Lover or Friend?

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

Seohyun and Amber walked through the street of Seoul. It was a Sunday and the sun was shining brightly on the two of them. People walked about around them, enjoying the hot sun as much as they are, “So he hurt you!”

“Well ... he sort of shoved me,” Amber said.

Seohyun shook her head, “He’s unworthy of being a man to be violent like that. It’s crazy to believe that you would hurt Yuri-ssi in the first place.”

Amber sighed, “I shouldn’t worry you over something like this.”

Seohyun smiled and wrapped her arm around Amber’s shoulder, “What are friend for right?” Amber grinned from that comment. “Let’s go shopping and get some ice cream afterward!” Seohyun said as she dragged Amber toward one of the store.

Amber’s phone started to beeped, she pulled it out from her pants pocket and looked at the message together with Seohyun.

Let’s celebrate at the cafe later today. Since, Jonghyun got his contracted signed he will treat us. – Wookie

“You don’t feel like going do you?” Seohyun said.

Amber bit down on her bottom lip, “I’ll go. It’s to celebrate Jonghyun’s success right?”

[*][*][*]

Later that night they all met up at the cafe. In the same table that they sat at before, Amber sat across from Ryeowook, Kyuhyun to the right of him, Jonghyun to the right of Kyuhyun, and Seohyun next to Amber and to the right of Jonghyun. Ryeowook got up and raised his glass, “I would like to congratulate our friend, Jonghyun, on his success.” The rest of the group raised their glasses and brought them together in celebration.

Jonghyun, Seohyun and Ryeowook were playing foosball in the corner of the cafe. Kyuhyun sat at the table by himself. Amber who excused herself to go to the washroom earlier return back to the table, “Don’t you want to go play foosball with them?”

She turned at looked at the three and answered him politely, “Why don’t you go play?”

“I don’t like it that much.”

She nodded and because she doesn’t want to be alone with him, “Then ... I’ll go play.” She turned toward the other. Kyuhyun got up and held her back. Jonghyun noticed this and turned his attention to the two of them.

“I went after you at that time ...” he face was as mask of remorse.

Amber looked at him confused, “What do you mean?”

However, the two of them was interrupted by Jonghyun, “It’s so hot. Are you hot?” He pulled Kyuhyun away from Amber. Amber scrounged her brows together and decided to go toward Seohyun but was stopped by Jonghyun, “Amber, what happened? Do you have a stomach ache? Your face doesn’t look too good.”

Amber realized that she wasn’t smiling and so she tried to pull a corner of her lips up into a smile, “I’m fine. Nothing happened.”

Jonghyun smiled back at her, but he didn’t drop the topic, “Amber, did Kyuhyun do anything to you?” He had inkling that the person who made Amber cried that night was Kyuhyun.

Amber shook her head, “No. I borrowed something from him and I was just telling him that I have to return it.”

Kyuhyun looked uncomfortable between the two of them. Jonghyun continued to ask Amber questions without realizing the atmosphere around them, “You mean that day when I went to your home?” Amber took a quick glance at Kyuhyun and so did Jonghyun, “That’s right ... at that time, Amber was crying, wasn’t she? Were you the one who made her cry? Why would you make her cry?”

Kyuhyun sighed as he shifted in his seat, “I couldn’t forgive her, because she hurt my precious someone.”

Amber muttered nervously, “That’s not true ...”

Jonghyun got up and stepped closer to Kyuhyun, “You heard what she said. Why don’t you believe her?” Kyuhyun looked away from him, which enraged Jonghyun. He grabbed Kyuhyun by the collar, “Listen! Amber’s not the type of person to lie!” This caused for Ryeowook and Seohyun to run toward them.

Kyuhyun shrugged Jonghyun off of him, “Let go of me. It’s none of your business. It’s our business.”

“Our?”

“It’s Amber’s and my business.”

Jonghyun exhaled, “What do you mean by that? We are friends, right? Why don’t you believe her? She’s not the kind of person to hurt someone.” He grabbed Kyuhyun collar again, but this time Kyuhyun grabbed him back as well.

“I also know that without you telling me! I don’t want you telling me about Amber,” Kyuhyun shoved Jonghyun to the ground.

Amber looked on as Ryeowook ran over to help Jonghyun up, “Stop it you guys!”

Jonghyun pushed Ryeowook away, got back up and landed a punch on Kyuhyun’s face. Kyuhyun spun around, but Amber jumped in between the two of them. She held Kyuhyun back, while Ryeowook and Seohyun held Jonghyun back. Blood dripped from the corner of Kyuhyun month, where Jonghyun punched him.

[*][*][*]

Ryeowook stood in front of his father’s company. He haven’t stepped foot there since he left home. As he contemplated on entering the Seohyun came up behind him, “Boo!”

He jumped, “You scared me!”

She chuckled, “What are you doing here?”

“Jonghyun called said that he needed my help,” Ryeowook said.

“Oh! He called us to come over too,” Seohyun and Ryeowook turned around to see Amber and Kyuhyun standing behind them. Seohyun leaned closer to whisper to Ryeowook. “I dragged Kyuhyun along. Let’s try and have them make up.” Ryeowook nodded.

“Ryeowook,” that was a voice that he dreaded. He turned around to see his father standing in front of the building. “What are you doing here?”

He bowed at his father and the rest followed, “Jonghyun called us over.”

His father nodded, “I asked him to help out with a new project. I told him that he can ask for help from his friends.” He walked closer to Ryeowook, “Don’t screw it up and don’t forget the marriage meeting.” He turned to the other and smiled, as he walked away.

Seohyun saw the look on Ryeowook’s face. It was full of pain and angered. She felt how awkward he was with his own father. She turned to Amber and Kyuhyun, “Why don’t you guys head inside first. I have to ask Ryeowook something.”

Amber nodded as she reluctantly followed Kyuhyun inside the building.

[*][*][*]

Seohyun lead Ryeowook to a nearby park. She sat down a small bench and he did the same, “So ... tell me what’s going on between you and your father?”

“It’s nothing,” Ryeowook said as he watched kids played in the ground.

Seohyun laughed lightly, “We’re friends, right?” Ryeowook nodded. “You helped me with my situation before and I think that you need a friend to talk to now. You can’t keep everything inside. You have to let it out.”

“I ...” Ryeowook look at sheepishly.

“Just tell me.”

He sighed, “My family, especially my father, always wanted a certain thing out of me. However, they always compare me to my older brother. How I can’t live up to him, how I would never be like him and how ...” Tears formed in his eyes. He tilted his head backward to prevent it from falling.

Seohyun patted him on the back, “Just let it all out. I’m here for you.”

He sobbed, “He wanted me to have a marriage meeting. An arranged marriage! I can’t believe they would do that to me. I left the house for my freedom, but I will always trap in their cage.”

Seohyun jumped up from the bench and came face to face with Ryeowook, “I have an idea!”

He tilted his head to the side, “What is it?”

She grinned from ear to ear, “I will pretend to be your girlfriend.”

“That’s not fair for you.”

“But, I’m willing to do it,” Seohyun held his hand. “You were there for me when I needed someone. It’s my turn to be here for you.”

“This is not right.”

Seohyun laughed as she pulled him to his feet, “This will be fun. Don’t worry about it. Let’s go back to the building before Kyuhyun and Jonghyun start fighting again.”

“But my parents ...” Ryeowook’s was full or wary. “They are going to be hard on you especially my father. I don’t wish them on anyone.”

She smiled as the two of them walked hand in hand back toward his father’s building, “I like challenges.”

[*][*][*]

Kyuhyun stopped Amber before they entered the building. He bowed his head at her, “I’m sorry. I was too harsh before.” He lifted his head up and faced her. “It’s just that, Yuri-ssi has a complicated life because of various reasons. Her real parent died in a car accident when she was a child. She was taken in by a relative. Then she was asked by her adopted parents to marry an important business trading partner’s son. She had no other choice but to marry him, even thought she was going out with me at the time.”

“I see ..,” Amber looked down at the ground and then back up at Kyuhyun. “I didn’t know. I’m sorry. I said awful things to her then. I might’ve misunderstood her. I’m sorry.”

He nodded, “But ... I wonder if she lied to me ... about the wound on her arm ...”

“I think you should ask her,” she shifted on her legs. “If I were you, I would want to hear it from the person I love and trust the most, instead of other people.”

“Hey guys,” Seohyun put her arm around their shoulders. “Let’s go in!” She held Amber’s hands as the two of them followed behind Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. “I have to go to the washroom. Amber, will you come with me?” Amber nodded as Seohyun led her toward the washroom.

“Meet us in the basement,” Ryeowook cried after them. “We will be there. I’ll tell the receptionist to give you your security tags.”

Once the man was gone, Seohyun turned around and pulled Amber out of the building, “Why?”

Amber’s face was masked by confusion, “Why?”

“I’m sorry, but I overheard most of your conversation,” Seohyun ran her hand through her hair. “Why didn’t you tell him the truth? That you didn’t hurt her.”

“That’s alright,” Amber sat down on a small bench in front of the building.

Seohyun followed her, “Why?”

“Remembered when Jonghyun and Kyuhyun fought?” Seohyun nodded. “Remember what Kyuhyun said when Jonghyun said that I wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“Yeah ... I remembered.”

Amber played with her fingers, “Kyuhyun said that he also know that without Jonghyun telling him. Even though he knew the truth, he wanted to believe that I lied, because he loves Yuri-ssi. He wanted to believe her.”

Seohyun lightly slapped Amber’s shoulder, “You’re too kind.”

Amber leaned back on the bench, “I’ll tell you the truth. Just this once I’ll tell you the truth. Would you listen to me?”

Seohyun nodded, “Of course.”

“I’ll only tell you,” Seohyun nodded. “I want to be with Kyuhyun. It’s alright even if we’re just friends. I want to be with him. If I stir things up right now ... I feel like I can’t be with him anymore. I don’t want to end my friendship with him now.” Amber’s stopped. Her eyes welded up with tears.

“Do you like him that much?” Seohyun looked at her and all Amber could do was trying to swallow back her tears. Seohyun wrapped her warm arms around Amber. “I just now I just hugged your heart. I will protect your heart.”

Amber smiled and then proceeded to laughed, “Are we in that kind of relationship?”

Seohyun laughed along with her, “I’m just protecting my friend.” The two women got up from the bench and walked hand back into the building. Their laughter made people stared at them but they could care less. They found out what the project they had to help Jonghyun with and they weren’t too happy, but did it anyway. Cleaning up the basement of the company helped them forget what had happened between all of the them the other day.

[*][*][*]

Kyuhyun unlocked his apartment and was greeted by Yuri, “Welcome home.”

“Yuri-ssi,” he was shocked. “I didn’t know you were stopping by. I just stopped by to grab something and then I have to run out again.” He took off his shoes and walked toward his bed. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw the pair of pants that Amber had brought for him to replaced the one that she damaged. However, instead of being nicely folded it was ripped into pieces.

Yuri saw what he was looking at and swallowed her saliva, “It’s not what you think.”

Kyuhyun found what he was looking for and walked to the door. He put on his shoes, “I’m running late. We will talk later.” He shut the door, leaving Yuri with insecurities.

[*][*][*]

Seohyun stood up and waved at Kyuhyun, as she saw him entered the restaurant. He smiled and started toward her, “Hey.” He greeted her as he took the seat across from her. “So what do you need to talk about?”

Seohyun bit down on her lips, “It’s about Amber.” Kyuhyun shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “She did do it. I think as you know, she didn’t hurt Yuri-ssi. She easily took your apology, because she still wants to be close to you.”

Kyuhyun snorted, “Nah ... that can’t be.”

“You don’t understand the heart of a female,” Seohyun shook her head. “I think you should go out with Amber.” Kyuhyun smirked and crossed his arms over his chest. “I think you two would make a good couple. You like her, don’t you?”

“I don’t love her in that way.”

“That’s what you tell yourself. Am I wrong?”

“Speaking of that, don’t you think Amber can be happier with Jonghyun than with me?”

Seohyun inhaled deeply, “You’re missing the point!”

“Why?”

“Because ...” she hesitated. “Amber loves you.”

 Kyuhyun scratched the back of his head.