When I Fell In Love

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

note: despite the fact i continue to get bothered about that whole religion thing and some people even downvoted the story because of it, I will continue to write for the readers who leave LOVELY comments and messages for me. thank you to all of you for giving me the strength to keep writing. i'll try to keep it going. <3

*one week later*

 

You and Kai are sitting on a couch next to each other in front of a marriage counselor. You're both pretty embarassed and nervous about this whole thing, but you really want to make sure you get help in your rocky marriage. The counselor introduces herself as Doctor Song. 

 

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Kim," she greets you and opens a notebook. "So in your application you wrote out what's gone wrong the past few months, I see. I also see you have a child on the way." 

You both nod vigorously, and she smiles. 

"So...you married pretty young, didn't you?" 

You both nod again.

"You seem to be doing reasonably well though, so congratulations on that," she says, thumbing through her notebook pages. "Well first I want to go over what I go over with all the couples who come in here. It's always nice to have a reminder of your love, so please share with me and each other the moment you fell in love with each other."

 

You glance at your husband who has an odd expression on his face. 

 

"Um," you begin a little shyly. You're sort of nervous to share the story of the moment you fell in love with a complete stranger. Kai's presence soothes you, though. 

"I feel like I've never been able to realize what I have until it's gone, and the moment I fell in love with Jongin was when I thought I was going to lose him. I was sitting in the hospital with him and he was hooked up to all kinds of machines and he just looked so vulnerable. All of a sudden, I felt it in my entire heart that I need him and I will never be whole without him. I fell in love with him when he was at his weakest. To me, even though it was terrifying and he looked so close to death, I fell in love with him then. I thought I'd fallen in love with him when he was looking strong and godlike on stage, but when I actually fell in love with him, I really knew. I loved you at that moment, Jongin, and I'll love you forever..." you speak with real, raw emotion and look into his eyes as you recount the time in the hospital. 

 

Kai grabs your hand and holds it, resting both of your hands on your knee.

 

"That's beautiful," the counselor praises. "And you, Jongin?"

Kai squeezes your hand and looks into your eyes lovingly. 

 

"Yeah...well I don't know. I was attracted to you the first time I saw you, for sure. After that though, everything kind of climbed stairs or something. I can't think of a specific time I REALLY fell in love with you. I fell in love with you every day, to be honest. The second I saw you my heart started to pound. When you touched my arm for the first time, my mind soared. When we kissed for the first time, my body tingled. After that, my emotions and feelings for you only grew and grew.

I fell in love with you the day you were there for me when I woke up.

I fell in love with you the time you looked into my eyes and told me I was worth everything.

I fell in love with you when you smiled.

I fell in love with you when you laughed, when you cried, and when you hugged me.

I fell deeper and deeper in love with you every time we kissed.

Just when I thought I couldn't love you anymore, you just had to go and be a rebel and make me fall even more in love with you with every single beautiful word or touch you granted me. 

I fell in love with you every day, ____________, and I continue to fall in love with you every day. That's why I can't pick a specific moment. I'm still loving you more and more every day..."

 

Your eyes widen and gawk at him. You'll never ever know how your husband got so good with his words and actions. You really got lucky. 

 

The marriage counselor looks a little surprised too, and she smiles.

 

"You really got lucky," she says to you.

"Yeah, I know," you reply, Kai's cheek with your thumb. He smiles at you widely and kisses your forehead. 

"Nah, I'm the lucky one," he says. 

 

"Next, I want you to tell each other something you've never admitted to each other ABOUT your relationship. Don't be afraid, be honest," Doctor Song says, scribbling notes in her notebook quickly. She looks at you expectantly. 

 

"Well..." you begin, looking down. "I've spent my whole life trying to be good enough for other people and wanting so desperately to be loved and cared for as much as I've cared for people. I've never felt like I was ENOUGH for anyone. To this day, I struggle with that insecurity," you pause and look at Kai's face. He gazes at you intently, listening carefully. 

"Yeah...to this day I still struggle with that insecurity, and I'm always afraid I'm not good enough for you and I don't deserve your love and I don't deserve how well you treat me all the time..."

 

Kai sighs a heavy sigh and puts his arm around you, pulling you closer to him.

"You're always enough. I wouldn't change anything about you and...I don't know what to say really. I just love you so much and you're always going to be more than enough for me," Kai says reverently. You smile gratefully at him and peck him on the cheek.

 

"For me," he says, staring into your eyes. "I guess I just hate being vulnerable so much. My whole life I've been expected to be strong, manly, and able to overcome anything. I can't overcome everything. When you came into my life, I didn't know what I was doing with myself. You saw me one day in a lot of pain...I tried to hide it but I couldn't. I was so torn apart that you'd seen me being weak. The only times I can be vulnerable is around you because you bring me strength. I always have trouble putting myself out there and showing that I'm not a super strong superman." He glances down a little timidly.

"I hate being vulnerable, and you're the only one I can show that side to because I love and trust you that much." 

 

You stare. You've always known he hated looking weak, but you never expected him to admit it. You lean against him comfortingly.

 

The marriage counselor stares at you two.

 

"Well, I don't really know what you two want from me," she laughs. "You seem to be doing great."

 

"We are now," you say. "But we want it to stay that way."

 

"Well for you, since there's no huge problems or anything between you. Your problems seem to be situational. I can give you some basic advice pamphlets. For now, you don't have any major problems for me to correct, so I'd say to keep up the good work and keep working hard at your marriage. Marriage IS hard and it WILL be hard, but your love is strong. You need more than love in a relationship, but these pamphlets should help you with that. Come see me if you need me again, but I don't think we need to schedule a second session for now."

 

You gratefully bow and shake hands and you leave with Kai.

 

"So we're not as messed up as we thought," he laughs.

"Yeah well we're all really messed up," you giggle.

"We're messed up together," he snickers.

"Yep. Always and forever."