Truth

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

Author's Note: HI GUYS! For the first time I strayed away from EXO fanfic, and I've started a SHINee one, so if you could check that out that'd be GREAT. Thanks! 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/656084/who-am-i-jonghyun-key-minho-onew-shinee-taemin

 

------One Week Later-----

Your days drag by as you feel like nothing in the world really matters. You and Taemin’s ice cream runs are the only thing that keep you going, really. His happiness radiates to you, and hanging out with Taemin feels like he’s your charger to get you through life. He’s your charger and your cheerleader. On one especially glum afternoon, Taemin decides to make you try a new flavor. Instantly, it reminds you of the time you and Kai went to get ice cream on some day you had off school.

 

 

------------Flashback---------------

 

“___________,ah! Come on! Try this new flavor,” says Kai excitedly.

 

“Aigoo, Kai, you know I only like chocolate ice cream! I don’t know why you even try to make me try new flavors,” you giggle.

 

“Aiisht, don’t be so boring,” he complains, “try this flavor!” He tells the lady who scoops the ice cream to give you the “Salty Potato Chip and Chocolate” flavor. (Note: Yeah I’ve seen it. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s disgusting.)

Rolling your eyes, you take a bite. Your eyes widen.

 

“Kai…this is…this is HORRIBLE!” you say, horrified, smearing some on his face. He smirks and kisses the corner of your mouth, and winces. You laugh at the sight of his face scrunched up, his black hair messed up, and the disgusting ice cream smudged on his face.

 

“You’re right,” he groans. “It’s really awful…Sorry.” He then proceeds to go back and buy you both big scoops of chocolate ice cream.

 

 

 

----------------Present Day-----------------------

 

“O…okay,” you say, sadly, missing Kai more and more each day. You pick some mint ice cream flavor, and sit down with Taemin.

 

“Yah,” he says gently, “it’s going to be okay, ____________. Really. You have so many people here for you, and even though Kai-hyung isn’t siting with us right now, he’s always gonna be with us, you know. He wasn’t being mean to be mean to you, ____________. The last thing in the world he wants to do is hurt you.

 

Taemin’s words and tone remind you of Kai when he comforts you, and you feel a rush of affection for Taemin, always being there for you.

 

“Thanks, Taemin-ah. I appreciate everything,” you tell him honestly.

 

“Anything for you, ___________,” says Taemin. From the look in his eyes, you know he means it too.

 

You miss Kai with your whole heart. You just want him to come back and hold you while you sleep, and to be able to feel his (healthy) heart beating against your cheek when you lean on his chest. You want things to go back to the way they were when you were with the Kim Jongin you really knew.

 

You know Kai is overseas, but it would be nice if he could at least call or email you. You’ve had no contact with him since the night on the balcony, and you don’t even know if he got his new heart, or if he IS okay. After he talked to you on Sehun’s balcony, he had left immediately, and didn’t leave a note or call you or anything. You think he might be staying in touch with EXO, but they keep their mouths zipped shut.

 

“Taemin-ah,” you look at him with big eyes, “you wouldn’t…lie to me…would you?” you ask, expectantly.

 

“No, never, __________! I could never!” he says with conviction.

 

“Okay…have you been keeping in touch with Kai?” you demand.

 

“Uh.  Yeah…” Taemin says timidly.

 

“What has he said…?” you ask, happy to know that he at least is still alive.

 

“He didn’t want me to talk to you about it…” Taemin says sheepishly.

 

“You said you wouldn’t lie, Taemin,” you look at him sternly.

 

His face had gotten handsomer and he also has started looking more like a man and less like the innocent little boy you first met. His dark hair frames his face well, and his eyes sparkle with intelligence and happiness. Still innocent and happy all the time, lots of girls at school fantasize about him even if they had never noticed him before.

 

“Well…I haven’t lied about anything, __________. I just am telling you that Kai doesn’t want me to tell you everything…” he trails off, stuck.

 

“Well I’m going to ask you questions, then,” you say. “And you’re going to answer them honestly.”

 

“Jeez,” says Taemin, looking scared “you’d be a good scary cop…” You can’t help but laugh a little at Taemin’s comment.

 

“Is he safe?

 

“Yes.”

 

“Does he have enough to eat, a place to stay, and just…enough to live?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Is he happy?”

 

“No.”

 

You wince.

 

“Is he getting a new heart?” You feel your own heart beating faster, in anticipation.

 

“Yes,” says Taemin and you feel like a huge weight has been taken off of your shoulders.

 

“Is he coming back soon?”

 

“I…I don’t know.”

 

“Is there anything he wants you to tell me that you’re not?”

 

“Y…yes…” says Taemin, looking paler than usual.

 

“And what is that?” you demand.

 

“I can’t…” Taemin says sadly. “He thinks he knows what’s best, but he doesn’t, ____________.”

 

“Tell me, Taemin. Now.” Your eyes look straight in his, and you intimidate him like none other.

 

 

 

“He…He says he doesn’t love you.”