Five Years

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

Five years passed by within a blink of an eye. Amber had become a well known player within the European league. Her teammates - who were unreceptive toward her at first - became like a family to her.

There were many opportunities for Amber to fall in love, but her priorities were the team, her career and there was no time for anything else beyond that.

During her time off she would travelled by train to Milan, which is where Donghae now resided. She spent majority of her holiday and every Christmas with Donghae and his family.

Donghae had found his happiness. He met and married Jessica Jung, a junior fashion designer that worked for an up and coming fashion boutique that situated in Milan or as the local called it, Milano.

Donghae and Jessica had a daughter, who is now three years old and they are expecting another one, which should be due at the end of the year. Amber became and auntie, a title she was extremely proud of.

Jessica had a younger sister, Krystal Jung. Krystal worked as a model on the side while attending Bocconi University in Milan. Krystal was only two years younger than Amber and they became very close with the younger girl and her boyfriend, Lee Jongsuk, whom was also attending Bocconi University.

Jongsuk was enrolled in a program called “World Bachelor in Business,” which was the first bachelor program where students are able to study in three continents over the four years and obtain three diplomas from three universities, University of Southern California, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Bocconi. He was finishing off his last two years at Bocconi and that was how he met Krystal.

They had tried to set Amber up with their friends many times, but they came to learned that although Amber may agreed to go out on dates with them, if you could called it that, she had no interest in getting into that kind of relationship with anyone.

When Amber wasn’t visiting Donghae in Italy she would travelled by herself around Europe. She had a list of places she wanted to see and visit. She wasn’t even half way through the list yet. She had planned to finish off her traveling bucket list when she retired from the team.

Almost five years ago, during one of the many trips around Europe Amber had met and made friend with a fellow backpacker that was staying in the same hostel in Paris as her. He was from Seoul and that was what sparked their conversation.

His name was Bang Yongguk.

Amber learned that he was travelling around Europe to visit all the museums. He was quiet, a little introvert, but once he warmed up to you he would talked you ears off. He was also a great artist. He drew her a few pictures and to this day Amber still had it hanging up on her wall in her apartment in Prague.

For two weeks they toured around France together, the city of Paris, the countryside, the beach, and the wineries.

For the little time they knew each other Yongguk had made Amber felt oddly safe and comfortable around him.

There was no need try hard to impress him. They can sit there in silence and still enjoyed each other’s company. Amber could fart in front of him and not having to worry what he would think of her.

With Yongguk there were no consequences to her actions, no matter how disguising the action might be. Amber never felt that way with anyone, not even with Kyuhyun.

Carefree, that was what being with Yongguk made her feel.

 They went their separate ways after the two weeks, but remained in contact. Amber had gained a very important friend.

Four years ago when Amber visited London she ran into Jonghyun, Lee Jonghyun. He was there for a concert. His band had only debut a year earlier in Korea, but in a short time they had become a household name. Amber listened to every song that they had released. Some of them was heart wrenching. However, lately the songs that they released started to take a light note and Amber hoped that maybe Jonghyun – just like her – had started to heal from the hurt that the two of them caused each other.

Whether it was fate or pure coincidence they had stayed at the same hotel. Jonghyun and his band had arrived five days before the scheduled time. The company was allowing him and his band mates some time to themselves, since they had been working hard without any time off these past few years.

It was an awkward meeting at first, but after they had conversed with each other they realized that the past was behind them. Even though both of them still cared for each other greatly, but that was only because they both had went through a lot together. The two of them came to an agreement that they would like to remain friends.

Amber was happy to have an old friend back; therefore she offered to take him around London, having been there many times herself she became his personal tour guide. She knew how to avoid his group of crazed fan girls. They had a great time together and by the time she left London after attending his concert, the two of them had closed the door to their past and started anew a friendship that will remain forever.

They had kept in contact - whenever there was time that is – since then. The two of them was busy with their own career and they had an understanding that even if they haven’t talked for almost year they can picked up where they had left off.

She had kept in contact with Seohyun and Ryeowook. The couple made sure that Amber Skype with them once a week. Amber didn’t want to think what would happened if she didn’t do what they required of her. Seohyun and Ryeowook together became a deadly force.

Amber watched as the two of them grown closer. They had started to complete each others’ sentences every time Amber chat with them and she found it endearing and annoying at the same time.

As for Cho Kyuhyun, Amber never heard from him, since she walked away from him on that cold autumn night.

Ryeowook remained in contact with him and from time to time he felt the need to filled Amber in with news about Kyuhyun.

According to Ryeowook, Kyuhyun had accomplished a lot with UBISOFT in Quebec, Canada. He even received requests from other companies to work for them, but Kyuhyun liked where he was.

There was also another factor that made Kyuhyun wanting to remain in Quebec. As per Ryeowook, Kyuhyun had met a very nice young woman. Ryeowook didn’t go into much detail about her, but he said that her name was Estelle, a tall blonde and that they had been dating for almost three years now.

Seohyun and Ryeowook would always ask her if Amber regretted the decision she made all those years ago.  Amber’s answered would always be that her only regretted was that she had lost a great friend because of it, but she didn’t regret choosing her career. She didn’t regret walking away from him.

Time gave her time to think. It gave her time to matured and it gave time to come an understanding that she might have loved Kyuhyun back then, that maybe things could have worked between them if she accepted his love for her, but it didn’t happened. She accepted that and there was nothing to be regretful about.

In the present time she was happy. The past is behind her and she would never know what the future would bring. Time gave her the insight that she should lived in the moment. Learn from the past and moved on. Amber felt that she was in a good place in her life.

It might have been hard for her to say "I Love you," back then, but Amber told herself that if she ever found that one person that she love wholeheartedly she would not hesitate to relay her emotions to him.