42: Tricky

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tricky

[Song of the Day: Big Bang - Ego]

"Will she come back?" said Woohyun while tapping a fountain pen against his desk.

5:00 am. It has been exactly two months and ninety hours after the day he visited Jeonju. Just the night of that day, he was forced to fly back to Seoul, only bringing home dejection after Kim Taeyeon refused to come back with him. Despite his firm persuasion and pleads to make her come back, the woman stood by her decision and that is to stay at Jeonju indefinitely. Even the threat of being dismissed from work did not change her mind.

[~]

"Because I need you. Hope Café also needs you. We all need you. I couldn't imagine what I will do if you're gone," he whispered against her left ear. "If seeing you is happiness, then I will do anything not to lose you. Anything, Taeyeon-ssi."

"Woohyun-ssi," she muttered as she tried to free herself from his embrace. "I don't understand why you are saying such words."

Woohyun slowly released her from his arms and said, "Why don't you get it? We... We need you. We need you at the café, so please come with me now."

"Woohyun-ssi, are you sure that you are saying that only because of that?" Taeyeon speculated. "Even if I am not there, the Hope Café can run with all of you there. It's not like I control it."

"Taeyeon, please. Please come back now," he begged desperately.

"Wae? Wae? Wae?" she questioned. "You really are acting weirdly today. I think you're up to something, are you? Tell me."

He shook his head and held her shoulders. "No, don't think it that way. I... I just want you to be alright. Earlier, if I did not arrive, that guy would have hurt you. Until you are here at Jeonju, I cannot be assured that you are safe. Trust me, Taeyeon-ssi."

"I... I trust you, of course," she answered. "But I have my own problem here. I have to settle it before coming back, so please understand. Please stop being paranoid."

"What problem? I'll help you solve it once we're at Seoul," Woohyun guaranteed. "Paranoid if paranoid. I know it, but bear with me. Just come back to us."

"No," Taeyeon disagreed as she removed his hands on her shoulders. "You wouldn't because you can't. Just go back to Seoul and I'll settle this on my own. Even if I tell you, you wouldn't understand it."

"Taeyeon-ssi, you know that you wouldn't get anything useful by just staying here," the man stated. "If you got any health problem, Seoul has better hospitals than Jeonju."

"Woohyun-ssi, I really don't understand you," she uttered, apparently displeased with his words. "I am sorry for this, but I see no reason for you to tell me what to do. We're not at work. I took an indefinite leave of absence and you allowed me. So what's the point of this conversation, Mr. Nam Woohyun?"

"Taeyeon-ssi, why don't you listen to me? I know we're not at work, so I can't dictate you what to do and not to do," Woohyun explained. "But can't you just listen to me even once? You are not safe here, so it is better for you to–"

"To stay at Seoul?" she scoffed. "Sir Woohyun, be honest to me. Is there something you know but you are keeping from me? If you would tell me, I might see the logic in your words."

He became speechless for a while, but soon regained his consciousness.

"No.... No, there.... there isn't," he stuttered, struggling with what to say. "Just listen to me. I wouldn't tell this you if I don't know what I am saying."

"You really don't know what you are saying, Sir," Taeyeon stated. "Now, if you would allow me, I'm excusing myself."

She turned back and started walking away.

His face hardened as he curled his fists up. Watching her walking away from him, he coldly uttered, "Even if I tell you that you are in the brink of losing your job in Hope Café, will you still say that?"

Taeyeon stopped from her tracks immediately. Her jaw clenched hardly as she tried not to be dissuaded by such words.

"Yes, I will." Without facing him, she worded, "I am sorry, Sir Woohyun, but nothing will ever change my mind."

That's when she left him behind, standing like a humiliated fool.

"Taeyeon-ah," he called out for her name as he tried to chase after her.

[~]

"If she stays there a little longer, everything is doomed," Woohyun hissed, gritting his teeth hardly. "Everything is ing doomed."

Nam Woohyun tried his best to coax her and change her mind. He stalked her all the way to her house and convinced her to come back to Seoul. Although it was too weird for him to do so, he did it. He did it to protect the truth that he keeps from her. But Taeyeon was really stubborn. Not even a single word from him cajoled her to come back to Seoul.

"That woman is really hard-headed," he muttered. "But I love her. I love her so much that I won't ever let her go."

"It has been two months," the man sighed. "What should I do? Should I call her?"

"What should I tell her? What should I say that will convince her to come back?" He brought out his phone and attempted to type a message, but because he's blank of what to say, he slammed the phone against his desk.

"Damn! !" he hissed in annoyance. "Think, Nam Woohyun. Think of what to say! Do ing tell her that she has to come back! She has to ing come back here no matter what happens!"

While spending his time in deep contemplation, a number of knocks were heard outside the door.

Instantly, Woohyun composed himself and kept his phone inside the drawer.

"Come in," he said as he straightened his back against the swivel chair. 'I am getting really frustrated.'

Lee Junho made way inside the office and said, "Annyeong hasimnikka, Sir Woohyun." He bowed down.

'Okay. Calm down.' Pulling off his stoic reaction, he responded, "Annyeong hasimnikka. What can I do for you?"

The male employee shook his head and explained, "Sir, it is not me who needs something from you, but it is..."

'Jinjja? Then, why is in the world is he here?' Woohyun became perturbed by such words, so he questioned, raising an eyebrow, "If it's not you, then who is it?"

All of a sudden, someone entered the office.

Angel. The answer to his frustrating problem was finally granted. But he almost cursed under his breath because of the shock brought by such presence.

"Annyeong hasimnikka, Sir Woohyun," those were the words that person said while giving the manager a ninety-degree bow.

His jaw dropped while blankly staring at a blonde woman who was in a peach trench coat, white dress and peach winter boots. Her blonde hair was beautifully braided, bringing her a captivating aura that surely mesmerized the awed Nam Woohyun.

"Kim... Kim Taeyeon-ssi?" he murmured, pointing her like a clueless child. 'Am I seeing this right?'

"Nae, Sir Woohyun. It's me," answered Taeyeon while plastering a genuine smile on her face. "I am sorry if it took too long before I decided to come back."

'Finally, you come back to your senses.' Still in awe, he nodded and stated, "Yeah... It is okay. At least, you are here now."

"I'll just leave the two of you to have a proper talk, Sir," Junho said, bowing his head again before he left the office.

"So what changed your mind?" Woohyun plainly asked while playing with his fountain pen. He pretended that he's unaffected by her unexpected return to Seoul, but deep inside him, he felt how his soul jumped in victory as if he aced the lottery. 'If you would just know how happy I am, Taeyeon. Oh, of course you wouldn't understand.'

"You," answered Taeyeon without any trace of reluctance. 'I came back because of you.'

"Really?" he mocked, giving her an unconvinced look. "Do you think I will believe that?"

"It is really you, Sir Woohyun," she said, sticking to what she said earlier. "I carefully thought of what you told me. Nevertheless, it is your prerogative whether or not to believe it."

"And you are saying that after two months and ninety hours since the last time you rejected my kind and thoughtful suggestion," Woohyun sarcastically stated as a disgruntled smirk was curved by his lips. "Isn't it too late for you to say those words right in front of my face?"

"Sir," she murmured. "I... I am... so.."

'Sheesh! Babo Kim Taeyeon!' He looked at her and stated coolly, "But then again, what matters most is that you are here. Not that stubborness yours the last time we saw each other. Welcome back, Ms. Kim."

Although she was slightly offended by his words, she did not think of retorting back. She's there as Kim Taeyeon, an employee of Hope Café and Nam Woohyun is her boss. That fact requires her to be tactful with her words and respectful with her actions, completely opposite from what she showed him the last time they met.

'It is my fault anyway.' She apologized while bowing her head once again, "I am sorry and thank you, Sir."

"Are you sure that you can keep up with work now?" Woohyun asked. "If you still want to continue your indefinite leave, you may do so. I apologize for forcing you to come back. It was out of my power and I take the responsibility for such reckless action."

"No need, Sir. I am somehow fine now and I can manage to start working here again," she replied with certainty. "I contemplated those words you have told me that day and realized you were right. But those words might have influenced me to come back, but coming back here is purely out of my own decision."

"Okay, so it's settled. If you are in a good condition now, you may start the day," the manager said, giving her a plain look. 'Perhaps, you realized that staying there won't bring you any good. Good job for making the right decision, Taeyeon.'

"Yes, Sir," answered Taeyeon with enthusiasm. 'That is right. Kim Taeyeon, start the day now. Hwaiting!'

"I am very happy that you are here now, Taeyeon-noona," Baro expressed. "We really missed you. Can't imagine you have been away for months."

"I missed all of you as well," Taeyeon answered, stifling a genuine smile. "I am deeply sorry for not telling you about my leave, guys. I did not want to bother any of you."

"Malhajima! Don't say that, Taeyeon-ssi. How can you be a bother to us? We are a family here, remember?" Mr. Bong blurted.

"We understand you, Taeyeon-ssi. You may have been stuck with your own situation that's why you weren't able to tell us about it," Yoseob considerately said. "But at least you are here now, right?"

"Yoseob is right. What matters most now is that you are here. Now, we can all work as a whole again with the addition of In Na-noona in our team," Kwon affirmed, nodding his head.

"Hope Café isn't just your workplace, but your second home, so feel free to open up with your problems, Taeyeon-noona," added Dongjun while mopping the floor.

"Precisely. No need to keep things from us. If there is anything we can do, we'll do anything to extend our help," Kikwang stated.

"Couldn't agree more with such words, guys," Junho commented, giving them two thumbs up. "But honestly, you became more beautiful but thinner than the last time we saw you."

"You are right," Mr. Bong agreed.

"Those words are too much, but thank you," Taeyeon shyly answered back. "Thank you very much."

"Beautiful, but still that quiet girl who keeps things from us," Kwon joked.

"Well, bear with Taeng, guys. She's an introvert who loves keeping things to herself," In Na described, pinching her friend's cheeks. "This cutie girl wouldn't open up even if you force her to do so."

"In Na-eonni," Taeyeon sheepishly murmured.

"That is why we should have a team bonding for the holidays, folks," those words brought surprise to all of them who were busy preparing for the opening of the shop at six in the morning. It was a sudden appearance of the manager who appeared out of nowhere.

"Sir Woohyun," all of the employees said in unison.

"Yeorubun, because winter holidays are fast-approaching, I decided that I want us to have a three-day vacation at Jeju," Woohyun announced in a plain manner. "I hope you could give some spare time starting the 20th of December which is four days from now because that will be the first day of our trip."

"Really, Sir Woohyun?" Baro asked in awe.

"Really, Baro-ssi," the manager answered.

"So what is up with the trip, Woohyun-ssi? Is it because the missing color has come back?" the assistant manager, Mr. Bong Young-mok speculated which made the manager blush in embarrassment. 'The answer is obvious.'

Such question caused suspicion amongst the staff members except for the two women who had no clue of what's going on.

Being a playful guy he is, Kwon joked, "Oh, you're getting caught, Woo. Next time, try making it not look obvious."

"I... I said it's because of the holidays. That is the reason why I came up with such idea," Woohyun excused, pulling off an indifferent reaction to hide his embarrassment. 'How did they know that?'

'The answer is pretty much obvious. Remember the magnolia thingy? Hahaha.' Junho smiled and tried to defend the manager by saying, "Sir Woohyun has a very good point. Holidays are coming, so it's no bad that we spend some time with each other, right?"

"Yeah, you are right," Woohyun awkwardly said, feeling relieved that Junho saved him from the verge of embarrassment. "That is exactly my point."

"But how about our annual Christmas event for this year?" Kikwang asked. "Isn't that usually occured during those days? Won't it break our café's tradition?"

"What tradition? I'm sorry for asking, but I have yet to catch up with everything about this café," In Na wondered.

"Every year, this café conducts Christmas event by having different themes. For example, mini winter concerts and the like," Taeyeon explained. "Last year, we had a traditional-themed Christmas event. Winter event has been a tradition of the Hope Café every year and this is what most customers look forward to."

"Thanks for that explanation. I know it now," the older woman said.

"Personally, I don't think it will hurt if we give this year to us. Besides, we have already exerted our utmost effort giving away various promos to keep our customers intact, especially the first two weeks of this month," Yoseob candidly expressed. "I guess it's our turn to celebrate Christmas as a team. No work, just pure fun."

"Couldn't agree more with that although I really did not expect that from you, Yoseob," Mr. Bong assented. "Well, I don't think it's breaking a tradition, rather making a new tradition. Agree with me, kids?"

"Yes, Mr. Bong. Let us now give ourselves a merry holidays 'cause we worked hard for it," Junho commented in agreement. "We deserve a break, guys."

"Tradition is just tradition. It will be boring if we always stick to the status quo," Manager Nam stated. "We can still make up for it by New Year. We can have a New Year event since we won't be having a Christmas event, right?"

"That is a good idea, Manager Nam," Kikwang agreed. "Can't wait for that any longer!"

"Fireworks! Neomu neomu areumdawo!" exclaimed Baro in excitement.

"Childish folks," Kwon joked.

"Just let them be," Mr. Bong stated, giving Kwon a soft pat on his left shoulder.

"Before I forget, by December 24 until the end of the month, I would allow you all to take a vacation," Woohyun announced. "After our three-day vacation, you'll get to spend holidays with your family."

"Really, Sir? But isn't it better to work during the holidays because of double pay?" Taeyeon innocently asked.

"Aish! Kim Taeyeon, you are really unbelievable!" In Na scoffed. "Still with the money even during holidays."

"Whatever," the younger woman hissed, pouting her lips childishly.

"What's new with Kim Taeyeon anyway?" Woohyun blurted, letting out a soft laugh.

"So shall we open the café now? This kid is now wanting to have money," Mr. Bong said. "To make that possible, working is the only way."

Few hours later, the morning was over as the afternoon was welcomed by the wonderful Friday.

"Taeyeon-noona, can you please bring these orders to table number 5?" Dongjun requested, pointing a red tray with brownies, lasagna, a cup of cha and blueberry cheesecake. "Sorry but I have to make ten cups of latté."

"Sure, no problem," she gave him a quick reply before she took the tray and smiled. "I will bring this to table number 5."

"Thanks," her colleague said while busy preparing cups of latté.

"Oh, Dongjun-ah, are there boxes of flour left at the storage room?" Kwon who was kneading a dough, asked.

"Yes, hyung-nim. There are enough boxes of flour left at the storage room," Dongjun said.

"Oh, good," Kwon said in relief.

At a corner, In Na placed a metal tray of uncooked bread inside the big oven. She said, "Kwon-ssi, do you know how many blueberry cheesecakes we need?"

"A dozen, to be exact, In Na-noona," he answered back.

"Okay. Thanks," In Na said as she closed the big oven. "Nice that you didn't lose the counting."

"I'll go ahead, guys," Taeyeon said as she bowed her head.

Since her colleagues were busy with their respective tasks, she left the kitchen to bring the tray of foods to whoever who ordered it.

"Everyone is really busy," she murmured while carrying the tray carefully.

After exiting the kitchen, her eyes were welcomed by the busy atmosphere of the café. Mr. Bong and Kikwang were assigned at the counter, Baro was serving the orders in different tables, Yoseob was assigned at the entrance of the café to welcome the customers and Junho was assigned to clean the tables. Even Nam Woohyun, the manager extended his help by also serving the orders to the customers.

After a while, she reached the area where table number five was. She stifled a smile upon seeing the customer. He was in a black hoodie, blue denim pants and white rubber shoes and an expensive watch circling his right wrist. She could not see his face because of his hoodie and he's in fact busy texting someone in his phone.

"Good day, Sir. Here's your order. Two brownies, one lasagna, a cup of cha and one blueberry cheesecake," Taeyeon politely said. 'Wait. Have I seen this guy somewhere before?' The young woman carefully placed the foods on the table while furtively observing the features of the man.

She felt odd that the man seemed to be familiar to her although the chances are very rare. Taeyeon swore that she felt very nervous without knowing the reason why. All of a sudden, her brain tried to recall a certain event which was two months ago.

'It couldn't be. Woohyun-ssi said that guy was a burglar. This man couldn't be the same guy, right?' Although the feeling of familiarity seemed to be unusual, she tried to dismiss it. 'But was he really sure that guy was a burglar? There's an expensive watch on his wrist, so that's weird. Oh, about the watch, this guy's watch seems to be the same as that guy's. This is fishy. Couldn't just be a simple coincidence, right?'

Shrugging off the peculiar thoughts inside her brain, she held the tray and asked, "Anything else, Sir?"

He put his phone down. The man whose eyes were covered by eyeglasses, lifted his head when he finally noticed her presence. "Nothing else. Thank you."

Much to her surprise, it was someone she's more than familiar with. Oh, familiarity was a big understatement.

"Sunggyu-ssi?" she wondered.

"Uh, wait." His calm expression was replaced by shock, realizing who the female staff was. "Is that you, Taeyeon-ssi?"

'Why did I think that guy and Sunggyu are the same? That is an impossible thing to happen.' She nodded as she managed to regain her composure. "Yes, it is me."

"Annyeong! So you're back. It has been a while since we last saw each other," Sunggyu stated. He couldn't help, but to break into a big smile. "It is nice to see you again here after months."

It has been months since they saw each other. Whatever her reason was for leaving the hospital without telling him why, Sunggyu wants to know, but seeing her doing well is more important for him.

"Yes, you are right. I am pleased to meet you as well," she thriftily responded. 'Thank goodness that it wasn't that guy or I'll think that someone is stalking me. Whatever. It's just Sunggyu and not some bad guy in a black hoodie.'

"Are you okay now?" the man asked.

"I have always been okay. How about you?" Taeyeon answered. 'That burglar couldn't be this filthy rich Kim Sunggyu, right? Come on. Woohyun won't say such words if that guy wasn't really a burglar. Maybe it's just purely coincidence that they're in black hoodies.'

'I am very much happy to hear that.' He nodded and calmly stated, "I am doing well, too. By the way, thank you for the last time. I appreciate it a lot."

"No problem with that. Anyway, I have to go back to my work now," Taeyeon politely answered. "Have a great day and enjoy your meal, Sir Sunggyu."

"Okay, thank you," he murmured. 'My day is great now because I saw you.'

"I'll go ahead." She gave him a bow before she left. 'It is very weird that I am coming up with useless thoughts. Ugh.'

"Well, again with that Sir word," he murmured while watching her leave. "But I am a customer today, so can't blame her."

He had the thoughts of stopping her from leaving, but his mind tell him on the other hand that Hope Café is busy at the moment and it needs Kim Taeyeon more than he does. There is always a next time anyway.

'I missed her badly. Didn't expect that one day, I'll see that beauty once again.' Sunggyu said before he took a sip on the white porcelain cup of cha. "I guess I need some morning buddy right now 'cause it feels sick to be alone."

"Kim Sunggyu, what's up with calling me this afternoon?"

The Friday afternoon was cold and breezy. The streets were snowy, evidently showing the effect of the winter season. Sunggyu and Woori were in a park. Because of the cold weather, there was no one at the park, giving a peaceful atmosphere which actually was the reason why he chose to stay there.

"I just wanted to see you, Woori," he answered as he gestured his friend to take a seat beside him on the bench.

"That makes sense since I have been away for another European trip last month," she answered, taking a seat beside him.

"How's life? How's the preparation for the big day going on?" he asked while facing forward.

"Fine as usual. Three months have been very busy to prepare for that day," answered Woori.

"So how are you feeling? I bet butterflies are flying inside your stomach," he stated, pointing her stomach.

"Um, not yet. But I know it'll come a week before that day," Woori explained. "I know he'll feel that way too."

"Of course, he would. If I were him, I would definitely feel that way," Sunggyu said candidly. "He's very lucky that he got you."

"Aren't you lucky too? If he's lucky, you are too 'cause you got me in your life as well," she joked.

"Yeah, yeah. I am lucky because I got you too," he affirmed, giving her a wink. "I don't know what will happen to me if you and Kwon are here."

"Speaking of Jo Kwon, I had a very nice food adventure last night with him along with the Hope Café staff members, Yoseob, Junho and Kikwang," Woori narrated. "I happened to meet them at Dongdaemun. I wasn't really familiar with them except for Kwon who I got to know because of your stories. But I got to know them somehow when I joined them with their food adventure."

Surprised with such story, Sunggyu asked in awe, "Really? That's really stunning. Didn't expect that, honestly."

"I think I have made new friends," she happily expressed. "They're very kind, gentleman and nice. They were even the ones who paid for what I have eaten. Those guys are really amazing and funny!"

"I am glad that you have gained new friends. Those guys are really kind, I swear," he stated.

"It is very nice to have new friends since there are only a number of days in the calendar before my stay here at Korea ends," she genuinely worded. A sad smile was plastered on her angelic face.

Sunggyu noticed the change in her expression. He's aware of how she feels. If he was in her shoes, he would surely feel the same.

Comforting his friend, the man held her right hand and said, "Don't be sad. Just cherish every second that is left."

"I thought of that, too, but I can't help, but feel sad," Woori said. "You can't blame me, Gyu."

"But do you really have to leave? You know that he can just fly here to Korea, so that both of you can live here," Sunggyu suggested.

"We have had enough of decisions, Gyu," she replied. "We have decided already even before the moment I arrived here. It's for our own good anyway."

"Then, just accept the reality. Go for it. Instead of burdening yourself with sadness, just let everything come and pass coolly," he advised. "Everything happens for a reason, right?"

"That explains why we did not even get into something deeper than friendship," Woori commented frankly. "Back in our high school years, others thought that we'll end up with each other, but they're wrong. We only stick with our friendship until this day. Maybe we aren't really meant with each other."

"Ah, that. Yeah, but at least, we're still friends," Sunggyu said, trying to be open-minded as a good friend of hers. "That is what fate wants us to be."

"I remember one time that Woohyun asked me if I was your girlfriend," she narrated before she let out a laugh. "Of course, I told him that we're not. He said that we're pretty much comfortable with each other that's why he thought that we're a couple."

"You are a good friend of mine in a way that you are like a sister to me that's why I feel confortable around you," the man clarified.

"I know that, Gyu. Well, to be honest, I had develop a crush on you during those times, but never got a chance to say it. Don't get me wrong, huh," she confessed as a shy reaction on her face.

He did not expect that confession from her. Sunggyu was not really aware of the feelings of Woori towards him during those times. Probably, the reason why he wasn't was he still hasn't gotten over his first love.

"Really?" he asked.

"Yeah, but most of the girls in our school also admires you. They even call you the angelic boy with eyeglasses from heaven," Woori explained in detail. "Don't you even remember that there were many girls who confessed to you during the Valentines' day, but you turned them down? What's worst was you did not attend the promenade where all of them expected you to come. I'll be a liar if I tell you that I did not expect too."

"Your memory is very sharp," he said as he let out a laugh. "If you did not remind me, I would have forgotten it forever."

"To be frank, back then, I wondered why you did not even like me. You always tell me good things, but you never took an interest on me," she expressed frankly, but without intending to put malice in her words. "Just honest thoughts, 'kay?"

"That," Sunggyu awkwardly stuttered. 'At first, I thought you were her. Your commonalities made me feel suspicious, but I guess those were merely coincidence.'

"But then again, I realized that your heart is only for that girl," Woori said. "Orange girl is the only one that your heart and mind tell you. When it came across my mind, that is when I started forgetting about my crush on you. You only like her and I know I won't be able to change that."

"Woori," he murmured.

"You don't have to feel bad, Gyu. I know it. I have been a close friend of yours, right?" she assured. "That's all in the past and that's only a sort of crush—something that is childish to think of."

"Look at yourself now. You found the right one for you," Sunggyu said. "You found the one that will make you happy."

"I know that. But what bothers me is you, Sunggyu," she stated with qualms. "I want you to be happy as well, but it seems that you still can't get over her. Isn't that right?"

"Woori, which do you want me to tell you, an honest answer or the most honest answer?" he asked.

"Obviously, I'll go for both. Remember that you haven't given me the reward for our bet before? Just tell both to me and I'll consider them as the reward," Woori answered back. "Now, ppalli! Ppalli!"

"Jeongmal? Haven't I treated you for food after you've won?" Sunggyu asked in disbelief.

"Ugh, whatever. Just tell me both, okay?" she said, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

"What should I tell you? That I still think of her despite loving someone else now?" he gabbled as he let out a sigh. 'These women are both bothering me right now. The one I love from the past and the one I love now. How ish and awful life is. Really.'

"Gyu, can you please speak coherently? I did not understand what you've just said. Don't babble, just say it straight. Come on, we're friends for Pete's sake," she snorted with an obvious sarcasm in the way she spoke. 'Just tell it straightly that you still think of her, but you love Kim Taeyeon now. It's brain versus heart, duh.'

He let out a sigh once again and cleared his throat. "Okay, okay. The honest answer is yes. Yes, I still think of orange girl," Sunggyu admitted with doubts. "Yet the most honest answer is that despite that, my heart beats for another person which is not her."

'Gotcha, Gyu! I have assumed it right. It's really a 50% brain and 50% heart situation. I really know you well.' Woori nodded and said, "And that girl who is not her is Kim Taeyeon. It would be a travesty if my assumption is wrong. I got this assumption the moment you acted weirdly the first time I mentioned her name back then and even during the breakfast wherein I told you to follow her. I'm not numb and dumb, Sunggyu."

'Okay, I'll admit it since we're friends.' The man wanted to protest and defend himself, but he found himself nodding which confirmed her assumption. "Yes, that is exactly the scenario. It's very awful, isn't it?"

"Oh gosh, Sunggyu! That is not awful," she disproved. "How can you say that falling in love is awful? Come on, don't be a cynical baby."

"But... but I think it's a lose-lose situation for me," Sunggyu explained. "I won't ever get to see orange girl again and I won't ever be loved back by Taeyeon. Isn't love so awful and unfair?"

"I get that point, but you shouldn't think of love that way," Woori advised. "Whatever challenges you are facing, they exist not to bring you down, but to make you stronger. Don't be a pessimist, Gyu. Just because you want things to happen doesn't mean they will happen. Work hard, eo?"

"But I work hard. I work hard to be noticed by Taeyeon and I extend my effort to find orange girl," the man defended.

"Then, your efforts are not enough. Work harder," his friend stated. "Anyhow, about that orange girl, are you really starting to look for her again?"

"Yes, I am. I already requested an investigator to look for her and for the woman who I suspect as her aunt," Sunggyu replied. "But I don't only rely with that because I do my own investigation despite my busy schedule."

"Jinjjayo? Her aunt? How come you know that she's her aunt?" she wondered.

"Actually, I saw that woman working at a coffee shop at Gangnam near where I live," the man explained. "I was so surprised to see her because it's been years since I did. Well, I am certain that it's her aunt. She might have become older, but I am sure that it is her because I can clearly remember her voice and face."

"How did she react? Did she tell you that it's indeed her?" Woori questioned.

"Unfortunately, she did not. That is what bothers me until now," Sunggyu stated. "I really can't think of any reason why she would deny that it's her. The name written in her nametag was Sam Jung."

"Sam Jung? Are you sure that it is really her? Maybe you just mistook her as orange girl's aunt," she commented.

"I may have been a dumb kid who did not dare to ask for the name of orange girl and her family, but I can still remember the face of her aunt and uncle," he remarked. "It's really frustrating that I kept my promise to her that I won't ask for her name or any of her family. Until now, I am having a hard time to find her."

"Don't blame yourself. You were still young and naive that time that's why it happened," she said to comfort her friend who was calm outside, but apparently frustrated emotionally.

"I don't know. Everything is my fault. If I did not ask her to come with me on that rainy day," he murmured with bitterness sandwiched in every word that his tongue rolled. "Nothing. Nothing bad would have happened."

Surprised with such statement, she wondered, "Bad? Why? Did something bad happen the day she disappeared that day?"

'Anio, Sunggyu. Please don't hook it up. You should bury it in the past.' The frustration was seen through his eyes, but his face remained calm as ever. Shaking his head twice, Sunggyu denied, "No, nothing bad happened. She just disappeared without saying any word."

"I don't wonder why you look emotionally down always," Woori described. "You'll find her soon. Just believe."

"I don't really know why I have this magnet in me that urges me to find her," the man said. "I love someone else now, but the past keeps on haunting me."

"Because you exerted too little effort to forget it," she opined straightforwardly. "Your heart might be telling you the present, but your mind keeps living in the past. Well, if I were in your shoes, I would have wished that my first love and Taeyeon be the same person, so it won't be so hard to deal with."

"The same person? Not possible at all," he tittered as his inner senses were rejecting that wishful thinking to be a possibility.

How can orange girl and Taeyeon be the same? Again with that question he thought of months ago. Maybe with the way they speak and their cold aura and even their hometown Jeonju, but for him, that's way impossible. Again, if Taeyeon is really her, then he wouldn't have to cry over an unrequited love. Orange girl loves him whilst Taeyeon does not. That's the big difference between these two entities who are both bothering his mind and heart.

Lastly, if it's really her, then she would have remembered him. The thing is that the moment they first met last January, they're completely strangers. So where's the logical point of comparing these two women who are really different from each other?

"Who knows? Fate might be kind to you more than you expect it to be. It will be nice if they're the same person, right?" she worded. "Yet even if that is not the case, things you expect least turns out to be the answers you have been looking for."

"Tsh. Don't joke like that. They're different, completely different people," he muttered, trying not to be fazed by such words. "But I have to agree with the last statement."

Giving his friend another piece of advice, she said, "Kim Sunggyu, just let fate do the honor for you. Sit back and relax. Things will soon go according to your way."

"You think so?" Sunggyu asked, giving her a wondering look.

"Yes," Woori answered with assurance. "I do think so."

"The café is busy. Why did you call us here to drop by your office, Woohyun?"

Sitting comfortably on the black couches inside Nam Woohyun's office at around three in the afternoon were Jang Dongwoo, Lee Howon, Lee Sungyeol and Kim Myungsoo who just came from their short vacation at Saipan.

"Dongwoo-hyung, before answering that, I'd like to know why you did not even inform me that you'll have a vacation at Saipan," the left behind Woohyun questioned as he calmly seat on his swivel chair. "I'm really envious that you had a trip without even telling me."

"What's with the fret? All of us had coincidentally filed for Christmas leave that's why we thought of having a vacation," Dongwoo clarified, giving him an annoyed look.

"But on the day I called you to ask you if you can join us, well," Hoya added sarcastically. "You immediately hung up the phone saying that you were busy. Oh, damn busy were the exact words."

"But that does not end there. ALL of us tried to call you, yet your phone says that you can't be reached," Sungyeol stated, adding much sarcasm to completely slam the man. "Now you are asking what happened. That's a great holiday joke if I must say."

"You should be thankful that we understand that you're busy. Well, as your close friends, we won't force you if you don't want to," commented Myungsoo as he gave Woohyun a fake smile. "Because that is how much we feel your situation. We are concerned to you. Happy?"

Nam Woohyun fumed in annoyance upon hearing those harsh words from his friends. How can they treat him that way with the holidays are forthcoming? Yes, he might have refused to answer those calls and totally ignored them, but he has his reason. He has his reason why he acted that way. These dudes could have been more understanding and considerate, right? But it seems the opposite happens.

"Sorry... but I had my reasons that's why... I wasn't able to talk to you, guys," he explained, managing to sound calm despite feeling humiliated after those words they told him.

"Reason? We'll no longer ask what that is because even if we do, you wouldn't tell us," Sungyeol stated.

"Okay, let this pass for now, guys. Now, Woohyun tell us what you want to tell us 'cause we are willing to listen," Dongwoo requested, finally putting off the brewing tension that might lead to an unexpected holiday fiasco.

"Go on, hyung," added Myungsoo. "Spill the beans."

"It's about the holidays," the humiliated Woohyun stuttered.

The disinterested Hoya questioned, "What about the holidays? An exchange gift giving or something?"

"A party?" the childish Lee Sungyeol asked. "Are there many foods there? Oh, that's exciting! When? Where?"

"Let me guess. Is it an outreach program?" Myungsoo wondered. "That seems interesting!"

Woohyun was a bit taken aback by such questions. The twenty-five year old hyung, Dongwoo noticed how his expression turned uneasy and uncomfortable.

He rolled his eyes and spat out, "Come on, guys. Let Woohyun speak first before you ask endless questions. How will he be able to say it if you keep on blabbering too much? Now it's your turn to speak, Namu."

Woohyun felt relieved with such words, finally enabling him to say what he wants to say. He shot Dongwoo a grateful smile before he revealed, "Hope Café team will be having a three-day vacation at Jeju Island. I called you here... well.... I want to ask if you are interested to come with us. But I am not forcing you. I'm just wondering if you're interested... somehow."

The office was abruptly filled with an unusual silence. The reactions painted on his friends' faces were stoic—instantly making him feel disappointed. He took their silence as a refusal to his kind and thoughtful offer.

'Should have not asked them. The answer is pretty obvious.' Woohyun forced a smile and assured, "It's okay if you do not want to. I am sorry if I dis—"

Change.

Much to his surprise, their stoic faces drastically turned into something he really did not expect.

Breaking the icy silence, Sungyeol rose from his seat and exclaimed, "Omo! Omona! It means PARTY, guys! Who are we to refuse, hyungnim?"

Myungsoo, Dongwoo and Hoya unexpectedly burst into laughter as they nodded in unison, confusing Nam Woohyun to the greatest intensity.

"Mw—mwo?" the confused man stuttered.

"What the hell is with that ed up expression, Nam Woohyun?" scoffed Hoya.

"Sungyeollie is right. Who are we to refuse such wonderful offer?" Dongwoo stated. "That is really a wonderful idea!"

"Finally some good words from the silly Nam Woohyun-hyungnim after all these months that have passed," Myungsoo said. "A FREE good vacation at a good place for this forthcoming holidays is definitely a good idea. Finally, I can save up money 'cause I originally intended to spend some for a vacation."

"I like that idea, Woohyun-hyung. I never knew you'll be this kind," Hoya calmly commented. "Well, the spirit of holidays is definitely not a joke."

Still confused, Woohyun uttered, "Huh? But I thought that you guys are not interested that is why—"

"We became silent? Is that right?" Sungyeol cut him off.

He precariously nodded and mumbled, "Yea—yeah. That's what I thought."

"Fool," Hoya muttered, giving him a mehrong. "Of course, we were just joking! How can you easily be deceived? Unbelievable. Silence does not always mean refusal. Heck! If you see us say no, then that's the only time it becomes a refusal. Not until we say anything directly, don't assume too much, eo?"

"But that's what I really thought," Woohyun murmured in defeat. He pouted his lips childishly, slapping himself for being deceived by his silly friends' act.

Afterwards, his face turned bright that his holiday plan will surely be an exciting one.

"Never mind that. But honestly, we're really going to join you with your Jeju trip," Dongwoo said. "It will surely be fun 'cause we'll have a bonding with the Hope Café team."

"It goes with the saying, the more, the merrier," Myungsoo added.

"But speaking of the more, the merrier," Sungyeol stated. "Have you invited Sunggyu-hyung as well?"

"Oh, he's right. I almost forgot it," affirmed Hoya who was sitting beside the tall Lee Sungyeol. "How about Gyu-hyung?"

"Sunggyu-hyung?" The glow in Woohyun's face vanished upon hearing that name—the name of his older brother which gives him a bittersweet feeling. 'Should I invite him too?'

In spite of maintaining a good relationship for the past few months with Sunggyu, there's still the fact that Woohyun does not feel completely fine with his brother. Before, the ill-feeling he holds against him comes with the reason that the older man bears a high position in the company and that Nam household's attention is all into him. Everything that a Nam could have is possessed by Sunggyu. But the case now is different. It's not all about the position, influence or attention that Woohyun's ego despises. It's the fear that he might discover everything—everything about his past that might change the flow of the game. He wants to forget the hatred he bears against his brother, but his selfishness holds him back from doing so.

With the holiday trip he's planning, the more Sunggyu gets close to her, the more chances of him discovering the truth. Since the day Woohyun found it out, that's when paranoia attacked him. As much as he could, he'll do anything not for his brother to get close with her or worse things will happen that even damage control won't be able to fix.

"Ey, ey! With that reaction, does it tell that you haven't thought of inviting your own brother?" Myungsoo speculated.

Sungyeol raised another question saying, "I thought that you both are in good terms now, so don't you think that it is a good idea to invite him too?"

'If you perform your act well, there is nothing you should be afraid of, Woohyun. Everything only lies with proper calculation.' Woohyun feigned a smile and stated coolly, "Guys, you are silly! Obviously, I invited my hyung to join us even before I invited you. How can I forget to invite my brother? He's the most significant person above anyone else, okay?"

"Are those words really coming from you, Mr. Nam Woohyun?" Hoya mocked, slightly unconvinced with such statements.

"I hope they are real," Sungyeol joked. "Not word from a jelly-jelly boy."

'Bastards! You'll have your day soon. I ing swear in my name.' He wanted to wreck the faces of the two guys for mocking his "good" act, but he chose to ignore them. That would be a jab on his clean front. Maintaining his composed expression, Woohyun stated, "Certainly."

"Hyungs, stop those mocks, okay? Look. Woohyun-hyung seems sincere. Let's not put any malice with that," Myungsoo sermoned to shut the mouths of the two guys.

"Myungsoo is absolutely correct," Dongwoo assented. "Well, Woohyun has no reason to lie with such words because he's already in smooth terms with Gyu-hyung. Am I right?"

'Let us say it that way.' Woohyun gave the older man a nod and said, "Yes, hyung. Could not agree more with you."

"See? Sungyeol-hyung and Howon-hyung, you don't have to mock Namu-hyung, eo? Since it's almost holidays, spread love, not war," sermoned Myungsoo once again who really couldn't believe that the two guys will mock Woohyun's good intentions.

While they were busy with their conversation, Woohyun got a chance to text his brother. Apparently, he made it sure that no one saw it. He wrote,

"Hyung-nim, annyeong haseyo! Are you busy? I am sorry if I will disturb you, but I would like to invite you to our holiday trip. Umm, Hope Café team will have a three-day trip at Jeonju and our friends are joining us. I hope you could join us too. Thanks. 사랑해, 형-님."

Not a minute has passed, but his brother already sent back a message saying,

"Hello, Woohyun. Not at all. Since my mother will be having a trip to Hongkong along with her friends, I'm alone on the holidays. Sure, I can join you. Just text me the details and I'll be there."

'Yes! It's working. But I guess I should invite one more before everything is settled. I couldn't let hyung be near the truth that I'm protecting.' Woohyun typed another message that he'll send to his hyung, saying,

"Hyung-nim, did Woori-noona come back from her European trip? I'm thinking if she could join us too."

Within less than three minutes, he received a reply from Sunggyu saying,

"I'm with her right now. When I asked her, she agreed to it. She said that she can join us too. I'll text you her number later, so you text her the details of the trip. Anyhow, I'll be taking her home now. Talk to you later."

"Good," he murmured as a smirk was curved by his lips. 'Everything is settled.'

On the other hand, Dongwoo seemingly thought of avenging the humiliated Woohyun. He wasn't pleased with Sungyeol and Howon's rude words. Not really pleased that his blood boils crazily.

"Oh, uh." Hoya became guilty and regretful with what he said earlier. To make up for that, he apologized, "I am sorry. I admit I was too careless with my words earlier."

"I am at fault, too. I am sorry, Namu-hyung," Sungyeol apologized.

'These kids seriously need to learn a lesson. Hmm... I got an idea!' To teach the two naughty guys a lesson, Dongwoo scoffed, rolling his eyes, "Sorry? Coming from you, Mr. Lee Howon and Mr. Lee Sungyeol? Can't imagine that both of you know how to apologize. I see now that birds of the same feather flock together. Not surprising that you both are Lee."

Shoot.

His statement brought shame to the two guys who spat out trash talks towards the poor Nam Woohyun earlier. Indeed, karma is a freaking vengeful .

Nam Woohyun might sometimes be a man with certain idiosyncrasy. Being his friends for years, they are aware of his rough personality. They will all agree that he's a quirky, fretful, short-tempered and self-centered man at most instances, but Dongwoo thinks that it's unfair for Woohyun to be judged, even if in a joking manner, just because of his not-so-pleasant behavior. Jokes are half-meant and these unintendedly offend someone's feelings.

Woohyun is a human who gets hurt as well, so as a hyung after Sunggyu to his friends, Dongwoo doesn't want to tolerate those words or actions that may offend one's feelings.

Myungsoo burst out in laughing, obviously mocking the two guys who was literally slammed hardly by their hyung. "Boom! Three-point slam, hyungs! Nice one, Dongwoo-hyung. You are the king!"

"Hyung-nim," said the embarrassed Lee Howon who scratched the back of his head.

"Hyung-nim," Sungyeol whined. "You shouldn't be like this. We're sorry, okay?"

"Sorry, sorry? Whatever. You now know how it feels like to be trashtalked, rascals," Dongwoo retorted, boasting a victorious smirk on his face.

"Sorry again," Hoya apologized.

"Yeah, I feel sorry too. I'll be more careful with my words next time," Sungyeol promised.

"Whatever. Don't say it, do it, rascals," Dongwoo mocked.

"Anyhow, guys, let's wrap this up," Woohyun said, gently entering the conversation once again. "I will be texting you the details tonight."

Myungsoo controlled his laughter. Turning serious after his silly mood, he said, "Okay, so it's settled."

"May the holidays be a blissful celebration to all of us," the oldest man said as a smile was formed by his lips.

"Eomma! Appa!"

11:30 pm. The Friday night at Seoul was wintry and quiet. The air freely danced along the tall trees covered by the snow of the winter season. Hearing the sound of the door bell, since Sungjong was busy with the ramen he's preparing, Taeyeon was the one who went towards the gate and opened it.

When she opened the metal gates of their house, surprisingly, her eyes were greeted by a woman and a man who she hasn't seen for months—her beloved parents who left for Mokpo few months ago.

"Taeyeon-ah," said Gongjoo, her fifty-one year old mother who put down two baggages on the snowy ground.

"Eomma! Appa!" the young woman said, still couldn't believe that her parents appeared before her sight.

"Taeyeon-ah, we have missed you," her father, Ilbong murmured as tears started to flow down his eyes.

"Eomma, Appa, please come inside, it's too cold outside," Taeyeon said while preventing herself to cry as well. She took some of her parents and carried them inside their house.

After a while, the Lee family were gathered in their living room with them eating the spicy ramen that Sungjong prepared.

"Eomma, Appa, where have you been? Did you ever think that we worry for you too?" Sungjong whined, putting down his chopsticks. "You keep on going to Mokpo without giving us any clue on why you do!"

"Sungjonggie, we'll say it at the right time. For now, just bear with us," Ilbong explained.

"Right time? When is that going to happen?" the young man questioned.

"Ah-dul," Gongjoo murmured.

"Sungjong, don't fret," Taeyeon said. "I know that you feel bad, but always think that Appa and Eomma only do what is best for you. I know it's for our sake."

'You are right. We do this for our sake. I am very sorry if we'll do this to you. I know you will forgive us too, Taeyeon.' Ilbong nodded and agreed, "She's right. Let's just enjoy the following days because it's almost Christmas."

"About that, umm," Taeyeon stated. "I'll be leaving from the 20th until the 23rd, but I will be back by the 24th."

Her parents became shock with what Taeyeon had just said.

"Huh? Wae? Where are you going, Taeng? Don't tell me you're going back to Jeonju, are you?" Gongjoo wondered, apparently frantic with her words. 'No, I won't let you stay there alone. Stop bothering yourself, Taeng.'

"Taeng, tell us. Are you going to Jeonju again and visit your aunt and uncle's old house?" her father asked with worry heard in his tone. 'What have you eaten that you're thinking about it again?'

'Did noona say something wrong? Maybe they're being paranoid that she might visit that house again. Aigoo.' Sungjong carefully studied the reactions drawn on their parents' face. He knew what they were thinking, but they assumed too much. He then explained, "Calm down, Appa and Eomma. That's not it. Taeyeon-noona will be leaving for a three-day trip not in Jeonju, but Jeju."

"Jong is correct. My boss wants our team to have a holiday celebration at Jeonju, but rest assured, I'll come back at the 24th," Taeyeon confirmed. 'Wae? Why are they panicking? Don't they really want me to go there? Aigoo. Something's off here, but I'll let it pass because of the holidays.'

Her parents started to calm down after hearing such confirmation from her.

"That is great. Your boss is really thoughtful huh," Gongjoo said in relief. 'Wooh! Thank goodness that she's not planning to go there again.'

'Good heavens.' Ilbong smiled and added, "I think your boss is really nice and thoughtful. I hope we can meet him someday."

'But you already did. Oops.' Taeyeon nodded and stifled a smile. "He's like that to everyone. Well, he's a very busy person, very busy. I don't know if you'll be able to meet him too because of that. Besides, he's a quite reserved person. He's kind, but he has a very quiet personality."

Of course, that's a big lie. Woohyun may be a very busy person, but he's not a "reserved" man. Yet at the first place, it's really a lie that they haven't met him yet because they already did meet him not just once, but for a number of times.

'Well, it really seems that rich guy is really a reserved person with the way he looked like. I wonder what's with her bright reaction now that her boss was mentioned. Maybe, she has a crush on him. Hahaha.' The youngest member of the family, Sungjong scrutinized the expression painted on his sister's face. He knew there's more into it. He really can sense it. But unbeknownst to him, the guy he saw back then was a different man from who he thought him to be. "Aww, that's too kind of him. I wish I had a boss like him once I get to land a job in the architecture field."

"That's why you have to work hard, eo?" Gongjoo said.

Ding dong. The door bell rang once again, but this time, it's Ilbong who went to open the gate outside.

"Annyeong haseyo. Is this the house of Mr. Lee Ilbong?" a delivery man who had just took of a red helmet asked.

"Annyeong haseyo. Yes, it is. I am Lee Ilbong. What can I do for you?" Ilbong answered.

"A package has been sent to you, Sir," the man stated, handing him a pen and paper. "Kindly sign this."

He signed it and said with wonder, "A package? I'm not expecting any package today, but anyway thank you."

The man handed him a box and replied, "You are very much welcome, Sir. Happy holidays."

"Happy holidays," said Ilbong who smiled and watched the delivery man leave in his motorcycle.

Without further ado, he closed the gates and brought the box inside their house.

"Appa, who was that person and what's that box for?" Sungjong wondered.

Out of the blue, Taeyeon jokingly asked, "Is that a bomb or something?"

"What the hell, Kim Taeyeon?! Don't joke like that," muttered Gongjoo who became terrified with her daughter's not-so-pleasant joke.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I was just joking," the young woman said, pouting her lips childishly.

"Chill, everyone. I don't think it's a bomb or something," Ilbong stated while gently peeling the brown tapes that sealed the box. "To answer such question, let's see what's inside, eo?"

"OMO! OMONA!" Gongjoo happily exclaimed. "Gifts?"

When the box was opened, they were all stunned with what they saw—four presents which were beautifully wrapped with a textured red wrapper with a gold ribbon on top of each present.

They all took one present each from the box.

"Wow! Seems that we have a gift from an anonymous Santa," Sungjong said while opening the card stapled on the side of a present he took from the box. "I wonder what this is and who gave this."

His eyes widened when he saw what's written on the mini card and afterwards read it loudly, "To Sungjong-dongsaeng. I hope you will like the gift I personally picked for you. Take care of yourself always. Thank you for being a good kid. Hahaha. Happy Holidays! From Nam Santa."

"Nam Santa? Oh, I'll read mine," Gongjoo said while carefully studying the present she took. She gently opened the card and read, "To Aunt Gongjoo. Annyeong hasimnikka! It has been a while since I saw you. Please always take care of yourself and call me if you need anything. Thank you for your kindness and happy holidays. From Nam Santa."

"I hope I got the right one. Well, I'll read the card on this present," Ilbong stated. He opened the card and read, "To Uncle Ilbong. Annyeong hasimnikka! I hope that you are doing well. We'll see each other soon and I will make sure that I will treat you for a drink. Thank you for your kindness to me. Happy holidays! From Nam Santa."

"Nam Santa?" Sungjong wondered. "Oh, what about yours, noona?"

'It is very obvious who the sender of these gifts. Nam Santa? Silly.' Taeyeon smiled and shook her head. She opened the card, but decided not to read it loudly.

'To Ms. Kim, Milady, Kim Taeyeon-ssi, Taeyeon-noona, Icy Princess, Taeng-noona and muse of the Hope Café. I hope you are doing well now. Enjoy your life as much as you can. Happy holidays! PS I'll see you tomorrow. From Manager Nam Woohyun, Nam boss, Sir Woohyun, Woohyun bastard, Namgrease, Nam prince, Namu and your only black knight.'

The lengthy message was written in a small yet legible penmanship to fit in the mini card.

She felt very moved by her boss slash friend thoughtfulness. She couldn't help, but feel happy that someone like Nam Woohyun will treat her kindly than anyone would ever do. But why did he send them gifts? She's aware that Christmas is upcoming, but it isn't necessary for him to give them gifts. Such deed gives her a different feeling, but she's certain that his intentions are real and that's what matters.

"Just the same as what's written on your card. Well, still from that Nam Santa," Taeyeon said plainly, immediately closing the card.

"Really?" Sungjong asked while trying to peek on what's written on the card. "Noona, let me see it. Do you know who Nam Santa is?"

'Nosy brother.' She calmly moved away the present, preventing her brother to see what's written on the card. "Nam Santa is Nam Woohyun-ssi."

"Is that true, Taeng?" Gongjoo asked while gently shaking the present she's holding. "Had not seen him for months now, but anyway, he's so thoughtful. Knowing that he's the one who gave this, I'm excited to know what's inside!"

"Woah! That explains it. Namu-hyung is the one who gave these gifts," Sungjong said in awe. "He's too thoughtful! I wonder what's inside this present." He shook the present he's holding.

"Are you really sure that you two are no more than friends, Taeng?" Ilbong questioned. "He seems to be very kind than typical friends do. The last time we met, he even volunteered to pay your hospital bills."

"Well, I have to agree with that. Honestly, Woohyun is a very ideal type man," his wife affirmed. "He's a very likeable person and you are very lucky to have him. It's just unfortunate that you can't be together because sooner or later you have to ma—"

"Gongjoo-ah!" Ilbong immediately cut his wife halfway with a firm consternation reflected on his expression. 'What the hell is she thinking? Does she intend to make the two of us be doomed?'

Taeyeon became confused with what her mother had just said. What does she have to do soon or later? Oh, and why did her father stop her with a consterned reaction on his face?

"Huh, Eomma? What does noona have to do? Why can't Taeyeon-noona be with Woohyun-hyung?" The confusion was also seen on Sungjong's expression. He sensed that there's something odd with their mother's words that he has to figure out as soon as possible.

'Jagiya, I'm sorry. I did not mean to be careless.' Gongjoo gave her husband a sorry look before she forced a calm reaction and excused, "Aish! Of course, you misunderstood my words. What I am trying to say is that if Taeyeon won't notice Woohyun's good actions, sooner or later, other women might ace his heart. If that happens, then, they can't be together."

She felt proud that her voice did not falter while saying such words. It's hard to come up with an excuse to make two shrewd beings like their children, Taeyeon and Sungjong believe that something is real. But she did succeed seeing how their reactions softened upon hearing her decent explanation.

"Oh, so that's what Eomma meant," the young man said plainly. "She has point though."

'But it is not like that it is possible for me to end up with Nam Woohyun who in reality is my boss.' Taeyeon shook her head and stated with disinterest, "Eomma, Appa and Sungjong, it is not like that is possible. Sir Woo... I mean Woohyun and I are just friends and we won't be more than that."

"Why not? I think he's single too just like you, so I don't think there's an impossibility that hinders that to become possible, right?" Sungjong questioned while shaking once again the present he's holding. 'I think you have at least a little feelings for him, so why not? Or does it mean you like someone else? Let me take a guess. Is it that guy who drove you home before? Uhh, that is your boss, right? But isn't that more complicated, noona? Wake up. Woohyun-hyung is in front of you, so stop looking around.'

"Whatever. He's just my friend. No more, no less. Don't put another meaning with our relationship. That's it," she clarified, rolling her eyes in annoyance. 'If you just know he's my boss, you won't ever say that. Besides, there is someone he likes now and I know he likes that girl so much. But it's not like I am hoping that I will be that girl. He's my boss and that's final.'

She did not know why, but there's something inside her that felt bad while slapping the fact to herself that Woohyun likes someone who is more likely not her. Taeyeon does not have influence, wealth or even a job with a high salary. She did not finish her studies due to financial constraints and she only lives to be the breadwinner of her family.

Nam Woohyun and her lives in a different world. He's rich whilst she's poor. She's aware of all those things and she does not aim high to be loved by someone like him. She knows that will always be a big illusion that even if she dies, it won't ever happen. Taeyeon convinced herself to believe it, but her chest felt a pang that she didn't know why she felt that way.

While deeply contemplating about those things, she realized that her self-insecurities were attacking her again. Why does she seem to be defensive, butthurt and insecure that Woohyun and her won't ever be together? She mentally gave herself a loud slap while wondering about it. It's not like she's harboring special feelings for him, is she? Or maybe there's more into it that she's not actually aware of, could it be?

"Really, Taeyeon-noona?" her unconvinced brother speculated while shooting her an I-know-what-you-are-feeling-right-now look. 'If that is the case, why so defensive?'

'I don't... I don't like... Grr! Woohyun and I are just friends. First, he's my boss. Second, he's my boss. Third, he's my boss! Okay?' She nodded and shot him a confident look. "Absolutely."

"Okay, I am convinced, noona. If that is what you say so," scoffed Sungjong who purposely bragged an unconvinced smirk before he turned his attention to the present he's opening. 'First, I am unconvinced. Second, I am unconvinced. Third, I will NEVER be convinced.'

"Anyhow, I am thinking if we could just open his gifts on the Christmas eve," Ilbong suggested to change the mood.

"I have to agree with that, Ilbong," his wife agreed, nodding her head.

"So I will be the one to keep them, if you wouldn't mind?" Taeyeon volunteered, raising her left hand. "I'll keep them in my room."

"I guess that is right. Let's just put it that way," Sungjong affirmed, giving his sister two thumbs up.

"Good morning, everyone! Since it's almost Christmas time, I wanted all of us to have a trip that will bond us all together," Woohyun said in front of his work colleagues, friends and even his older brother who had just arrived the café. "I hope all of us will have a great time at Jeju."

7:00 am. Everyone were gathered outside Hope Café at Cheonggu-dong. All of them were in casual winter clothes, bringing their respective luggages that are enough for their three-day trip at Jeju.

Raising his hand like an excited child, Sungyeol exclaimed, "Of course, we will all have a great time! It's all your treat, Namu! Nothing will be better than having things for free!"

All of them were stunned yet amused with the man's sudden outburst. They all broke into loud laughter.

"You don't have to shout that Woohyun-hyung will pay for everything. You're so embarrassing, Choding-hyung," Myungsoo blurted as he gave the childish man a mocking gaze.

"Well, I am just being true, L-kun. Am I right, Gyuzizi?" the childish Lee Sungyeol defended as he went towards Kim Sunggyu who just quietly laughed at a corner.

"Yes, you are right, Choding-dongsaeng," Sunggyu nodded, patting the head of the younger man.

"Isn't it nice that Sungyeol is honest? I bet others here like Myungsoo and Dongwoo-hyung are thinking the same too," Woohyun jokingly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter