33

Made in the USA

Mark nodded along quietly, he wasn’t talking or responding. He took a long sip from his glass.

Moli was still holding onto his arm as people greeted them, then he put his glass down.

“Excuse me,” He cleared his throat.

People turned to him, curious, the Tuan heir rarely talked.

“I don’t think I can do this, I don’t think I can play along, not anymore.”

He felt Mr. and Mrs. Gong look at him.

“Mark.”  His father hissed lowly, he shook his head.

“This engagement has been cancelled before this party started, for that I apologize.”

 

Saehee wiped her tears as she headed out of the house.

It was strange.

The pain from them keeping things from her didn’t hurt a lot, but leaving those gates hurt her more.

By tomorrow, their wedding date was probably going to be set.

And she somehow just managed to end one of the longest friendships she’s ever had. She turned away from the house and instead started to walk.

She ignored the pain from her heels.

What was wrong with her?

She bit her lip due to the cold.

 

 

Lauren watched as their guests started to murmur. She saw her uncle step out of the house, then seconds later a roar of an engine could be heard, then the gates opened.

She smiled.

She saw how her grandparents argued with the Gongs, Moli looked teary eyed.

“What about eomma?”

“She left, she was angry.” Jackson told her, Lauren raised her arms up and he lifted her up.

“I think you helped creating this mess, my daughter.”

“It’s a beautiful mess, Jackson.”

Jackson chuckled.

“I agree.”

 

Saehee sat on the plastic chair, in front of her, three bottles of soju were set, all of them empty. She smiled to herself as she opened her fourth one.

She didn’t know what she was doing, but that the alcohol was slowly erasing uncomfortable feeling that made her feel jumpy earlier.

She continued to drink. She ignored her phone and pushed it off the table, she smiled again.

What was she doing?

What was she feeling?

Her thoughts went back to Myungsoo, all those times she was with him. Were all those lies?

All those smiles, those memories?

“.” Saehee murmured to herself.

“Just plain bull.” She rubbed her temples.

And to think, Mark would hide something so big from her. Of all people, Mark Tuan, he never kept things from her.

She emptied her bottle again before calling to the ahjumma to order.

 

Mark stepped on the pedal harder, it was already dark out and he just wanted to get away from the house.

He knew his parents would be mad at him, but he didn’t care. He knew they would understand if he just remained quiet and insistent on his decision.

He was sure.

He no longer felt anything for Moli.

His grip on the wheel tightened.

She wasn’t that girl to him anymore. To him, she was nothing but a memory from the past.

His brows furrowed as he remembered a set of eyes who had looked at him coldly at the party.

Saehee.

He shook his head.

Was he?

Was he really in love with her all this time?

 

He has feelings for her, does he even have a right to fall in love with her?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++