5

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

The sun shone through the gap in curtain as it lit up the small apartment. Kyuhyun slowly opened his eyes as he placed his arms behind his head. A soft breathing sound came from the figure next to him. He smiled as he his side to admire her, “Good morning Yuri-ssi.” He lightly brushed the lose strand of hair from her face.

She slowly opened her eyes and smiled at him. She lifted her arms and wrapped it around his neck and pulled him closer to her. She placed her lips on his and gave him a passionate kiss. They entwined together as the bed sheet made all kind of rustling sound. They stopped when they heard her phone ringing. She bit down on her lip as she reached for her phone on the bedside table, “Hello?”

She quickly sat up when she heard the person on the other end of the line, “You’re coming home tonight? I’m at my friend’s right now. Yes. Is that what you want for dinner? I’ll be waiting for you. I love you too, honey.”

She flipped her phone closed and smiled apologetically at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun got up at pulled on his t-shirt and pants, “Your husband?”

Yuri nodded as she grabbed her clothes on the floor and headed toward the bathroom, “He’s coming home tonight so I better get going.” She cried out over the running water in the bathroom.

Kyuhyun slowly walked to his kitchen as started a pot of coffee, “Coffee?”

“No, thanks,” Yuri walked up behind him, wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him on the cheek. “I have to hurry home.”

Kyuhyun smiled, “How long will he be home this time?”

Yuri shrugged as she walked toward the door. She open, but then jumped backward into the apartment, “You scared me!”

Amber stood there in front of the door her hand still lifted up in the air, as she was getting ready to knock on the door, “Oh! Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” Amber bowed.

Kyuhyun who was now standing at the door smiled at Amber. Yuri leaned in toward Kyuhyun and kissed him on the cheek once more before she left, “I’ll call you.” She whispered in his ears. She pushed through Amber and smiled. Amber saw a flashed of white, sparkling metal on Yuri’s left ring finger. Amber raised an eyebrow, but decided not to pursue the matter.

“I didn’t mean to interrupt the two of you,” Amber apologized.

“Nah, she was leaving anyway. Want to come in?” Kyuhyun stepped aside to let Amber into his apartment.

Amber shook her head as she lifted a brown paper bag up, “I never gave you your pants back the last time we met at the cafe. I figure that you might be home, since its Saturday.”

Kyuhyun took the bag from Amber and smiled, “Thanks, are you sure you don’t want to come in? I just made a pot of coffee.”

“I wish I could but I can’t. I have a meeting with my ... physiotherapist today,” Amber phone beeped. “Talk of the devil. This is him. I need to get going before he bites my head off for being late.” Amber smiled and waved as she limped down the stairs.

Kyuhyun closed the door, lean back on it and slit down to the floor. A drop of tear felt on his cheek, “Yuri ... why do we do this?”

[-][-][-]

Amber limped toward the subway. She hated being this way. Her heart felt heavy after what she saw at Kyuhyun’s this morning. She is heartbroken even before she can tell him that she likes him. She was off in her own little world; therefore she wasn’t really paying attention to where she was going as she walked into someone, “Sorry! Sorry! I didn’t see you there.”

The person she walked into smiled back at her. He held her hand with his as he helped her to balanced herself, “Amber-ssi, are you ok?”

“Jonghyun-ssi, how have you been? I haven’t seen who since we met at the cafe that night,” Amber smiled awkwardly back at him as she pulled her hand away from his.

Jonghyun flushed red, a little taken aback when Amber pulled her hand away from his, “I’ve been busy at work and you?”

Amber pointed at her ankle and laughed nervously, “Physiotherapy.”

“You hurt yourself!? How and when?” Jonghyun stared at her ankle, eyes widen.

Amber patted him on the back, “It’s nothing really. I’ll be stuck doing physiotherapy for a month with the devil.”

“Devil?”

“Yeah, devil. He’s my physiotherapist. Oh shoot talking about that, I’m going to be late. I got to go! See you later. We all need to meet up again. I’ll tweet it later,” Amber cried as he skipped toward the subway, but then decided to take the taxi instead.

Jonghyun stood there and waved at her. He pulled out his phone and smiled at the picture of Amber in his phone, “I need to tell her how I feel.”

[-][-][-]

“You’re late!” Kikwang threw the basketball at Amber when she walked through the door of his house. With her quick reflect Amber caught the ball and threw at back at Kikwang.

“Sorry.”

“Hurry up and sit I made you brunch,” Kikwang walked over to Amber. He went behind her, grabbed her shoulders with his hands and pushed her toward the small dining table in his kitchen. Amber tried to shake him off her, but his holds on her just tighten. He pushed her down into the chair. He turned toward the kitchen and placed a plate full of pancakes, blueberries, strawberries, and kiwi on the table. He then went back to the kitchen again and brought back with him another plate full of fluffy, light yellow, scramble eggs. He grabbed a pincher full of orange juice and poor it in a small glass in front of Amber.

Amber raise an eyebrow, “What are all these for? I’m not that hungry and you know darn well that I don’t really eat breakfast. I don’t have time.”

Kikwang sat across from Amber and started to put some pancakes, some berries and some scramble eggs on the empty plate in front of Amber, “I know, but if you want to get better you have to eat well. I mean how can your body heal if you don’t feed it properly?”

 

Amber shook her head and started to put some pancakes into . Kikwang smiled and started to put some of the food on his own plate. Amber swallowed the food that was in , “Do I have to do this every day?”

“What?”

“Come over to your house and have breakfast with you.”

Kikwang nodded as he put more food in his mouth.

Amber heave a sighed, “You know that this wouldn’t change anything.”

Kikwang swallowed and stared down at his plate. He didn’t look up for a while. He then weakly smiled at her, “You never know.” He reached over for her hand.

Amber quickly pulled her hand away from him, “I need to use the restroom. Be right back.”

Amber walked away. She can’t forgive him for what he had done to her; to her family. As she stood in front of the mirror in the restroom, her past started to come back to her.

“Whoa ...” the ten years old Amber turned around to see a boy around her age standing behind her, clapping in awe. “You’re really good.” He smiled and his eyes squinted together.

Amber blushed. It was the first time in her life that a boy – other than her brother – complimented her, “Thanks, I guess.” She dribbled the basketball slowly beside her.

The boy walked closer to her, “I’m Kikwang. What’s your name?”

“It’s Amber.”

“Nice to meet you,” he smiled and reached over for the ball in Amber’s hand and threw it at the hoop. The ball went, as it made a swoosh sound when it made contact with the net around the hoop.

Amber tilted her head to the side, “You can play too?”

He nodded, “My father is a coach. Want to meet him? He actually coaches a mix team.”

“Mix team?”

“Girls and boys plays in the same team.”

“I see.”

Kikwang flashed his famous smile at Amber, reached over for her hand and held it. He led her away from the park toward the gym that was located across the road, “Follow me.”

“I can’t,” Amber planted her feet on the ground. She frowned. “I don’t know you. Well I know your name, but I just met you and my brother told me not to leave the park.”

“You can trust ...”

“Amber!” Donghae hollered at her from across the street. He was standing with an older man. A man Amber never saw before. Donghae ran across the street with the older man right behind him. He stepped in between Amber and Kikwang, which caused him to let go of Amber’s hand. “Where are you taking my sister?”

Kikwang smiled at Donghae – that signature smile of his, “I was taking her to see my dad.” He pointed at the older man standing Donghae.

Donghae relaxed, “Oh! So you’re Kikwang?”

Kikwang nodded as he walked over and stood next to Amber. He placed his arm around her shoulder, which caused Donghae to glare at him, “Amber and I are going to be best buds from today onward.”

From that day on they were best of buds. Apparently on the day they met Donghae had arranged for Amber to meet with Kikwang’s father. He wanted Amber to join the basketball team. Kikwang’s dad had told Kikwang about Amber joining the team and he was interested. He went to search for her and was impressed by her skills. He’s two years older than her. She trusted him with her life. He moved to the United States after he graduated high school to pursue his NBA dream. She followed him two years later. That was when things between them turned upside down. He got hurt and was unable to continue his dream. Maybe because of that he decided to do what he did. He betrayed her and she could no longer trust him like before...

 “Amber, are you ok in there?” Kikwang knocked on the bathroom door.

Amber snapped out of her thoughts and splashed some water on her face before she opened the door. She had her head down and did not realize that Kikwang was still standing right in front of the door. She walked right into wide open arms, as he pulled her in and held her tight to his chest. She can hear his heart beating and his warm breath on her neck. She shuddered.

“You smell the same. I miss the way you smell.”

Amber kneed him where it counted and he dropped to the floor. His face turned purple and blue, “I’m full. So can we start with the therapy?”

Even thought she hated him but Kikwang and been a part of her life for so long that he’s is also her weak spot. Now and again she would see the old Kikwang, such as the breakfast he cooked for her. She wanted to heal quickly and separated herself from him. If Donghae knew that Kikwang was sort of back in her life; she fear for Kikwang’s life.

As she walked away from him she clinched her fist and the tears that she had been holding in flowed down her cheeks. She grabbed her phone and started to type.

[I’m having a horrible day. Let’s meet up tonight for some drinks – AJ]

[@ AJ -I’m having a bad day too. Same place then? – KYU]

[@ AJ @ KYU See you there! – JHBLUE]

[@AJL @ KYU @ JHBLUE – Same time then? – WOOKIE]

[@AJ @ KYU @ JHBLUE @ WOOKIE I’ll meet you there! – HYUN~]

Amber smiled as she read her friend’s messages. Then she turned around and saw that Kikwang was still on the floor. She walked up to him and gently kicked him on the side, “Yah! Get up. The sooner we start the sooner I can get better.”

“You didn’t have to be that harsh,” Kikwang looked up at Amber, pouted and reached his hand up for Amber’s arm. He pulled himself up with Amber’s help and when she wasn’t paying attention he planted a kiss on her cheek. He ran away before Amber could hit him, again.

[-][-][-]