Donghae's Story

HARD TO SAY I LOVE YOU

 

He watched as various couples walked down the cobbled stone street of Rome. The little cars and scooters buzzing by the front of the little cafe he was sitting at. His job, as a photographer takes him many places in the world. It was a great job, because he gets the opportunity to travel the world, seeing it various cultures and beauties, but it’s a lonely job.

The one reason he choose this job was because he could stand seeing the person he love, loves someone else. The first time he laid eyes on her he knew that she was the one. They were so closed, but then he started to realize that she doesn’t have eyes for him. It felt like someone had put a dagger into his heart, cut it out and then crushed in it their hand. How do someone react to the fact that the woman he loves have feelings for someone else and that someone else is you own little sister.

When he saw Seohyun kissed Amber it destroyed him. He had already planned to move to Seoul to further his studies, but he was going to leave Amber with them. However, when he saw Seohyun real feeling toward Amber he couldn’t leave her there with them. It was the hardest thing for him to do. With a broken heart he moved to Seoul with his little sister, Amber. It was the only way to save both Amber and Seohyun, because he knew that Amber would never return that same feeling toward Seohyun.

He tried to forget Seohyun and started to date other people, but the relationship would always end badly, because he couldn’t stop thinking about Seohyun. It was like a disease that he could get rid of. It’s a plague that would haunt him for the rest of his life.

A few years later she followed them to Seoul and found Amber. He was furious and wanted to keep the two of them away from each other. It was his selfishness inside of him. He didn’t want to give Seohyun the opportunity to act on her feeling. However, she knew about his family secret and used that knowledge to threaten him. His only family that he has left in the world is Amber. He didn’t know how she would react to the news. He wasn’t going to risk that. Although, the fact that Seohyun knew about his family was shocking, what was more shocking is that she think he loves Amber the way a man loves a woman.  

How could he love Amber that way? She was his only family and he would protect her with his life, but that is only because she’s his sister. Blood related or not she was still his sister and he could never think of Amber in that way. However, he let Seohyun believed that he had feeling for Amber that way.

He wasn’t sure why he did what he did, but seeing Seohyun acted around Amber made him happy. She smiled brightly, her musical laughed echoed throughout the room, and the way her eyes lit up with Amber entered the room made him happy. Seeing the person that you love happy made you happy as well. Although, he knew that inside Seohyun is just as tortured as him. He knew that she knew Amber would never feels the same way she felt toward her.

He saw how Seohyun seek for love from the wrong men, but he’s a coward and he didn’t have the nerve to stop her. He didn’t have the nerve to tell her how he really felt about her. He was afraid. He rather she believed the story that she concocted in the mind than really tell her the truth.

 The path he had chosen had brought him down the path of loneliness, but he always had Amber there for him. Now he wasn’t so sure. He left her when she needed him the most. He knew that she was strong and smart and that she was able to take care of herself. She might not forgive him for leaving her, but he couldn’t stand staying in the same city with Seohyun anymore. He’s thinking of leaving South Korea and relocates to his Europe office instead. The office had offered him the opportunity. He already knew that answer and can already she Amber’s face when he tell her the news.

“Would you like more coffee, sir?” The waitress question pulled him out of his reverie.

He smiled at her and shook his head. He placed enough money for the two cup of coffee he had and extra for tips, grabbed his digital SLR and let his feet find the destination for him.

Love, it’s never the easiest word to say. It can give you so much joy, but also break you into pieces at the same time. It hold a great power that one can never quite understand.