33: Melancholia

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Melancholia

[Song of the Day: Super Junior - Andante]

14 years ago, 9th of March, Lee's Residence, Jeonju, South Korea…

 

"Call your sister now, Sungjong. It is her day," commanded a woman who was bannering a sweet smile on her face. She was in a yellow dress with its hem freely falling below her porcelain knees. A shiny headband shimmered on top of her curly hair, which passed over her shoulders. Her appearance reflected that she was in her early thirties. "She might sleep now that she's alone inside her room. You know her. If she gets bored, she gets sleepy. Ppalli, ppalli. Call her."

"Yes, Eomma." A short-haired boy answered in obedience, finished tying the laces of his gray rubber shoes. He was the son of the woman. In estimation of his appearance, he was seven to eight years of age.

Hurrying towards a room upstairs at the west of the house, he opened the sliding door with his tiny hands. The boy summoned, "Noona, it's time to come out of your room now." His voice was high-pitched and small, showing that he was of very tender age.

"Yes, Sungjong. Thank you." A lass responded, gently combing her long hair. Her eyes were calmly looking at the mirror which reflected her calm expression and how her lips pressed a thin line. Her skin was pale and her figure was thin. She girl was sitting on a small chair, facing a white table where the mirror was placed. She was in a white blouse and denim pants which hugged her tiny body and a pink cardigan supplemented her plain fashion.

The boy went towards her, bent his back, wrapped his arms behind his sister, and murmured, "Happy Birthday to you, Taeyeon-noona. I hope you will be happy today. I love you. You are the best person I could ever ask for."

"I love you too," she answered in her low voice. She held his arms which were circling her. "With you, Eomma and Appa, I could not ask for more too."

"Now, are you ready? Time to finish fixing yourself, Princess. Today is your day." He uncircled his arms and straightened his back. "You are beautiful enough in our eyes. You don't want to spoil the day by fixing your hair until it gets perfectly straight, do you?"

"Too good with words at a very young age. Can't imagine you're just seven and half years of age, my brother." She shot him a witty smile. "I just feel sleepy that's why I'm in front of the mirror, for your information."

"Really? You've missed this room, didn't you?"

"Yes, I did. Honestly, it's nostalgic to think that it has been almost four years since I've stepped the grounds of Jeonju," she opined. "It's just unfortunate that my mind has been completely emptied by the time that passed by like a cold breeze." Her smile turned bittersweet.

"Four years feel like forever, doesn't it? Too bad that we'll stay here only for a week, not ample for you to regain what's lost." He released a sigh. An unreadable reaction was formed on his face. "But if they remain forgotten, let them be. People live to create new memories and not to cry over a spilled milk."

"Too dramatic, but it's true. Are you sure you're just seven and a half? You sound like you're thirty trapped in a boy's body. Good with proverbial phrases and idioms. Impressive."

"I just reflect from what I read, see and hear. Nothing more. You are maturer though. You're more like a fifty."

"Eh, whatever."

"But how do you feel about not remembering the yore?"

"Not exactly. I mean I did not completely forget everything because I can remember at least a little." She laughed and soon paused. Disappointment stained her face when she continued, "To be candid, I feel disappointed. I can't even remember the time I first stepped my feet here at Jeonju, the time I entered kindergarten and the first years of my middle school, the times I played with other children, the faces of my teachers, our neighbors, my classmates and even friends if I had one or some. You were too young at that time and you were at Seoul with Eomma and Appa. And I... I was here with Aunt Saeyi and Uncle Bongdo."

"I heard that you've lived at another area here at Jeonju. I just don't know where..."

"I don't know either which is more saddening."

"Oh, no, no." He nodded his head. "Don't be sad. Today is not the day for sadness. Let's forget everything. Now, wear your face mask. I know it'll spoil your look, but it's for your health, so no complaints."

"I know..." She affirmed, wearing the face mask she pulled out from a drawer. "I wonder what exact health issue I have to have this one, especially whenever I'm outside. Doctor Hwang Soolgi wouldn't tell, but she just keeps on giving me medication and there are times I get psychiatric therapies."

He commented and nodded, "Rest assured, it's for your best, so no worries with it. "

She stood up from the chair. "Perhaps. I believe them that's why I don't question them with anything related to my health. I just do as they say." Taeyeon faced her brother who was behind her. "But do you know anything about it? If Doctor Hwang gives me Sertralin which is an antidepressant, I have an inkling it's more on psychiatric problem. Do you know what happened to me before? Any clue, please?"

His face became bland upon meeting her sister's eyes. Sungjong immediately diverted his gaze down to her hair and fiddled few strands with his hands. "Errr... I am not familiar with what happened to you before because Appa and Eomma did not tell me when they took you from here four years ago. I was too young at that time, so I did not understand it."

"Do you think I have a serious psychiatric problem or something?" She folded her arms. "Or more of trauma, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or what?"

"Trau—trauma what? Bipolar? Schizophre—what? I'm not familiar with those scientific terms, honestly." He shook his head twice. "Serious psychiatric problems? No, please don't think that you have one. I think it's just a minor problem or something."

"Seriously? Umm. But I'm being treated by Hwang-uisaseonsaengnim for four years now. Isn't there really something wrong with me?"

He lifted his gaze towards her and put his hands on the side. "Don't mind it. You're okay now and please don't think that something's wrong with you. You are okay, remember that. You are more than okay and that's what matters."

"Okay. Sorry for the inquisition. I just find some things peculiar. Never mind that. Now, let us not spoil this day and come out of our shells."

His face brightened again with her questions being put on a halt. "Gongju-eomma, check. Ilbong-appa, check. Aunt Saeyi, check. Uncle Bongdo, check." He smiled, curving his finger into the air. "Doctor Hwang is also present. Some our cousins are also in. Lee Sung Jong, here. Umm. The only missing is Kim Taeyeon."

"Okay, okay. I'm in!" She raised her left hand. "Kim Taeyeon here is present too."

"Of course, you're the celebrant. You're now twelve. It's time for us to celebrate another special day of your life, Taengoo-noona. Gaja! Let's celebrate," the younger one giggled, giving her a wink. "But before that, don't forget your eyeglasses."

"Yes, Mr. Lee Sungjong. Roger that," assured her as she pulled out the drawer once again and took the eyeglasses from a pink glossy case.

"So it's time to get the party started, noona."

"Saengil Chukhahamnida, Saengil Chukhahamnida! Saengil Chukhahamnida, Saengil Chukhahamnida! Saranghaneun, Taeyeonnie! Saengil Chukhahamnida!" The mixed voices of the people singing for her as they clapped their hands became a wonderful melody in her ears.

Letting her eyes focus on the colorful lit candles, her lips curved a smile. It was her twelfth birthday, the first celebration she'll have at Jeonju after four years. Her parents, brother, aunt, uncle and even her doctor and some of her cousins were present to celebrate the special day with her.

Seeing them present for her was more than enough to make her happy. Not a single material thing will be on par with the happiness of being with them. Their heads were crowned by colorful party hats. There were balloons and confettis everywhere. There were a lot of foods placed on a wooden table. The mood looked bright and everyone seemed to have prepared for the celebrant of the very special.

"Blow the candles, my daughter." A man in his mid-thirties who was holding the rounded chocolate cake said. It was her father. "But make a wish first."

"Thank you. Thank you," she mumbled, pulling down the face mask she was wearing. Taeyeon closed her eyes for a moment and blew the candles one by one upon opening her eyes. "Thank you for being with me today, for wishing me a happy birthday."

"You deserve the best things in this world, my daughter." Her mother expressed. "We will always be with you. We will always show how much we cherish you."

Taeyeon nodded and smiled. "Thank you, Eomma. Thank you, everyone. I am lucky to have you all. The only thing I have wished for is for us to be happy."

"We're the ones lucky to have you, Taeyeon-noona," said Sungjong who was behind her sister. He tucked the hair strands covering the face of her sister behind her ears.

"Taeyeon, you are an angel. You are an angel who makes us happy. So now, never be sad. Please always be happy. You deserve it." It was Doctor Hwang Soolgi, a psychiatrist from Seoul who eventually became a family friend since four years ago.

"Thank you, Hwang-uisaseonsaengnim. Thank you for being with us." The girl sincerely expressed her gratitude to her doctor. "Thank you too for always taking care of me."

"You're welcome. It's my pleasure, Taeyeon-ssi," Doctor Hwang assured. "I am pleasured to have a beautiful and kind patient like you."

"Let's cut it short for now. It's time to eat, people," Her uncle Lee Bongdo said whose grin was widely visible on his face. "Foods are waiting, 'ya all know. Time for dinner."

"Oohh, hubby is hungry now." Kang Saeyi, his jolly wife said in humor. "I bet his stomach is like growling tiger who wants foods like RAWR!"

All of them broke into laughter upon hearing the thirty-five old Saeyi's humorous remark.

"You're silly, Yeobong. But you don't fail to make us laugh," Bongdo childishly muttered. "That's why I love you."

"Really, Jagiya?"

"Eung. Really."

"I love you too, Bongdo-jagiya!" She threw her arms on her husband's shoulders and hugged him.

"Aigoo, aigoo! Just eat hyung and Saeyi if you're hungry." Ilbong whined, rolling his eyes for their public display of affection. "You know that there are kids here and you're ruining the moment. It's Taeyeon's day, remember?"

"Whatever you say, brother in law. There's nothing wrong if they'll see a true display of love. I want to show them how proud I am with my roses and hearts husband." Saeyi retorted back. She then turned her head towards her niece and smiled. "Am I right, Taeyeonnie?"

The twelve-year old girl nodded and agreed, "Yes, Aunt. It's cute, honestly." She flashed an assuring smile.

"Ei! Ei! Ei! No wonder my beautiful daughter wears eyeglasses. Aigoo," adorably having an annoyed look on his face, Ilbong blurted, rolling his eyes. "It's hundred over fifty if I am not mistaken."

Once again, all of them broke into laughter.

"Okay, okay. Stop the diss. Let us eat and we'll play games later." Gongju said. "I bet the kids are excited now for the games."

"Yahoooooo!!!" The children, delighted of what she said, exclaimed in exuberance.

Noticing the out of nowhere existence of his brother after searching for him in different corners of the house, she mumbled, "Where did Sungjong go?" She pulled up her face mask and fixed her hair with her fingers.

In search for her brother who unexpectedly vanished from the scene, Taeyeon went outside the house. From a distance, she saw Sungjong who was walking happily.

"Sungjong," she summoned and flagged her hands.

Upon hearing his sister's voice, he turned around to face her. "Oh, noona. Why are you here outside?" The boy asked as he immediately went towards her.

She mumbled, "I am looking for you."

"You know that you are not allowed to go outside without being accompanied by someone from us."

"I'm sorry. I was just worried that you vanish from the scene, so I went outside to look for you."

"Okay, I'll let it pass." The boy shot his sister a smile. "Now, stay inside and I'll just buy something."

"What are you going to buy?"

"I am in crave of cotton candy."

"Did you ask for our parents' permission to go outside by yourself?"

"Yes, I did. Besides, the cotton candy store is just two streets away. I can handle myself."

"Be careful. Do you want ne to accompany you?"

"No need. I am alright."

"Okay, I understand."

"Do you want me to buy you one too?"

"Uh, sure." She nodded in assurance and smiled. "Thank you, Jong-dongsaeng."

"Okay. Stay inside our house now and I'll buy cotton candies."

"I'll just wait here."

"No, noona. You're safer inside our house."

"But—"

"Okay then if you insist. Wait here." Sungjong gave her left hand a soft touch. "Be safe. I'll just buy cotton candies for us, arasseo?"

She nodded her head obediently and watched her brother from his touch disappeared from her sight. The warmth of her brother's hand lingered in her senses. "Co—cotton candy?" Her eyes widened. She stood frozen.

The word kept resonating inside her head and her lips which were covered by a face mask, reiterated the word unconsciously. "Co—cotton candy." A backtrack of memory struck her mind.

 

Dooog, dooog..

 

[=]

"Be safe. I will just buy cotton candies for us. Arasseo?" A smiling boy mumbled, giving a girl a soft touch on her hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter