25

Made in the USA

 

Lauren grinned triumphantly as she carried her bags out, Saehee just shook her head, dead tired.

“Your father just called, let’s have dinner at home.”

“Appa’s house?”

Saehee nodded.

“But mommy,”

“Hm?”

“That girl earlier…with daddy,”

Saehee winced slightly.

“She…might marry Mark, Lauren. His parents asked him to.”

Lauren’s lips puckered in distaste.

“They don’t match.”

“I think you’re too young to know that, sweetie.”

“Mommy, or, rather, Auntie Saehee, I prefer mommy though, my uncle…that girl…just..No.”

Saehee laughed before taking the young girl’s hand.

 

Lauren ran to the kitchen as soon as they entered the house.

She heard Jackson greet his daughter; Saehee climbed the stairs and tied her hair in a loose bun.

She yawned before entering Mark’s room and plopped on the bed. She made herself comfortable before finally closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep.

 

Jackson smiled stiffly as Moli joined them in the living room, Mark was about to greet Lauren, when the she stood up with her arms crossed and made her way to the poolside.

“That was Lauren, Jackson’s daughter.” Mark spoke tersely in fluent Taiwanese.

“Really? She’s so pretty.”

Jackson’s brows furrowed, why was his cousin talking to the girl?

“But, ge~”

“Where’s Saehee?” Mark cut her off, Jackson jutted his lips towards the stairs.

“Probably sleeping though, she seems tired.”

Moli watched as Mark stood up and walked to the stairs, Jackson looked at her.

“Did you do this on purpose?”

“It was our parents.”

“And you actually approve of it?”

Moli shrugged.

“I don’t see why not, Jackson.”

 

Mark entered the room and dropped the bag of chocolates he snagged from the kitchen counter on the bed; he looked at Saehee who was sleeping quietly. He shook his head before taking off his shirt and walking to the bathroom to change.

He was now clad in a loose cardigan and a white wife beater with sweatpants.

He sat on the bed and poked Saehee’s leg.

“Wake up.”

“Saehee-yah?”

Saehee groaned slightly before sitting up, Mark grinned and righted her shirt. She opened her eyes and looked at her friend.

tumblr_n0no4gS8wE1trpsiuo1_250.gif

Mark was busy opening the bags of candy before him, Saehee shook her head at him.

“I’m sorry I didn’t remember.”

“I don’t understand, my parents…they knew that we broke up.” Mark said quietly.

Saehee studied his face briefly, then her frown softened.

“She still affects you..doesn’t she?”

Mark just pushed a piece of chocolate on , Saehee chewed silently.

“She was the only girl you weren’t rude to..I remember now.”

“I think dinner’s ready.” Mark replied, before brushing some of the chocolate on her lips.

Saehee stood up from the bed and followed him out of the room. She recalled how hurt Mark was before and it was all because of Moli.

“But, Tuan?”

Mark turned to her, his brows still furrowed.

 

“I always got your back, just say the word, I’ll help you.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++