37: Forgotten

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Forgotten

[Song of the Day: Akdong Musician (AKMU) - Time and Fallen Leaves]

"Yes, I will wait for samcheon here," she worded as she took a deep breath. Her eyes wondered around the living room of the house.

It has been months since the last time she felt the cold and clean air of Jeonju. Why she was there, it's solely because of his father’s request. She was requested to hand her uncle, Lee Bongdo, an envelope with whatever documents she did not mind to look at.

The house was old. The smell of the mahogany where it was made was evident and only a few areas, particularly the kitchen walls, were cemented. There were few picture frames hanging on the wall, with some of them already sepia, probably because of their oldness.

The Lee's residence is ten streets away from their house at Jeonju. Unlike the street where their house stands erect, there are only few houses nearby. As she can recall from earlier, there are at least ten houses built in that street. Perhaps, it's because the houses stand erect against a low-land area, so only few families took a risk to have their homes built there.

"Would you like some tea or food, Taeyeon-eonni?" the fifteen year old Lee Solji asked politely as a shy smile was crept on her face.

"A cup of water will do," the older woman answered, who crossed her fingers and brought them on her lap. "Thank you, Solji-dongsaeng."

"You are very welcome, Taeyeon-eonni. I will just call Appa upstairs and give you a cup of water right away," the child assured.

Seeing how Taeyeon nodded and smiled, Solji left without further ado.

The picture frame positioned in the middle of the other frames caught her eyes. It showed a photo of a family, more of Bongdo and his wife, Jung Saeyi on the side while the young Solji was standing between her parents. She smiled, feeling moved by the beautiful photo where smiles were bannered on their faces. Taeyeon could see how her uncle and aunt love their dear child. Despite the problems they face, the couple continues to strive hardly for her.

"So cute," she whispered as her eyes were fixated on the picture.

Just like how she is lucky to have Gongjoo and Ilbong as her parents, Solji is one lucky child. Her father works as a carpenter while her mother works at a café in Gangnam since May, but the income the couple both earn are not enough to pay their family's expenses which include the medicine maintenance of Saeyi's father, her tuition fee, monthly bills and even existing debts.

Just months ago, Bongdo tried his best to pay her tuitions fee wherein fact Ilbong was the one who lent her some money who then borrowed it from the bastard Baek Sunghyun who's currently behind the cold iron bars of prison. The borrowed money then is being paid by Taeyeon, and she has paid at least one-fourth including the interest rate exactly eight days ago.

Despite being involved with her uncle's financial issue, she's thankful to him and his wife for taking care of her during her childhood times, when her parents temporarily left her in their care. The only odd thing is she cannot remember anything, not even the appearance of the house where they lived. Few years ago, her mother told her that house was already abandoned by the couple. If given a chance, she will visit that house to bring back the lost memories of the old times.

"Taeyeon-ah," a man in his late fifties appeared out of nowhere. He was in a plaid polo shirt, khaki pants and white slippers.

"Bongdo-samcheon, annyeong hasimnikka," the young woman said, standing up from her seat to give him a ninety-degree bow.

"You have grown so big now, aigoo!" The old man expressed in amazement, giving his niece a hug. "You have grown as a beautiful lady, Taeyeon-ah." He released her from the a hug and gestured her to sit down before he sat across her.

"That is too much of a compliment, but thank you, samcheon," Taeyeon shyly said as she sat down on the couch.

"You are busy person as what Ilbong-hyung told me. So what brings you here, Taeyeon-ah?" the man asked.

"This," she answered, handing him a white envelope. "Appa told me to hand you this."

"Do you know what is inside this envelope?" Bongdo curiously asked, examining the envelope outside.

"I do not know, samcheon. I did not try to peek what's inside because it's something between you and Appa should only know," Taeyeon responded.

"Okay then. I'll just take a look at it inside later," the old man nodded, holding the envelope tightly.

Soon, Solji entered the scene when she placed a cup of water and pitcher on top of the glass table in the middle of the couches.

"I am sorry if it took long, Taeyeon-eonni. I had to run an errand for Eomma who texted me to do something," Solji apologized, bowing her head.

"No, it is all right. No worries with that, Solji-dongsaeng," Taeyeon guaranteed.

"By the way, have you eaten breakfast, Taeyeon-ah?" Bongdok asked.

"Yes, samcheon. About five hours ago, I guess," she politely answered.

"Since it's eleven already, would you like to join us for lunch, Taeyeon-eonni?" Solji offered, sitting next to her father.

"Solji is right. Have a lunch here with us. You have gone a long way from Seoul to Jeonju, so you must be tired," Bongdo agreed as he stifled a smile on his face.

Nodding and smiling back, Taeyeon responded, "Yes, samcheon. It has been years since I have visited you, so I think it's a chance for us to talk while having lunch, right?"

"Okay. I guess it's time for me to show off some cooking skills," Solji beamed.

"Are you sure with that? You know... I can cook for us, Solji," Taeyeon said dubiously.

"Don't worry about Solji. She's very good in cooking despite her young age. Besides, you're a visitor, so don't bother yourself," Bongdo guaranteed. "I will help her with that. I swear you'll forget your name once you taste the food Chef Lee Bongdo and Chef Lee Solji cooked!"

"Really, samcheon?" Taeyeon questioned in amusement.

"Appa is right. We'll let you taste our specialties because you are a special visitor," Solji answered.

"Well then, I am looking forward to it, Chefs Lee Bongdo and Lee Solji," Taeyeon smiled. "Hwaiting!"

"So how's it? Did you like any of those foods we cooked, Taeyeon-eonni?" Solji curiously questioned, scrutinizing the older woman's reaction while she's eating.

"Ummm," Taeyeon mumbled, finishing the food inside . "No, that's not it. Not any of them."

"Huh? What do you mean?" Bongdo asked in confusion.

Trying not to look upset, Solji asked, "Do you mean you did not like any of them?"

"Animnida, that's not it, Solji," Taeyeon answered as she gestured 'no'. "What I'm trying to say is that liking any of them is not just that."

"Huh? I don't understand," Bongdo stated.

"I am not finished yet, samcheon," Taeyeon said as she took another bite of spring rolls on her plate using red chopsticks. "I did not just like any of them, but..."

"But what?" the old man and his daughter nervously asked, apparently anticipating for her words.

"But... I," Taeyeon said as her lips curved a big smile. "But I love all of them! This spring roll, that beef stew, that kimchi, that bean stew, that spare ribs, everything is seriously delicious! I feel like I'm in a feast!" She expressed whilst pointing the foods one by one like an innocent child.

"Hooh! We thought you did not like it! You scared the hell out of us," Bongdo muttered as he sighed.

"Assa! Taeyeon-eonni loved the foods we've cooked," the young Solji happily said, clapping her hands.

"Of course, I did. What's my name again? Oh, where do I live?" Taeyeon wittily said, feigning an amnesiac act. "I guess I have forgotten everything now."

"You're so funny," Bongdo laughed. "The Taeyeon I know back then is a quiet-type of person. Now, I am seeing a very beautiful yet witty woman."

"Aww, Appa. Stop flattering her otherwise Taeng-eonni will plan to live here," Solji joked. "But I don't mind it though. I want to have a beautiful big sister like her."

"Sorry about that, but my lovely baby brother, Sungjong needs me badly. If I leave him, he'll definitely go nuts," the older woman humorously stated while eating a spoonful of rice. "By the way, where is Aunt Saeyi?"

"Saeyi is at Seoul. She's working at a coffee shop at Gangnam," Bongdo answered.

"I see. It must be very hard to go back and forth from Seoul to Jeonju every day," Taeyeon commented. "I work at a café, actually, but it's at Cheonggu-dong. I live at Myeongdong, so it's not that inconvenient for me."

"No, she only goes here in Jeonju during day-offs because she rents an apartment there at Seoul. So how about your work? You're here at Jeonju, so you did take an absence, didn't you?" Bongdo asked. "Won't your boss be angry?"

"Samcheon, it's my off today and I'll be going back to Seoul tomorrow. Well, I gave my boss who's now at Hongkong, a call that I'll be leaving for Jeonju," she explained. "His stay there was extended for another one week, so he'll be busy. At first, he was only scheduled to stay there for one week, but it was extended, and now it's extended again. Well, he's a very nice and considerate person, so no worries."

"Really? How's he like? Is he good-looking, rich or something?" Solji curiously asked like a fangirl.

"Ya, Solji-ah! You're still young to think about boys, arasseo?" Bongdo muttered, giving his daughter a light hit on her left shoulder. "You're not allowed to have a boyfriend yet!"

"Eh, I'm just curious, Appa! It's not like I'll have a boyfriend because I'm too drained with school stuff," the fifteen year old child explained. "I am just curious who he is. Taeyeon-eonni is lucky to have him as his boss if he's very kind and considerate."

"About that, yes, he is. He is good-looking, considerate, kind, generous and rich," Taeyeon admitted. 'If you would just know how rich he is.'

"Woah! You're lucky then to have him as your boss. Who's he? Is he from the Jang clan, Kim clan, Lee clan or perhaps, from the famous and powerful Nam?"

'Woah. This child knows a lot, huh. No wonder Eomma told me that she's intelligent. Yes, Lee Solji. That man is from Nam clan.' She forced a plain reaction on her face and answered, "Yes, he is from one of those clans you have mentioned."

"Really? Why is he only taking over a café? Shouldn't he be working in his family's company?" the child asked.

"Well, I don't know much about that, but as far as I know, the café serves as his training ground," Taeyeon answered.

The old man, too, became curious and questioned, "Really? Is that true? Who's he then? Don't tell me he's from..." He paused and let out a sigh. 'From the.... It could possible be... Andwae..'

'Is Samcheon okay? Did I say something wrong?' Taeyeon was surprised to see the bland reaction on her uncle's face. She wondered what he's supposed to say. It may be the reason why the happy expression he had earlier was erased without a trace. "Samcheon, is there something wrong? Gwaechanhayo?"

'No, that's not it. That's impossible.'Bongdo shook his head and assured, "No, there isn't something wrong with me."

"Appa, are you sure? You look sick," Solji asked.

'Forget about it, Bongdo.' Bongdo nodded and smiled. "Of course, I am fine. I am just happy that our Taeng is working with a very kind and considerate boss. Now, tell us. Taeyeon-ah, who is he?"

"I'll just tell you who he is next time, samcheon. Don't worry about me. I am doing well with work and I am properly-compensated," Taeyeon replied thriftily.

"Wow! You are very lucky to have him as your boss, Taeng-eonni. That's a jackpot," Solji expressed. "If you wouldn't want to tell us who he is, what's the name of your café?"

"It is..." the older woman murmured and smiled wittily. "It is a secret."

"Secret? Do you mean that the name of the café is 'secret'?" Bongdo innocently wondered. "Secret Café? That sounds odd."

"Ani, appa! Of course, she meant that 'it's a secret', she wouldn't want to reveal it," the child blurted. "Aish! Taeng-eonni, why are you so secretive? You don't want to reveal your boss' name and even where you are working. I should start becoming an FBI then."

"For thrill and suspense, I guess," Taeyeon joked. "FBI? Go on. But I'm very good in hiding, Solji."

"Well now, I remember the things Eomma told me about you. She told me when you were young, you'd be a mysterious-type of child because you keep things by yourself," Solji described.

"Ooh, yeah, that's my nature," the older woman said. "About my childhood, what else did Aunt Saeyi tell you?"

The young Solji narrated, "Not too much of stories, but all of them purely described how secretive you are. Even the friends or acquaintances you encountered, you were very quiet and reserved to them. You even had a very close friend whom you did not disclose things about yourself, but that did not hinder your friendship with that kid."

"Really? I did?" Taeyeon wondered with her eyes narrowing and forehead wrinkling in confusion. "I don't think I remember having a close friend before. Oh, samcheon, do you remember who Aunt Saeyi told our Solji? I'm curious."

'Things you do not know won't hurt you, Taeyeon-ah.' Bongdo became silent upon hearing her question. His lips pressed a thin line. He was confused whether or not to tell his niece what he knows. But his mind stopped him and told him to act coolly as if he did not know anything. "Anio, anio. I don't know anything about that. You're no different from a book that's difficult to read, frankly speaking."

"But Taeyeon-eonni lived with you during those years. Don't you really know anything, Appa?" Solji questioned. "Something is fishy with everything and I can feel it."

"She's right, samcheon. Now, I am curious of what happened before. I don't even remember any of my friends back during those times. Ah, even where we lived!" Taeyeon eagerly stated. "Why did I live there with you? I never had the chance to ask Eomma and Appa about it because I'm always busy with work. Honestly, I don't know, but I feel like I have forgotten a lot of things from before. Why is that so? It's really something fishy."

"Really, Taeng-eonni? That must feel horrible," Solji sympathetically expressed. "That's weird. How long have you been experiencing it?"

"Quite, yes, but not hundred percent. But of course, anyone who would experience a similar situation will feel the same or worse than I do," the older woman candidly expressed. "I've been experiencing this since childhood, Solji. Ah, now I feel very curious of those times, very very curious."

'Eotteokhae?' Seeing the eagerness in his niece's eyes, he felt a pang of guilt inside his heart. The old man cleared his throat and asked, "Do you really want to know it?"

Without any reluctance, his niece answered, "Of course, samcheon. I will be very pleased to know everything as possible. I've never felt this kind of curiosity before."

'Anio. I don't think I can.' He looked away from her and plainly said, "You'll remember those things soon. Forgetting is a part of aging, so it's natural to experience such thing."

"Aigoo, appa! She's only twenty-six, and not fifty, sixty, seventy or something! It may be amnesia, but not Alzheimer's!" Solji muttered in disbelief. "Are you keeping something from us? And ah! Eomma did not tell me anything about our old house."

"Annesia? Oh, come on! That's impossible! Why would that happen?" Bongdo unconfortably retorted back. "You know that Taeyeon is a healthy woman and the old house, forget about it. You weren't born yet during those times."

"Who knows if she encountered an accident or something before? Eonni is too young to forget such memories unless she got an amnesia," Solji inferred sensibly. "Or something related about brain... You know brain disorders that make a person forget everything."

"Ya, Solji-ah! Stop saying such things. Your eonni is healthy. It may just be stress-related, so stop making an inference that she got an amnesia or whatever you say," Bongdo muttered as he rolled his eyes. "You watch too much of dramas that's why you blabber such things. You are creeping Taeyeon out. She's still our visitor, arasseo?"

"Hmm... I guess Bongdo-samcheon is right. It may be caused by stress since I've been exposed to too much work," Taeyeon calmly said. 'Amnesia? Hell, come on. That's impossible. Why would I have that? Tsh.'

"Okay, okay. Joesonghamnida," Solji apologized, bowing her head. 'But why do I feel like Appa is hiding something? Gonna use my FBI instincts to discover whether or not he is hiding something.'

"Na gwaechanseumnikka," Taeyeon assured. "I don't mind them. You've got a point although that is impossible. I have always been healthy, even during the times I worked as a stuntwoman, so I don't think that's possible."

"Anyway, Taeyeon, are you planning to stay here for a while or are you leaving after lunch," her uncle asked, diverting the topic. '

"I am sorry to say, but, yes, I'll be leaving soon because I will have to go back to Seoul by ten in the evening," she answered.

"Are you sure with that?" Bongdo asked. 'But should I or should I not tell her? Hayy. Eotteokhae?'

"Yes, samcheon," Taeyeon assented, nodding in affirmation.

"Okay. I'll just get some things upstairs. Please give them to Aunt Gongjoo, Uncle Ilbong and Sungjong-oppa and of course, there's something for you too. They are from Eomma and she prepared them before in case you visit here," Solji said as she stood up from her seat and left the dining room. 'Well, it may not be now, but I'll figure it out someday—that secret! I'll help Eonni find out everything.'

Soon, a moment of silence gnawed the atmosphere in the dining room. The sound of the utensils was the only one audible in the ears.

'Anio! Do the right thing, Lee Bongdo.' Bongdo let out a sigh before he gently broke the silence, "Taeyeon-ah."

"What is it, Bongdo-samcheon?" she politely asked as she looked at him.

"I hope you were not offended with whatever my daughter said earlier," he said.

She calmly responded, stifling a smile, "Animnida, animnida. I am fine, Bongdo-samcheon. She got a point although her inference is quite peculiar."

"Taeyeon-ah, I will... I will give you something before you leave," Bongdo said as he let his eyes meet his niece's gazes. 'Fine. I will just do the right thing.'

"Is that for Eomma, Appa and Sungjong too, samcheon?" she asked plainly.

'Animnida, Taeyeon-ssi. It's not for them, it's for you. Something that will open the truth.' He shook his head twice and said, "Anio, it's for you. It's for you, Taeyeon-ssi."

Afterwards, Taeyeon raised another question, "Really? Um, I understand. What is it, samcheon?"

"You'll know it later, Taeng. Keep on eating and finish your food if you want to know it," Bongdo said, gesturing her to continue eating. 'I am sorry, Taeyeon. Now, I guess it's the time for you to start finding what's lost.'

"Keys?" Taeyeon murmured, with her fingers wringling a set of keys that her uncle gave her exactly four hours ago. "What should I do with these? Are these keys to a house or something?"

[~]

"Taeyeon-ah, here," Bongdo said, handing her a set of keys he brought out from a cabinet. "You should have them."

"Keys? What should I do with these keys? Are they keys to a house, car or something?" she curiously asked as she carefully studied the keys on her hold.

"Those keys," the old man murmured with an unreadable reaction forming on his face. "Those keys will give you the fragments of what you should know."

"Fragments of what I should know?" Taeyeon questioned in puzzlement. She raised an eyebrow and moved her lips inwardly. "I don't understand, Bongdo-samcheon."

"You may not understand it right now, but you'll soon do. Once found, it will crawl like a nightmare," the man vaguely worded. "A nightmare that will soon end upon regaining consciousness. Just strengthen yourself."

"Nigh—nightmare what?" she spat out in disbelief and tittered. "Samcheon, why are you saying such things? I don't understand you. Why are you saying creepy things all of a sudden? That's weird. Are you serious?"

"Taeyeon-ah, I am serious. I may appear crazy with the words I am saying right now, but you will understand everything at the right time," Bongdo explained. "It will be you who will discover it yourself, Taeyeon-ah."

"Is this about what Solji told me? You know... I don't think that's possible, so that's no big deal," she murmured.

"No, that is not it. I am serious, Taeyeon. Believe me. You will soon understand what I am talking about," he firmly insisted.

"What your telling me is quite weirder with what Solji said earlier. Tell me, samcheon. Is there something you are keeping from me?" Taeyeon questioned with her tone searching for an answer. "Why do I feel like there is? Does Aunt Saeyi know about this too?"

"Eop... Eopseumnida. Eopseumnida. There isn't something I am... keeping from you," he denied. "I just want you... you to remember everything."

"Really, samcheon? But why are you saying something I don't understand? Malhaejuseyo. Tell me so that I can understand," her tone was literally pleading her uncle to explain everything to her. His words appeared like a foggy vision that is full of obscurities. "And everything? What everything?"

"Whether or not I am keeping something from you, please.... Please promise me that you will be strong. You will be strong no matter what happens. If you want to know the answer to your question, look at carefully what I've given you. It's you, yourself who will answer it."

"Samcheon," she said in a wondering tone.

"Are you ready, Taeyeon?"

"Ready for what?"

"To discover the things you do not know," he answered vaguely."If you are ready, it's time for you to unlock the things you do not know,” he stated.

[~]

"Why wouldn't he tell me what's going on? He did not tell me where I should use these keys," she murmured, pouting her lips like a child. "Yet he did tell me to look at what he gave me carefully and it's me who'll answer my questions. It means to say that the answer is..."

Her eyes widened as she gaped widely. She held the keys tightly and said, "...is in the keys. The answer can be found in one of the keys. That's it!"

She hurriedly studied the keys carefully and she soon found four numbers carved against one of the key's surface.

'1004. What does this mean?'Taeyeon caressed the metallic surface with her left thumb. "1004. In Korean, it means.... angel. This is it! But what does this 'angel' mean? If it's angel, then does it refer to—"

[~]

"Taeyeon-ah, are you okay now? Do you feel better now?" a woman in her thirties asked, tucking strands of hair, behind the child who was laying on the bed. "Oh wait! I'll just call the doctor."

 

 

Stop. A soft touch stopped her from leaving. Her daughter touched her left hand although her eyes were straightly looking forward as if she was numbed and blinded.

 

 

After fifty-eight hours of unconsciousness, finally, the child woke up from deep slumber. She was in a hospital gown, bandages covered her knees, and intravenous needles were penetrated against the pale skin of her hands. She looked very weak. She looked very weak as if her soul was blown away her body.

"Taeyeon-ah, this is your Eomma. Can you hear me? You have passed out fifty-eight hours ago. Your brother was the one who saved you."

It's all thanks to her brother who found her in the middle of the street were she laid unconscious with blood covering her hands and knees and performed a cardiopulmonary resuscitation that she's alive, otherwise, her family would have mourned over her lifeless body inside a coffin and worse, during her twelfth birthday.

What happened to her was very surprising. Among all of the days of the year, they wondered why it happened during her birthday.

"Taeyeon-ah, tell me. Are you pained anywhere? Are you okay now?"

Thankfully, she woke up after long hours under comatose state. The tragedy which almost attacked them was prevented because she's alive, breathing, with eyes opened although was zippered as if something attacked from speaking. She was literally like a porcelain statue which may break into pieces anytime.

"Taeyeon-ah, by the way, your father, uncle, aunt and brother went out to grab some food. Are you feeling hungry now? Dr. Hwang told me that once you wake up, you'll soon be fine. Now that you're awake, are you feeling better?" the woman asked, fixing her daughter's hair. Her eyes were b with tears, but she suppressed them from falling.

"Also, my daughter, your Aunt Saeyi, Sungjong and I visited your 'angel'. It's very big and beautiful now. Do you remember where it is? You can see it on Saeyi and Bongdo's old house."

Her daughter remained silent. Her eyes were still fixated forward as if she was numbed and her mind was unconscious. Gongjoo bit her lower lip as she watched her weak daughter on the bed. She wanted to ease the pain that she's feeling. She wanted to wash away the sufferings of her daughter, but she couldn't. Gongjoo could not do anything, but to watch her helplessly with both her eyes opened. As a mother, she felt hurt, but she could not do anything... anything that will help Taeyeon.

"Taeyeon," she murmured and paused. "Taeyeon, my daughter."

Hearing no response, she sighed and said, "I hope you come back as the Taeyeon we have. We want the Taeyeon who might be reserved at some times, but the child who never forgets to make us smile. Ya, ireona! Kim Taeyeon, wake up! Your 'angel' is waiting for you."

The child slowly moved her head to meet her mother's gazes. With her quivering lips, she whispered, "Eomma."

"Jebal, jebal." She held her daughter's hands tightly and placed them against her chest. "I love you, Taeyeon. Please come back as the daughter I used to have."

[~]

"Of all the memories I can think of, why that? Hay! So sad," she muttered as she bit her lower lip. "I never thought that I will still remember that."

"Anyway, 1004, what does that mean? I know it means 'angel', but what exactly is it?" she wondered as she walked back and forth. ", my brain is not working. Why can't just Bongdo-samcheon tell me everything, so that I won't be having a hard time guessing what he's talking about?"

 

Tic toc, tic toc. Her brain backtracked the memory once again.

 

"Wait! Did Eomma say that the 'angel' is at Aunt Saeyi and Uncle Bongdo's house?" Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "That's it! But why is the number 1004 carved on the key? It's definitely related to what Eomma said back then."

"Is this a password or something? Duh, what password? It's not like it's an apartment, seriously," Taeyeon inwardly scoffed, chuckling sarcastically because of her nonsensical thought. "I am so stupid. Whatever. Samcheon told me that I am the one who will answer my questions, so I guess I have to find every missing piece all by myself."

"Okay, okay. What do I need to do now? But what is it? Is 1004 an animal, plant or something? If it grows big, probably, it's either of the two. Oh, where's that abandoned house again?"

"Let me think," she murmured, tapping her chin with her left fingers. "Wooh... I guess I'll have to refresh my mind and do some soul-searching to find it."

"Yes, Kwon Sangjun-seonsaengnim," the man said, handing two red folders. "Those are the monthly reports of NF Industries and Saemyung Food Corporation's collaboration, Bon Voyage chain of restaurants."

"Director Kim is right," the brand manager of Saemyung Food Corporation, Lee Sungyeol affirmed. "As what you can see for the months of May to June, an increase of 12 percent was seen with Bon Voyage' sales. This double-digit increase proves that Italian cuisine has a big impact in our food industry and investing with Bon Voyage is a great move for your company."

"Seeing the monthly performance of Bon Voyage' chain of restaurants, I am very impressed," Mr. Kwon Sangjun, the general manager of SMC Foods Company, commented while reading the files handed to him by the executive director of Nam Corporation.

He added, "I can see how both of you work hand-on-hand with this collaboration despite your busy schedules. You both are best friends both in work and personal life. I can say that since I've watched over you as a business partner and friend of your families."

"Yes, seonsaengnim. Manager Lee and I exert our utmost effort for this collaboration," Director Kim Sunggyu stated as a matter of factly. "But it's not because we have a personal attachment as friends. We do our best for the benefits of our companies. If you would agree to take an investment with Bon Voyage, we can assure you that you will get desirable outcomes."

"I agree with Director Kim, seonsaengnim. We hope that you will put your trust on us for another time. Seonsaengnim, we never fail you and we will never do," Sungyeol affirmed.

"Okay, I understand," Kwon Sangjun nodded, picking the fountain pen on the table. "I trust the two of you and I know your companies assure the best amongst the rest."

"Kamsahamnida, seonsaengnim." Lee Sungyeol gave him another folder, containimg the contract which the man signed.

"Thank you for trusting us once again," Kim Sunggyu added, bowing his head.

"No need to thank me because I have trusted your companies for the past fifty-five years of our company's existence," the old man answered, signing the contract. "Manager Lee and Director Kim, I hope we can have some time to play golf next time."

"Yes, seonsaengnim. Feel free to contact us anytime you want," Sungyeol politely answered.

"I hope CEOs Lee and Nam can join too because it's been months since the last time we have played golf," Kwon Sangjun said.

"Fully noted, seonsaengnim. Nam-sahjangnim and Lee-sahjangnim will be informed about it," Sunggyu assured.

The man put down the folders and fixed his eyeglasses. He took a glance of his watch and said, "But for now, I have to accompany my wife who wants to have her eyes checked by her opthalmologist." He stood up from his seat.

"We understand, Kwon-seonsaengnim," the young men said in unison as they stood up from their seats and bowed their heads.

"Thank you, Director Kim and Manager Lee, I hope in the near future, I'll be seeing the two of you as the chief operating officer of your respective companies," the old man stated, bowing his head as well. "By the way, thank you for the coffee and food."

"Thank you very much, Kwon-seonsaengnim," once again, the two men said in unison. "Do you want us to accompany you outside?"

"You are much welcome, young gentlemen. There is no need to accompany me. Mr. Do, my driver is waiting for me outside," Kwon Sangjun answered. "Annyeong."

"Annyeong, seonsaengnim," both Sungyeol and Sunggyu said.

Momentarily, the old man left the café and the two men sat back on the chair.

"Hooh. Thankfully, we have successfully closed another investment, Gyuzizi-hyung," Sungyeol said in relief. "You know, you got this fortune on you. You really are a lucky charm, hyung."

"Lucky charm? No, I don't believe in such thing. The outcome is good because we both worked hard for it," Sunggyu calmly stated, taking a sip on the Frapuccino he ordered earlier. "Sungyeol, do you want another coffee or something?"

"Sure, but I want an ice cream instead," the younger man childishly answered, finishing the mocha latte in his cup. "You told me earlier that everything will be your treat, right?"

Suddenly, the serious facade of Saemyung Foods Corporation in front of Mr. Kwon Sangjun earlier was broken by his childishness. Forget about the seriousness. The real him is the elementary kid-like Lee Sungyeol who loves eating foods as if there's an anaconda inside his digestive tract and playing around like a cute child. This is not new to his friends, including the serious Kim Sunggyu who's has always been stuck in work.

"Uh, yeah. Order the foods you want to eat and I'll pay for them, Choding dongsaeng," Sunggyu guaranteed.

"Oh, I want a banana split and a Sans rival cake, Gyuzizi-hyung. Ah, I want an Osaka cake, too. Oh, don't forget that I also want a Philly cheesteak!" Sungyeol beamed loudly.

"Aigoo, Lee Sungyeol. Calm down. Others might think weirdly of you. Just order anything you want," Sunggyu stated, pinching the younger man's cheeks. "You were serious earlier, but now your Choding personality attacks."

"Anio, I am not weird! I am so cute, right?" Sungyeol defended. "And I was only forced to become serious because Brand Manager Lee Sungyeol is my professional facade and Choding cannot intervene with such matters. My Appa and Eomma will hit me if I act childishly in work. Choding is the real me though."

"Okay, okay. You are cute. Lee Sungyeol and Choding, they are both you, dongsaeng. No worries with that," the older man said.

"So, hyung, won't you?" Sungyeol asked, gesturing him to buy the foods for him.

Seeing his friend's reaction, Sunggyu raised an eyebrow and questioned, "Aside from paying for your foods, are you planning to ask me to order your foods for you, too?"

"Nae. You are the hyung, right?" Sungyeol sheepishly answered, pouting his lips and nodding his head. "Hyung-nim, I am your dongsaeng. Besides, you'll be the one who will pay for the foods, so you should also be the one to order them. I was the one who ordered for our foods earlier although it's your credit card I've used. Now, it's your turn, hyung."

'Seriously, is he twenty-four? Aigoo, he's still the choding from the old times.' Sunggyu looked at him seriously and sighed. "Nae, I understand. I will buy you banana split, Osaka cake, Sans Rival cake, and Philly cheesteak. Are you sure you can eat them all?"

"Of course, I can. Can you also add pretzels and croissant?" Sungyeol replied. "How about you? Don't you want to eat or drink something other than that Frapuccino you are drinking?"

"No, I have eaten baked macaroni and garlic bread before I went here, so I am full," Sunggyu said.

"Well, as for me, I have eaten a piece of Apple earlier because my mom scolded me for not waking up earlier than I did."

"No wonder you want to eat lots of foods. Anyway, just wait here and I'll order banana split, Osaka cake, Philly cheesteak, Sans Rival cake, pretzels and croissant," Sunggyu said as he stood up from the couch.

"Yay! You memorized them all. You really are the best, hyung-nim!" the younger man beamed.

"Anything for you, dongsaeng," Sunggyu said as he gave the tall man a pat on his head.

"Annyeong hasimnikka, Sir. May I take your order?" a female staff in the cashier welcomed Sunggyu whose eyes were looking at the menu above.

He stated, "Annyeong hasimnikka. I would like to order one medium-sized banana split, one Osaka cake, one Philly cheesteak, one Sans Rival cake, three original-flavored pretzels and three chocolate croissants. All for dine in, please."

"I will repeat your orders, Sir," the woman said while focused with the electronic cashier. "You ordered one medium-sized banana split, one Osaka cake, one Philly cheesteak, one Sans Rival cake, three original-flavored pretzels and three chocolate croissants. All are for dine in."

His eyes trailed down to the woman who has just mentioned his orders. He nodded and said, "Yes, that is right."Soon, he anded her his credit card which he took out from his wallet.

"It's 10,000 won all in all, Sir," she said, handing him the receipt.

When her eyes met his gazes, Sunggyu's eyes widened all of a sudden. His eyes carefully studied the woman's face and much to his surprise, his mind recognized who she was. 'Wa... Wait... Isn't she—'

[~]

"Ahjumoni!" a boy in his white shirt and black pants called out as he chased after a woman who was holding three bags of groceries.

The woman looked back to know whose voice was it. She put down the bags of groceries and asked, "So it's you again, kid. What is it that you want this time?"

Upon reaching the woman, he gasped for air before he said, giving her a ninety-degree bow. "Annyeong hasimnikka, Ahjumoni. I would like to ask whether or not you have you seen her?"

"Her? You mean my niece?" the woman asked, patting his head.

He ran a hand behind his head and shyly answered, "Nae, Ahjumoni. I would like to—"

"I know. I know that you want to play with her."

"I would like to play with her today... if you would allow us," the boy softly said.

"Of course, you can play with her. When did I forbid the two of you to play? Well, I am actually happy that I am seeing her smile with you. Don't you really want to know her name?"

"Animnida, Ahjumoni. She told me not to ask about anything that is personal."

"Woah. Are you really friends or what? How can your friendship survive with that?" she asked in amusement.

"Uhh, I am sorry, Ahjumoni," he apologized.

"No need to apologize. Kids these days have different yet peculiar prerogatives. Anyway, how about my name? Aren't you even curious of my name?"

"Umm... But I promised to do as she wishes, so I cannot... I cannot ask anything about her family."

"Oh, my niece is very weird. I did not know that she is really that secretive to that extent. Anyway, although you wouldn't want to know my name, I'd like to know yours."

"Umm... But... but you wouldn't tell her, would you, Ahjumoni?" he asked.

"Anio. I promise not to tell her because I know that it's part of your weird deal," the woman answered.

"Okay, Ahjumoni. Let me introduce yourself," the boy agreed and soon bowed his head. "Annyeong hasimnikka! Je ireumeun Kim Sunggyu imnida."

"Wow! What a nice name you have! My niece would only call you 'hamster prince', not knowing that you have a very nice name," she complimented. "But as I have promised, I will not tell her your name because she requested you that."

"Thank you, Ahjumoni for the compliment," he answered back.

"Okay, Sunggyu-ssi. Let me take you to our backyard. She's there, planting something. I am sure that she' be very happy to see you."

"I hope so. Ahjumoni, don't you want some help in carrying those grocery bags?"

"Are you sure, Sunggyu-ssi? You're too small to carry these."

"Animnida, Ahjumoni. I am very strong at this age."

"Okay, okay. Just one bag, Sunggyu-ssi."

"Nae, Ahjumoni!"

[~]

'She... She is...' Sunggyu was flustered from where he's standing. His mind was blank and all his lips could say was, “Ahjumoni.”

The woman was surprised, too, but it's because of his peculiar reaction. She felt weird seeing his reaction, but of course, she managed to look composed. "Chogiyo?"

'I am sure about it. It's her. I am not mistaken.' His eyes trailed down to know the woman's name. Since he never knew the name of the woman he encountered from before, knowing the staff's name will make it easier for him to confirm whether or not his instincts are right. He looked at her nametag. 'Sam? Jung S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter