36: Chasing Rainbows

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chasing Rainbows

[Song of the Day: INFINITE - Love Letter]

Pitiful as it seemed, he felt how tears trickled down his algid cheeks. His lips and hands were quivering. It felt ing painful. He felt how his heart was swallowed up by pain. He closed his eyes tightly as he took a deep breath. Yes, he cried. The stoic man of Nam Corporation, Kim Sunggyu cried because of love—a very surprising fact which anyone would never believe. But it happened. At that moment, he was not the executive director of one of the biggest companies in South Korea, but a pitiful and hopeless man who’s pained by life’s inequality and misery. It’s so pathetic, isn’t it? Even he himself admits how pathetic he is.

Indeed, love turns the sanest to become the craziest person in the world. It's ironically awesome, very ironically awesome. Love is one ingtastic feeling that gives an illusion of heaven, yet buries a person in the stinky pits of inferno. Paradise in a filthy and hopeless world such as Earth is idealism. Paradise and Earth will never be parallel. They will never meet each other, no matter what. Same principle goes with Taeyeon and him. Even if he pushes himself to her, if she does not like him back, that's it. That's how the story that never started ends.

He let out a pained chuckle. He was damn crazy. He was damn crazy man out of love. Yes, he does love her. If he doesn't, he wouldn't be hurt seeing how Nam Woohyun kissed Kim Taeyeon. He even saw how she clung her left arm on his shoulder, seemingly responding to his brother. It could only mean one thing: his brother's relationship with her is no joke. Fantastic! It's fantastically painful, Sunggyu's mind shoved this fact on his face.

He coldly wiped the tears on his face with his quivering fingers, wiping away the pain that unrequited love has given him. His mind commanded him to run away. Kim Sunggyu is not a masochist, for crying out loud, his mind and heart scolded him. He's not a masochist who will continue to endure the pain of unreciprocated love until it puts him to death. Thinking about how love will be the death of him is absolutely the most awful thing he could ever imagine. But of course, the fact that he's the strong executive director of Nam Corporation even if the world turns upside down, he will always be the resilient man who will never back down in anything—even if it's just a hypocritical facet to console his broken heart.

He turned back, slowly taking slow steps away from the place. He did not need to watch them any longer. He had enough pain and he didn't need to hurt himself more. Not anymore that he's already too hurt.

Woohyun slowly pulled away from her. Both of them were out for some air after minutes of kissing.

"I am sorry," one word that came out from his lips. Seeing how her face was emotionless like a stone, Woohyun was attacked by guilt. He felt guilty that he kissed her. He's aware that it's not her first time to be kissed by a man, where in fact, Sunggyu already did and it's not the first time either that he kissed her, but he felt bad for her. He could sense how she felt uncomfortable with his recklessness. That kiss was a clash of heaven and hell, for him—heaven for he felt victorious for kissing her bravely and hell for the guilt and anxiety that she may distance herself from him after what he did.

"Gwaechasseumnika," Taeyeon softly answered, lowering her head to eschew his gazes. "You were in panic, so you did that, right?"

Her fingers played with the hem of the hoody, anticipating of what her boss would answer. She was waiting for him to say 'yes'. She would not be bothered anymore if her boss confirms it himself that he kissed her for only one particular reason, and that's to save their asses from being caught by Baek Sunghyun's men.

The man felt speechless. He did not know what to answer. He’s also surprised with the fact that she did not get angry. She neither slapped nor punched him after what he did. Did he do it to shoo those men away? Did he do it for himself or perhaps, does it apply for both reasons?

Soon, he found himself slowly nodding to her question. He could neither say the latter nor both. Otherwise, there's a chance that he'll find her the other day resigning from the café and going somewhere where he would never find her. Woohyun will never like that. Never EVER.

"Yes, that's true," he answered straightly, sounding so sincere though it's the other way around. "I am sorry. I am sorry if I..."

"I understand, Sir," Taeyeon assured despite her faltering voice. She lifted her head up and met his soft gazes. "Geokjung hajima. I will just forget it and it will not affect anything between us. Thank you for saving me, but please don't do such thing in the future."

Hurt and relieved. He was hurt and relieved at the same time once her lips parted to say such words. He was hurt that she'll forget what he did like it did not happen and how she felt nothing about, but also relieved that it will not affect anything between them. Yet that's surely better than seeing her distance away from him. The mere fact she stayed calm and did neither plan on suing him for what he did nor land a slap on his face is a big relief for him. A considerate yet apathetic Taeyeon at times like that is pretty much bearable, so he needs to get over with what happened.

"I am sorry again, and of course, I promise not to do such reckless act again. This will be the first and last," the man responded, nodding his head again.

“I know.”

"Now, let's find Sungjong and your parents, and let's head to the hospital to get you—"

Before he could finish his words, Taeyeon dropped lifelessly on his shoulders. His eyes widened as his arms supported her limp body.

"Taeyeon-ssi," he called out, trying to shake her a bit. He did it thrice, but getting no response, he enclosed her in his embrace to prevent her from falling. “, this is no good.”

"She's suffering from fatigue and slight physical injuries, but her condition is stable now," said an old man who was in a white coat with a stethoscope hanging around his neck. "It's more likely caused by emotional stress. She can be discharged tomorrow after she takes a rest her for few more hours. You may now check Ms. Kim Taeyeon inside her room."

It was already five in the afternoon. When Taeyeon collapsed on his shoulders few hours ago, Woohyun brought her at the nearest hospital without any hesitation. After arriving at the hospital, he contacted Sungjong to inform him and his parents of what happened to the young woman.

"That is a big relief to hear. Kamsahamnida, Han Shin-uisaseonsaengnim," Woohyun said in gratitude, giving the doctor a ninety-degree bow.

"Anything for you, Woohyun-ssi," the doctor answered, stifling a smile on his face. He gave the young man a soft pat on his left shoulder.

Lee Gongjoo, her husband and her son bowed as well as they thanked in unison, "Thank you very much, uisaseonsaengnim."

"You are very welcome, too," Doctor Han responded, nodding his head. He bowed his head. "I will be going now."

Once the doctor left, Gongjoo put a hand on her chest. Her body almost collapsed on the floor, but Sungjong was able to get a grip of his mother.

"Thank goodness," she weakly murmured, heaving a big sigh of relief. "I won't be able to forgive myself if anything happens to Taeyeon."

"Taeyeon-noona is fine now," Sungjong tried to comfort his mom. "We're lucky that Woohyun-hyung was there for her. Please don't worry too much because noona wouldn't be pleased to see that, Eomma."

"Woohyun-ssi, thank you. Thank you for being there for our Taeyeon," cried Gongjoo who held Woohyun's hands tightly.

"Gongjoo is right. Thank you. Thank you for saving our daughter. We owe you a big thing," Ilbong said gratefully, giving the young man a ninety-degree bow.

"No, it's okay," Woohyun humbly answered, gesturing Ilbong not to bow. "Please don't thank me. Taeyeon-ssi is a very good friend of mine. I helped her because she's my friend and I'm returning back the kindness she always shows me."

"Hyung, Taeyeon-noona is very lucky to have you as her friend. Thank you for being there for her. If it's not just because of a deal, then both of you can be to—"

"Lee Sungjong," Gongjoo's word immediately shut her son's mouth. She shot him a conspicuous stare, signaling not to continue his words anymore.

"Deal?" Confused with what Sungjong was trying to tell, Woohyun asked, "Huh? What do you mean, Sungjong-dongsaeng?"

"No, please do not mind him, Woohyun-ssi," Ilbong intruded, shaking his head twice. "So shall we head inside to see her?"

"Algesseumnida," the young man answered.

Kim Taeyeon was laying on the bed in a hospital gown, a small plastic bandage on her lips and gauze bandage on her left knee and intravenous needles penetrated against the veins of her hands. She looked better than she was earlier. Her face was no longer pale and she no longer looked like a mess. She might look weak, but at least, she's awake—alive and can talk after regaining some strength from her four-hour unconsciousness.

"I am completely fine right now," she assured with a hundred percent certainty.

"Are you hurt anywhere? Did any of them hurt you?" Ilbong frantically questioned as he's on the verge of tears seeing his daughter awake before his eyes.

"Animnida, please don't worry too much," she calmly answered as a smile crept by her lips. "It's all thanks to Woohyun-ssi who was there for me."

"Aigoo, noona! We almost died when I received a call from Woohyun-hyung that you were brought here in the hospital. Thank heavens you're okay now," Sungjong said, gently hugging his sister.

"Woohyun-ssi saved me from danger, so it's all because of him why your noona is healthy and alive now," Taeyeon wittily responded, patting her brother's back gently.

"Back then, I was your one and only Superman," Sungjong said, releasing his sister from his embrace. "But now, it seems that you've found another superhero in your life."

"Silly," she cutely retorted as she pinched her brother's cheeks hardly. "Who said that you're my superhero? Ya! Appa is my only superhero while you are my cute teddy bear."

"Noona! Teddy bear? No, you said that I am your superhero," her brother protested errantly, stomping his feet childishly.

"Anio. Did I ever say that?"

"NOONA!"

"Shut up, Lee Sungjong. I never said that."

"Aigoo! Do you think I'm forgetful enough to forget that?"

"I don't know. Probably, that's just a dream of yours."

"Eeehh!! Noona!"

Gongjoo, Ilbong and Woohyun laughed seeing how cute the siblings were.

"They're cute, aren't they?" Gongjoo stated, laughing hardly.

"You're right, Aunt," Woohyun agreed as he nodded. "They are too cute and adorable as siblings."

"Aigoo! Aigoo! They might have grown-up, but they still remain as the silly kids we've taken care of," Ilbong commented.

"It's cute, so don't complain, eo?" Gongjoo muttered, giving her husband a hit on his shoulder.

"Aww! That hurts!"

"Serves you right, Ilbong-ah."

"YA, LEE GONGJOO!"

The day after she was confined in the hospital, Taeyeon was able to be discharged by eleven in the morning. Woohyun and Ilbong were the ones who settled the discharge papers. While both were waiting for their turn, both took a seat at the waiting area.

"Uncle, I will just be the one who'll pay for her hospitalization bills," Woohyun spoke up first, breaking the silence between them.

"Woohyun-ssi, you know that we owe you a lot, and doing that will make us more indebted to you," Ilbong answered, looking at the young man who seemed to have said such words with sincerity.

"But she's my friend, Uncle," the young man insisted with his non-changing sincere tone. "She saved my life once before, so it's time for me to give back her kindness."

"Our Taeyeon did? Eonje?" the old man wondered.

"Remember the time that I was injured before? She saved me from being killed by bad guys on the streets," Woohyun stated as he smiled with the reminiscence of the event.

[~]

"Painful? Hahaha~ Where is your Appa and Eomma now, baby? Eodi? Eodi? You are now in our hands. Sorry baby, you will no longer see them before the sun rises tomorrow. I am enjoying your pain. No, WE are enjoying your pain. Don't you know that?" Ahjo scoffed and soon commanded the youngest one, "Songdong-ah, PUNISH THIS MAN NOW!"

"Okay, boss. As you wished, I will teach this beautiful young man a lesson." Songdong calmly said. "Do you want us to ruin his face or stab his heart first?"

"Well, any of those two will do."

Woohyun's eyes widened when the man brought out a fan knife out of his pocket. He stuttered, "Aigoo! What is that? What are you going to do?"

"Can't you see? This is a fan knife. A knife that I will you to stab you until you struggle and beg us for forgiveness. Kid, isn't that nice and exciting?" Songdong evilishly answered back which made the other men laugh crazily like earlier. Seeing no reply from the young man, he asked, "Aigoo! Don't you feel thrilled or excited? But we do! Right, guys?"

"Yes, our maknae is right!" Hakshin answered back in a creepy manner, giving chills inside Woohyun's spine. "WE ARE VERY EXCITED!!"

"Do it now, Songdong-ah. Let us chop this big fish into small pieces!" Joosong enthusiastically exclaimed.

He yelled, "PREPARE TO DIE NOW, YOUNG RASCAL!!!!!!" Songdong smirked and aimed the knife on Woohyun's chest. The latter still tried to free himself from the arms of the strong men, but his effort was no use since he could feel the numbness of his body.

When Woohyun thought he was about to die, he shut his eyes tightly. He whispered to himself, "Goodbye. Goodbye, everyone."

When Songdong was about to stab the pitiful young man, a strong arm stopped him from doing so. The moment Woohyun opened his eyes, he felt how his breathing stopped.

Everyone was shocked. Really shocked because of this person's appearance out of nowhere. And Nam Woohyun's wishful thinking became possible. The knife from Songdong's hold was snatched away from him.

"WHO IN THE HELL ARE—" Songdong yelled, but his words were halted as if something caught his tongue.

"Annyeong haseyo." Taeyeon lowly greeted before starting to beat all of the men, and monotonely stated, "What a beautiful night it is, isn't it? Ahjussis, prepare yourselves now."

Joosong asked, "Mwora—"

"Didn't you hear what I have said?"

"What did you—" Hakshin stuttered.

"Oh sorry, that isn't complete." Taeyeon said in a calm yet threatening voice. "Prepare yourselves now. Prepare yourselves to DIE."

"DIE?" Ahjo stuttered in anxiety.

"Yes, Mister. Die. Isn't that exciting?" Taeyeon darkly said which frightened the men more. The men were all fazed and frozen from where they were standing. "Nope? Well, I am. I am excited. Oh no, that is an understatement. EXCITEMENT is not enough to describe what I am feeling right now. How do you want me to kill you?"

Joosong, like a scaredy cat, uttered, "What are you saying—"

"Umm~ Do you want me to stab your heart with that fan knife?" The person once again asked in an intimidating yet calm voice, pointing the knife on the ground. "Or do you want me to break your skulls first until you die?"

"What the f—" Hakshin yelled, but was cut off when that person smirked proudly.

She stated, "Oops, oops, oops. No foul language, okay? Well, because you were about to say a foul word, I guess I should punish you FIRST. No, I think beating you and the other guy at the same time is pretty much interesting. Don't you think so?"

Woohyun's eyes widened with his mind trying to process the view of the person beating Hakshin and Joosong in front of him. Finally, Woohyun was released from their strong arms. He stammered, "You—you are—"

As if it was like an action movie, she started throwing punches and kicks on the men. Hakshin and Joosong were severely injured with blood dripping down from their mouths.

Woohyun was really amazed with his savior's amazing skills. After beating down the pathetic bastards, Joosong and Hakshin, Taeyeon commanded him, "Nam Woohyun, move back and call the police NOW!"

"But, Taeyeon-ssi—"

"PPALLI! JUST DO AS I SAY, NAM WOOHYUN!" Taeyeon commanded loudly which frightened the young man. "HURRY UP AND DO IT!"

"Nae, nae. I will." Woohyun stuttered in panic as he backed away, digging out his phone from his pocket. Unfortunately, his phone fell down on the ground because his hands were literally shaking. "Oh my! My phone."

Songdong and the notorious leader, Ahjo were the only ones left that needed to be beaten up. Taeyeon smirked and asked, "So, there are still two of you who are left. Who do you want to go first? You or—" She pointed Ahjo then the twenty-three year old, but looks like a forty-five years old Ahjussi, Songdong. "You?"

"You woman—I know you are very beautiful, but that—" Ahjo stuttered anxiously.

"Beautiful? Me? Thank you for that compliment, Ahjussi." Taeyeon calmly said as she pretended a laugh. "Since you have given a very nice compliment, I will let you choose. Do you want me to kill that silly one first or do you wish to die first?"

"Die? What the—" The old man stuttered with his eyes widening in frighten.

"No, foul words, Ahjussi. Arasseo?" Taeyeon went towards him after picking up the fan knife on the ground, and murmured, aiming the knife near the man's neck, "Well, I promise not to make your death a painful one if you choose to go first." The old man stared at Songdong emptily and he instantly became silent.

Songdong stammered, "Boss Ahjo, please do not be like this. I STILL DON'T WANT TO DIE!" He was about to run to escape, but Taeyeon picked up a baseball bat on the ground and threw it on his feet which made him lie on the ground instantly. "APAYO! APAYO! AGASSI, PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON US!"

"Oops.. Sorry, young man. I did not mean to hurt you. Well, I just wanted to prevent you from escaping. Mercy? Well, I would have given you one if you did not attempt to escape." Taeyeon walked towards Songdong while pulling Ahjo along with her. "You, Mister. You punish this young man for escaping. Do it."

Ahjo scaredly muttered, "But, Agassi—"

"You don't want to? Well, isn't he too unfair? He almost escaped and left you alone here in agony? Ahjo is your name, right? Ahjo-ssi, you better teach this fellow of yours the COURTESY towards older ones. NOW!"

"But, but—"

"Oh, Ahjo-ssi... Umm.. Sounds like Ahjussi. Funny." Taeyeon mocked before she threatened the man with the knife, "Now, choose. You or this guy?"

Ahjo did not have a choice, but to ready his fist and punch the younger one. Suddenly, Taeyeon held his hand and prevented him from doing so. She said as she waved her index finger, "Oh, no, no, no. I do not think it is a good idea. It seems to appear like a melodrama or something."

"WITCH! WITCH! You are A WITCH!" Though he felt lethargic lying on the ground, Songdong yelled in frustration. "YOU ARE AN EVIL WITCH! MANYEO! MANYEO! MANYEO!"

[~]

"She was so strong to beat up those men and she even threatened them, for them to leave me alone," the young man described. "If she was not there, my family would have seen me in a cold coffin. It's all thanks to her that I am alive. I even remember that she and Aunt Gongjoo visited me in my apartment to check whether I'm recuperating or not. They even brought foods which you prepared for me."

"I understand your point, Woohyun-ssi. However, I want to take the responsibility of what happened to her. It's my entire fault. I am an irresponsible dad to Taeyeon. I can't even protect her from danger," the old man dejectedly said, heaving a sigh.

"No, please don't say that, Uncle. Although I don't know what happens in your family, I can sense how much you love your children," Woohyun genuinely expressed. 'And I feel envious of that. They are very lucky to have you as their father, Ilbong-samcheon.'

"You really are an angel, Woohyun-ssi. We are very lucky to meet you," Ilbong said. ‘If you could just be the man for her, Woohyun-ssi. But... everything is my fault. We should have met you earlier.’

"But can't you really tell me who those men were and why they broke inside their house? If you would, maybe, I can help you," the young man asked. "I'll ask some people to investigate who those men are and I'll make sure that they rot in jail and never bother you."

"No, we'll settle it on our own. You've done a lot for us," Ilbong refused, shaking his head. "It will be better if you are not involved with such mess. Besides, the authorities whom I have talked to earlier assured me that those men will no longer bother us. I even discovered that there’s someone who texted creepy messages to her yesterday. The perpetrator is one of the men who attacked us. Now, they’re detained in the police’s custody. Still and all, thank you Woohyun-ssi for everything."

"I understand, Uncle. I will respect your wish. But since you don't want to tell me about that, I'd only insist one thing."

"One thing? What is it, Woohyun-ssi?"

Woohyun answered, "As what I have said earlier, I want to pay her hospitalization bills. Can you allow me to do so, Uncle? Butakhaeyo."

"But—"

“Can I? Please,” Woohyun pleaded, showing his puppy eyes and aegyo in high hopes of convincing the old man. “Butakhaeyo, Ilbong-samcheon.”

‘I didn’t know he’ll be this cute.’ Amused with the young man’s childish yet cute act, the old man let out a soft laugh and gave him an approving nod. “It’s not like I can refuse to such cuteness, right?”

“Yahoo! Gomawo, Uncle Ilbong,” the young man beamed, clapping his hands like a three-year old child.

It was a warm afternoon of Friday. The clouds were white and clear, a big contrast to the busy streets where many people were busy with their own worlds—some people who were in their stalls were selling their products while some people passing by were chatting with their companions.

The breeze was warm, and he could feel how it touched his cold skin. His eyes were covered with glasses and he was wearing a white dress shirt, supplementing his blue cardigan and white pants. He’s in his office clothes. He did not even bring a car with him nor ask his friend secretary, Lee Kwangsoo to drive him. He wanted to be alone. He wanted to search for himself alone.

He wanted to ease the bad feeling inside his heart alone. He’s hoping that he’ll feel better while walking. The pain and sadness inside his heart—he desperately wanted to forget them. If walking along the streets could just wash away the pain and gloom which agonize him, Kim Sunggyu will be very happy about it. But could it? Could it wash away his pain and gloom? Certainly not.

All of a sudden, he remembered how he cried yesterday. He cried for someone. He cried for someone he likes. The last time he cried hardly for someone was when he’s ten. It was the time when his mother brought him to the Nam household. He cried that he’d be away from his mother whom he lived with for ten straight years. Oh, not to forget that he also cried for his beloved ‘orange girl’. He cried hardly for months when she disappeared after what happened during the very “tragic day” of his life which he would always want to skip thinking about. At that time, he felt how he was like he’s dying. His young heart almost died in pain. But thankfully, he somehow got over with it though there’s still a scar remaining inside his heart because of his painful childhood times. After his painful first love, he promised to himself not to ever be fooled by love again. He became afraid of being hurt. He became afraid that he would end up like the pathetic young Kim Sunggyu whose heart was filled with gloom, hopelessness and misery.

How about the present Kim Sunggyu? Isn’t he slowly becoming the young Sunggyu who ended up with misery because of love? Then, he broke his promise to himself. When he started being the executive director of the Nam Corporation, he promised that he’d only focus with the company, nothing but the company. But what's he doing? He's bothered mentally and emotionally by love. That one word love is what makes him lose his professional facade. Like an incurable virus, he's losing himself. He's losing the 'self-image' he created for himself because of love. Albeit it's not Kim Taeyeon's fault that he loves her. She may be the reason why he's going nuts, but it's not her fault rather it's his fault. He's the one creating his own hell. He's the one hurting him. He's battling with his own mind and heart. Yet that's how a man falls in love—deeply, madly and sincerely.

After a while, drops of rain fell down from the sky above like rivulet of tears. Many people started running to prevent themselves from being soaked in the rain whilst he did not mind it. It's not like the rain will kill him. It’s refreshing and it’ll make him feel better.

"Rain. It's raining." He looked above the sky. A bitter smile was curved by his lips. 'Does the heaven feel the same way as I do? Does the heaven want to sympathize with me?'

He was gradually soaked by the cold rain, but he just stood calmly. Sunggyu watched how the rain drenched him with coldness, hoping that it will wash away everything even for a few minutes. The man closed his eyes.

He felt numbed. The coldness of the rain drops numbed his heart enthused in sadness. At least, it made him feel a bit better. Sunggyu convinced himself that it's not only him who's crying, but the heaven did, too. The heaven sympathize with him. It only meant that he's never alone. He's never alone in the midst of the hopeless world.

Like the usual days, Hope Café has been very busy. Customers flock in the café while the staff members were doing their very best to maintain a good service for them. It was a usual day for everyone, but Taeyeon felt odd that someone’s presence is nowhere to be found.

"I have heard that you're sick yesterday. Are you all right now, Taeyeon-sunbae?" Dongjun asked, putting a hand on her forehead.

"I am fine now," she guaranteed as she nodded.

He removed his hand and smiled. "That's nice to hear, Taeyeon-sunbae. I am happy to hear that from you."

"Anyway, have you seen Sir Woohyun? I haven't seen him since this morning," wondered Taeyeon who looked around the kitchen. ‘Where is he? I prepared a bento for him as a way of gratitude, but it seems that he’s not coming today.’

"Jeongmal? If that's the case, I guess Sir did not tell you."

"Tell me what, Dongjun-ssi?"

"Last night, Sir Woohyun informed us that he'll be out for Hongkong. He'll stay there for a week because his grandfather, Chairman Nam wants him to study about business-related matters," Dongjun explained. "Perhaps, he did not inform you because he did not want to bother you because you're sick. He dropped by the café at six in the evening last night, and we're all wondering why he didn't come by the morning or afternoon. Probably, that's how busy he is with some stuff."

The reason why he did not come to work early was because he accompanied the Lee family and Taeyeon who was discharged from the hospital. The staff members were not informed by Manager Nam Woohyun about what happened to her. Taeyeon requested him to keep things private because what happened to her was a family-related matter.

'Why didn't he tell me? He was with us until the afternoon. I have exerted an effort to make a delicious bento for him. What a waste. Nevertheless, it's not his obligation to tell me about his whereabouts, yet it would have made me at ease if he did.' Taeyeon nodded and answered, "That's true. Besides, I was absent yesterday, so that's why."

"Anyway, sunbae, Kwon-hyung would like to invite us for a dinner by nine. If you're free, you may join us," Dongjun stated.

"Yeah, sure. I don't have anything else today, so I'm in," she answered without any hesitation.

"I am glad to hear that," Dongjun said, shooting her a smile. "We'll have to bear with Manager Nam's absence for a while. Once he comes back, we'll get a chance to have a dinner as a whole somewhere. Perhaps, a barbeque party will do."

"You're right. That's a good idea, Dongjun-ssi. Well, he last time we've eaten as a whole was last February, so it's been quite some time now."

"So I'll be helping the rest of our colleagues now, Taeyeon-sunbae. Just approach us should you have any problem, okay?" Dongjun said, giving her a pat on her shoulder.

"Yeah, sure. I will."

The busy Friday of the Hope Café ended quickly without any notice. The clock's hands struck to ten o'clock in the evening. After fixing and putting everything in place, the staff members changed in their casual clothes and brought their things with them. The tiresome day ended successfully, and it's finally their time to cut some slack. All of them were preparing to give themselves a time to relax and eat after the never ending day of work at the café, and it'll be the great Jo Kwon's treat.

"Is everyone finished?" Kwon asked, fixing his white pants, orange Air Jordan rubber shoes and orange shirt where a bold and white typography was written in a capital Sans-serif letters: hype up the summer. He stood straightly as he took a glance of his wristwatch. "It's already nine o' clock."

"Yeah, all men are in. The only one we're waiting for is our café's muse," Yoseob plainly replied.

"She did too much work in the kitchen, so let her fix herself," Mr. Bong stated. "It will be a waste if a lovely lady does not take an effort to fix herself."

"I agree with that, Mr. Bong. Too bad that Manager Nam is not around. He wouldn't have a chance to see our lovely muse tonight. I know he'll like it for sure," Kikwang added.

"Wae? Do you think Manager Nam likes Taeyeon-ssi?" Yoseob questioned, folding his arms.

"Duh! It's obvious, Yoseob-hyung," Junho retorted as he rolled his eyes in disbelief. "I guess you're blind and numb not to see and sense it."

"I would say Junho-hyung is saying a fact. The way he talks and interacts with Taengoo-noona, it's different. It's not a usual thing that you'll see in other workplaces," Baro commented. “I swear. Next time you should observe it too.”

Nodding his head in affirmation, Dongjun stated, "I agree. I may have stayed here for only quite some time, but I can sense and see the way how Junho-hyung and Baro-ssi do."

"Honestly, I see that too, but I guess Sir Woohyun is just friendly. I thought it's Sir Sunggyu who she's close with," Yoseob responded candidly. "No offense with this, but I think Sir Sunggyu is the one who likes her. It’s just my sensible guess, okay?"

"If both situations are true, in case, I guess there's no reason not to like Taeyeon-ssi," Kikwang said. "Come on. She's nice, beautiful and hardworking. She's not a typical woman who'd be very girly and picky with things. In fact, she's one of the women I look up to."

"Me too. She's actually my ideal type," Baro admitted.

"Sheeshh. Of course, we all know that. We all know that you like her," Junho blurted.

"But I guess the Nam brothers are miles ahead of you now," Kikwang joked. “They obviously like one girl, dude! Are you sure you’re going bang your head against them?”

“Animnida, animnida. It’s not what you think,” the youngest staff member denied, shaking his head.

'Well, well, well. If these dudes know that both assumptions are correct, they'll surely be surprised.' Kwon chuckled silently after hearing his colleagues’ opinions regarding the interaction between the Nam brothers and Kim Taeyeon. 'Yes, Sunggyu likes Taeyeon, but Woohyun does too. Amazing, right? It's a big and complicated triangle of love.'

'Nowadays, kids are so nosy.' Mr. Bong feigned a cough and nonchalantly stated, "Kids, it's not nice to speculate about such matters. Whether or not your assumptions are right, it's not pleasant to talk behind your colleague's back."

They were shocked with the old man’s words. They felt guilty realizing that what he said was indeed true. "We don't have any ill intention with that, but we're very sorry, Mr. Bong," Yoseob apologized in behalf of his colleagues. "We won't talk about it next time. Am I right, guys?"

Kikwang, Dongjun, Baro and Junho, like children scolded by their teacher, nodded obediently.

"That's a relief," Mr. Bong said, clasping his hands.

"What's taking her too long? Should I check on her?" Kwon questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Go ahead, Kwon-ssi. We're hungry now and we don't want to starve to death," Kikwang humorously answered which made the rest laugh hardly.

"Silly kids," Mr. Bong mumbled.

While the rest of the staff members were waiting outside the café, Kim Taeyeon was inside the female's locker room, fixing herself for their staff dinner.

'Thankfully, I've found it. Aigoo! I've taken so long because of this scarf.' Taeyeon heaved a sigh as she wrapped a pink scarf around her neck. 'They're probably getting impatient now because I'm taking too long.'

"Gimme a call Baby Baby," she lowly hummed sweetly while fixing her scarf. “Jigeum baro jeonhwajwo. Gimme a call Baby Baby, maeil neol gidaryeo. Saranghandago saranghandago munjarado namgyeojwo. Nal ullijima oh oh oh oh."

Momentarily, her phone rang which was placed on top of the chair at a corner.

"Oh, someone is calling," Taeyeon who just finished wrapping her scarf, picked up her phone without looking at the caller's id. ‘Who could this be?’

Upon answering the phone call, she said, "Yobosaeyo?"

"Good evening. Is this Miss Kim Taeyeon?" A voice of a man welcomed her ears.

"Nae, this Kim Taeyeon. May I ask who this is?" she politely questioned, nodding her head.

The man answered on the other line,"This is Shim Jung-ho, a bartender of Byeolbit Bar. Ma'am, I'm using Mr. Kim Sunggyu's phone right now."

“Kim—what?” Her eyes widened and her jaw literally dropped. "Come again? Whose phone is this, Mister?"

"It's Mr. Kim Sunggyu's. Since your name is the first one in his speed dials, I have decided to call you, Ma'am," he answered politely. "Are you perhaps his friend or someone closely related to him?"

"Uh... I know him." Although her mind was trying to digest the information bit by bit, she asked, trying to sound calm, "What about him? What happened to him?"

Suddenly, her chest was attacked by a pang of worry. Though it's been quite some time since Sunggyu and she talked with each other, she could not help, but to be worried about him. He's still her friend, and nothing can change that fact. No matter how hard he tries to avoid her, Taeyeon will always care for him just the way he does for her. If something bad happens to him, she'll feel very bad. Why? Again, he's her friend. There's no other reason, right? Unless she's starting to harbor a 'special' feeling towards him, isn't she?

‘But why would he make my name the first one in his speed dial’s list? Uh, never mind that.’ Hearing no immediate response from the man, Taeyeon asked seriously as her face hardened, "Malhaejuseyo. What happened to him? Please tell me, Mister."

“I just want to inform you that Mr. Kim Sunggyu is completely inebriated right now. He's drinking too much despite that. I hope you can fetch him here, so he could take a rest, Ma'am. It's getting late though."

'Wooh... I thought something bad happened. Thank God, there's none.' Taeyeon let out a sigh, putting a hand on her chest. After hearing that nothing bad happened to him, she felt relieved. But wait he's inebriated, right? She wondered why in the world a well-mannered and professional Kim Sunggyu would drink carelessly somewhere other than his house at Gangnam. Perhaps, he's going through a problem in his life. But of course, it's only him who knows the answer.

But, Taeyeon realized that she must not meddle with his life. It's not that she does not care for him, but she thinks that Sunggyu may feel worse if he sees her. She cleared and spoke up, "I think you should call Mr. Lee Kwang-soo instead. He's his secretary and friend."

"I already did, Ma'am. As a matter of fact, he's also here, but Mr. Kim Sunggyu is not listening to him. Mr. Lee Kwang-soo suggested me to call you because he thinks that Mr. Kim might stop drinking if it's you who tells him, Ma'am." the man explained.

'Me? Why me?' Taeyeon's mind was slowly gnawed by qualms. Should she come and fetch him there.... or not? She was confused. Remembering how Sunggyu avoided her few days ago, she thinks it's not a good idea to show her presence to the inebriated Sunggyu. She might not know what his problem is, but she's certain that she'll not be of help if she appears there. Yet then again, Sunggyu is in need. A man wouldn't drown himself in alcohol if he's not problematic or happy with the turn of events in his life. She thinks the former is the reason, and it only means that the pitiful man needs a shoulder to lean on to while going through such problem. Kim Sunggyu has done so many things for her, and it's time for her to pay back what she owes him.

"I understand, then," she worded. She found herself giving in when she nodded without any reluctance. "Can you tell where that place is?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I'll just send you the address right away."

"I'll be looking forward to that. Thank you," Taeyeon stated, letting out another sigh.

"You are very welcome, Ma'am. Annyeong."

"An... Annyeong," these were her words before she hung up the phone. Taeyeon bit her lower lip as she felt reluctant whether or not she'll go there. But she'll have to go with her colleagues for a dinner. They've waited for her for a couple of minutes now, so she couldn't just say that she'll not be going with them because an 'emergency' came up. Kim Taeyeon was stuck with two circumstances, she could barely between them.

"Hurry up. Go there now," she flinched upon hearing a voice on the half-opened door. It was Jo Kwon whose eyes were fixated on her. "I may be his best friend, but he needs you more than he needs me now."

"Kwon-ssi," she lowly said. She lowered her head to avoid his judging gazes. Taeyeon did not want him to see her reaction. ‘How did he know that? Did he listen to my conversation with the man earlier? Aish! Kim Taeyeon, that’s embarrassing! Kwon would think now that I am really in a weird relationship with his best friend, but am I not?’

"You don't need to be shy. Are you worrying about our staff dinner?"

‘Should I tell him? Oh, nothing is wrong if I do, right?’ She hesitantly nodded and answered, "Yes."

"Aigoo! Please don't mind it," Kwon blurted, looking at her with disbelief. "We can just have a dinner together as a whole next time, so don't think too much. What matters more is him. He needs you, so can you bear to ignore him now that he's in need?"

Kwon was right. Taeyeon came out with a realization because of her colleague's words. The staff dinner can wait for next time while the pitiful Sunggyu who's in need can't. He was there for her when she needed someone, and it will be too heartless of her if she does not extend her hand to comfort him at the time he's in need.

‘Never mind everything. All I have to think of is Sunggyu. He needs me now, and I must help him. I must be there for him now that it’s him who in need of someone right now.’ Without further ado, she grabbed her bag and phone. She did not want to waste a minute, not even a second. Now that Sunggyu is in need, it's time for her to become the superhero that will save him.

"Go! Hwaiting, Kim Taeyeon!" Kwon cheered as he watched the woman run out of the room in immediacy. ‘Hay! Kim Sunggyu, you really are a stubborn kid! What fuss are you trying to do right now? Well now, it’s not me who’s going to save you. It’s the person who your heart beats for who will.’

Kikwang who has just came upstairs, wanting to check on her, too, saw her who almost bumped him, going downstairs quickly.

"Taeyeon-ssi," he called out, but she disappeared like a quick storm. He went towards the door of female's locker room where Kwon was standing. "Hyung, where is she going? I thought we'll have a dinner, so why—"

"Just let her be," Kwon cut off the younger man's words. "It's time for the princess to save her prince."

Kim Sunggyu rented the whole place for the entire night. He drank endlessly bottles of Vodka and Tequila to ease up his depression. He did not mind how his brain was spinning like crazy and how tipsy he was. At least, he drank silently. He did not want music or any noise that will break his peace of mind. But if there's someone who had the right to make some noise, it's no one, but ONLY HIM.

There were no other people inside the spacious bar. There were a few colorful lights around the place, but majority of the area was dim because he requested it. He wanted the darkness to cover his sadness. He felt that he deserved to be trapped in the loathing world of darkness because it reflected his heart—his breaking heart that slowly turned him into a crazy and hopeless man.

"Sunggyu-ssi, please stop drinking now. You've drunk too much," Kwangsoo, his great buddy and secretary, pleaded as he took a glass from the younger man.

"I am not drunk, hyung. I am not drunk, okay?" Sunggyu's tone was groggy though it sounded very low. He grabbed the glass from his friend and poured an amount of Vodka in it before he finished it with one gulp. "This vodka is AWESOME. Massisseoyo! Try it if you want, Kwangsoo-hyung. You'll enjoy it, too."

"Sunggyu-ssi, you're drunk. Stop it, please," Kwangsoo whined, trying to take away the glass from him. "I know you're problematic over something, but drinking won't help you. Besides, you need to talk to the Taiwanese investors tomorrow for the company's upcoming expansion in Taiwan."

"Taiwan? Nae, nae, nae. I know that. I'll wake up early, so please let me do whatever I want tonight! I'll do my job tomorrow, but I'll have to enjoy my life tonight." grumbled Sunggyu who yanked away his secretary's hand. “I'm not drunk yet, okay? I'm not drunk!”

"Sunggyu-ssi, please listen to me," his secretary literally begged, trying to snatch away the glass and bottle of Vodka from the younger man. “I know you’re going through a personal problem, but you know you can always tell me whatever you want to tell me. I understand how you feel, so please don’t use alcohol as an escapade.”

“You don’t... You don’t understand,” the younger man said weakly as he softly tittered. “You wouldn’t understand how I feel, hyung. You wouldn’t.” He smiled bitterly before he started leaning his head against the counter.

“Sunggyu,” Kwangsoo mumbled.

“No, you wouldn’t understand.” Sunggyu closed his eyes tightly, slowly savoring the pain that not even a glass of Vodka or Tequila can wash away. “No one will understand me.”

“Sunggyu-ssi, let’s go home now. Please don’t sleep there,” Kwangsoo said, repetitively patting the drunken man who’s starting to sleep. “Let’s just talk about your problem at home, so stand up now and we’ll go home. Come on, Kim Sunggyu.”

The bartender who paused from what he’s doing went towards the dumbfounded Lee Kwangsoo. He mumbled, “It seems that Mr. Kim is going through a big problem. Is he perhaps broken-hearted or something?”

“Well, you are right,” Kwangsoo nodded, letting out a frustrated sigh. “You are now seeing a man who’s broken by that little thing called LOVE. Aigoo! Aigoo! When is she coming? The reason why this kid is depressed should be the one who’ll settle this.” He shook his head thrice, watching how his friend took a nap.

“Waeyo, Mr. Lee? Is Ms. Kim Taeyeon his girlfriend or wife?” the bartender curiously asked, tapping the six-footer man who was in his office suit.

“Sshh! Sunggyu-ssi might hear us, Mr. Shim,” the tall man muttered, placing his right index finger near his lips. “Not yet. Stop mentioning something or we’ll both be dead. He doesn’t know that you’ve called her. Remember that I asked you to call Ms. Kim at the restroom, so he wouldn’t hear you?”

“Ah, nae, nae. Algesseumnida, Mr. Lee. I am sorry.” the guy apologized, nodding his head in comprehension.

“Anyway, let’s wait for her to come and tame this stubborn kid,” Kwangsoo said, exhaling a deep breath. “We’ll just have to wait for—”

 

And soon, someone’s presence became visible before their eyes.

 

“Kwangsoo-ssi,” a voice of a woman surprised both Kwangsoo and the bartender who were standing a distance away from the unconscious man.

“Finally.” Kwangsoo’s eyes gleamed when he realized who the woman in a white trench coat, pink scarf, black pants and white rubber shoes was. It was Kim Taeyeon, the angel who will save the despaired Kim Sunggyu from completely sinking on the slump he created on his own. ‘Thank God that the princess has arrived. Juseyo, please save this friend of mine from burying himself in his own grave. I beg you, Taeyeon-ssi.’

“What happened to him?” she questioned as she went towards the unconscious man. She attempted to wake him up for four times, but he did not respond. “Sunggyu-ssi, wake up. Wake up.”

“To be precise, he drank five bottles of Vodka and six bottles of Tequila,” Kwangsoo stated, pointing the empty bottles of liquors from a distance. ‘When heartbreak attacks, here comes the alcohol serving as the escapade from pain. Aigoo! Sunggyu is such a hopeless romantic guy!’

“Omo! Why? Why did he drown himself in alcohol?” Taeyeon asked worriedly, shrugging the unresponsive drunken man. “Sunggyu-ssi, wake up. Sunggyu-ssi.”

Regaining a part of consciousness, he grunted without opening his eyes, "Uhh... Who are you? Leave me alone because I want to sleep."

"Sunggyu-ssi, this is not a place for you to sleep, so stand up now and Kwangsoo-ssi will take you home," she calmly requested.

"Ani... Whoever you are, please leave me alone. I'm not in the mood for sermons," Sunggyu answered in his tipsy voice. "You go home. It's getting late, Agassi." He gently yanked away the woman's hands which were forcing him to stand up.

Quite pissed off with the man's stubbornness, Taeyeon hissed, "Kim Taeyeon. I am Kim Taeyeon. Stand up now before I use force, Kim Sunggyu-ssi. If you have any problem, I'm willing to listen, even Kwangsoo-ssi will...but not here. Let us take you home first."

'Kim Taeyeon?' Though in a drunken state, Sunggyu was surprised to hear such name. The name of the woman who's driving him insane... the woman who is the sole reason why he's damning himself with alcohol, it's Kim Taeyeon. It's no one else, but Kim Taeyeon.

Taeyeon flinched when she heard the man laughing. The bartender and his secretary were surprised, too. Probably, they thought that he’s going nuts, did they?

He lifted his head and let his eyes meet the gazes of the woman who was standing beside him. His vision might have become blurry due to the effect of alcohol, but he could confirm it himself that he's seeing Kim Taeyeon before his eyes. It was her who his eyes were seeing. It’s damn the woman who he’s going crazy over. "Kim Taeyeon-ssi, why are you here?"

She backed away a little as she felt nervous seeing how serious he was. His hair was messy. Some of the buttons of his dress shirt were undone and his necktie was untied. He looked calm yet something about his gaze was breathtaking.

Coming up with a sensible answer, she answered nervously, "I am... I am... here because someone informed me that you're here, completely... drunk."

"Really?" Without losing his fixated gaze on her, he commanded, "Kwangsoo-hyung and Shim Jungho-ssi, can you please leave the two of us for a while?"

"Yay... It seems that the intense confrontation is about to start," the bartender whispered, nudging Lee Kwangsoo's elbow. “Omona, what should we do?”

"Sorry, Taeyeon-ssi," Kwangsoo mouthed before he and the bartender went outside instantly.

 

Silence. The atmosphere was silent and it gave her chills inside her spine. Sunggyu looked at her as if she’s a criminal. His gazes locked her as if he’s trapping and suffocating her. He’s trapping and suffocating her inside his own world.

 

After hearing the door shut, Taeyeon broke the icy atmosphere saying, "Sunggyu-ssi, why are you being like this? You know if you have any... problem, you... may tell me, so that I can help... and understand you."

"Understand and help me?" he scoffed before he stood up and grabbed his seventh bottle of Tequila from the liquor shelves. He laughed and retorted back, "I didn't know that you can be funny at rare times. Did you say that you want to understand and help me? Sorry. But you wouldn't. Never a person like you will understand me."

"It's not funny. I am serious here." Taeyeon stood naively and watched how he went back to his seat after grabbing another bottle to drink. 'What is his problem? This is not the Kim Sunggyu I know.'

"I am serious, too. I find your statement funny, seriously. Ms. Kim, you may go home now. I apologize if you were disturbed by whoever called you," Sunggyu stated nonchalantly, pouring an amount of Tequila in his glass. "I am drinking right now because I wanna have some fun. I don't have any problem, so leave me alone, I beg you. Or you may have a glass if you want before you leave as a kind consolation for coming here." He laughed crazily as if her existence was nothing but a ty crap. It’s a ty crap that chokes him to his own death.

"You're lying. Cut the chase. Tell me what's going on with you," she muttered, not mollified with his nonsensical words. ‘Geumanhae! Stop it, Sunggyu-ssi. Tell me what’s wrong, so that I can help you.’

“Oh, you do not seem to like my good offer of having at least a glass of Tequila. I am being a good man here, but you refuse it.” Ignoring what she said, Sunggyu continued drinking as if he’s in his own world. "Well anyway, it's not appropriate for a woman like you to stay near an inebriated man or you'll regret it. Don't tell me that I did not warn you." His tone was breathy, purposely intimidating the woman.

"Sunggyu-ssi," she called out for his name as her fists curled up. She was deeply offended by his words. Taeyeon felt like she wanted to burst, but she chose to stay calm because outraging will not be of help. "Why are you being like this?"

"Why am I being like this?" Sunggyu muttered as he drank the alcohol in his glass. "I have always been like this—pathetic and hopeless. Again, you wouldn't understand. Never will you. Just go home now and take a rest. I'll ask Kwangsoo-ssi to take you home."

"Stop drinking. You... you know that I'm still your friend... If you want to tell me how you feel, you—"

"Geumanhae," the man muttered. "Leave now and don't meddle with my life. Let's just say I have my own life and you have yours too, so let's mind our business, eo?"

"Sunggyu-ssi, I care for you... because I am your friend, right? Stop drinking now and go—"

"I don't want to get angry towards you, so please go home now,” he hissed in annoyance.

"Sunggyu-ssi."

"Stop it! Geuman duseyo!" he yelled in frustration as he closed his eyes. He slammed the glass against the counter. “I don’t want to hear it! I don’t want to hear it!”

"Sunggyu-ssi, don't be like this,” she begged humbly.

‘Leave! Leave me alone!’ Suppressing the anger inside his chest, he stated coldly, "Go home. Leave me alone, Kim Taeyeon-ssi."

"But—"

"Kim Taeyeon-ssi, didn't you hear me?"

It was definitely not the Kim Sunggyu she knew. The man who's very gentle and kind like an angel, what she's seeing was the complete opposite. It was a broken and frustrated man who's pathetically drowning himself in alcohol.

She was shocked and startled with his outrage. "Sunggyu-ssi, please calm down. Stop drinking and go home now." Although anxious, she quickly grabbed the glass from him.

"!" he yelled, shooting her a glare.

"Sunggyu." Taeyeon was startled once again when he heard the curse from his mouth. It's the first time she ever heard him cursing. She never knew that there are a lot of things she must discover about Kim Sunggyu. It only proved that he's not just an angel with wings, but a man with some flaws, too, just like an ordinary human.

"DAMN!" Sunggyu became more frustrated with her insistence. He stood up and snatched back his glass from her. "GO HOME! DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME? I SAID GO HOME! GO HOME NOW! ARE YOU DEAF, KIM TAEYEON-SSI?”

She flinched once again, but she forced to remain calm. If she wouldn’t, the man might become more aggressive. "Please calm down. I care for you that's why—"

"CARE? SINCE WHEN DID YOU START CARING FOR ME?" Sunggyu threw away the glass at the corner. The loud sound of the broken glass scared Taeyeon who was in the verge of tears. "DAEDAP HARAGO! SINCE WHEN DID YOU START CARING FOR ME?" He held her shoulders tightly and shot her a scorching and deadly stare.

"Sunggyu, malhajima. Please don't say that," she pleaded weakly. “Don’t say that.”

"WAEYO? I AM ASKING YOU! SINCE WHEN DID YOU START CARING FOR ME? YOU NEVER CARED ABOUT ME, SO WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME NOW THAT YOU CARE FOR ME?" The man spat out angrily as he shook her hardly. "YOU SAY THAT YOU WANT TO UNDERSTAND ME, BUT YOU REALLY DON'T MEAN IT! DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE YOU? THAT'S A CRAP! YOU DON'T REALLY CARE FOR ME AND I KNOW IT! I KNOW IT! STOP SAYING THINGS YOU DON'T MEAN!"

Tears welled up her eyes seeing the anger reflecting in his eyes. She wondered why he's acting unusually different from his real self. She wondered why Kim Sunggyu would act recklessly and rudely. Was it because he's drunk? Or was it of deeper reason?

"Sunggyu-ssi, mianhae. Miahamnida," she stuttered weakly, biting her lower lip to suppress the sound of cry to escape from her lips. "Mianhamnida. Miahamnida. I am sorry for everything."

 

Silence. Another round of silence filled the room after the intense conversation.

 

Broken and guilty. Seeing how tears were falling from her eyes, Sunggyu felt guilty. He felt guilty for showing the 'broken' him in front of her. The real reason why he wanted her to leave was not because he didn't want to see her, but rather he didn't want her to see his hopeless and pathetic self caused by his love for her. She didn't deserve to see the horrible side of him. It will break his pride more if she does, but unfortunately, he raved like a monster in front of the woman he loves. He's a big damn wretch for what he did. He wanted to punch himself for venting his anger towards her. Taeyeon is not at fault for anything. It's not her who created the hell for him, but it's him who created the hell that suffocates him like crazy to death.

'Mianhae. Mianhaeyo.' He deeply looked into her anxious eyes. Sunggyu felt more broken. He felt more broken for being a jerk towards her. It makes him think that he doesn't really deserve a part of her love. Seeing how she cried, he also found his eyes b with tears. Was that how love turned him to be? Until when does he have to be pathetic in front of the woman he loves?

"Go home now," Breaking the silence, Sunggyu said as he gently released her from his grip. He looked away from her and suppressed the tears falling from his eyes. "I don't want you to see the horrible me, so please go home now. You see now that I am a monster. Stay away from me."

‘Anio! Anio! I won’t leave you. I won’t leave you now that you’re like this.’ She shook her head and answered, "Sunggyu-ssi, I want to help you with your problem. Let's talk about it. I'm willing to listen to you."

'How? How could you understand that the reason why I am being like this is you? Tell me!' Sunggyu bowed his head and said, "I apologize for my inappropriate action. I am all right, and I'll be going home soon." He slowly backed away from her.

"No," she refused firmly as she wiped the tears falling down from her eyes. "No, I will not leave you alone. You are never a monster, Sunggyu. You are an angel, my angel."

He was frozen upon hearing such words. Sunggyu looked at her with surprise. Why in the world would she insist staying by his side after everything he spat out in front of her face? She must hate him. But she didn't. A part of him told him that it may be pity. She might have pitied him for his hopelessness. Yet he's not in the mood to deal with pity. He does not need someone's pity. PERIOD.

"Angel? Please don't joke around. If it's all about pity, I don't need it. Just forget about everything that I said and did tonight and go home now, I beg you," he sternly pleaded. 'I beg you, Taeyeon-ssi. I don't want you to see how horrible I am. You wouldn't understand me. You wouldn't understand my feelings.'

Taeyeon sincerely insisted, "No, it's not about pity, Kim Sunggyu. This time I mean it. I am here because I—"

"Leave now, please. Go home."

"Sunggyu-ssi, I—"

 

Collapsed.

 

Her words were halted when Sunggyu collapsed. Thankfully, she was able to catch him on her shoulders.

"Sunggyu-ssi. Sunggyu-ssi," she mumbled, patting his back repetitively. "Sunggyu-ssi!"

It was twelve o’ clock when Kwangsoo and Taeyeon reached Sunggyu’s apartment. Bringing Sunggyu inside the house, they carefully supported him on their shoulders to prevent his limp body from falling.

"Are you sure that you'll be the one who'll take care of Director Kim?" Kwangsoo asked while assisting Taeyeon in bringing Sunggyu inside his room.

"Yes, Kwangsoo-ssi. You still have to settle some matters tomorrow, right?" Taeyeon assured as both she and Kwangsoo laid the unconscious man on the bed.

"Taeyeon-ssi, I know that I've caused too much inconvenience to you. I feel guilty that I requested Mr. Shim to call you. Well about earlier, I didn't mean to eavesdrop with your conversation with him, but I heard him yelling at you," Kwangsoo said, bowing his head. "I am very sorry and thank you for helping me with Director Kim. I owe you a lot."

"No, it's okay. You know drunken men usually go out of control. Perhaps, he was pissed off that I insisted him to go home and stop drinking," she calmly replied, giving him a smile. "It's not my first time to experience such thing. Back then, a male friend of mine yelled at me for insisting him to go home since he's completely drunk. Same goes with Sunggyu-ssi. I understand him, so no worries with that."

"He's not usually like that. It's actually his first time to become like a mad man," Kwangsoo clarified. "I swear. It’s just that he’s going through a hard time. I hope you will understand him, Taeyeon-ssi.”

"I know. Please don't take it seriously. I understand Sunggyu-ssi. Now that he's sick, I'll take ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter