Lucky

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

Kai's POV:

 

Kai's eyes are swollen and Exo uncomfortably tires to comfort him.

 

"Kai...have some water," D.O hands Kai a water bottle, and Kai stares ahead, dead to everything. D.O sighs and looks down. Your father had died after he had saved D.O's sister from being hit by a truck. He can't lose you to something so similar. 

 

Suho comfortingly rests his hand on Kai's shoulder again, saying nothing.

 

A doctor strides out, and all of Exo glances up hopefully. 

 

"Um...Kim Jongin?" the female doctor looks around the room. 

 

"I'm right here," Kai stands up quickly, wobbling a little from the sudden rush of blood to the head. 

 

"Please come with me," she says gently, bringing him into a room. "Coffee? Tea?" She offers. 

 

"Is this the room you bring people and offer them comforting drinks to tell them really bad news?" Kai asks her with dead eyes. 

 

"Generally, yes, but my news for you isn't all bad," she says gently.

 

"What is it?" He asks, his red, puffy eyes meeting the doctor's sympathetic eyes. 

 

"Well, your wife responded well to the surgery and I can tell you confidently she'll make it."

Kai lets out a long, relieved breath and feels as if half the weight of the world is taken off his shoulders.

 

"What about the baby?" Kai asks, searching the doctor's face.

 

"Well...There are no guarantees. The baby has a heartbeat right now which is a miracle in itself. The trauma from the accident was defintely enough to kill both mother and child on the spot, but it didn't. I'm saying there's a chance that the baby will live, but I cannot guarantee that. Your wife's vitals have been stabled and the baby has a heartbeat right now. That really is amazing. She may be born with defects, but we'll never know. There are two choices. You can carry out the birth in a few months or you can abort it now because of the risk of defect with your child. The baby can make it, but it's up to her mom to be stronger than a normal pregnant woman. It's entirely you two's decision once your wife wakes up." The doctor looks at a stunned Kai.

 

"Um...are you alright?" She asks, concerned at the very odd look on his face. "I'm sorry this is so much information right now, and I know it's a tough decision but--"

 

"She...?" Kai asks, tears spilling over for what feels like the billionth time. 

 

"Oh," the doctor says, eyes widening. "I'm sorry. Did you not know the baby's yet?" She apoligizes mutliple times. 

 

"N...no, it's okay," Kai says with a small smile. "I'll tell __________ when she wakes up..." A million thoughts race through Kai's mind. 

 

"Can I see her?" he asks quietly. 

 

"Yes, that will be okay now," the doctor escorts Kai into your room. The sight of you looking so feeble hooked up to machinery makes Kai weak in the knees and he sits next to your bed quickly. 

 

He takes your hand into his, and sighs. Kai thinks back to the time it was him in the hospital bed and YOU by his side. He wishes he could go back to that. The time when you were safe.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Your POV:

 

"Uuuuurgh..." you groan, an immense headache clouding your vision for a few seconds. When your vision clears, you notice yourself lying in a hospital bed. You look next to you and see your beautiful husband glancing at you wide eyed and concerned. His large, warm hands envelop your own small cold ones, and you groan again.

 

"________," he says, voice cracking with relief. "You're awake...You're here with me....I've been praying for this so much and now you're here. I'm so lucky..." His eyes glisten. 

 

"It hurts, Jongin..." you say in small, weak voice. 

 

"Do you remember what happened?" he asks you gently. You can tell he's been crying a lot, and you feel bad for putting him through that pain. You furrow your brow, trying to remember.

 

It all floods back to you: the fight, that kiss with the random girl, the accident. You stare at him.

 

"You...." You say, pulling your hands away. "Get out... I don't need a cheater by my bedside" You say tearfully, in pain physically and mentally.

 

"No," he says softly. "I'm going to explain. But first I want to tell you how absolutely sorry I am," he says, eyes glistening with emotion. 

You know you can't MAKE him do anything right now, and you just look into his eyes and sigh again.

 

"It was me in that picture, I admit it," he begins. The words feel like a stab in the heart even though you already knew that.

 

"I know," you say coldly. 

 

"It was me, but it didn't mean anything," he tries to explain. "The company was very, very angry that all of Exo quit and thought that they could ruin our marriage by releasing that picture." 

 

You don't understand how this is helping his case in any way, and you glare at him. 

 

"Oh, poor you," you spit, a sudden wave of dizziness washing over you.

 

"No," he says simply. "Poor you. I'm so sorry you had to see that. Before we were going to debut, the company made us do promotional videos and pictures to release after our debut. One of the videos was a scene where I had to kiss this girl for a music video. It was all scripted and they made ME do it even though all the others knew that wasn't okay and volunteered instead. We filmed it shortly before the debut day, and I promised myself I would tell you before they released it. I forgot all about it after you told us about our baby, and I didn't care about it anymore. I stupidly casted it off, not thinking straight," he explains to you.

 

Your eyes widen. You search his swollen eyes for any trace of lies, and you can't find any. 

 

"Oh," you say softly. "Jongin I'm so sorry," you say. "I'm really really sorry. I should have trusted and listened to you." 

 

Kai nods. "Yeah, you should have. But the past is the past and we have to worry about the present," he sighs.

 

Suddenly, you feel a pain in your stomach and you widen your eyes again, terror gripping you from inside.

 

"JONGIN!" you yell suddenly.

 

"Are you okay?!" He puts his hand on your face and looks into your eyes, confused.

 

"The baby..." you say, voice rising urgently. "Is the baby okay?"

 

Kai looks at you and looks down.

 

"Well, the heart is still beating which is lucky, but it was a bad crash and the doctor says the baby MIGHT be born with defects. She says you can abort it if you don't think you can handle it...It'd be hard, _________." 

 

"No," you say quickly. "I won't abort our baby. This is our baby. I will not abort him or her."

 

Kai smiles at you lovingly, and your hair.

 

"You know...I was really hoping you'd say that. To me, our baby girl could never ever be a defect. She'll be perfect no matter what," Kai says, trying to read your emotions.

 

"B...baby girl...?"