The Calm Before the Storm

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

"Let's go, _______," Kai calls to you through the apartment. You see him grab the keys as you pick up your purse, ready to set off to the doctor's office. 

 

Sitting in the car, Kai switches on the radio, and you stare pensively out the window. 

"You okay?" Kai asks, glancing over at you, sensing something's up.

"I just...I didn't expect you to give up your lifelong dream when I told you that I'm pregnant. I ESPECIALLY didn't imagine the rest of Exo would give up everything too...I mean our baby is so lucky to have so many amazing people ready to support him or her growing up, but I just...feel bad," you say looking down at your hands. 

Kai is silent for a few moments, and speaks up.

"Hey, I know for a fact that our Exo friends wouldn't have gotten off that stage if they didn't firmly believe in it. They would have stayed up there and kept going if you and I and our unborn child weren't family to them. We really ARE one. All of us." Kai reaches over and your cheek, and rests his hand on your stomach while he drives peacefully.

 

You feel a little better, but still have a gnawing bit of guilt in your heart. They had worked so hard and gone through so much. Now the company is furious with them for dropping everything so suddenly, and you can tell they aren't going to let it go easily. The boys have all been laying low and avoiding attention in hopes the company will leave them alone.

 

"I don't need fame to be happy. We still have our music, and our private lives can at least stay a little more private than they would have been if we debuted. We were actually talking about that before we debuted. We all already regretted debuting before it happened, and we didn't really want to debut if it meant we don't get to be ourselves. Really," Kai tells you, trying to reassure you. 

 

"How did I end up with such a good person?" you ask him. "I don't deserve you." 

 

You arrive at the doctor's office, and you look around at the pregnant mothers around you and your heart skips a beat. Some look normal, like you, and some have giant round stomachs that house a baby. Kai squeezes your hand as you wait in the waiting room.

 

"Mrs. Kim?" the nurse calls your name and you and Kai head into the doctor's office.

 

"So this is your first visit..." the doctor goes through basics with you, and you feel your heart flutter as you realize that this is really happening. You're having a baby. You haven't graduated high school and you're having a baby. After some questioning and blood drawing, the nurse escorts you into the ultrasound room.

 

"Please take off your dress and bra and put on the gown," the nurse says handing you a hospital gown as she exits the room to get the doctor. 

Kai smirks and comes up behind you, helping you out of your dress. He kisses your neck lovingly and unhooks your bra and you shudder a little at the fact your gorgeous husband is so close to you and you're so...unclothed. 

 

"Oh not now you ," he smirks at you again and helps you into the gown. You hiss and smack his retreating back, and the doctor comes in. You lie on the cot, and the nurse runs the ultrasound over your stomach. Kai scoots his chair next to the cot and holds your hand. The gray image appears on the screen, and a huge smile breaks out on you and Kai's face. 

 

"Mr. and Mrs. Kim, this is your baby," the doctor says pointing at the most beautiful and beloved blob you've ever laid your eyes on. Kai's eyes are wide and mistly. The doctor moves around the ultrasound again and you hear the little thump thump of you and Kai's baby's heart.

 

"You're about two months pregnant," the doctor tells you with a smile. The beating of the baby's heart is the most beautiful sound you've heard, and you see Kai trying to hide a tear that started to run down his cheek. He is wearing a hat, and he pulls the hat down so you and the doctor won't see him crying. 

 

You leave the doctor's office and sit in the car, staring at the ultrasound the doctor had printed for you. 

 

"This is our baby, ___________," Kai says, the picture lovingly. 

"Yeah," you exhale excitedly. 

"And we'll love him or her forever," Kai says, eyes still misty.

"Always," you reply.

"Always and forever," he confirms, leaning over and kissing you on the lips. It's a perfect kiss. It's a kiss that isn't too long or too short. It's just right.

 

Just like life right now. Just right.

You reach home, and even the fans in front of your home can't bring you and Kai down. Kai shows them the ultrasound proudly, and they poutingly pretend to be interested. You finally break away and go back into your apartment, wanting to call up everybody.

 

You invite Exo to come over, and they all agree quickly.

They arrive within half an hour, and you welcome them in ecstatically, thrilled to be able to share such a special moment with them. 

 

"Wow. That blob is a person!" Sehun stares at the ultrasound picture, stunned.

"It's OUR person," Kai states with pride in his voice. 

"You're so cheesy," Chanyeol roars with laughter. 

"But I'm gonna be a DAD," Kai shoots back defensively. "I'm SO EXCITED!"

"We know," Suho laughs. "We're excited too." 

Baekhyun and D.O nod vigorously, and take turns congratulating you enthusastically.

 

You feel really really tired, and eventually Exo goes back to their own homes. You and Kai sit down looking at some of the pamphlets that the doctor had given you before you left the office. 

 

Some normal and unpleasant pregnancy symptoms can include:

-vomiting (morning sickness)

-intense cramps

-mood swings

-intense emotions

-intense food cravings

 

You keep flipping through, and you swallow a little nervously. 

"I'm really happy, Jongin, but I'm scared..." 


"Hey, don't be scared," Kai says. "Everything will be worth it in the end because we're gonna have our little boy or girl in our arms and we're gonna feel like the luckiest people in the world." He kisses your forehead.

 

"It's gonna hurt a lot, Kai. It's gonna hurt a LOT and I'm gonna be really unpleasant," you warn him and feel even more nervous.

"Hey, no matter how unpleasant you get I'll always be by your side," he your hair. "I'll always be by your side and I'll be with you every step of the way. When it hurts I'll be there to hold your hand. I promise I won't let anything bad happen to you or our baby. You both are my number one priority for the rest of our lives."

 

"You really are the best, Kim Jongin."

 

"I learn to be the best from the best," he says simply.

 

"Jongin that doesn't make any sense," you shake your head.

 

"Yeah, well...Yeah. I just love you," he hides his face in his hands, embarassed after realizing how his comment didn't make sense at all. 

 

You laugh, looking fondly at your husband. He speaks up again after recovering from his embarassment. 

 

"Remember, I'll ALWAYS be here. Till death do us part, right?"

 

"Right.