26

Made in the USA

 

Jackson puffed his cheeks as they ate, Lauren was strangely quiet. Saehee looked at Mark.

“I might need to fly to China this weekend.” Saehee started.

“Take me with you.” Jackson said.

“Me too, eomma.”

She winced.

“It’s for work~”

“I thought you weren’t supposed to work.” Mark finally looked up.

“It’s just a short trip, it’s fine with Yunho oppa.”

Saehee turned to Moli.

“How’s the food?”

“It’s fine, it’s been a while since I’ve been to Korea, a lot of things changed.” Moli nodded back, Lauren’s mouth twitched before digging into her food.

“You’ve been here before?”

“Yes, a few years back, I tried contacting Mark ge, but I couldn’t get through, right ge?” She turned to Mark.

“Will you be okay alone?” Mark turned to the other girl, Saehee saw how Moli’s gaze went to Mark and her.

“Yeah, Jackson, can you help me get the cake?” She said as she stood up.

 

Jackson closed the door behind him.

“What was that? I can’t take it anymore!” Saehee whined, Jackson ran his fingers through his hair.

“It was so awkward.” He turned to the sub zero fridge to get the cake.

“Mark…what is he thinking? There’s only two ways he would act, be cold to her or~”

“He’s not being cold to her, just distant. He doesn’t know what to do.” Jackson explained.

“Do you think…Moli still has that effect on him?”

Jackson glanced at the door briefly.

“I think.”

“Mommy!” They heard Lauren call, Jackson winced at the thought of going back to the dining table.

 

Mark eyed the pink gadget on Lauren’s hands.

“Oh, where’d you get that?” Jackson asked as Saehee put the cake on the table.

“Eomma bought it for me.” Lauren grinned as she lent the camera to her father.

“It’s a polaroid camera. She wanted to take pictures.” Saehee explained while flexing her neck, Mark looked at her.

“You weren’t made for shopping.” He mused; Saehee swatted his hand away from the cake.

Moli eyed her uncomfortably, remembering Mrs. Tuan’s words in her mind.

She wasn’t supposed to feel jealous of Saehee.

“Daddy, can I take a picture of you and mommy?” Lauren turned to them with a smile. Saehee was about to refuse, she knew somehow she made Moli uncomfortable.

“Sure, where do you want us?” Mark stood up while smiling, Jackson doubled over.

His smile wasn’t real. It was careful and calculated.

“Put eomma on your lap.” She grinned while glancing at Moli.

Saehee’s eyes widened slightly then she slowly stepped back.

“Lauren, we talked about this, we~” Saehee glanced at Moli briefly, then Mark stood up and wrapped his arms from behind her.

“We can do this instead, eomma feels uncomfortable that way, quickly.” Mark smiled at Lauren. Saehee eased down as she felt Mark’s chin on her shoulder.

She smiled for Lauren.

 

“What?!” Lauren understood enough Chinese for her to understand, Saehee glanced up from the counter where she was helping Jackson arranged the plates.

“What’s wrong with Lauren?” Saehee looked up, she was at the living room with Mark and Moli.

Lauren appeared a few minutes later, carrying her MCM backpack with her, Jackson eyed his daughter confusedly.

“I’m transferring houses.”

“Houses?” Saehee blinked, Lauren just puffed her cheeks and went to the foyer. Jackson followed his daughter.

Saehee put down her glass of water and followed the two, she found Mark and Moli at the living room.

“Really? I thought you were checked in a hotel or something.”

Saehee paused, Mark was speaking with Moli, but his tone was strained.

“No, ge, auntie insisted I stay here.”

She bit her lip and watched as Lauren crossed her arms again, Jackson was trying to talk to her.

“I don’t want to sleep here anymore!” Lauren groaned, Saehee cleared , Mark looked at her.

“We have a Lauren situation, she wants to move out.”

“Move out?” Mark stood up and followed her.

 

Jackson felt helpless as he watched his daughter, Saehee was leaning against the wall, troubled and confused.

“Where are you going, Lauren?” Mark walked to her, Moli trailed behind him.

“The Jung house, right across.” Lauren replied bluntly, Saehee blinked.

“Eomma’s house, why is that?” Mark asked her, before kneeling in front of her.

“I don’t want to sleep here, appa.”

Moli stood before her and gently patted her hair, Lauren’s eyes twitched briefly.

“I’m spending the night at eomma’s, you can’t change my mind, dad.” Lauren’s lips puckered at him, Mark balked. Then she opened the door and walked out to the garden, Jackson stared at her daughter helplessly.

Saehee smiled at Moli before taking her hand.

“I guess that’s my cue to go, I’ll go ahead, have a good night!” She said before grabbing her coat from the rack, Jackson gave her a peck on the cheek.

“I’ll walk you home.” He muttered before following her out.

 

“Why don’t you want to stay with appa and your father?” Saehee asked as they stepped out of the gates, Mark followed them as they crossed the street.

“That woman is staying over the house, I don’t like her.” Lauren shuddered. Saehee nodded blankly and looked at Mark.

“But she’s going to be Mark’s~”

“Whatever, I’m going inside, good night daddy!” Lauren rushed to the gate as butler Seo opened it for her.

“We’ll have to explain this to her.” Saehee frowned as she watched the girl, Mark just sighed.

 

“Come by at the office tomorrow.” Mark said before kissing her cheek and turning back to his house.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++