Baby Don't Cry

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

Debut Day.

 

You wake up out of your restless sleep, and notice Kai's side of the bed is empty. You sigh sadly, although you've gotten used to waking up alone these days. He always has to leave at a ridiculously early hour of the morning, and you don't see him more than 1 hour a day these days. He shoots you cute texts and leaves you loving notes from time to time, but he's en into the life of an idol, and you know it will only get worse. 

 

It saddens you greatly that you can never spend time with your husband, but you know how hard Exo has/always has been working, and you acknowledge that this has been Kai's life dream almost his entire life.

It doesn't help the loneliness, though. You want your husband back to hold you close and whisper softly in your ear and kiss you with the magical ability only Kim Jongin is capable of.

 

You take a quick shower and talk on the phone with Taeyeon, your best friend, for a little while.

 

"I'm coming to Exo's debut stage today!" Taeyeon's excited voice informs you over the phone.

"Awesome! I'll save you a seat," you say, happy to have a friend in the audience with you amongst all the fangirls.

"Yeah, I'll be looking forward to it. Sehun sent me a ticket!" You recall that Sehun and Taeyeon had gone to the dance Kai proposed to you at together. You smile as you remember how shocked you were that the formerly coldhearted and mean Sehun asked your sweet friend Taeyeon. Boy, how things can change in a year. 

 

After cleaning the house over another two times, watching a few sob-inducing romantic movies, and dancing around the house stupidly for a while, it's finally time for you to leave for the showcase. You throw on a pretty floral dress, and step out into the bright light of day. 

 

"__________, ARE YOU KAI-OPPA'S GIRLFRIEND?!"

"ARE YOU HIS SISTER?"

"STAY AWAY FROM OUR OPPA, HE IS TOO CUTE AND Y FOR A GIRLFRIEND."

"WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS IN HIS HOUSE? WHERE DO YOU EVEN LIVE?"

 

You're greeted by the usual string of questions you're generally hit with when you leave your own home, and as always, as commanded by the company, you remain silent. 

 

You finally make it to your car, and quickly turn on the ignition and begin to drive to the place where the debut stage it to be held. You have Exo's songs on shuffle as you drive through the busy streets. Miracles in December starts to play, and you smile a little sadly. Even in the middle of summer, this song is one of your favorites ever. It was playing when Kai returned from his trip overseas for his heat transplant, and you'll never forget the relief of that moment. 

 

You reach the backstage pass parking lot, and walk into the building. You see Kai sitting in a corner, face in his hands, rocking back and forth slowly. 

 

"Um, Jongin...?" you sit next to him and look at him. "You okay?"

 

His head snaps up and he smiles at you, eyes a little red. "Hey babe," he says. You can tell exhaustion is starting to take its toll on your beloved husband, and it makes you both sad and little mad.

 

"You doing alright?" you ask again. 

"Yeah, don't worry. I'm just really really tired." You like that Kai's being honest with you, and he stands up, grasping your hand and helping you up as well. He pulls you into a close hug, and you enjoy the feel of Kai so close to you after what feels like forever. 

 

"I'm really nervous, __________," he says distantly, looking at a particularly interesting spot on the wall.

 

"You're going to do great. You've done this stuff a million times and every time it's---"

 

"No, not about the performance," he interrupts you. 

 

"Oh. About what then?" you ask, confused.

 

"About what will happen after the debut. Life is ridiculous now, and I hear it's nothing compared to what it'd be like after we get more fans..." he trails off and gulps. "What will happen with us?" 

 

 

You sigh, and decide now is as good a time as any.

 

 

"Kai, you're gonna go out onstage and you're gonna kill it so our kid can see his or her daddy doing what he loves in front of a bunch of people," you search his face, wondering how he'll react to this huge news you're dropping on him.

 

"Yeah, well," Kai's jaw drops. "Wait....our....kid? You mean like future kid right? Like you don't mean you're actually--"

 

"I'm pregnant, Kai," you say tearfully with a smile. "We're having a baby, Jongin." 

 

Kai's face breaks out in a huge grin, and he kisses you with full force on the lips.

 

"Seriously!?!?!" Tears well up in his eyes, and he kisses a tear from your cheek. 

"Seriously," you say, beaming.

"When did you find out!?!?!?!" Kai is shouting excitedly at this point, and people around the room are looking at him oddly. 

"Yesterday morning," you say, more tears of happiness at his reaction running down your face. He wipes them all, tears spilling from his own eyes. 

"____________, I can't describe how happy I am. Words can't describe how happy I am." 

"I'm so happy too, Jongin. But baby, don't cry, you'll ruin your stage makeup!" you say with another tearful smile.

 

"KAI, get your over here, you're on in five!!!!" a manager yells at Kai. 

 

"Well, that's my cue," Kai says giving you one more peck on the cheek. He bounds off energetically.

 

You quickly scurry to your seat and find Taeyeon. She gives you a quick hug, as you reach your seat just in time for Exo's performance to start. The lights illuminate the six boys you love so much on stage. The song begins to play, but to your shock, Kai speaks up.

 

"Excuse me, pause the music please for a second."

 

The crowd looks around nervously, and you sit, paralyzed in surprise. Taeyeon stares at you. 

 

"Um, so I'm really really bad with my words, but I knew that today would be one of the most memorable days of my life," he starts, his voice resonating around the room filled with people. Screams are heard, and Baekhyun, Suho, D.O, Chanyeol, and Sehun gawk at him, confused beyond reason and shocked. 

 

"I thought it would be memorable beacuse I'd be fullfilling my life dream of debuting with my Exo bandmates, but it's not. I learned just now that my WIFE, yes I have a WIFE. My WIFE _____________ just told me that she's pregnant with our first child, and I decided that this isn't the way I want to live my life. I love performing, but I love my family more. Sehun-ah here asked me where I want to be and who I want to be at the end of the day, and I want to be with my wife and my kid as the best husband and father imaginable." 

 

You see girls around you crying, and Taeyeon is gawking at you, mouth wide open and eyes wide as dinner plates. Tears overflow from your eyes again as you see your hero professing his love to you and your unborn child on live national television.

 

"My dream has been to be an idol, but as of today my new dream is to be a figure for my son or daughter, and a hero to my wife," Kai's voice is now shaking with emotion, and his Exo friends are crying partially from surprise and mostly from happiness. 

"My dream doesn't seem nearly as important to me now that I have another life to look after and a loving wife I can never fully deserve. __________, I love you."

He stares straight into your eyes from up onstage, and you melt inside.

 

"I love you, I'll always love you, and I'll protect you and our little boy or girl with my whole life. Always and forever." You smile up at him, and are overcome with emotion.

 

"Okay, so I've taken up enough time here, but yeah. I quit. I don't need to be an idol to be happy, I need my family and I truly realize this now." Kai then promptly leaps offstage to the shock of the crowd and horror of the managers, and strides over to you, sitting on the floor by your feet, lovingly your leg. 

 

"W...well," says Suho into the microphone. "We are one, and I'm gonna be needed to help raise our new little niece or nephew, so I QUIT TOO." 

 

All of Exo quits and walks offstage, and the crowd sits in a stunned silence.

 

 

The managers are not pleased.