What does it mean to be in love?

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

“So, you were rejected by Kyuhyun?” Seohyun and Amber had arrived at the cafe before the men. Amber decided to fill Seohyun in on what had happened to her this past week. “And Jonghyun confessed to you.”

“Yeah ...” Amber nodded. “I didn’t know Kyuhyun was going to be there when I muttered out those words. We are good for now ...”

Seohyun pushed the plate of chocolate cake over toward Amber, “His girlfriend was just threatened by you. Don’t worry too much about it.”

“But ...” Amber trailed off as she put a piece of cake in .

“You’re an honest person, Amber.” Seohyun took a sip of her tea. “You said it as you see it. I don’t think you were being harsh. I kind of understand where Kyuhyun stands. I no longer trust those who choose to have another relationship on the side, while they are married.”

Amber sighed, “But our friendship could be over because of it.”

“Let me ask you this,” Seohyun took a piece of cake from Amber’s plate. “What kind of friendship is it if he doesn’t trust his own friend?”

Amber’s eyebrows knotted together. She opened to say something but the three men had walked into the cafe. They wave at Seohyun and Amber, and the women waved back at them. The three of them had ordered beer as they sat down at the table. Ryeowook sat next to Amber, Kyuhyun across from her and Jonghyun across from Seohyun.

The atmosphere around the table was tensed and no one seems to what to speak up first. Seohyun looked around the table, “What is wrong with everyone today?”

They finally started to smiled. Jonghyun looked at Amber as he gulped down his beer, “Amber, you look really nice today.”

Amber looked down at what she was wore, which as a large black and white strip sweater and her favourite pair of black jeans, “Ah, thank you.”

Kyuhyun tilted his head as he tried to listen to the song that was playing in the background, “This song ...”

“I know this song. It’s by Chicago.” Amber said as she listens to it.

Ryeowook nodded, “Yeah, Hard to Say I’m Sorry.”

“This song is a love song about wanting to be frank with the person you like,” Kyuhyun said.

"I have an idea," Ryeowook leaned into the table, as he rested his chin in his hand, “Let’s call our club, the Truth Club. When we’re outside, we can’t help but to tell different kinds of lies, and can’t help but to show off. However, here we have to tell the truth.”

“That sound good,” Seohyun smiled at him. “Okay, then to commemorate the Truth Club, let’s play a game. We each have to tell the truth.”

“Okay then we can use this,” Kyuhyun brought out his phone. “It’s an app. Press the middle button, it will turn and stop at a name.” He pressed the button and it landed on Seohyun’s name.

She smiled cheekily, “I decided that I’m going to find a man; a real man!”

The rest of them said in unison, “Eh?”

Seohyun just laughed and pressed the button for the next name. It landed on Kyuhyun’s name next. With that the tension that they felt before had vanished and all of them started to enjoy the night together. They had lied about being good with their jobs, but they all told the truth about that to each other that night.

Jonghyun bowed at all of them, “I’m sorry I lied. I was afraid that I wasn’t going to be able to make any friends.”

Kyuhyun walked over to him and put his arm around his shoulders, “Making friends and work are irrelevant to each other. We all are friends.”

Ryeowook nodded, “Yup, that’s right!”

Seohyun got up from the table and held Amber’s arm, “I have to go to the washroom can you come with me?” Amber nodded and followed her.  

While they were in the washroom, Seohyun turned to Amber, “The reason I tried to take my life ... was because I was pregnant and the guy that got me pregnant doesn’t want to take care of me. However, I lost the baby.”

Amber looked at her friend with worried, “Why have you never told me?”

“I’m afraid that you will look down on me.”

Amber pulled Seohyun in for a hug, “I would never do that. I would always be there for you.”

“Really?” and Amber nodded and smiled.

Back at the table Ryeowook told Jonghyun his good news, “I gave your demo tape to my dad and he is interested in you. He would like to meet up with you next Monday. I give to the exact information later.”

“This is for real? You’re not lying?” Jonghyun looked at Ryeowook with shock.

“Of course not,” Ryeowook smiled.

Kyuhyun placed his arms around Ryeowook and Jonghyun’s shoulders, “This is really good!”

[*][*][*]

Yuri was surrounded by a few empty wine bottles. She can’t get Amber’s word out of her head. She picked up and empty wine bottle and tried to pour what is left in there into her glass, but once she realized that there is nothing in there she threw the glass on the floor, which caused it to break into pieces. She looked down at a shard of glass on the ground next to her, picked it up and cut herself on the arm.

[*][*][*]

It was a beautiful Monday at Kyuhyun’s apartment; Yuri came to visit him in the morning with a piece of news. It was something that Kyuhyun doesn’t want to believe, “You’re kidding right? Amber she ...”

“It’s true. We bumped into each other on the street and went to get some tea together. Somehow our chatting just turned into a fight. She got too impulsive and threw a cup at me.” She lifted her arm up toward Kyuhyun, “This cut came from the broken shards.”

Kyuhyun stood there in a daze, “How could she ...”

“It’s my fault.”

“What did she say?”

Yuri looked away from Kyuhyun and smiled, “She said I was just playing around. That we only have a physical relationship.”

Kyuhyun kneeled down in front of her, “Let me look at your wound.” He unravelled the bandage gently. “It’s so deep.”

“It’s fine.”

“How can it be fine?” Kyuhyun raised his voice.

Yuri smiled and hugged him, “its fine. As long as you’re next to me, everything is alright.”

[*][*][*]

Jonghyun had a great meeting with Ryeowook’s father. He was offered a contract with the company. As he walked home he thought of Amber and stopped at a flower shop. He wanted to celebrate this news with Amber. Althought he will just be a trainee, until he can debut, but it was still better than the situation he was in before.

[*][*][*]

Amber ran – more of a quick walk – toward the park as it started to rain. She had forgotten her umbrella and she tried to get home before she got soaked. She stopped when she saw Kyuhyun, “Hey!”

Instead of his usually smile he glared back at her, “Did you met up with Yuri-ssi?”

“Eh?”

“Why did you do that?”

“Do ... what?”

“You hurt her.”

“Why would I do that?”

Kyuhyun sighed, “She was cut by glass shards.”

Amber clenched her fist around the strap of her bag pack, “That’s a lie. The cup broke but getting hurt ...” Amber looked down and then back up at Kyuhyun. “You don’t believe me? You think I would do something like that?”

With a blank face Kyuhyun looked at Amber, “Just ... stay away from her.”

“But Kyuhyun, she’s already married ...”

“Don’t talk about other people’s business,” he cut her off.

“But I don’t think that’s a good thing,” Amber glared back at Kyuhyun.

“It doesn’t matter!” he snapped at her. “It doesn’t matter whether she’s married or not!”

Amber who was now on the verged of tears, but continued because she felt that what he’s doing is not right, “What about you future? You will keep on dating her, but she’s already married, so what about your future?”

“It’s none of your business, right?” After that he turned and walked away from her. She ran after him unconsciously and grabbed hold of his arm.

The tears that she tried to hold back came streaming down, mixing with the rain water, “Believe me. I had nothing to do with her cut.”

Kyuhyun shoved her away, which cause Amber to fall onto the ground, “Shut up!” He looked down at her as his tears started to fall. “I don’t want to be disliked by her because of something like this.”

“You love her so much?” Defeated Amber stayed on the ground as Kyuhyun walked away from her. She slowly got up from the ground, but the tears never stopped. It rained down harder on her, as she walked aimlessly.

“Amber!” she looked up to see Jonghyun standing in front of her apartment. He smiled as he walked over to her and placed his umbrella over her. “These flowers are for you. I hope you like ...” Before he could finished his sentence Amber put her arms around him and hugged him tightly. He dropped the umbrella in his hand and hugged her back. “Amber, I like you.”

“What does it mean to like someone?” Amber asked him.

In that moment, because the two of them was so involved in the moment they didn’t noticed Kyuhyun standing there looking at the two of them. In Kyuhyun’s hand was an umbrella.

Jonghyun let go of Amber as he stared into her eyes, “I’m sorry. You were crying just now.” Amber scrunched her lips together. “It’s not a good idea to tell you this when you’re crying.” He handed her the bouquet of flowers and his umbrella.

Amber pushed the umbrella back in his hand and nodded her head toward the entrance of her apartment building, “I’m alright. My apartment is just right here.”

“I want you to cheer up,” he smiled at her. Brought up his hand and made it into a fist, “Fight!” He turned and walked away.

Amber wiped her tears with the back of her hand, looked down at the flowers he got her, “Jonghyun! Thanks for this.” She smiled at him, which he returned with a brighter smiled. He waved, turned and walked away from her.

Kyuhyun who saw the whole thing clenched his hand around the umbrella handle. He took a step toward Amber, but stopped. He looked at her rain drenched back. Would she ever forgive me for what I’d done? He turned around and walked away.

======

A/N

I don't mean to make Yuri into such a bad person. Please forgive me >.<