Eight

The Road To Me

Joonmyeon opens the door of his office to find Jongin sitting behind his drafting table, spinning on the stool. He shifts his gaze to the sofa and sees Kyungsoo is sitting there, with his head down and hands playing with the end of his shirt. He closes the door and sees Jongin has stop spinning.

"Oh? Joonmyeon hyung." Jongin glances at his wrist watch. "Finally. You know how long we waited for you?" He spins as his eyes follow his cousin to his desk. "Why are you late?"

Joonmyeon puts his bag down on the floor, before taking a seat on his chair. He smiles when he notices Kyungsoo is already standing up and on his feet while looking at him. "I had brunch with a friend." He stares straight at his younger cousin in questioned. Jongin rarely come to the company even when he being asked to but now he is here in his office, waiting for him. And his little cousin hate waiting.

"What friend?" Jongin stands and walks toward Kyungsoo that is looking down at his own feet. He sits on the sofa and pulls the small male's hand to do the same. "Ah! Was the friend is your future fiance? What is his name?" He turns to his side. "Soo."

Kyungsoo blinks as he sees Jongin's cousin is staring at him. His focus shifts to Jongin when he felt a hand on his thigh. "Yi... Yixing."

"Right! Yixing. If he is the reason for you lateness, I can understand. You guys need to plan your wedding. Just like me and Soo."

Joonmyeon wanted to deny but it was stopped as he watches Jongin caressing Kyungsoo's hair, before kissing the male on his cheek. He notices Kyungsoo didn't shy away from the gestures and it got him thinking. Does Kyungsoo really just some random person Jongin picked? If that is really the case, then the gestures are not needed and Kyungsoo could have just decline them.

"Now that you are here, let me get to the point."

Joonmyeon fixes his eyes on the couple as they walk toward his desk. He forgot that Jongin didn't tell him yet his reason for coming to the company and being in his office. He looks at Kyungsoo and frowns as the male keeps avoiding his eyes.

"Meet your new assistant." Jongin pushes Kyungsoo to the front and stands behind him. "He will work for you starting today."

Joonmyeon blinks. What is Jongin talking about?

"I already fired your assistant, hm... what's-his-name so Kyungsoo will be helping you from now on."

Joonmyeon's eyes widen at the news and abruptly stands up, almost knocking down his chair. "You, what?!"

Kyungsoo flinches as Joonmyeon was practically screaming the question that is directed to Jongin that is standing behind him. He can only stay silence as the two cousin yelling at each other. He tried to stop Jongin from going with his plan but the male said it is for his own good. He said Joonmyeon is the best at what he does and with him as Joonmyeon's assistant, he will be a succesful architect in no time. And he has to become one no matter what.

"Would you just relax?! I am not that heartless! I already got him a job at another company so stop yelling!"

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath before plops himself on his chair. Hearing the statement made him calm down a bit but still, how could Jongin fired his assistant without telling him first? The same goes for his assistant. They have been working together for years and he just left him without saying a word? Is he a bad leader? Did the male just waiting for a better offer and have no choice but to stuck with him? He takes another deep breath before looking at the couple in front of his desk.

"You don't have to worry about a thing. Kyungsoo is 100 times better than what's-his-name. He will make the company and you proud to have him work here." Jongin pats Kyungsoo's head. "Isn't that right, Soo?"

"I will work hard and try not to be a burden to you, Joonmyeon hyung."

Joonmyeon stares as Kyungsoo bowing at him and not lifting his head until Jongin pulls him up. He stares at the doe-eyed male and sighs. Kyungsoo is just following Jongin's idea and he understand that there isn't much he can't do reject the offer. He smiles when his eyes met with Kyungsoo's wide ones.

"It settles then." Jongin caresses Kyungsoo's hair. "You will do me proud. I know it."

Joonmyeon watches as Jongin brings Kyungsoo's hand to his lips and kisses it affectionately. He starts to believe that Kyungsoo isn't just some random person Jongin picked and get married to just so he could take over the company. He was sure Jongin didn't dated anyone before his marriage but he barely know his cousin anymore. Maybe Jongin really loves Kyungsoo because there is no point showing the affections in front of him. He furrows when Jongin pulling Kyungsoo and starts walking to the door. "Where are you guys going?"

Kyungsoo stops his steps when Jongin didn't and tugs the male's hand. He couldn't give Joonmyeon an answer as he too didn't know where Jongin is taking him.

Jongin sighs and turns to face Joonmyeon. "We are going on a date."

Joonmyeon's eyes widen. "But you said..."

"I know what I said. I'm not ready to let him work yet so Kyungsoo will start working tomorrow. You can handle a day without assistant, right? Afterall, aren't you the almighty Kim Joonmyeon?"

Joonmyeon couldn't retort back as Jongin already closes his office door.

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

Jongdae watches as Joonmyeon pulling up the blanket and covering the person that is lying on the bed. His mind is still trying to comprehend the information that came out from his young master's mouth just now.

Joonmyeon shakes his head when he turns and sees Jongdae is staring blankly at him. He walks toward the younger and waves his hand in front of the face but still didn't get any reaction. "Jongdae."

Jongdae jumps a little when he realizes Joonmyeon is just inches away from him. He blinks a few times before returning Joonmyeon's smile.

"Don't be that shocked. We both see this coming."

Jongdae follows behind as Joonmyeon walks out from the bedroom. He wonders how can his young master be this calm after what happened. "But hyung..."

"Hm?"

"It's too soon. They just got married yesterday and now Kyungsoo is working for you as your assistant?" Jongdae huffs. "Jongin is going too far!"

Joonmyeon smiles weakly as he steps into the kitchen. He pulls out a chair and takes a seat. He doesn't know how to react to that. He watches as Jongdae put a glass in front of him and pours some water into it.

"I had my suspicion when I found out that Kyungsoo studies architecture but this is all too soon. Maybe that is Jongin's way to take over the company but making Kyungsoo as your assistant?" Jongdae looks at Joonmyeon that is finishing his water. "What about his studies? He is still in school. Being an assistant isn't easy."

Joonmyeon looks down at his empty glass. Being his assistant isn't easy and with Kyungsoo still in school, his life will just get tougher. If Kyungsoo is really Jongin's way for him to take part and control the company, then making Kyungsoo's life hard isn't a very good idea. He looks up and stares at Jongdae. "Maybe Jongin has his way." He glances at the clock that is hanging on the kitchen wall when he heard it chimed.

"Tao is late."

Joonmyeon smiles as he watches Jongdae setting up the table. Zitao is indeed late. The Chinese male supposed to arrive half an hour ago. He was just fishing his phone from his pocket to call the younger when he heard footsteps outside the kitchen.

"Ge, sorry I'm late." Zitao walks toward Joonmyeon and ruffles the older's hair before his hand being flicked away by an annoyed Joonmyeon. "But it wasn't my fault."

Jongdae looks up to Zitao after putting the tray of lasagna in the middle of the dinner table. "Then, who was it?"

"Yifan ge's boss." Zitao pulls out the chair beside Joonmyeon and sits. He picks up a shrimp and puts it in his mouth. "And Yifan ge's house."

"Don't talk with your mouth full." Jongdae rolls his eyes and notices someone is standing at the door. "Oh? Why are you standing there? Come in."

Joonmyeon watches as Jongdae pulling out the chair across him. He turns and sees someone passes right beside him before sitting across him.

"Ge, this is Yifan ge, Yixing ge's older brother. He..." Zitao pauses as he being shot glares by Jongdae because his mouth is still full with food. He sees Joonmyeon smiling while looking at Yifan and continues chewing his food.

"Hi, I'm Joonmyeon." Joonmyeon holds out his hand for a handshake but had to retrieve back when he got nothing in reply. He smiles as he couldn't blame Yixing's brother for his action. "I'm sorry I couldn't meet you yesterday. It would be better to discuss this matter with Yixing with us."

Yifan stares blankly at the person across him. So, this is the 'Joonmyeon' that Yixing was supposed to marry. He notices how pale the male's skin is. He looks decent enough so why does he had to choose his brother to get married too? With that face, he shouldn't have any difficulty to find someone else.

"Yifan ge, why aren't you eating?"

Yifan shifts his gaze to the younger before looking down at his own plate where a slice of lasagna is being placed on it.

Joonmyeon furrows as he looking at Yixing's brother that is staring at the food in front of him without moving an inch. "Did you not like it? Do you want something else?" He cranes his neck to look at Jongdae that is standing behind the stove. "Jongdae."

"Yes?"

"Could you..."

Yifan raises his hand to cut off the pale male's words. "No." He grabs the fork beside the plate. "It's fine. Don't mind me."

Joonmyeon watches as Yixing's brother taking a bite of Jongdae's lasagna and smiles as another bite is taken. The lasagna is his favorite and that is why he asked Jongdae to prepare it for Yixing's brother for tonight. Zitao told him that he had invited Yixing's brother to dinner as soon as he and Jongdae came back yesterday and he thought it was a great idea because it is really rude to marry someone without meeting their family first.

Zitao notices how Joonmyeon is smiling every time Yifan takes a bite of the food on his plate. He is looking so proud as if he was the one cooking it. He smirks as he remembers the actual reason he invited Yixing's brother to tonight's dinner.

Jongdae shakes his head as he sees Zitao's smirk hasn't left his face even though the dinner is finished and dessert is served. He nudges the younger's side as he puts down a small plate of cherry pie in front of him.

Zitao turns to the side and smiles at Jongdae that is shaking his head while looking at him. He ignores the older and turns to face Joonmyeon that already eaten half of his pie.

Yifan blinks as the person that is sitting across him trying to take a bite of the younger's cherry pie as he has finished his own but receives a smack on the arm instead.

"This is mine!"

"But..."

"Hyung, you have a guest."

Joonmyeon pulls back his arms that were draping on Zitao's shoulders as realization dawned upon him. He smiles awkwardly at Yixing's brother as he fixes his clothes. "Ah, sorry."

"This is what you have to put up with in the future." Zitao takes a bite of his dessert. "He will turn into a hungry bunny in front of food." He ignores the glare Joonmyeon sends him.

"You can have mine." Yifan pushes his plate toward the pale male and notices the small eyes become widen at his words.

"Really?" Joonmyeon beams and was reaching for the pie when he caught Jongdae looking at him with the corner of his eyes. He sighs before shaking his head. "It's okay. I'm already full actually."

"But..."

"No, it's fine."

Zitao chuckles at the situation. "So cute! You guys already look like a married couple, sharing food with each other." He turns to look at Jongdae. "Isn't that right, ge?"

Joonmyeon chokes on the water that he was drinking when he heard the words that came out from his childhood friend. What in the world is Zitao talking about?

Jongdae rolls his eyes as he rubs Joonmyeon's back. He should have known Zitao would blurted out the news like that instead of saying it properly. "Hyung."

Joonmyeon turns to face Jongdae that is looking at him apologetically.

"You are not going to marry Yixing."

Joonmyeon blinks.

"That is right." Zitao puts down his empty glass and leans back at his seat. He smiles when his childhood friend tilting his head while looking at him. "You are going to marry Yifan ge instead."

Joonmyeon snaps his head to look at the person that is sitting across him. "Wha..." He turns to face Jongdae when Yixing's brother didn't give him any reaction. "What?"

Jongdae nods. He couldn't help feeling guilty revealing the news like this to his young master but once Zitao made up his mind, there is no stopping him. He gave up doing that a long time ago so he just keep quiet about how Yifan offered to marry Joonmyeon instead of Yixing. To be honest, he prefers Yifan more than Yixing for many reasons but the main is with Yifan's tall figure and stoic face, it seems the Chinese male could support his young master when dealing with Jongin or other people that not very kind to Joonmyeon.

Joonmyeon stands up and looking down at Zitao. "You, come with me!" He pulls the younger to stand.

"Ge!" Zitao tries to free his arm from the tiny hand but the grip is tight so he doesn't have a choice but to follow Joonmyeon exits the kitchen.

Yifan doesn't know how to react at the situation that he is currently in. He thought tonight's dinner is about getting to know about this 'Joonmyeon' that he's going to marry but looks like that is not the case.

"I'm sorry."

Yifan turns to his side.

"This is what we are." Jongdae looks down at the Chinese male. "Are you sure you still want to do this? We didn't tell Yixing yet so..."

Yifan shakes his head. "No. It's fine. I understand." He takes a deep breath. "About Yixing, I will tell him myself. I just hope you will carry out your end of the bargain."

Jongdae nods. "We will." He looks up when he heard a shriek and sees Joonmyeon entering the kitchen with Zitao following him behind, a hand rubbing his forehead.

Yifan stands when the pale male stops beside him with a weak smile on his face.

"If you don't mind, I am okay with it."