38: De ja vu

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

De ja vu

[Song of the Day: IU - Someday]

"I will never let you go. We will always be together," he softly said. Although his arms were wounded, he enclosed the girl in a tight embrace.

"I know. We will be together always," she cried, wrapping her left arm behind him.

"Yes, we will," the boy answered.

"But why are those men chasing after you? Did you do something wrong?" she desperately asked, gently releasing herself from his embrace.

He was in pain, but he managed to show a smile on his face. "It does not matter. Let us hide here before they get to see us."

"Why are you not answering me? Tell me. What have you done for them to treat you like this?" the girl asked angrily. "I keep on asking you that, but you're not telling me!"

"Ssh," the boy murmured, placing his right index finger in front of her puce lips. "Please calm down. They might hear us."

"Let us call the police now," she stuttered as her tone lowered. "We won't be able to deal with them if we're only two."

"Anio, we got no escape as for now," he answered with regret. "The men are looking for me right now, so let's hide here behind the grass."

"But... but... I feel scared," she admitted, putting her head down regretfully. "I feel scared right now. What are we going to do now?"

"We should have timing, a timing to get away from this place. Now, calm down and we'll have to sense the men who are surrounding this place," he responded as his eyes wandered around.

"Now that you are injured, are you sure that you can still manage to run quickly?" she asked in her lowest voice as possible.

"It's for survival, my Princess," the boy answered, tucking strands of hair behind her ear. "Let us be optimistic."

"Algesseumnida," she whispered.

"Now, let us get away from here. I've taken quite enough rest, so let us go now before it gets too late."

She asked in puzzlement, "Wait, I thought we are going to hide for a while and you are injured, so how are yo—"

"Gaja. Shall we?" he offered while laying his left hand for her.

She murmured in protest, "But..."

"Do you trust me?" the boy asked as he looked at his friend who was reluctant whether or not to hold his hand.

"I trust you, but—"

"Do you trust me?" he asked.

She said with hesitation, "Yes, I trust you, but..."

"My Princess, do you trust me?" the boy repeated.

"I... I trust you," she whispered.

"What did you say? I did not hear it," he questioned.

She cleared and straightly answered, "I said that I trust you." The girl took his hand.

"That is right." He smiled and held her hand tightly. "Now, we are going to leave and go back to the paradise where we are used to be."

Until now, I want to know why I am being bothered by such thoughts. What that dream is all about, who those children are, I am curious. Their faces are blurred, so my mind cannot recognize them.

Are they someone I know? Probably yes. Why would I dream about them if I do not know them? Or perhaps, is there something wrong with my nervous system processes?

It has been exactly a week since I started dreaming again about different moments I am not familiar with. The last time I did was last December, but the first time my mind showed that moment to me was earlier last year.

But tracing the root of everything, it all started during my twelfth birthday. Hell, that birthday brought misery to me upon hearing the words "cotton candy". I found myself going insane while I saw a river of blood. I remember that if not because of Sungjong, I would have died. Then, I became comatose for hours. The story goes on and after many years, I have lived as a normal person—the Kim Taeyeon who is busy and drowned with work.

Why do I have to be bothered by such thoughts? Possibly, the past will tell me. It is the past that will crawl on me like a nightmare which will vanish too—well, according to Uncle Bongdo to break every obscurity inside my mind. So does that mean I know those children or am I the young girl there?

I’ve gotten too much conclusions. Now, I find myself consulting a physician because my head is spinning like rollercoaster. Waeyo? I am being bothered again by unnecessary slash necessary bad dreams from whichever chapter of whoever's life.

"Ms. Kim Taeyeon, I suggest that you consult a psychiatrist if you are experiencing those kind of things," the man who was in a white coat told me while scribbling whatever he's scribbling in a prescription pad.

I cleared the lump-like forming in my throat. WHAT? Psychiatrist? Does that mean that I am going crazy now?

"Is that so, Shim-uisaseonsaengnim?" I looked flustered as ing hell, but I managed to look calm as possible.

"Yes, Ms. Kim," he nodded. "Most likely, it is not just a recurring headache. Have you experienced any accident or any related scenario that cause you brain injury or trauma? If you did, you should consult a brain trauma expert about it."

I wonder about that, too, uisaseonsaengnim. I am a healthy person even when I worked as a stuntwoman. Yes, I have had experienced head injuries during that time, but I guess my bad dreams are completely irrelevant from that.

I replied, "Honestly, I did, uisaseonsaengnim. Those few instances were during the time I worked as a stuntwoman."

"I can say that your previous occupation says a lot; however, you have told me earlier that as early as twelve, you experience those bad dreams. Therefore, being a former stuntwoman before is completely irrelevant from that," the doctor concluded. “I am still uncertain about it unless certain tests are conducted.”

As what I have thought, this is something fishy. "So... so do you mean that I have experienced an accident way back during childhood?" I questioned.

"I don't know, but that is possible, Ms. Kim," he answered. "As what you have said, too, there are things you cannot remember from your past. I suggest you ask your family about it and again, kindly consult a brain trauma expert as well as a psychiatrist about it."

"Is that so?" I sighed. I did sigh not because of the costs of check-ups and meds if ever I consult those doctors who will prescribe this and that. It's because I feel down for being clueless of what is happening to me.

Am I going crazy now? I have been bothered by bad dreams for seven days now. Is this because of stress? I thought a simple Panadol or analgesic will ease up my pain. It's so stupid of me to consult a physician about my condition. This is way worse than a simple headache.

Should I take a leave from work now? I think my condition is getting worse. I remember that yesterday, I almost spilled the coffee I was holding and I almost fell from the ladder while getting something in the storage room. I became subconscious and mentally paralyzed without any reason. Also, last Tuesday, I almost cut my fingers with a knife while slicing bread because my mind was literally blank and I shivered. That was embarrassing. Last Monday was no good too. I almost burnt the entire kitchen because I was attacked by that nightmare although I was awake.

Thank goodness that my colleagues are very nice and considerate. They did not scold me or anything. I am a very lucky woman, and I know it or I would have seen my stupid self in the slump.

Perhaps, it is the time for me to take an indefinite leave from work. However, the thing is that Sir Woohyun slash Nam Woohyun-ssi is not yet around. I wonder how he would react that upon arriving at South Korea, I would submit a letter of indefinite leave from work. But if I don't, it will greatly affect my performance in work.

Anyway, I know he will understand me, for at least, it's a matter of health and work. I know my leave will also affect my salary, but nothing will be worse than being fired for having a very poor performance. Damn if I do, damn if I don't. Nevertheless, Kim Taeyeon, just do the right thing.

"Yes, Ms. Kim. But for now, I prescribed two analgesics to ease up your headache," Doctor Shim Sooae stated as he gave me a prescription paper as well as a medical certificate.

"Thank you, Shim-seonsaengnim," I gratefully said, bowing my head twice. I sighed once again.

After fifteen minutes, I found myself outside the hospital, walking towards the nearest bus stop. I do not know where these bad dreams will take me, personally.

I kept the prescription paper and the medical certification inside my sling bag.

Should I ask my family about it? Should I ask Uncle Bongdo or Aunt Saeyi about it? Yet the bottom of my medulla oblongata tells me to keep them from being worried about me.

But seriously, I am afraid. I am afraid that things I don't know will hurt me. I am afraid just like when I was twelve. Eotteokhaeyo? Can someone help me please? Why can't Uncle Bongdo tell me everything?

I don't know. I feel like something is missing with me. But why? Why only now that I am twenty-six? I am twenty six with enough rationality, emotional capacity and almost everything as an adult. I don't know why all of these times, I am being knocked by bad dreams as if I am a little girl.

Whenever I have those dreams, I feel scared as if I will die. Those dreams that show me how a girl is being beaten up by a bad girl, how blood flow from , her arms and... I don't want to describe it anymore. It's gruesome. Who's that child? Who's that man? Do I know them?

But I have other dreams. In those dreams, I saw a boy and a girl. Their faces might be blurred, but I can assume that I saw a boy and a girl. Why are they escaping? Whom are they escaping from? I don't understand everything. Why wouldn’t Uncle Bongdo explain everything to me?

Well… who knows?

I entered a bus and sat at the middle row. I sighed for the umpteenth time.

Suddenly, my thoughts were halted when I heard the passenger sitting on the opposite row talking to which I assumed over the phone.

"I know. I am here at Seoul now, Kwangsoo-hyung. My travel from Shanghai to here was very tiring," I heard him saying such words in his deep and manly voice. He was in a gray cardigan, white shirt and gray dress pants. An expensive-looking watch was circling his right wrist. I did not see his full facial features because he was facing the glass window. But who the hell cares?

"Kwangsoo-hyung?" I murmured as my eyes were in desperation to recognize that passenger. Yeah, I shouldn’t care about him, but something inside my mind tells me to recognize that man.

"After staying at Jeonju for few days, I headed straightly to Shanghai. I just asked Samdong-ssi to fix my schedule there," he continued. "Why? I did not want to bother you because I have asked you to do something last week, remember?"

"Kim Sunggyu?" I wondered in a very soft voice. I became nervous like my heart beat like doog, doog, doog.

But, why am I surprised? I should not be surprised. Can't we co-exist as passengers of this bus? It's not like I am a criminal. Who cares if we bump on each other? I can pretend that I did not see him. Yes, I can. But hey, why would I do that?

At first place, why do I feel irked and uneasy of his presence? Did he do or say something wrong? Or is it the fact that I discovered the woman who he loves? I should let him do whatever he wants, and I should let him love the person he wants to love, even if it's...

I sighed and faced the glass window on my side. He got everything that anyone wishes for. Why do I feel uneasy that a man like him loves m... She's a big damsel distress who is in search of her 'real' self. She's being chased after by loan sharks, worked different jobs to earn cash and did not finish her studies. She's poor and very pathetic. He's the executive director and soon-to-be-CEO of Nam Corporation.

He and that woman live in different worlds. Why can't he accept that? Why can't he realize that two different worlds will never collide? He's a fool for loving her. Am I being judgmental? No, it’s the truth. He might have been blessed with intelligence in his profession, but it goes opposite with love.

I murmured, "Such a fool."

I fixed my scarf and let my lips be concealed by its softness. But I am a big fool too. It’s not only him.

"I am at Cheonggu-dong now, Kwangsoo-hyung," the man said as he faced forward. "I am heading to Hope Café because I heard Woohyun wants to see me. He'll arrive at Seoul from Taiwan shortly. After that, I'll fly to Jeonju again because I have to meet Mr. Yong Hakyeon of Sowon Electronics tomorrow.”

What the hell? Can’t the time just run quickly ‘cause I feel uncomfortable right now? Time, please run quickly even just for today.

He continued, "I am very happy that it will not serve as a business trip, but also as a vacation for me in my hometown for the nth time."

Off topic, Woohyun-ssi is going back to Seoul today. Unfortunately, I was not informed. Why didn't he even tell me? I thought he will tell me once he comes back. But who am I to demand? I am an employee while Nam Woohyun is the boss. Get over with it.

Wait, why am I being a nagger and paranoid today? It’s really frustrating!

"That guy," I muttered. "I thought we're friends."

But, I did not even receive a single text message or anything. We're friends, right? So I should at least... Oh wait, have I checked on my phone? As far as I remember I have not checked my phone quite some time now. I did not even take a look of any message from Eomma, Sungjong or Appa.

So did I just keep it inside my bag for a week now? Let me check.

"Okay, I understand, hyung," I heard the man named Kim Sunggyu saying such words. "Take care. Goodbye."

Whatever, I’ll just ignore his presence. Anyway, I dug out for my phone inside the old sling bag I have with me. After a few seconds, I found it. I closed my bag and held my phone.

Assa! But, it's off.

When I heard the bus conductor announcing that we're already at Cheonggu-dong, I stood up, held my bag, but without losing my focus on my phone which I tried to turn on. Soon, I walked while pushing a button on the side of my phone in big hopes it's not low battery. Although I was focused with my phone, I knew that I was able to exit the bus. Shortly, I heard how the bus drove away from the place. However, as my feet landed on the ground, I lost balance.

I almost tripped, but I did not. Unfortunately, the bad thing was my phone fell hardly on the ground although I was able to turn it on.

"Omona," I said in surprised, slapping myself mentally for my clumsiness.

It was breezy at that time, so my long hair covered my face awfully. My bag also fell down and I felt more awful seeing how my things scattered on the ground. When I crouched down to pick them up, I saw someone who crouched down, too, to help me with my things.

It's shaming. Why do I have to be pathetic even at times like this? Well honestly, I'm suffering from headache since this early morning.

"Gwaechanhayo, Agassi?" that person asked me. It was a voice of a man, and I was so certain that it was of a man’s. I may be clumsy, but not deaf. I was not able to see his face because my face was covered by my super messy hair.

I bit my lip and nodded. "Thank you. I am very sorry too," I answered.

Thank you, kind man for helping me. We both picked up my things and placed them inside my old sling bag. When I was about to pick up my wallet and phone, I saw how his hands picked them up for me. I can blurry see that the contents wallet also scattered on the ground.

"Kim... Kim Taeyeon?" his voice sounded like a whisper as he picked up my identification card. Were his hands trembling? Why was he shocked? Does he know me? Not with the questions again, please.

He became silent and it gave me a very unusual feeling.

After a while, he placed the contents of my wallet back in their places and handed it to me, even my phone which fortunately did not break and in fact, still looked good as new. I kept them inside my bag.

Just when I thought when he'd stand up to leave, he went closer to me and gently tucked the hair which was covering my face. Then, that's the time I saw his face—the face of the kind man who helped me. Oh, wait. Is this... I was shocked.

"Kim... Kim Sunggyu-ssi?" I stuttered. Yes, I recognized the clothes he's wearing because I saw him earlier at the bus, right?

He did not look at me, but he just continued fixing my hair. I assumed that the ponytail he's holding was one of things that scattered from my bag earlier. He fixed my hair gently with his soft hands and soon tied my hair with a ponytail. He's so good at it even without a comb.

I was amazed although I felt disappointed with his silence and the fact that he's not looking at me. After that, he fixed my scarf, so that it will not conceal my lips. I just watched him blankly.

My heart told me, is this the beautiful man you are pushing away? Is he the one who you keep on treating coldly?

Kim Sunggyu is definitely an angel. I wonder until now why he is being kind despite everything I have done to him. I wanted to caress his cheeks, even for the last time, but I stopped myself.

My eyes carefully looked at his eyes down to his lips. He's ing beautiful. My cheeks heated up and I knew that they turned crimson. But why? I don't know.

"Don't hide the beauty of that face. It's a waste," he said in a very stiff and cold voice, still not landing a gaze on me.

How can he say such words without blinking an eye? I wondered. A part of me wanted to tell him to look at me, even once. Why? I just wanted it.

"Sung... Sunggyu-ssi, kam.. kamsahamnida," I murmured, bowing my head. He did not give me any reply, so I assumed he ignored it. Of all the people who will see my clumsiness, why him?

I'm a big mess. Kim Taeyeon, is now officially synonymous to the word "mess".

He stood up and much to my surprise; he laid a hand for me to stand up. I thought he'll just leave me there like a trash that is a sore in the eyes, but I was wrong.

Oh, he's a gentleman. But that's not new to me.

I became hesitant whether or not to hold it, but I found myself doing so because my feet were having cramps. His hand was warm and its warmth was immediately passed on my hand.

I felt secured. I felt comfortable. I wish the time will stop, but that's impossible.

As I stood up, he gently let go of my hand. Do I have a virus or something? When he let go of me, I felt the coldness in him.

Now, I believe in the law of karma. This is how I treated him before.

Without saying any word, he turned back. I watched him as he walked away. He's heading towards the direction where the café is, so I assumed that he'll go there. The conversation he had with Lee Kwangsoo-ssi on the phone earlier tells it.

Should I take another direction? But how's that possible? I don't know. Why am I avoiding him? He acted coolly as if he did not know me, so I should do the same thing. I will walk normally as if I don't see him. I'll just walk on the other side.

Let's say that the feelings are mutual. He's cold and I am too.

I started walking, but on the opposite side where he's walking. I heard the loud sound of a stereo at a small flower shop as I casually walked around the busy streets.

I stopped and looked at one of the display bouquets from the glass window.

Oh, magnolia flowers. They were so beautiful. They were wonderful like the beautiful sun that shone brightly on me. My mood brightened up and the annoyance I felt earlier was slowly washed away.

Actually, I love magnolia and in fact, that is my favorite flower. Back then, my father and brother usually give me magnolia to make me happy.

I opened my phone which I dug out from my bag. As I opened the lock screen of my phone, I continued walking. Maybe, I should change my plain black phone wallpaper to a photo of magnolia next time. Isn’t that a great idea?

My eyes widened upon seeing numerous missed calls and text messages from Eomma, Appa and Sungjong, but... the majority of them were from Nam Woohyun, my boss.

Forty missed calls and ten text messages, I was stunned. Just when I thought he forgot me, it turns out the fault lies on me. Why in the world didn't I open my phone for seven days now? My parents are now at Mokpo again while Sungjong stays at his classmate's house at Gangnam to finish a school project. Well, it means I could not ask any of them about my condition. I just texted them that I’m doing fine in work.

Anyway, I read one of my boss slash friend's messages. It says:

"Annyeong haseyo, Taeyeon-ssi. I will go back to Seoul today. I hope you are doing fine once I come back. Well, you are the first person I informed about it. Ke ke ke ke ^ ^ See you soon."

"He is very thoughtful," I whispered as I closed the phone and soon placed it back inside my bag.

Indeed, I am very lucky to have met a friend like my boss, Nam Woohyun. I wonder why I am too late to realize it. I am too late to realize his worth. Back then, I only called him a "bastard", "jerk", "wretch", "worthless" or whatever whenever he pissed me off.

But now, I realize he is more than that. Nam Woohyun is more than a foolish guy who only loves to play around. He is better than that. He is a very kind man who genuinely takes care of others, including me, as a matter of fact.

Suddenly, I felt someone pulling the hem of my skirt. I ignored it, but after two times of noticing it, I stopped.

"Noonim," I heard a very little voice below.

It was a young boy. I looked at him and crouched down on his height. Who's he? I became curious. I spoke gently, "Annyeong haseyo, my name is Kim Taeyeon. May I know your name?"

"I am Jung Won-ho, noonim," he answered in his little voice. Aww, my heart fluttered seeing his smile. He bowed. "I am very pleased to meet you."

I bowed, too. "I am very pleased to meet you, too, Wonho-ssi," I said. "So what is the thing I can do for you?"

"I have something for you, Taeyeon-noonim," he said. I saw how he moved his hands he hid behind. As he moved them forward, I saw three magnolias on his hold.

I was moved. Oh, magnolias! I stuttered in surprise, "Oh, why... why are you giving them to me, Wonho-ssi?"

"I know that your favorite flower is magnolia, Taeyeon-noonim," Wonho answered, handing the three flowers to me.

Is this for real? How did he know that my favorite flower is magnolia? Aww, so sweet. "Wonho-ssi, how... how did you know that? Tha... thank you for these flowers. I really appreciate them."

"It is not me whom you should thank, Taeyeon-noonim. It's the handsome hyung who requested me to give them to you," the child answered.

Handsome hyung? Who is he talking about? Too much surprises today, huh.

I asked curiously, "May I ask who is he?" Secret admirer? Stalker? Who? That's weird, but I'm curious who he is although I’m not really comfortable with those admirers thingy. Well, I'll just thank him for these magnolias.

"It is him who will tell you the answer," the kid wittily answered. He immediately entered the flower shop which I think is where he came out from.

I called out for name, for I was about to chase after him, but I did not move. I just sighed. He disappeared like a bubble, didn't he? Never mind.

Thank you, Wonho-ssi and to whoever hyung you mentioned.

My mind hummed with the beautiful song played outside the shop:

jeo haneulgwa taeyang baram majeo

i modeunge saeroun sijaginde

dunun gameumyeon

hyanggiropge neoui pume isseo

eonjenga neon naege kkok dasi wa jullae

yeongwonhi byeonchi annneun bulkkoccheoreom

hwanhan byeolbit araeseo soksagineun

jeo saedeul gyeoteseo noraehae

I held the flowers tightly as I smiled. When I was about to stand up, I heard someone saying, "That is right. Smile brightly like those magnolias. You look so much beautiful when you do that."

I was certain that it's the "handsome hyung" who Wonho mentioned. I lifted my head to see who it was. Excitement and gratitude filled up my heart. I don't know, but they just did. Probably, it's because I felt very curious to know who he is.

Oh! Hold on. Dang! Woah! Amazing!

"Woohyun-ssi," I instantly recognized who he was when my eyes landed on him. I was surprised, yet amazed at the same time. How did he know that I love magnolias? I gaped widely.

"Wae? Surprised?" he questioned as he shot me a smile and laid a hand for me.

I took his hand and answered while chuckling. , you surprised me!

"Of course, I did. Why wouldn't I be surprised that the handsome hyung that Wonho mentioned knows my favorite flowers? I thought it was a joke, but seeing that hyung, I can really say he is very handsome." I emphasized the last two words of my statement as I stood up.

"You are beautiful as those magnolias. I see the smile on your face while you looked at them," Woohyun said in his signature greasiness.

"Really? Just because of my smile you knew it?" I scoffed. "Or perhaps, you are a stalker, aren't you?"

"Call me a stalker or whatever, Ms. Kim. It does not matter," he confidently told me. "My heart will gladly accept any hurtful word as long as it is you who say it. And yes, I did see it through your beautiful smile."

Uh, greasy. That is too much. I am not used to such thing. He has been doing that for a year and half, but I’m still uncomfortable with it. "Cut it out, Sir Woohyun. That is inappropriate."

You're still my boss, Nam Woohyun. Don't forget that EVER. It's okay to cross that line now that I'm officially accepting you as my close friend, but not too much.

His face puckered as he muttered, "What inappropriate? I am like this so let me be. You are very lucky that a man like me tells those words to you. Oh, and you forgot to drop the honorifics when we're the only ones around."

He looked nice. The man was in a blue denim polo shirt, white pants and blue rubber shoes. His black hair was down. He looked simple yet attractive at the same time.

I said, "I intentionally did that to tone down your greasiness. But hey, honestly, how did you know that I love magnolia?"

"Didn't I tell you that I see it in your smile?" he insisted, letting go of my hand gently.

"Do you think I believe you? Nah, that's a cliché. I know it," I mocked, rolling my eyes.

Do you think I will believe that? Men will be men. Saying rosy words to woo women. But, he's not wooing me, right? That's impossible.

"Believe it or not, I don't care. It's up to you, Ms. Kim," Woohyun retorted in a serious tone. I don't know whether or not he's mocking me, but I'll just convince myself that he is.

"Anyway, I had just seen the messages you have sent me. I thought that you—" I sounded shy.

I thought you have forgotten me, but heck, it's my fault for not checking on my phone for damn seven days now. I admit that it's my fault.

"That I have forgotten you?" He raised an eyebrow and moved his lips, depicting that he's somewhat annoyed. "How is that even possible if I sent you forty calls and ten text messages? I should be the one saying that, Ms. Kim Taeyeon. I thought... I thought you are avoiding me again."

He frowned. Yes, he frowned, but he's still handsome.

"Of course not! Sir... I mean Woohyun-ssi, of course, I did not," I defended immediately. "I actually waited for your call or message, but unfortunately, I have realized just now that I have not checked on my phone for seven days now. I'm sorry."

"At least you admit it," he stated as he pouted his lips childishly.

"Anyway, thank you for the flowers. I like them very much," I said genuinely.

"You are very much welcome, Taeyeon-ssi," he said as he smiled once again. "I am glad that you like them."

"Well, what's the occasion that you've given me flowers? My birthday was last March," I asked as we both walked.

"Nothing. I just felt that I should," Woohyun casually replied.

"Jinjjayo?" I raised another question, but a very thrifty question.

Without looking at me, he mouthed, "Yeah."

"Really? I'm not convinced," I said.

"Then, don't be," he retorted.

"Ya, tell me. I am curious," I persisted like an investigator. Malhaejuseyo, Nam Woohyun!

"Don't ask anymore. I told you that I just felt it. Enough of it, okay?" he answered, trying not to sound rude.

Wanting to piss him off, I casually said, "But I want to know it. Tell me the real reason why you gave me some flowers and ah, how you discovered that I love magnolias."

He stopped walking and abruptly blocked my way when he went in front of me. I blinked twice and stuttered, "Wae? Did I say something wrong?"

Woohyun looked serious, probably pissed with my insistence. Suddenly, I saw him securing my shoulders with his hands. "Listen."

Oh, did I piss him off for real? Man, I'm dead. I am sorry.

I nodded and mouthed, "Yes, I will."

He cleared his throat and scooted his face near mine. I almost squirmed from where I was standing, but I managed to stay still. "The reason why I gave you magnolias is because I want to make you smile.”

Woohyun paused, cleared his throat and continued speaking afterwards, “I was from a distance when you stopped by in front of the flower shop. I saw the glow in your eyes when staring at those flowers, so I immediately texted Sungjong to ask if your favorite flower is magnolia."

"Uh, yes. I understand." I said. I tried to sound calm because seriously, I felt uncomfortable with our close gap. So Sungjong was the one who told him that. I won't ask anymore.

When I was about to free myself from his grip, he held my shoulders tighter.

"But above all, I... I missed you." He paused and soon continued, "I missed you, Taeyeon-ssi. Now that I came back from Taiwan, I want to see your smile again, so I thought of cheering you up." His gazes were serious and I saw the sincerity as he said such words.

I prevented my mouth from gaping widely. I felt moved. I appreciated those words from you, Woohyun-ssi. Yes, I did.

But I hope those words are only out of friendship. I hope that you don't have a deeper meaning with those words. Or else, I wouldn't be able to bear seeing another man like Kim Sunggyu who's being clouded by his feelings for the selfish and pathetic m.... Never mind. I believe you, Nam Woohyun and I know we'll never go beyond as friends. You wouldn't like me, right? But anyway, thank you for being a very good friend.

"Thank you," I replied. "Thank you for making me feel better and for missing me. I missed you, too."

"I believe you," he stated as he slowly let go of my shoulders. "I am glad that you missed me too." Nam Woohyun shot me a very wide smile.

I coughed and gave him a plain look. "So shall we head to work now?" I asked.

"Yes, Ms. Kim. We are heading to work now," he replied.

I faced forward as we both continued walking. I'd definitely miss that smile. My heart felt a pinch of pain when I realized that I'll be writing a letter of indefinite leave from work later.

Yeah, I have to take an indefinite leave from work because of my condition. I wonder how I'll tell him that. Hearing how he missed me after being away for a week, I felt guilty. I'll be out of his sight for weeks or even months soon because of my unusual condition.

But I guess I'll just do the right thing. If this condition gets in my way, I'll have to lie low for a while. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. I won't be taking a leave because I want to, but I have to.

Upon taking a leave from work, I'll go back to Jeonju and meet my long-time psychiatrist and our family friend, Dr. Hwang. I know that she'll help me with my condition. If she did help me before, she'll do it again for me. I'll have to consult a neurologist or even brain trauma expert even if it'll cost a lot.

I can't just live like this. I can't just live being haunted by those things I opt to know.

Seven days is a misery, what more with two weeks, months or a year? If someone could just help me, I won't be surely experiencing this agony.

After eight minutes of walking, my boss and I reached Hope Café. He opened the glass door and let me enter the café first before he did. He's a gentleman. Uh, the Nam brothers are gentlemen, I swear. How many times do I have to tell that?

"Thank you," I murmured.

Kim Junho and Cha Baro immediately ran towards us and bowed. Perhaps, they did not see who we are and thought that we're customers.

"Good morning, Ma'am and Sir," the two men said. See? I told you. I was right.

"Hey, it's me. No need to be formal," I casually answered then pointed our boss. "Look. I am with Sir Woohyun."

"Sir Woohyun?" they wondered as they slowly lifted their heads. Their eyes widened as their jaws dropped.

"Good morning! It's me. I'm back," Sir Woohyun greeted as he waved his hand.

"A... annyeong haseyo, Sir Woohyun," they stuttered as they bowed repetitively.

"No need to be formal. The café seems to be busy right now, so go back to your works now," our boss said as he smiled.

Although hesitant at first, they nodded. "Yes, Sir Woohyun," my two colleagues answered as they did as what our boss said.

"Um, the café is busy, Sir. Shall I proceed to my work now?" I said while my eyes wandered around.

"Sure. Start your day now. I'll just go to my office," he responded.

Suddenly, the rest of the staff members noticed our boss' presence. They were all surprised now that he has arrived from his long way from Taiwan.

I saw Dongjun and Kwon who had just come out from the kitchen going towards us, and even Yoseob and Kikwang who had just served the orders of the customers whilst Mr. Bong stayed at the cashier, doing his task. He just smiled at us and bowed his head.

"Annyeong haseyo, Taeyeon-ssi and Sir Woohyun," they greeted in unison, bowing their heads.

"Annyeong haseyo," Woohyun and I said in unison as we both bowed our heads.

"Manager Nam, I see that you happened to meet her upon coming back from Taiwan," Kwon stated as he stole a glance of the flowers I was holding.

"Coincidence. That is right," Woohyun excused, pulling off a calm expression. "I met her while I was walking outside."

I nodded and hid the flowers I was holding behind without making it obvious. "That is right. I met Sir Woohyun while walking... across the street."

"We are glad to see that you are back, Sir," Yoseob said.

"Yeah, I'm glad to be back, too," our boss agreed, nodding his head. "I really prefer the air of our country than the air of a foreign land."

"We hope you did well, Sir," Dongjun stated.

"Fortunately, I did. Thank you. Thank you for your kind words," Woohyun replied. "Anyway, the café is busy, so I don't want to interrupt you anymore. You may all go back to your works."

"Oh, wait," Yoseob mumbled. I noticed that he's peeking on what I was hiding behind. "Did I just see flowers? Taeyeon-ssi, are those magnolias?"

Oh, shoot! Dongjun went behind me to confirm whether or not Yoseob's sight was right. Um, I saw Kwon smirking. Well, he's the one who saw then first, as a matter of fact. I know he's being suspicious again, and he has a clue who gave it to me, but then again, I'll just play it coolly and be calm.

Kwon-ssi, it's not what you're thinking.

"Yeah... You are right. These are magnolias." I was forced to show the flowers to them because I got no choice.

"Woah! Who gave them to you this early morning? Three magnolias? Does that mean 'I Like You'?" Kikwang asked wittily as he looked at the flowers in amusement.

"Yeah, how sweet of that person," Dongjun said. "Is that your secret admirer, boyfriend or what?"

Not that. Don't think of it that way. Anio! It's not that, errr...

I denied, waving my other hand, "Animnida, animnida. It's just someone, a friend. Don't mind it. Let's do our work now." I tried not to land a gaze on our boss who stood calmly.

"A friend or a special friend?" Kwon interrogated in a tone that signaled that he knew something. He sounded suspicious as he judged Woohyun's reaction.

Jo Kwon-ssi, tell me. Do you know something? Probably, you do. You're a close buddy of the Nam brothers, I remembered.

"It’s a friend of mine. Anyway, I'll change my clothes upstairs," I stuttered.

I feigned a smile and dragged my feet away from them. They were looking at me as I was a liar who's trying to hide my "significant one".

Ya, it's Sir Woohyun! I mean, not the significant one, but the one who gave me the flowers. But do you think I'll tell you that? No way! I'll leave you guys hanging there.

After taking the fifth step away from them, I heard Sir Woohyun speaking up casually, which halted my steps, "If you want know the one who gave her the flowers, it's me. It's me who gave them to her."

Oh. MY. God! Why in the hell did you TELL them that, Nam Woohyun? Are you insane?

I heard how my colleagues whispered to each other, apparently surprised with our boss' bomb. What will they think of me now? It's embarrassing! They were very shocked upon hearing that revelation.

I walked away as if I did not hear anything. I slowly made my way upstairs because I needed to change into my uniform.

Nam Woohyun, why did you tell them that? What will they think of me now? What will they think of our interaction now? This is one troublesome situation, but nothing is wrong if I act cool and calm as if nothing is wrong. That's right. I'll play it cool. I'll be taking an indefinite leave from work anyway.

Soon, as I entered the female's locker room at the second floor, I changed my clothes. I changed my casual clothes into my uniform. Well, this will be the last time I'll work here.

Ahh, no. What I mean the last time before I take my indefinite leave from work. After changing my clothes, I sat down on a chair and grabbed my bag which I placed on the side.

I opened my bag and took a pen and paper. Using the pen, I wrote down a letter indicating my desire to take a leave from work and the reason why I want to do so. It took me five minutes to finish it. I attached the medical certificate Dr. Shim gave me using a stapler I also brought out from my bag.

"This will be enough," I breathed as I gently folded the letter. "I really hope Sir Woohyun will understand me."

I stood up and fixed myself. I should get ready to give this to Woohyun. Again, I will do it not because I want, but I have to. I will come back once I recover from this condition. I promise that. But if he fires me, I will willingly accept it.

At exactly, five minutes, I found myself downstairs, staring at the door of the manager's office. I became reluctant whether I should or should not cast a knock, but I knew I should. I should do it for myself.

I cast five gentle knocks against the door. I felt very nervous. I felt very nervous to face him.

"Sir Woohyun," I called out. I waited for him to open the door.

After a minute, the door opened for me. Ergo it was another man who appeared before my eyes.

"What is it?" he asked as he looked at me straightly.

Third time. This will be the third time that I'd be seeing Kim Sunggyu this day. First, at the bus. Second, when my things scattered at a pavement. Third, right in front of me, waiting for my answer while he's there standing at the entrance of his brother's office. Fate, if ever it exists, is not kind to me.

I gave him a ninety-degree bow and politely greeted, "Annyeong haseyo."

When I lifted my head, I saw him bowing, too. "Come inside. You are looking for my brother, aren't you?"

I felt shy, but I forced to look confident. What should I say? Say something. "Nae, Sunggyu... Sunggyu-seo... seonsaengnim."

I almost covered my mouth for saying the honorific that has always been a pain in his ears. His stoic face hardened. Naneun baboya! I bowed again, but as an apology.

"I... I mean... you and Sir Woohyun might be having a conversation, so I apologize for my intrusion,” I explained.

"Who is that, Sunggyu-hyung?" I heard Manager Nam Woohyun's voice from inside.

He looked away from me and stated, "Come inside, Ms. Kim. It's no big deal. We are about to finish our conversation when you knocked."

I stuttered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter