07

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

7

RECAP

“What an annoying guy. Why can’t he mind his own business? I hate him! I hate you Cho Kyuhyun! Ah what am I saying? I like Cho Kyuhyun that is why I am this hurt. I like you Kyuhyun.”

“Amber?”

Amber’s eyes widen as she heard his voice. She swallowed her saliva before she turned toward the source of the voice behind her, “Just now ... did you hear?”

Kyuhyun looked back at her with a blank face, “No, I didn’t hear anything.”

“No, you heard didn’t you?”

He stood there in silence as he looked at her, “... yeah, everything.”

 

 

Kyuhyun stood there in silence as Amber looked back at him. Her eyes are red from crying. The world around them evaporated and it was just the two of them that existed. Everything around Amber had moved in slow motion. Kyuhyun reached out his hand and offered it to help her up. She reluctantly moved her hand toward his, but before she could grasp Kyuhyun’s hand another hand slapped his hand away from her. The same hand gently took hold of waist and drawn her up from the ground. She titled her head backward to see who it was, “Ki ... kwang?”

He looked down at her and she can see the malice in his eyes. He took of the cap on his head and placed it on her head. She saw his fist tighten as he stepped closer to Kyuhyun, “Don’t!” She pulled him back.

“What did he do to you?” Kikwang’s eyes still on Kyuhyun as his arm enclosed tighter around her waist.

“Nothing,” Amber said as she struggled to shove Kikwang away from her, but he was stronger and it just made him tighten his embrace. “He did nothing so let me go!”

Kikwang looked at Kyuhyun up and down, “Who are you and why was Amber crying?”

Kyuhyun looked at the two of them. He was curious as what their relationship is, but when he realized that Amber struggled to get away from this man she called Kikwang he step toward them quickly secured his hand around her arm and kicked Kikwang’s knee. This caused him to relinquish his hold on Amber, “I’m her friend and I don’t think she wanted to be held by you like that.” He turned and whispered in Amber’s ear, “Nod if you don’t want to be near this man.” Amber nodded and Kyuhyun turned her around and ran away from Kikwang.

Kikwang stood there in shock before he started after them, but by then they had crossed the street and vanished from him, “Damn it! Who the heck was that guy and why was she crying? You will pay for what you did, whoever you are. I’m the only one that is allowed to make her cry.” Who would think that this always smiling man with an angel face have a darker side to him.

[-]*[-]*[-]

 

Kyuhyun held Amber’s hand tight as the two of them ran through the streets of Seoul. Amber felt like her heart was going to burst from her chest. Not because they were running – maybe that too – but it was because Kyuhyun was holding her hand.

 

They ended up ‘Building 63.” How they got up there the two of them had no clue, but it was just right before the sunset. The two of them sat down on a bench and tried to catch their breath.

Kyuhyun looked at Amber and took Kikwang hat off her head, “Who was that guy back there? You called him Kikwang so you must know him.” He ruffled her hair with his hands, which caused the heat that Amber can feel in her face.

Amber wiped the sweat off of her forehead with the back of her hand, trying to hide the fact that she was blushing, “Stop doing that.”

“Do what?”

“You’re too nice,” she reached for Kikwang’s hat and placed it back on her head. Anything to hid her face from Kyuhyun. “It’s misleading.”

He chuckled, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to ... mislead. This is just how I am.”

“I know,” Amber smiled.

“Anyway, back to my question earlier,” he looked at her. “Who was that guy?”

Amber sighed, “He’s my team’s physiotherapist.”

“It seem liked he care for you more than a therapist should,” Kyuhyun opened up his bag pack, rummaged around inside and pulled out a bottle of water. He opened it and handed it over to Amber. She took it and gulped down the water. “He held onto you so tight. If I didn’t know better I would’ve thought he was your boyfriend.”

Amber nervously laughed and handed the water bottle back to Kyuhyun, which is now half full, “It’s a long story. I don’t think you have time for it. I promise I will tell you about it ... one day.”

“I have time,” Kyuhyun drank the rest of the water from the same bottle.

Amber chewed on her lips. She got up and walked toward the edge of the building, which is surrounded by wired fence, “It’s complicated. You wouldn’t understand.” She sighed as Kyuhyun walked up beside her.

“Try me.”

She turned and looked at Kyuhyun, “Then can you promise me one thing?” He nodded. “Don’t tell my brother about Kikwang. Don’t mention his name.”

“Why?”

She looked away from him, “By the way weren’t you on your way somewhere earlier?”

Kyuhyun eyes widen and looked at his watch, “Shoot! I’m going to be late for work!”

“You better go then and we can talk about it another day,” Amber smiled weakly at him. “Go! Before you’re late! You don’t want to be fire do you?”

Kyuhyun smiled, took off the hat again and ruffled her hair before he ran off. Amber touched her head where his hand had been and stared off into the sunset. She placed her fingers through the wired fence as she rested her head on it. She closed he eyes and remain there for a while when her phone rang. She slowly reached into her pocket, looked at the caller ID and answered, “What do you want?”

“Do you think it was a good idea? Running away from me with another man?” Kikwang asked. He doesn’t have that friendly tone in him anymore. He was livid. “Did you forget that you belong ...”

“Stop it! I don’t belong to you or anyone!” Amber cut him off and hung up the phone. She turned it off and placed it back in her pocket. She started down the building. “Hae I need you right now. Why are you never around when I need you the most? Back then and even now.”

[-]*[-]*[-]

Donghae stood in front of an apartment building located inside Duke University in North Carolina. Duke is well known for their basketball team and that was where his little sister spends her time when she was living in the United States. He looked down at the piece of paper in his hand and looked back up at the building’s name plate. He walked in and started to climb the stair. According to the address that he received the person that he is looking for stayed in an apartment on the fifth floor. He arrived at the room and the plate on the door notified in that he was at the right location, room number 501. He knocked and her rustling noise on the other side of the door. A man yelled, “Coming!”

A tall, slim, redhead man opened the door. The man towered over Donghae. He seems to be over six foot tall or maybe closer to seven feet. He looked down at Donghae and smiled, “How can I help you?”

Donghae rechecked the piece of paper in his hand and looked back up at the man, “I’m looking for Kikwang. Is he here?”

The redhead man looked at him with a puzzled looked, “Kikwang? I don’t know anyone by that name.”

Donghae scratched the back of his head, “Oh! AJ do you know him? His Korean, Asian, and smiles a lot”

The redhead man’s mouth formed an O shape, “AJ yes he lived here, but not anymore.”

“Would you know which building he moved to?” Donghae asked.

The redhead man smiled, “He went home.”

Donghae dropped the piece of paper in his hand but clutched onto a brown envelop that was in his other hand, “Home?”

“Yes he went back to Korea months ago,” he smiled. “Do you need anything else?”

“No thank you,” Donghae bowed out of habit and turned toward the stairs when the redhead man cried out after him. “He said that he was going to get his girl back or something like that.”

Donghae ran down the stair, pulled out his phone and dialled a number, “YOU LIED TO ME! YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO BE HERE WAITING TO SIGN THE PAPERS! LEAVE HER ALONE! DON’T YOU DARE TOUCHED HER! I’M COMING BACK TO GET YOU! I WOULDN’T LET HER STOP ME LIKE SHE DID THE LAST TIME!” He yelled at the other person on the other end of the phone. People were looking at him as he ran past them, but he didn’t care.

The man at the other end of the line snickered, “Sorry, but I been spending time with her since I got back. What is her reason for not telling you that I’m back? I let her believe that I let her go the last time, but I wouldn’t do that this time. She belongs to me! I wouldn’t let you come between us this time. I would do anything to bring her back to me.” He snapped his phone shut. Donghae stopped running as he listen to the busy ringtone.