6

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

As Amber walked out of the subway station – from behind her – she heard her name being called. She turned around and saw Kyuhyun standing in front of the station waving and smiling at her. She grinned, lifted up her hand and waved back at him, “Yo!”

Kyuhyun walked up besides her, “Heading to the cafe?”

Amber nodded and the two of them started to walk, “Sorry about this morning.”

“You should call before you come.”

“Were you busy?”

“I could have been.”

“Were you?”

Kyuhyun smiled shyly, as he ran his hand through his hair, “Well ... I’m an adult after all.”

Amber stopped walking. She kept her head down as she went red in the face, “No way, what are you talking about?”

“It’s a normal human physiological reaction,” he shrugged.

Amber quickly glanced at him before turning around and continued to walk toward the cafe, “I think that is something that you should only do with someone that you are truly in love with.”

Kyuhyun chuckled, “Really? In this day and age, I don’t think those type of people still exist.”

Amber looked down at her feet, “Kyuhyun, I have to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

She turned and looked at him, “Truthfully, I’m not going to be able to heal in time to get the starting position with the team. I was never a star player of the team. I was going to work hard and tryout for the starting position, but with this injury I lost my chance. Unless someone gets hurt ... this will be my last year. I don’t know what I will do after this. I wanted to tell you the truth. I want you to know that I’m not some successful basketball player. I never was.”

“I guess I have to tell you the truth about myself as well,” Kyuhyun smiled weakly at her. “I’m not a computer programmer. I’m just the lackey of a computer programming company. I clean floors, toilets and do menial errands for the staffs.”

“I guess we all have secrets about ourselves,” Amber continued to walked toward the cafe.

Kyuhyun watched as she walked away further from him and then ran to catch up with her, “Why did you just tell me that?”

“I don’t know. I felt like I need to tell you that. I feel like it’s something that you should tell a friend.”

“Friend?”

“Yeah, aren’t we friend?”

Kyuhyun smiled as they reached the cafe. He opened the door for her, “Yes, we are.”

[-][-][-]

Seohyun sat in a small cafe when a man in his early thirties walked up and sat down in the chair across from her. She slowly looked up from her steaming cup of coffee, “So you’re finally meeting me?”

He looked at her apologetically “I’ve been busy.”

“How are things between you and your wife?” she wrapped her small hands around the warm cup of coffee.

“Not good. She’s wouldn’t sign the paper. That’s why I was busy.”

Seohyun looked up at him and smiled weakly, “I hope you work things out with her soon.”

“Why?”

“I think ... I might be,” she lowered down her voice and leaned in closer to him. “Pregnant.”

“What?!” he stood up and yelled, which caused others inside the cafe to look down at him. Seohyun reached over for his wrist and pull him back into his seat. “Are you sure it’s really mine? You were with other people before you met me.”

Seohyun bit down on her bottom lips. Her eyes are now glazed over with water, but she didn’t let them fall down her face. She knew that he would react this way to the news. She wasn’t pregnant, but she wanted to test him. She wanted to see how much he cared for her. When they first met he treated her like she was the center of his world. Then when she gave him her most prized possession, everything went downhill. To top everything all off she found out that he was married. She didn’t expect anything from him, but maybe she did, deep down – she’s hurting.

She slowly stood up grabbed the warm cup of coffee on the table and threw the content of it at the man she once loved. He looked back at her in shock – unable to say anything. She smirked and leaned closer to him, “Don’t worry about the baby. I’m not pregnant. I just wanted to see how much you cared about me. You don’t give a crap about me. All you wanted from me was some fun time. We are over!” She pulled out a set of keys from her coat pocket and threw it at his face. The key landed on the floor next to him. The key cut his cheek as it hit his face. Blood trickled down his face. She walked out of the cafe leaving him there in shock.

She finally let the tears that she had held inside trickled down her cheeks. She looked down at her phone and typed in something. She haled a taxi and got inside of it.

[-][-][-]

Amber and Kyuhyun sat at around table inside the cafe where they all first met. Amber had ordered a cup of coffee and Kyuhyun had ordered a glass of cold beer. They were sitting there in silence and they both slowly sipped on their beverages.

Kyuhyun finally broke the silence, “Where are they? They’re late.”

Amber shrugged. She pulled out her phone, “I’ll see if they did any twitter update.” As she looked at her phone her face turned paled and she dropped her phone on the table. Kyuhyun picked up the phone and looked at it. There on the phone was a tweet from Seohyun.

|| I am facing nothing but darkness and now I will disappear. ||

Then all of a sudden Amber’s phone rang, but she was still in a state of shock that Kyuhyun picked up the phone instead, “Hello, this is Amber’s phone. Yes this is Kyuhyun, Ryeowook-ssi did you see the tweet? You’re at the hospital right now? Okay Amber and I will meet you guys there.” He hung up the phone and placed some money on the table. He reached for Amber’s hand and guided her out from the cafe.

“Is she okay?” Amber finally spoke as they stood on the street waiting for a taxi.

“She’s at the hospital now. Ryeowook-ssi was in her area and stopped by her house to check on her when he saw the tweet. He took her to the hospital and Jonghyun is meeting us there,” Kyuhyun held Amber’s hand tighter before he continued. “He found her in the bathroom. She had ... slit her wrist.”

Amber nodded as a taxi stopped in front of them and Kyuhyun guided her inside. It was like the world was moving in slow motion for her. Her best friend did something like this. She felt horrible for not being there for her. It felt like she doesn’t know anything that is going on in Seohyun life. The reason why she did what she did. Amber felt that she failed as a friend, “I fail her.”

Kyuhyun patted her on the back, “No you didn’t. We all like to keep something a secret. This was her secret and you couldn’t have known that she was going to do this. What we can do now is be there for her.”

[-][-][-]

Inside the hospital Seohyun woke up to see Amber, Kyuhyun, Ryeowook and Jonghyun’s face. Amber smiled at her and held her hand, “Thank goodness you’re awake. How are you feeling?”

Seohyun smiled weakly back at the four of them, “I’m ok now. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, but don’t do this ever again,” Jonghyun said. “You scared us all to death.”

“Remember that we are all here for you,” Kyuhyun smiled at Seohyun.  

Ryeowook reached over and gently brushed his hand through her hair, “Remember that we are always here for you. No matter what it is we will always be here to listen and help you; so please don’t do this to scare us again.”

Seohyun smiled back at him as tears fall down her face, “I want to be reborn, to become a new me.”

[-][-][-]

Outside in the waiting room, Jonghyun, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook sat in the chairs. The atmosphere around them was gloomy.

Jonghyun looked down at his hands as he spoke, “You know, I understand how Seohyun-ssi feels, because I also want to be reborn. Who I am now isn’t fulfilling. I have no friends. I have no one who I can talk about anything to. Do you? Do you have someone where you can tell the truth to? Friends that will listen to what you have to say without any judgement.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “No – I don’t.”

“Since I been out of college I don’t really have any friends,” Ryeowook looked at the two man sitting next to him.

“But I want to consider you guys as my friends. I want all of us to be here for each other,” Jonghyun smiled.

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook smiled back at him in reply and nodded as the both of them said at the same time, “Friends.”

[-][-][-]

Two weeks later.

||Everyone, thanks for the other time. I’m completely better now. How about all of us get together? – Hyun~||

||@Hyun~ I’ll definitely go! – JHBLUE ||

||@Hyun~ that is great! Are you better? I’ll be there. – Kyu ||

||@ Hyun~ I’ll be there too. We’ll all meet again! Yay! - AJ||

||@Hyun~ I’ll be there too as soon as I’m done with my meeting. - Wookie||

 

Seohyun and Amber had arrived at the cafe first. They had ordered some foods and drink, as they waited for the other three to arrive.

Amber took a sipped of her drink, “You’re feeling better now?”

Seohyun nodded as she noticed the three men walked in through the front door, “They’re here.” She waved the three men over to their table.

“Sorry we’re late,” Ryeowook said as he pulled up a chair next to Seohyun. Jonghyun sat between Amber and Seohyun and Kyuhyun sat between Amber and Ryeowook.

“Three beers please,” Kyuhyun cried over to the server as she walked toward their table. “Let’s celebrate Seohyun-ssi for getting better.”

Seohyun giggled, “Thank you.”

Kyuhyun smiled at her then turn to Amber, “Yo! How have you been?”

“Good. It’s the same every day. Get up, and then physiotherapy. What about you?” Amber replied.

Kyuhyun then leaned over and whispered into Amber’s ear, “I have something to show you later. I give you a call tomorrow if you have time.”

“Sure,” Amber nodded.

Jonghyun and Seohyun stared at the Kyuhyun and Amber. Both of them seem to have a disappointed look on their face.

“You two seem close,” Ryeowook said as he took a bite of the French fries on the table.

“It’s nothing really. We see each other often because his house is close to mine,” Amber said as she lifted her glass up to let the server know that she wanted more.

The five of them celebrated throughout the night. They left the cafe together and walked past a park. Jonghyun found a soccer ball, “Let’s play!”

The other four all said in unison, “Let’s play!”

As they started to play Amber could only do so much because of her ankle, but then all of a sudden she felt down to the ground holding onto her stomach. Jonghyun rushed over to help her, but she put her hand up to stop him, “I don’t want to get you dirty. I feel sick to my stomach. Kyuhyun! Help me here.” Jonghyun face drop as he wasn’t needed by her.

Kyuhyun ran over to her with Ryeowook and gently rubbed her back, “You drank too much. You might want to sober up before I take you home.”

Amber laughed, “Yeah, my brother would kill me if he see me like this.”

Seohyun walked over to Amber and held her hand, “I’ll take you to the washroom.”

Amber stood up with Kyuhyun helped and followed Seohyun.

“What a girl. She rather pukes on me than you, Jonghyun,” Kyuhyun turned to face Ryeowook and Jonghyun, as he pouted.

“You’re lucky that she called for you,” Jonghyun muttered.

Ryeowook laughed, “But girls don’t usually like to throw up in front of guy she likes.”

As Jonghyun heard that his face turned beet red and he couldn’t stop smiling. Kyuhyun noticed this and an evil and mischievous smirked slowly form on his face.

[-][-][-]

Today Amber didn’t have to train with Kikwang because she was still recovering from her hangover. She called Kikwang and told him that she was sick. He wanted to come over and take care of hier, but she reminded him that Donghae will kill him if he knows that Kikwang is back. In a way she was thankful for the massive headache she is having.

Actually, Donghae had just left on his business trip to California this morning and wouldn’t be returning to Seoul until the end of the month. What Kikwang doesn’t know doesn’t hurt. She can be rid of him, even if it’s only for one day. Since she started her rehabilitation, she had been spending almost every waking hour with him.

She walked to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water, some Tylenol from the pantry and took them. As she was gulping down the water her phone rang. She wiped some of the water that had dripped down her chin and answered the phone, “This is Amber. Hey Kyuhyun, how are you? Ah my head hurt, but I’m doing fine. You want to me to go over? Oh the thing that you said you wanted to show me. Sure I’ll be there in thirty minutes. See you then.”

After she hung up the phone with him she walked into her bedroom grabbed a t-shirt and jeans, and she walked into the shower. She might want to look nice in front of him, but today she just doesn’t feels like dressing up. When she was done she walked across the park that separated her house and his. She arrived at his door and knocked. He opened the door and welcomed her in with a smile, “Come in.”

“I smell coffee,” Amber said as she walked inside.

Kyuhyun closed the door and walked toward his kitchen, “I just made some. Do you want a cup?’

Amber nodded and sat down on the only place where she could sit which was his bed, “So what did you want to show me?”

Kyuhyun walked back toward Amber with a cup of coffee, “One cream, and one sugar right?”

“Thanks,” Amber took the cup from his hand. Their fingers brushed against each other and she could feel her heart beat faster. She felt her face heated up and hope that it doesn’t turned red. Kyuhyun smiled mischievously as he looked at her.

He walked over to his computer terminal and turned it on, “Do you like computer games?”

“I don’t mind them, why?”

He waved for her to come over to where he was. Amber stood up from the bed and walked over to him. He got up from his seat and directed for Amber to sit down, “Sit and try this game that I just made out.”

Amber sat down in his seat, “What kind of game?”

“It’s an RPG type game.”

Amber started playing the game with Kyuhyun’s direction. Time passed and day turned into night. Kyuhyun got up and turned the light on. That was when Amber jumped up from her seat, “What time is it?!”

Kyuhyun looked at his wrist watch, “its six PM. Wow I didn’t realize that we’d been playing the game for five hours already.”

“Thanks for letting me try this out. It’s a very good game, but I better get going. Sorry for bothering this long,” Amber got up from the seat, grabbed her stuff and started for the door when Kyuhyun reached over for her wrist.

“Here. Something for you,” he handed her a movie ticket. “It’s for tomorrow at noon. The location of the theatre is on the ticket.”

Amber looked at him, speechless as Kyuhyun walked her toward the door and waved goodbye to her as she walked from his door dazed.

[-][-][-]

It was ten minutes to noon. The movie was going to start in forty minutes. Amber stood there waiting for who she expected would be Kyuhyun. She wore her best outfit. Low heels, because of her ankle, brown leather jacket with white tank underneath, and her black skinny. She doesn’t own a dress because she had no need for them. She considered pants and shorts more comfortable. She was off in her own world when someone tapped her on the shoulders from behind. She turned around expecting to see Kyuhyun, but Jonghyun smiling face was looking back at her instead. She looked back at him surprised, but managed to pull out a fake smile, “Jonghyun-ssi, how are you?”

“Thank you for coming out today, and if you don’t mind, could we speak informally like how you and Kyuhyun does,” he asked as he lead her inside the theatre.

Amber smiled weakly at him and nodded, “Sure ... as long as you don’t mind.”

Jonghyun smiled the entire time they were in the movie. While she just smiled only when Jonghyun looked at her. She was tricked by Kyuhyun to come out on a date with Jonghyun and it hurt. She was hurt and embarrassed inside. She expected Kyuhyun. She forgot that he doesn’t realize that things that he does can lead people on. After the movie they went for dinner, but Amber was barely there. She couldn’t concentrate on the date because her heart and her head was elsewhere.

Jonghyun walked her to the subway station, “Thanks for coming today.”

“No problem. Sorry I kind of dazed off today,” Amber bowed her head slightly.

Jonghyun grinned, “Yes, I’ve realized. Are you tired?”

“You know Jonghyun, you’re a good person.”

He grinned wider as he heard her said that, “I’m really happy. I think that you’re great too. Amber ... I like you.”

“You ... you like ... me?”

Almost as if he didn’t see how uncomfortable Amber was he continued, “Kyuhyun told me to have courage and tell you how I feel. He said you and I match. Well, good night!” He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her. He then turned around and ran off, like a teenager confessing his love.

Amber stood there in shocked. He face paled. She slowly walked toward the subway when she noticed Kyuhyun on platform across the tracks. What did she expected from him. She knew he had a girlfriend. She just hoped that he didn’t lead her on this way and make her feels so confused.

“Where did you go?” he yelled across the tracks.

“I hate you!” she shouted at him. “Cho Kyuhyun! I hate you! Why are you so annoying? Why can’t you mind your own business?”

He looked at her with shock, realized what he had done hurt her feeling. His train showed up and Amber watched as he got on. As the train pulled out from the station she crouched down. Tears flown down her face, “What an annoying guy. Why can’t he mind his own business? I hate him! I hate you Cho Kyuhyun! Ah what am I saying? I like Cho Kyuhyun that is why I am this hurt. I like you Kyuhyun.”

“Amber?”

Amber’s eyes widen as she heard his voice. She swallowed her saliva before she turned toward the source of the voice behind her, “Just now ... did you hear?”

Kyuhyun looked back at her with a blank face, “No, I didn’t hear anything.”

“No, you heard didn’t you?”

He stood there in silence as he looked at her, “... yeah, everything.”

The reason we can’t face each other frankly isn’t because of personality quirks. It’s because we are scary-cats and are afraid to face each other.