Just Like You

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

"P...pregnant?" you stammer, shocked at the thought of it.

 

"Again, we're not 100% sure, but we have reason to believe you might be..." the doctor trails off worriedly trying to search your face. "You're young. I thought it would be an unplanned thing..."

 

"I still have another year of high school," you say, overwhelmed. "So does Kai. How are we gonna have a kid?" You all of a sudden feel much much older, still surprised beyond belief and exhausted. 

 

"Yeah, I thought it'd be a problem," the doctor says gently. "We're not sure yet. We're going to need a few more tests to come back," the doctor tells you quietly. 

 

"So...should I tell him now that there's a possibility or should I wait?" you ask her, looking at Kai.

 

"Um, well as a doctor I have no professional opinion," she tells you. "But as another woman with a husband of my own at home, I think you should tell him now. If you're not pregnant, then you're not, but I think if you turn out to be and he knows you kept it from him that there's a possibility he'd feel a little hurt. I don't know your relationship, but that's just what I would do." 

 

"Oh, yeah, you're right, doctor.....?" 

 

"Doctor Kwon."

 

"Thanks Doctor Kwon, I'll tell him." You smile at her, despite the fear you feel inside.

 

About fifteen minutes later, Kai stirs. He groans sleepily and looks over at you. His eyes immediately snap open.

 

"________, you're awake!" he says happily, scooting his chair closer to your bed and giving you a kiss on the cheek. "How do you feel?" he asks, overjoyed that you've woken up. 

 

"I feel a lot better, thanks Kai," you say, trying to find the right words to tell him what the doctor said.

 

"Is something wrong?" Kai asks you, searching your slightly worried face. "Are you okay?" 

 

"I...I'm okay yeah," you say, nervously. "I just...the doctor said some..stuff," you say lamely.

 

"What kind of stuff?" Kai's face is clouded with concern again, and you stare at him, not knowing what to say.

 

"Well, they aren't 100% sure, but there's a possibility that..." you stare at him, sentence not seeming to be able to leave your tongue.

 

"Come on babe. Spit it out, please." Kai looks at you pleadingly, wanting answers. 

 

"She says I might be pregnant," you say quickly. 

 

"P...pregnant?!" Kai says, eyes widening and mouth dropping.

 

"Yeah, that's what I said," you say, trying to read his emotions. You're worried he'd be terrified and high-tail it out of your life. At the same time, you know he never would.

 

"But she's not sure?" Kai asks slowly.

 

"Not yet. There's more tests," you tell him, in a quiet voice.

 

"You scared?" he asks you. Oh Kim Jongin. Always concerned for your wellbeing and feelings no matter how he feels.

 

"Like hell," you tell him honestly. "You?"

 

"Same. But if you are," Kai lets out a long, slow breath. "I'll be uncomparingly happy too." You sit in silence, both thinking hard.

 

"Wow," Kai says. "This is big." You nod in agreement and look down at your hands. 

 

"Are you okay with this if I am...If I am pregnant?" you ask, biting the edge of your nail anxiously.

 

"Am I okay with this?" He looks at you and smiles, touching your face with the tenderness only Kai is capable of. "I'm great with this. If you're not, then we can wait awhile and when we're older we can try to have kids, but if you are then I'm happy. We're going to have kids someday anyway, and we married early so I guess having kids early isn't a huge surprise." 

 

"Being married is one huge thing, but being responsible for another life is a whole nother level of huge," you tell him realistically.

 

"Yeah. I know. But this might be our kid, _________. Frankly, no matter how hard it is I'm positive we'll never stop loving him or her," he says with conviction. "If it is our kid we'll know this was part of our lives' plan, and if it's not that just means we're gonna wait a little longer. No matter what, it's gonna be okay and I'm going to be there for you and protect you and our future children forever. Always and forever," Kai tells you and you can tell that he really means it.

 

"You're such a good husband," you say running your hand through his hair slowly. "You're a perfect husband, a great man, and a flawless friend."

 

"Aw, _______, stop that you're gonna make me blush." Kai blushes. "Oops too late," he smiles at you, hiding his face in his hands the way he always does when he's embarassed. You can't help but giggle and you sit there as he holds your hand comfortingly as you wait for the doctor.

 

"You know," Kai says, deep in thought. "If you ARE, you know, PREGNANT, I hope we have a girl." You remember the time that he had told you that before and you had thought that an older boy would be better. 

"I want a beautiful girl just like you," he says softly, and gives you a quick peck on the cheek. "But I'd love a boy just as much," he adds quickly. "No child of ours could be disappointing."

 

"You know," you say, with a small smile playing on your lips, "I hope we have a boy. I want a beautiful, charming, and respectful boy just like you." Kai smiles at you and kisses you on the lips, energy flowing through your body as you feel his lips tugging at yours delicately. After you both pull away from the kiss, he rests his head on your shoulder and hums quietly to you.

 

Doctor Kwon strides in, and smiles at the sight of you two. You give her a small nod, and she knows you've told him.

 

"Hello, Jongin," Doctor Kwon greets Kai. 

 

"Hello, Doctor," Kai says a little nervously.

 

"So the tests came back..." begins Doctor Kwon. 

 

 

 

Kai squeezes your hand reassuringly, you both gulp, and prepare yourself for the doctor's diagnosis.