts the cookie jar and looks at Jongdae. "I'm taking this with me."

Jongdae gives a small nod and watches Jongin exits the kitchen.

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

"Joonmyeon hyung has a great voice."

Zitao smiles proudly as he takes a quick glance at the praiser. He always loves Joonmyeon voice ever since they were just little kids. He would ask Joonmyeon to sing him a lullaby every time he went to the older house for a sleepover or when their fathers met for business and they have to stay over for the night.

"I think I'm falling for him."

Zitao snaps his head to look at his side where his new friend is sitting.

Baekhyun turns as he senses a certain Chinese male is trying to burn a hole through his head and sees Zitao staring at him with unblinking eyes. "Is he yours?" He notices the younger was a bit taken back at his question and he just smiles at the reaction. "I'm kidding. Although Joonmyeon hyung is beautiful and I admit I never met someone as beautiful as him, he is, sadly, or in your case, thankfully, not my type."

Zitao exhales the breath he didn't know he was holding. Baekhyun's confession has got him off guard because it has been a long time since he heard some saying that that they are interested in Joonmyeon. He shifts his gaze back to the stage where Joonmyeon is singing and he unconciously blooms into a smile. With the dim lights of the club, his childhood friend looks more beautiful than usual. His smile falters when he remembered Baekhyun's question. Although they have been best friends as long as he can remember, Joonmyeon is not his nor he is Joonmyeon's.

Baekhyun heard the sigh that coming from his side and nudges Zitao with his elbow, making the Chinese male look at him. "Stop it. This is a club, not a funeral home. Cheer up!"

Zitao forces a smile before taking a sip of his drink. He leans back and look at Baekhyun. "Is Yixing ge really firm with his decision?"

Baekhyun nods. Although he knows how difficult for his best friend to make that decision, he has no other choice. The band cannot be saved. He looks back at the stage when the song finished and claps his hands as he watches the person that just performed walking toward their table.

"Ge, you were awesome!"

Joonmyeon tried to wiggle his body out from the bone-crushing hug Zitao gave him but it was futile as his childhood friend although looking very thin, he is a martial art student and his small body is no match for the younger.

Baekhyun laughs at the scene as he stands up. He karate chopped Zitao's arm after his attempt to release Joonmyeon from the hug failed. "I'm next! Stop playing and watch!"

Zitao pouts at Joonmyeon because the older stopped him from chasing Baekhyun and can only watch him walking to the stage. He grumbles as he being forced to sit by the beautiful male that then takes a sit across him.

"Stop grumbling." Joonmyeon claps as he heard the microphone being tapped and the live band started playing. He noticed Zitao is eyeing him and he shifts his focus from the stage to the younger in front of him. "What?"

Zitao puts down his drink and stares at the person across him. "Are you sure you don't want to be a singer?"

Joonmyeon rolls his eyes at the question. "Why are you asking question that you already know the answer?"

"Because I thought it will be different if I ask at different place." Zitao looks at the stage where Baekhyun is singing and Yixing and the band are playing. "It is really sad though, the band will be disband after this."

Joonmyeon nods. He was a bit surprised when Baekhyun told him about Yixing's band and he didn't have the heart to say no at the request of him singing on the stage for the band's last time performing at the club. Apparently, most of the band members have something they want to do and Yixing can only wish them the best.

"Ge."

Joonmyeon turns to face his childhood friend.

"Doesn't the company has a scholarship or something?"

Joonmyeon doesn't know to nod or to shake. His father's architecture company does have a scholarship but it is for architecture students. He can't change it just to help Yixing pursue his dream of studying music even though he really wants to.

Zitao watches Joonmyeon stares blankly at the stage. It is just like Joonmyeon, always overly thinking how to help others in need. He throws his gaze around the club, looking at the random couples and groups that came to enjoy themselves when suddenly an idea hits him. He looks at Joonmyeon before stands up and sits beside the older.

Joonmyeon was surprised when Zitao pulled him close and whisper something to his ear. He stares at the younger in confusion but is reply with a nod and smile etched on the face.

"It is perfect, ge." Zitao reassures Joonmyeon as his childhood friend keeps shaking his head, not liking his idea.

"But..."

"Why don't you ask him first? If he doesn't want it, then we can't do anything about it." Zitao stands and goes back to his seat.

Joonmyeon didn't noticed the music has stopped and smiles when he sees Baekhyun walking toward him, before pulling a chair and sits beside Zitao that is sitting across him.

"Hyung, you were great! You should just become the vocal!" Zitao pats the small guy beside him. He didn't noticed the last time when Baekhyun sang at the contest because his mind was occupied with the third prized stuffed panda but the guy was great. No wonder he got the first place.

Baekhyun winces at the Chinese male's pats. He swats the hand away before taking a sip of his drink and leans back to the chair. "I don't want to become the vocal. Why don't you become the vocal?" He slaps Zitao's back hard.

Joonmyeon watches as the two guys across him hitting each other. Baekhyun's singing is indeed great. He is no match for him. He looks up when he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Hey."

"Hey." Yixing shakes his head at the scene in front of him that turns from hitting into biting. He glances at Joonmyeon after taking a seat beside the new friend, asking with his eyes if they should stop the two people and got a shake as an answer.

"Hyung, are you sure you want to do this?" Zitao turns to face Yixing while his hand still slapping Baekhyun's arm.

Yixing leans deeper into his seat. As much as he wants to keep playing with the band, he can't be too selfish. The other band members have their dreams too and who is he to stop them.

Baekhyun stares at his best friend that is couldn't hide his sadness. "Hyung, maybe you can find another club to play at or, find another band members."

Yixing forces a smile and shakes his head. "I think this is a sign that I should stop dreaming and focus on other important things."

Baekhyun sighs. "Hyung..."

Zitao tells Joonmyeon with his eyes to talk to Yixing about his plan but the older keep shaking his head. He sighs because it looks like he has to handle it by himself. "Yixing ge."

"Hm?"

"Do you really want to study music?"

Baekhyun frowns at Zitao's question and the frown getting deeper when he sees Joonmyeon shaking his head. He turns to face Yixing that has a small smile on his face.

"Joonmyeon ge can help you."

Joonmyeon swallows as three pairs of eyes are looking at him which each has different meanings. "I... but..."

Yixing's eyes are fixed at the beautiful male beside him. Although they just met and he shouldn't easily trust people blindly, he is desperate. He can't really hide his jealousy when the other band members told him that they have their own path to go. Meeting with Joonmyeon on this day, Heaven must have heard his prayer and sent the kind man to him.

Baekhyun nudges Zitao's arm. He wants to know more and the younger can't let them hanging like this.

Zitao smiles as he looks straight at Yixing. "I hope you are not dating anyone right now..."