The Other Girl

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

The doctor sits down on her chair and looks at both of you.

 

"You're not pregnant right now," she informs you, sensitively. You let out a long, slow breath, and Kai the back of your hand with his thumb and searches your eyes, trying to see what you're feeling. He wraps his arm around your shoulder. 

 

You're a little sad, to be honest. While sitting waiting for the doctor, you'd been coming to terms with the fact you might be carrying Kai's child, and you'd begun to get a little excited despite your brain screaming for you not to get attached to the baby you might not be pregnant with. 

 

"It turns out you have a stomach bug, but it should clear up with this medicine," she tells you handing you a can of pills. 

 

"Thank you, doctor," you say, feeling like crying for some reason. You feel stupid. 

 

"I'll leave you two alone. You're free to leave soon, I just need to fill out some paperwork." She turns and leaves the room, giving you and Kai your privacy. Kai doesn't say anything. He just puts his arm around your shoulders and squeezes your shoulder.

 

"I feel stupid," you tell him, telling yourself not to cry in your head.

 

"Why?" he asks you, concerned. 

 

"Because I got excited," you tell him tears threatening to spill over. 

 

"Me too," he says softly, kissing your eyelids tenderly. "Me too. I guess it's just not time yet."

 

"Yeah," you say, looking down at your hands. You sit in silence for a little while, and you lean your head against him, loving the warmth of his body.

 

Doctor Kwon walks back into the room with the paperwork. 

"Well, you're allowed to go as soon as you're ready. Just avoid spicy food and don't eat too much greasy food," she looks at you and Kai sympathetically. "I don't know if this is something you're interested in, but I can get you some birth control pills if you want..." 

 

You look up at Kai and he looks down into your eyes with a look that says "it's up to you."

 

"N...no it's okay," you say shakily. "Yeah. It's okay." The doctor nods and hands Kai the paperwork, says goodbye, and leaves the room. 

 

Kai holds your hand carefully, and helps you out of the hospital bed. You walk to the car together, both in deep thought when a pretty nurse runs up to you.

 

"Jongin-oppa?" she exclaims, delightedly. 

 

"J...Juniel," he stammers, recognition on his shocked face. 

 

"How nice to see you!" she says giving him a big hug. He lets go of your hand as he hugs her back sheepishly. 

 

"How are you?" he asks with a smile.

 

"I'm great! I can't believe it's been three years since I went to SM High. I graduated early after you know, we broke up, and my daddy got me a job as a nurse here to pay the bills," the pretty girl says in a cute little voice you already despise. Jealousy fills up to the brim in your heart, and you stand there awkwardly as Kai takes in the sight of Juniel. 

She must be the girl that broke his heart, you think. I wish she would go away and leave us to our peaceful lives, you think bitterly. 

 

Kai seems to remember you're there, and with a distracted look on his face he introduces you.

"_________, this is Juniel. Juniel, this is ____________." He looks back and forth between you and looks really uncomfortable. 

 

"What brings you here?" Juniel asks pleasantly. This pisses you off for no reason.

 

"I'm sick," you answer shortly. 

"She has a stomach bug," Kai says, looking at his feet. Kai didn't even mention you're married, and you can't help but feel like he wishes you weren't there.

 

"I think I left something in the hospital room," you lie, frusturated. "I'll go get it. Looks like you have some catching up to do." You walk briskly back towards the room, still emotional about the baby thing and pissed off at the whole thing with this Juniel. 

Stupid perfect small face and pale skin and double eyelids and slim body and....Ugh. 

You look back and see Juniel brushing some fuzz off Kai's shoulder, and laughing. Your blood boils. You go and sit in the middle of the hallway for fifteen minutes until you see the tall handsome figure of you husband looking around for you. You don't say anything as he starts to walk down the hallway you're in.

 

"____________?" he says, catching sight of you staring at him while sitting on the floor. "What's wrong?"

 

"Nothing, I'm fine," you lie. His brow furrows, but he helps you up carefully.

"Did you get the thing you were looking for?" he asks awkwardly.

"Wha---oh. Yeah." You walk in silence again, and reach the car. He opens your door for you, and hops in the drivers seat. 

 

He drives quietly and thoughtfully, zoning out. Your car ride back home is uncomfortable and silent, and Kai doesn't seem to acknowledge your existence. 

When you finally get home, you storm into the house and flop onto your bed sadly. 

 

"Stupid Juniel," you mutter. Kai walks in, still looking a little flustered. 

 

"What's wrong, ___________?" he demands. 

"I was upest that you.. Y...You didn't even say we were married," you admit, looking down. Kai exhales loudly, and sits behind you on the bed and starts to massage your shoulders.

 

"I did. She wanted to go out for coffee, and I told her we're married."

 

"You're not embarassed about me?" you ask in a small voice.

 

"No. Never!" you hear him exclaim from behind you.

 

"Then why did you barely acknowledge me when she was talking to you?" 

 

"I was thinking about old times, and how I used to love her. She was my first love, but she broke my heart by cheating on me. I'm sorry. You know my heart only belongs to you now right?" His face pops up next to yours, and he gently kisses your cheek.

 

"S...so you don't like her anymore?" 

 

"No, I don't. I love you." Kai speaks ardently. 

 

"And the only girl you'll ever love is me?" you sniffle. You feel dumb for being so clingly and insecure, but you want his reassurance. 

 

"I can't promise you that," he says and you feel your heart break. 

 

"Oh."

 

"Relax, babe. I can't promise you that because someday there might be a little mini version of you that I'll love with my whole heart." He continues rubbing your back, and your own heart fills with happiness. 

 

"Our daughter?" you ask, hopefully. Kai chuckles.

 

"Yeah, _________. Our daughter. Boy, you catch on fast," he says sarcastically and affectionately. 

 

"I want one, Jongin," you whisper.

 

"Me too, _________. Our time will come."