Sickness and Health

Life of Kai: Being Married to Kim Jongin

You spend the next few days sick to your stomach and nauseous. Your adoring husband stays by your side the whole time, and despite your miserable (and most unattractive, you must admit) conditon, you're still happy. Your life is perfect even though your body is aching and in pain, just because your beloved Kai is right with you. 

 

"I must've gotten some stomach flu," you say after throwing up for the fifth time this morning. You have a splitting headache, and your skin is a lot paler than normal.

 

"Yeah, but if you keep this up, I'm taking you to the hosptial," Kai tells you firmly, running a cool cloth over your forehead, looking seriously concerned at your frail condition. 

 

"Aww, oppa, I'm okay," you say smiling up at him with wide eyes. You're shocked that he can still stand being around you (and loving you, for that matter) when you look like you do right now.

 

"Well I refuse to take risks when it comes to your health," he says seriously.

 

"You're so y when you talk like that," you wink at him.

 

"Aisht, you're crazy," he laughs, shaking his head. 

 

 

The Next Day

 

"That's it, we're going to the hospital," Kai says over the sounds of your protests after your fever goes up above 104. 

 

"Jongin, we don't need to do that..." you tell him weakly.

 

"Nope, we're going and that's final." He sweeps you up into his arms carefully, not wanting to cause you more discomfort, and brings you out into the car. 

 

"I'm just glad you're not sick," you say. You've been surrpised he hasn't got whatever you did, but very relieved that he isn't sick too. You both would be a disaster if that were the case.

 

"I've been washing my hands a lot," Kai tells you distractedly as he buckles you in and starts the car's ignition. He glances over his shoulder as he backs out and onto the street. 

 

"Kai I don't think there's anything they can do," you protest as you start off on your way to the hospital.

 

"Well we won't know until we try, right?" He says, glancing over at you, making sure you're comfortable. You're uncomfortably hot, so Kai puts the AC on as cold as it can go. He's shivering in his summer-weather clothing, and you instantly feel bad, but no matter how much protesting you do, he won't listen. You really got lucky in the husband department. Your husband is perfect and always looks after you.

 

"Yah, you don't have to freeze yourself to death for me, although I do appreciate the gesture," you whine, still weak.

 

"Through sickness and health," Kai says shaking his head. "You're sickness and I'm health and I'm going to look after you until you're better, mkay? Being a little cold isn't a big deal. You warm my heart," he says cheesily.

 

"Oh brother." You roll your eyes, and lay back, still feeling miserable.

 

He sings softly to some songs on the radio, and you rift in and out of an annoying sleep-ish state. 

 

"________-ah, please stay awake at least until we have the doctor look at you. You're kind of scaring me," he says, looking really worried.

 

"Okay, I'll try, Jongin," you say, not wanting him to worry. You fight the fatigue, and focus on the words he's singing.

 

After what feels like forever but in reality is about 20 minutes, you arrive at the hospital. He picks you up again, not wanting to make you walk, and carries you into the hospital waiting room. 

 

"Can I help you?" the receptionist asks, bored.

 

"Um, yeah. My wife's really sick and her fever went over 104 degrees..." Kai begins.

 

"Okay, please take a seat and we'll be right with you," says the lady, still sounding bored.

 

"But she needs help fast..." Kai says a little annoyed. 

 

"Yes, I know sir. Everyone does. Just like everyone else, you're going to have to wait." You feel Kai tense up at the lady's insensitive words, but he doesn't want to stress you out or make a scene so he sits you down on a chair and sits on the floor next to you, holding your hand and the back of your hand. 

 

About a half hour passes, and Kai grows very agitated and restless. Suddenly, a horrible dizziness passes over you, and a faint sound of Kai yelling your name urgently is the last thing you remember before you pass out off your chair and onto the floor. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You wake up in a hospital bed, confused. You see Kai sitting in the chair next to your bed, dozed off with his head hanging to the side in what looks like a most uncomfortable position. A doctor is writing something in the corner of the room and you notice that you're hooked up to an IV and getting fluids pumped through you. You feel a lot better, though. You know Jongin can sleep through almost anything, so you speak up.

 

"Hi, um so what's going on? How long was I out? What happened?" you ask the doctor, and she smiles at you.

"Oh, you're awake!" She looks happy and kind. "Are you feeling better?" 

 

"Yeah, just confused," you answer.

 

"Right, that's normal. You've been out for about fourteen hours, and he just fell asleep about half an hour ago," she says gesturing to Kai. "He seemed pretty tired." You smile adoringly at Kai, appreciating his dedication to you and your health.

 

"Yeah, he's pretty great," you answer with a little laugh, feeling much better already. 

 

"Boyfriend?" she asks, gesturing at Kai once again.

 

"Husband," you smile proudly. 

 

"Oh, wow, congratulations, you've got a good one," she smiles at you, and looks at her clipboard.

 

"So, er, what's exactly is wrong with me?" 

 

Your doctor looks at you nervously and down at the clipboard again.

 

 

"Well, we can't be sure until we run some more tests, but as of right now..." she trails off, seeing Kai stir the slightest bit. He goes still again, and you can tell he's in deep sleep.

 

"As of right now...?" you ask, curiously. The doctor speaks carefully.

 

 

"We think you might be pregnant."