41: Dusky

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dusky

[Song of the Day: Big Bang - Lies]

"Aunt Saeyi, it has been ages since the last time we saw each other," Taeyeon said, giving her aunt a warm embrace.

"Yet you still look young as the Kim Taeyeon I have seen the last time we did," Saeyi answered as she gave her back a light pat.

Releasing Saeyi from her embrace, the young woman stated, "Aunt, of course, I have grown older. I'm twenty-six now and that's far from being the Taeng kid before."

They sat on the white couch of the living room.

It was a bright Sunday at the time being. The weather was warm and everything was dry as the bright sun shone at the beautiful province of North Jeolla. Coming from the city of Seoul after taking a two-day absence from work, Jung Saeyi paid a visit to her husband's niece, Kim Taeyeon who was literally alone inside her family's house. Her parents have yet to come back from Mokpo while Sungjong was in Seoul because he was busy with the stuff and commitments he has to finish for his second year as an architecture student at a university in Seoul.

"Okay. I get it," her aunt nodded. "But honestly, you have become more beautiful. I will not be surprised if many men go gaga over you."

"Aunt," Taeyeon whined. "Please stop flattering me. I am not that beautiful and guys don't fall for me."

"Such a big beautiful liar," Saeyi retorted, poking her niece's forehead. "Do you think I will believe that?"

"But... but that's the truth," her niece defended, stuttering every word she's saying.

"Jeongmallyo?" the middle-aged woman scoffed. "I don't believe you, Taeng. You are beautiful and it will be impossible that guys don't notice you. Your kindness is a plus factor."

"No, there really isn't, Aunt. There are really no guys who are courting me, not even taking an interest," Taeyeon denied.

She pretended not to look affected in spite of the reality that there's really someone who has a special interest on her, and this man confessed to her few days ago, as a matter of factly. Although she feels overwhelmed and grateful that a person she regards on the pedestal such as Kim Sunggyu directly told her that he loves her, she has to keep it. Telling it to others will just make her look like a delusional woman who's blabbering nonsense.

"I still don't believe you, Taeng," Saeyi blurted. "You are just keeping things from me."

Taeyeon felt uncomfortable, but managed to look cool. Diverting the topic, she asked, "Aunt, what is the purpose of your visit here?"

"I wanted to see how my niece is doing now. I received the news that you're staying here at Jeonju from Solji," her aunt answered. "Although it has been only quite some time since I started working at Gangnam, I want to have at least one day from work. With that, I can spend some time with my family."

"Algesseumnida, Aunt. I am glad that you have a work now," the young woman said. "Being busy with work is tiresome, so I think at least a day of break won't hurt."

"Exactly. Well, but I can say I enjoy my work at Seoul. My colleagues are nice and even our boss. I really can't imagine until now that a coffee shop accepted me despite of my age," Saeyi candidly expressed. A smile was formed on her face. "Usually, coffee shop staff are of young age, so at first, I really thought I wouldn't get accepted there when I applied, but I did try. Trying is risky, but that is pretty much better than being unemployed."

"You are very hardworking and nice. I don't wonder why you get accepted there, Aunt," Taeyeon stated. "Character is never defined by age."

"Oh, right. Thank you for those kind words. I also would like to thank you for helping us out with our debts. You always help us out whenever we're down. I owe your you and family a lot," her aunt said.

"No need to thank me. Aunt, we are a family. A family should always stay together, for better or for worse," she humbly assured. "We might not have been physically in touch with each other, but nothing can change the fact that we are a family."

"Thank you. You are an angel sent to us by heaven," Saeyi nodded and gave her a light pat on her head. "Anyway, are you here for good or just for a vacation?"

"For a vacation, Aunt," the young woman replied in a doubtful tone.

"Really? But you seem to be dubious," Saeyi questioned, giving her a look.

"Aunt, if things go well, I'll go back to Seoul, but if not, I'll stay here for good," she answered plainly.

"Hold on. I'm confused. Did you encounter a problem in Seoul?" her aunt wondered with confusion filling up her tone.

"Problem? No, that's not it, Aunt," Taeyeon disaffirmed coolly. "I did have a normal life in Seoul."

"But what do you mean with the words you have said earlier?" Saeyi questioned, her forehead wrinkling as she tried to process what in the world is going on with Kim Taeyeon.

Clueless on how to make her aunt comprehend her situation, she let out a heavy breath. "Those words... uh, no. Please do not mind them, Aunt. I am doing well and I filed for a vacation from work because I want to spend some time here in Jeonju."

'Kim Taeyeon, I know that you are lying.'  Unconvinced with her excuse, Saeyi stated, "No, Taeng. I know you are keeping something from me. Even though we have been away for years, as one of the people who took care of you before, I can determine whether or not you tell lies."

"Aunt," Taeyeon murmured. 'I... I am very sorry, but I don't think I should tell you about it. I don't think you would comprehend my situation.'

"Malhaebwa. Tell me everything, Taeyeon. I don't want you to keep things all by yourself," her aunt insisted, touching Taeyeon's right hand softly. "We are a family, so you can tell me anything that bothers you."

"I... I," the young woman stammered with an obvious morose painted on her face. "I do not know how I should say it." She put her head down.

"Taeyeon, please don't be afraid," Saeyi requested. "We are a family and you know that I will always be here for you. Tell me what's bothering you."

"It... It is actually about the dreams I have been experiencing lately. This may sound foolish, but I got a feeling that such dreams are real," Taeyeon explained gloomily. "I usually ignore the dreams I have, but this time, they're different. There's something about them that I can't explain."

"Re–really?" Saeyi stuttered, apparently shocked with her niece's revelation.

"Yes, Aunt Saeyi," the young woman affirmed. "I have gone to Doctor Hwang yesterday, but she was thrifty with answers. I couldn't figure out whether or not such dreams are involved with my past. Aunt, I really can't remember some things during my childhood. Do you know what happened to me before?"

Seeing the blend of intense eagerness and sadness, Saeyi was taken aback. She did not know what to tell her. Does she know anything about what Taeyeon is talking about? She herself only knows the answer. "Why? Do those things affect your daily living and job in Seoul?"

Taeyeon nodded immediately. She cleared and stated, "Yes, Aunt Saeyi. I always feel bothered because of them. Oh, I remember that I have few dreams that show two children. One dream shows that a girl was seemingly to be abducted and tortured by a bad guy. Neither I understand them nor know who those people were."

'The past that appears like a horrible nightmare, that's it.'  Saeyi became terrified with her words, but keeping things she knows won't hurt her niece because it's for her sake. "Is that so? You... You must be very stressed with work that's why you keep on having such dreams."

"But Aunt, I don't think those things are simple. There must be something I don't know or maybe I don't remember," Taeyeon guessed sensibly. "I remember that Bongdo-samcheon once told me something vague before. He said it's the past that will crawl like a nightmare. Do you know anything about that, Aunt?"

'Bongdo, you are very careless. How could you say such thing? You must be out of your mind.'  Her aunt felt awkward, but she forced to stay cool. She faked an assuring smile and said, "No, Taeng. You must be very stressed that's why your brain pop those ideas. Don't mind what Bongdo said to you before."

"Why, Aunt? Bongdo-samcheon seems to know something. He even gave me a key to a house. I think it's somewhere here in Jeonju," Taeyeon inferred.

"Oh," her aunt uttered.

"Isn't that the key to your old house? I think I have lived there when I was younger. Solji even told me during my visit that I even had a friend before who I actually can't remember now," the young woman stated. "Eomma and Appa have not even told me anything about my stay here in Jeonju with you, honestly."

"Is that so?" Saeyi murmured. She had an unreadable reaction on her face.

"Yes. Kindly tell me if that key is to your house, Aunt," Taeyeon pleaded. "Perhaps, it is the only way for me to refresh those things that happened to me. Please, Aunt."

"But Taeyeon-ah," her aunt precariously said. "Maybe it just vanished in your parents' minds that's why they forgot to tell you anything about it. You should ask them yourself. Anyway, those moments are not important. What matters most is the present time, right?"

"Animnida," the young woman stated eagerly. "I know that you and Uncle Bongdo are keeping something from me. I really can feel it."

"Taeyeon, there is nothing we are keeping from you. Those dreams... Kindly ignore them. You must just be stressed or something," Saeyi spat out the alibi she could ever think of. She did not know what to tell her. Despite wanting to help her niece out, she couldn't just tell her anything about it. 'No, Taeyeon. Those things are buried in the past. Stop digging them. You'll just get... get hurt.'

She promised to keep shut and pretend nothing happened. Yes, she does know something about her past. Being with her during those times, she knows a lot ergo she could not open carelessly or it'll surely 'cause something Taeyeon expect the least.

Having the gut feeling that her aunt knows something that will clear certain things her mind tells her, Taeyeon pleaded, "Please tell me where that house is, Aunt."

"Old house? I... I don't know what you are talking about," Saeyi denied.

"Aunt, please don't lie to me," the ypung woman firmly worded. "I know you both are keeping something from me. Okay, I won't ask anything about it because I will be the one to figure everything out, so just tell me where that house is."

"What would it help if I tell you where that is? That wouldn't change anything," Saeyi talked back in haste. "Taeyeon, just forget about attempting to recall what's lost. What's lost is lost."

Upon hearing such words, Taeyeon had instantly gotten the clue that Jung Saeyi knew something about her past. With her aunt's indirect confession, she realized that she should make big deal out of something that's lost in her life. "Aunt Saeyi, if there really isn't you are keeping from me, then tell me where that house is and I'll confirm it myself if I really should make a big deal out of it."

"Kim Taeyeon," her aunt hissed, giving herself a mental slap for what she said earlier. 'She really has not changed. She's still that kid who insists what she wants. What can I do?'

'I swear that this is something I should do for myself.'  Taeyeon flashed a bright smile and begged, "Please."

'When will Koo-seonsaengnim give me the results of the investigation?'  the man let out a frustrated sigh while reading the newspaper he requested from his secretary at exactly five minutes ago.

"I'm getting impatient, but he said that it will really take some time before the investigation finishes," Sunggyu murmured as he turned the newspaper to the next page. "I really am getting impatient now."

All of a sudden, he heard someone knocking outside his office. He neatly folded the newspaper and placed it on the couch.

The executive director fixed his tie and coat before saying, "Come in." He cleared his throat and coughed.

After a few seconds, Lee Kwangsoo, his secretary, came inside the office. He gave the executive director a ninety-degree bow.

Sunggyu looked at him and asked, "What can I do for you, Secretary Lee?"

"Director Kim, your brother, Mr. Nam Woohyun is looking for you," the secretary answered.

"Is that so?" the executive director asked.

"Yes, Director," Kwangsoo affirmed.

Sunggyu gave him a nod and stated, "Secretary Lee, please tell him to come in."

"Yes, Director," his secretary responded instantly.

"Thank you," the director said, giving him a smile. "Anything else?"

"That is all, Director Kim," Kwangsoo answered.

"Algesseumnida. You may now go. Please tell Ms. Bong to prepare something for Manager Nam," Sunggyu requested.

"Fully noted, Director," the secretary answered, giving him a bow before he left the office.

'Woohyun? He visited me yesterday here and now he's dropping by again. Very unusual.'  Sunggyu thought before he read the newspaper again. "It seems that he has changed."

When two minutes have passed, the presence of his younger brother welcomed his sight. He put down the newspaper and gave his brother a bow.

"Annyeong haseyo, Manager Nam," Sunggyu formally greeted. "It seems that you have been visiting the company lately."

"Annyeong haseyo, Gyu-hyung," Woohyun greeted back as he bowed. "No need for formalities. I just dropped by to bring you some food."

"Really?" Sunggyu, stunned with his purpose of visiting, murmured. "Have a seat." He gestured his brother to take a seat on the couch across where he's sitting on.

"Okay, hyung," his younger brother said. He did as what Sunggyu told him to do so.

"What are those things you are holding?" Sunggyu wondered, pointing the boxes wrapped in cloth that his brother was holding.

"Again, I came here to bring you some food. I know that you have a habit of skipping meals that's why I prepared lunchboxes for you," Woohyun explained as he handed him the lunchboxes.

'Very amusing. Yesterday, he brought some medicine and now lunchboxes. It seems that Woohyun has changed or maybe going back to how he used to be.' The older man was really surprised with his brother's thoughtfulness.

It's not that he dislikes it. It's just very unbelievable that Woohyun starts becoming a very caring and thoughtful brother. But actually, he was like that before. It was just until the moment he got into the company that his younger brother started to treat him indifferently. Nonetheless, at the moment, what matters most for Sunggyu is that his brother is trying to be the 'old' him and that enough satisfies his grumbling stomach which hasn't eaten yet since this morning.

"Thank you. Although you really don't have to do this, I feel grateful to you, Woohyun," Sunggyu sincerely expressed.

"No need to be grateful. You have treated me like that before. You would prepare food and take care of me. Now, I am returning the favor," Woohyun explained as he stifled a smile.

'Thank you, Namu. Thank you for being the Namu I used to know.'  the older man nodded, smiling back at his brother who was seemingly sincere with his actions. "Thank you, Woohyun. I appreciate it a lot."

"By the way, you seem to be very busy lately," the younger man commented. "What's up?"

"Yes, I am. I have to deal with some investors who are interested to collaborate with our hotel project at Jeonju next week," Sunggyu explained.

"Jeonju?" Woohyun asked. "Isn't that your hometown?"

"Nae, it is. Because I have to monitor the project, I have to stay there for quite some time," the executive director further elaborated.

"Really?" Woohyun murmured. His lucid expression shifted to an inscrutable reaction. His lips pressed a line while pondering the words his hyung said. 'Of all the places, why Jeonju?'

"Yes, Woohyun," Sunggyu said. "I don't think I will be burdened with such project because it's my hometown. The project will not just be a work time, but also a vacation for me."

Although it's very fake of him to show joy with such thing, Woohyun stated in the nicest way as possible, "That is very nice to hear." He knew that such words were very bitter, contrary to the cheerful facet he's showing his brother at the moment. 'That is very unpleasant to hear.'

Should he be happy that his brother is going to stay at Jeonju again? No. His real self that hides behind a hypocritical and pretentious mask felt very displeased.

"You seem to be excited, aren't you?" Woohyun asked, maintaining his goody-goody facade.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Sunggyu stated. "Jeonju is Jeonju. Even though I have visited there not long time ago, I still feel nostalgic. That keeps the excitement and joy whenever my feet get the chance to step on the fields of Jeonju."

"I understand you, hyung-nim," the younger man agreed. "Jeonju is Jeonju. It is not just any place that you visit because it played a very big role in your life."

Precisely. Jeonju is Jeonju. It is not just a simple province where Nam Corporation shall construct another hotel, but the place which played a big role in his brother's life.

"You are right, Woohyun. It played a big role in my life that fate lets me keep coming back there," said the executive director of Nam Corporation who couldn't agree more with his brother's statement. "That every time I go there, I have the urge to reminisce the memories I had during childhood and discover the things that I should have known."

"Woah, hyung-nim," Woohyun stated. "Your words make me feel envious that you have a place which you cherish most. I am very envious. Very envious."

The last two words of his statement sounded serious and bitter, but he made it sure that he said them naturally as if he's like a simple child who's plainly envious with someone else's candy. Yet in reality, he meant those words. He meant how envious he was to his brother who does have EVERYTHING in life.

Hearing the place Jeonju irks Woohyun. Not to forget it's the place where Sunggyu might find out the pieces of the past that might change everything. Why is fate being generous to Sunggyu always? Woohyun thinks that it's unfair that his brother's happiness is his huge headache. In the end, it is always him who ends up as the sore loser.

"No you shouldn't be envious. Your place is in Seoul. You spent your good memories here and better be grateful for that," Sunggyu murmured while shaking his head. "Oh, I remember that you did too at Mokpo."

"But hyung-nim, what do you mean by the thing you want to discover?" the younger man questioned, trying to sound nice as if there's no malice with his question, but purely curiosity. "Is that something about your past?"

As what Sunggyu said, whenever at Jeonju, he gets the urge to discover the things he should have known before. Sensibly analyzing it, this could be something else. His brother might be planning to discover things about his past in Jeonju.

"Um, it could be," the older man vaguely answered. "These things are what I deserve to know, not as Kim Sunggyu of the Nam, but as Kim Sunggyu, a simple boy of Jeonju province."

'And that includes the truth behind orange girl's disappearance. Am I right, hyung?'  Woohyun feigned a clueless reaction on his face while scratching the back of his head. He childishly expressed, "Too deep that my seven year old brain couldn't comprehend."

Will Woohyun let that happen? No. Why would he do so? He's not a fool to let Sunggyu experience heaven while he bears with the pungent taste of hell. He will do ANYTHING to manipulate EVERYTHING even if it means breaking the rules of the game. How? Well, Nam Woohyun is not a selfish yet shrewd being for no reason.

"You are so cute yet silly, Woohyun," the older man commented as he let out a low laugh.

"But that's the truth," Woohyun giggled, stifling a sheepish smile. "I'm a cutie, but a clueless child."

After saying such words, both of them broke into laughter. The room was filled with laughter, but was soon replaced by quietude.

Breaking the silence, Sunggyu asked, "Anyway, can I ask you something, Woohyun?"

Woohyun who nodded gave him a quick reply, "Yes, what is it, hyung?"

"I know this is something... something very unnecessary to ask, but," the older man said with doubt. "But I want to know it."

"Go on. I am willingly to answer it, hyung," his younger brother willingly answered.

"It's about... about Kim Taeyeon-ssi," Sunggyu admitted.

"Kim... Kim Taeyeon-ssi?" Woohyun muttered as he fidgeted from his seat. 'It couldn't be, right?' 

"Nae, Woohyun," Sunggyu affirmed.

"What about Taeyeon-ssi?" the younger man asked plainly.

He forced to look unaffected although it's killing him inside. He wanted to feel annoyed, but it would make him look bad in front of his hyung. So the reality hits now. His desire of being a good brother to Sunggyu is purely sincere. Yes, he wanted it even before the moment he found something about his past. Yet despite his purest intentions of being at peace with Sunggyu, he wouldn't want to lose his simple happiness just because he's his brother.

Woohyun would not want to lose against the great yet oppressed Sunggyu who got everything except for the heart of the woman he loves. But does he care about that? Well, he cares for himself more. They're brothers who can share with many things in life, but with Kim Taeyeon, heck, that is a different story.

"Although I have not been visiting Hope Café lately, I know she isn't there," Sunggyu said. "I want to know this directly from you. Did she take a leave from work?"

Instead of answering his question, Woohyun shot back a question, "May I know why are you suddenly asking such thing to me, hyung?" He wanted to know first his brother's intention of asking it, so that he could calculate the answer he will tell him.

"I... I encountered her three weeks ago at Jeonju and it seems that she's looking for a place there," the older man explained. "I don't think she's there only for a simple vacation."

Woohyun nodded and confirmed directly, "That is exactly right. She took a leave of absence from work. It's more of personal problems and she requested me to keep it confidential. I don't contact her because she requested me not to do so."

"Ah, algesseumnida," Sunggyu said as a disappointment became visible on his reaction. 'That's the reason why she did not answer my texts and calls. But why do I feel like there's more into it? '

"As a matter of fact, she took an indefinite leave from work," Woohyun revealed. "I don't know when she's coming back. Anyway, you said that you have encountered her there, right? Can you tell me anything about it?"

"That... Well, we have met somewhere there at Jeonju. That was the time I collapsed because of influenza," the executive director narrated. "She was the one who brought me to the hospital and she took care of me while I was sick that's why I'm wondering if she took an absence from work."

"Jeongmallyo? She did that?" Surprised and disgruntled, Woohyun's eyes widened. 'It seems that fate is a very naughty nemesis.'

Sunggyu gave him an approving nod, not having a clue on how his words brought the hell out of his brother who's forcing to be calm in front of him. "She really did. On the day of my release, she disappeared. I looked for her in the house near my mother's house, but I did not find her there. That's when I decided to fly back to Seoul."

"You seem to be interested with her whereabouts lately, hyung," the younger man stated, trying not to sound sarcastic or bitter. 'Because you love her. Should I be surprised? No. I wonder how you would react if the woman of your yore appears to be the same with the woman of your dreams. Do you think I will tell you that? No.'

"I just wanted to thank her for taking care of me. Prior to that, we have encountered each other here in Seoul and she also took care of me because I was also sick at that time," Sunggyu explained in a clarifying manner as possible. "I don't know why but it seems that when we bump with each other, it coincidentally becomes the time I get sick."

He let out a low laugh while reminiscining the encounters he and Kim Taeyeon had. Her presence is enough to make him feel better.  Sunggyu, honestly, is wondering why they meet at an unexpected time and place. If fate finds a way for the two of them to meet, he doesn't know. Despite that, from the bottom of his heart, he feels grateful. He feels grateful that he's given the chance to see the woman of his dreams when he expects it least. Now that he has to fly to Jeonju once again, he's hoping that fate will be kind to him and make the two of them cross each other's paths again.

"Taeyeon-ssi is naturally a kind and helpful person. I remember that one time, she helped me when I was drunk. She beat the bad guys on the streets and even took care of me," Woohyun narrated as if he's trying to brag his own side. 'So that's it. I was sadly longing for her in Seoul and Macau, but there she was taking care of you, hyung.'

He wouldn't just let himself lose with fate being in favor of his hyung though there really isn't any competition between them. Childish as it seems, he hates to be regarded as a loser. Woohyun, despite his good intention of bringing the good ties he has with his brother, isn't a martyr who will let himself lose in the game of love. He loves Kim Taeyeon and nothing and no one, including his brother, can hinder him from getting her heart.

Utterly surprised with his story, Sunggyu stuttered, "Jeongmal? Then, the time that Aunt Jisook told me about your two-week absence from work was—"

"Precisely," Woohyun cut his brother off with his words. He gave him a bright smile and continued, "I told Eomma not to tell anyone about it because I know all of you will worry about me. Well, I was beaten up by those guys, but Taeyeon saved me from them."

Sunggyu's face showed worry and displeasure with such revelation. He wanted to protest why in the world Nam Woohyun would keep such thing from them. That wasn't ordinary for Woohyun's life was almost at stake. But what can he do? He will always be the stubborn kid who wants to do everything in his own way.

"You should have not kept such thing from us. That is very dangerous," Sunggyu expressed in dismay. "Please don't do that again, eo?"

'Are you saying that because you're concerned to me or is it because of Taeyeon?'  Woohyun had the urge to mock at his brother, but he chose to fake a smile. He shouldn't show the bad side of him because that will ruin everything. "Yes, hyung. I won't. But Taeyeon was there. Look at me now. I'm alive, breathing and smiling because of her."

Sunggyu wondered how his brother could smile with that. Being in danger is never pleasing to experience, but seeing Woohyun smile as if it was nothing, he couldn't help, but think that there's something weird going on with his brother. "I am relieved that she was there for you."

"She always is," the younger man stressed. "I am happy that I met a girl, a beautiful and kind angel fallen from heaven."

'You are right. She's a beautiful and kind angel from heaven.'  Sunggyu halfheartedly smile and nodded. "I know."

"Now, have your lunch. I'm sure you skipped breakfast and I won't let you skip your lunch too," Woohyun said, unwrapping the lunchboxes he prepared for his brother.

"Before I do, I want you to join me," the older man requested.

"Okay if that's what the Hamster grandpa says so," he agreed as he continued preparing the lunchboxes on the glass table in the middle of the couches.

"Thank you, Namu," Sunggyu murmured.

"This is it."

An old big house welcomed her eyes. It stands erect an area where few houses can be seen. It's indeed a beautiful pleasure for Kim Taeyeon to finally find the house she has been looking for three weeks now. Jung Saeyi was actually doubtful at first, but eventually gave in to her repetitive pleads.

"It's time to look around and find something that will refresh my brain," Taeyeon said in delight as she unlocked the door with the key that her uncle gave her before. 'Finally, I'm here.'

As the door was unlocked, the young woman freely walked inside the house. Her eyes wandered around. Her heart sank as she tried to familiarize everything that her eyes could see.

"This is wonderful," Taeyeon murmured with her lips curving a genuine smile. "I must have had spent some good memories here."

It was an abandoned house made mostly out of wood. The smell of the house proved how old it is. The things were covered by white cloth. The dust are everywhere, but Taeyeon could care less. All she knew and felt was the joy that she's finally found the house where she spent some time as a child.

"I should have brought a camera with me. Everything here seems to be antique," she described while wandering around. "I feel like I am in a beautiful haunted house."

Why didn't her mother and the rest tell her about this house before? It's the biggest question remaining inside her mind. She also wondered why they wouldn't tell her anything about her childhood and why she could not remember anything during those times. All she knew was her adolescence and adulthood, but nothing really about her childhood. Her parents were very thrifty about it and it makes her think that there is something that she should find out.

"I should go upstairs," she said. "I think I will find more interesting things there. I got a phone with me. I'll just use it as my camera. Ayie!"

"Is that so? Should I go there tomorrow?" Sunggyu who had just finished his lunch, said on the phone.

"Yes, Director Kim. President Nam is summoning you to come here as soon as possible."  Kim Dabi was the one speaking on the line. He's the executive assistant of President Nam Donghwan of Nam Corporation.

"I understand. Please tell Sahjang-nim that I will ask Secretary Lee to book a ticket to Jeonju for me. I will arrive there at ten in the morning," the executive director answered with his face turning stiff while talking on the phone.

"Yes, Director Kim."  the man on the other line politely assured.

"Thank you. Good bye, Kim Dabi-nim," Sunggyu said, fixing his tie with his other hand.

"Good bye, Director Kim,"  these were the last words of Kim Dabi before the phone conversation ended with a beeping sound.

Sunggyu lightly threw his phone on the side and released a sigh.

"What is the problem, hyung?" Woohyun wondered while judging the expression drawn on his brother's face.

"I have to prepare now and fly to Jeonju tonight," the older man answered, apparently not pleased.

"I thought that your flight will be next week," Woohyun murmured with wonder.

"Sahjang-nim is looking for me. There may be a snag with the project and I am expecting that a meeting will be called," Sunggyu explained. "Yes, I am excited to go there, but it's quite irking that changes are made on the last minute. This will definitely bring Kwangsoo-hyung a huge headache since he's the one who adjusts my schedule."

"You should prepare now. I think that's something serious," the younger man suggested.

Sunggyu's expression softened up. "Serious? I guess it's not," the executive director disproved, shooting his brother a genuine smile. "Yet I should not stay still and ignore it. I won't let it become a big problem anyway."

"Taeyeon-noona texted me few minutes ago that she's at the abandoned house of Aunt Saeyi and Uncle Bongdo," the young man said on the phone while gently pushing the grocery cart where he placed a box of cereal and a number of instant noodles. "It was Aunt Saeyi who told her the address of that house."

"MWO? WHY DID YOU LET HER GO THERE ALONE? You know that it is not good for her to be there. Sungjong-ah, you know that we don't want what happened before to recur, right?"  Gongjoo, his mother literally outraged on the other line, making Sungjong wince in pain. "Aigoo! What in the hell did Saeyi eat that she told our Taeng that house?"

"Ouch! Eomma, do you know how painful the hundred decibels of your loud voice is?"  Sungjong complained, pouting childishly. "I did not know it. She just texted me few minutes ago that she's there. I didn't even have a clue on what's going on with noona. Three weeks ago, she said that she's leaving for Jeonju and I was surprised that the day she texted me about it and I dropped by the house, she's gone. Didn't she inform you about it?"

"Taeng did, but she did not tell me why she's there at Jeonju. If your Appa and I can just go there, we'll definitely check on your noona."  his mother lamented.

"She said that she took an indefinite absence from work and I wonder why she did," the young man stated.

"I wonder what crossed inside your sister's mind that she's acting like that? She has been secretive these days,"  his mother muttered.

"I don't know either, Eomma," Sungjong replied.

"Sungjong-ah, are you finished with your exams?"  Gongjoo asked.

"Only two days left before they're finished. Since the semestral break is coming, why don't I just follow noona there?" the young man suggested. "I am worried about her, Eomma. I want to assure that she's doing fine."

"Okay, Jong-ah. You go there during your semestral break. I promise that we'll follow you there soon,"  the old woman said.

"But I wonder why you and Appa frequently go to trips. What are you doing there and when are you coming back?" the young man speculated. "You complain that noona is being secretive, but there you are hiding the truth behind your frequent trips."

"I am sorry, ah dul. We cannot reveal the reason yet, but what I am sure is that this will be for our sake. Trust us,"  his mother guaranteed with certainty. "Did you receive the allowance I sent to you?"

"Yes I did. Hay, I know you wouldn't tell me even if I insist so. Kindly take care of yourselves there. I will trust the two of you, Eomma," Sungjong said, dismissing his curiosity. "I miss you. Always remember that I love you too."

"We love you too, son. Once you arrive there at Jeonju, take care of your noona and yourself too. If your noona asks you anything regarding the forbidden things I have told you before, just keep quiet. Even if she insists so, pretend you don't know anything."  Gongjoo answered back on the other line. "Arasseoyo? I'll hang up now. Bye, Jong-ahdul."

"Nae, I will bear that in mind. Good bye, Eomma," the young man said before he hang up the phone and slid it inside his polo's pocket.

Sungjong sighed in frustration. He's clueless on what's going on with his sister. If he could just leave everything behind, he would not hesitate to follow his sister at Jeonju. 'If noona is there at Jeonju and is at the old house of Aunt Saeyi and Uncle Bongdo, I feel intrigued what her purpose is. Could it be that it is something about—"

The moment his left hand had a hold of a box of flour, he became frozen. Why? There's someone else who had the hold of it too.

Silence.

Sungjong's eyes instantly shifted to that person. Their eyes were glued on each other as if the world has stopped revolving.

Soon, realizing that it's weird for him to act weirdly around the guy, Sungjong gave him a plain look and broke his silence, "Mister, you can have it."

He removed his hold on the box and looked away.

"No, you can have it," the man who was in a casual Friday attire answered, shaking his head. He did what Sungjong did as well.

'Woah! This guy seems to be like the guys I see in elite magazines.'  Sungjong eyed the man from head-to-toe. "O... Okay."

The man looked elegant, good-looking and cool. He seemed not to be the typical pretty boy who got the looks, but someone who has that elegant and captivating charm that the elite guys in Forbes or Time have.

"I'll just get another one," the man politely said, shooting him a smile. He took another box of flour and placed it in his grocery cart.

"Na... nae," Sungjong stuttered, obviously amazed with the pleasant mien of the man. He gaped like a fool who's amazed with the creature his eyes rarely see. 'I am not fanboying over this guy, but I feel like I am seeing an angel right now.'

The man bowed and said, "I'll go ahead."

'Unbelievable! He looks freaking awesome.' Sungjong watched the guy left. After a minute, he closed his mouth and stood straightly. "Aigoo! That guy has that different vibe. Do rich-looking guys have that peculiar aura on them that even their fellow guys could not help but be amazed by them? Very odd."

"Where have you been, Myungsoo-ya?" Jang Dongwoo questioned while slumping his body against the black couch on the living room of Kim Myungsoo's flat.

"Hyung-nim, why are you here?" Myungsoo muttered, putting down the grocery bags he was holding on the floor. He sat beside thr older man.

"I wanted to visit you, Myung-dongsaeng," the older man replied. "It's been a while since we friends had a bonding."

"I get that. Well, I am aware that you know the passcode of this flat, but you should at least inform me if you're coming," Myungsoo nonchalantly stated. "Anyway, didn't we plan to have a get together on Friday night?"

"But Howon, Sungyeol and Woohyun informed me that they couldn't go with us because of business matters," Dongwoo explained.

"Really? Sheesh! Those hyungs! They even bragged that their schedules are not hectic the last time we met, but now they're whining that their schedules are full," the younger man mocked. "I know this would happen though. The plan is scrapped off now."

"Yes, it is. Oh, I see you bought a lot of goods from the grocery," the older man commented.

"I did, Dino-hyung. My fridge is empty that's why I have to fill it up again," Myungsoo responded with an approving nod.

"Since I am here, I am going to help you out. I can even help you clean this whole flat," Dongwoo willingly volunteered.

"Really?" the younger man asked.

"Really," Dongwoo affirmed, patting the younger man's head.

Delighted with his friend's offer, Myungsoo beamed, "That's great!"

"In Na-eonni, are you really coming back to Seoul?" Taeyeon asked the person whom she's talking to on the phone.

"Yes, Taeng. I am really coming back to Seoul. My family is going to transfer there tomorrow. We're going to permanently reside in the city to grab more job opportunities,"  it was Yoo In Na, Taeyeon's best friend who was speaking on the other line. "I actually have a job offer at a Café at Cheonggu-dong as a pastry chef."

"Really? At Cheonggu-dong?" the younger woman asked.

"Yes, Taeng. I don't want to miss the opportunity that's why I'll bid my farewell here at Busan. Isn't that a great news because we'll see each other more often?"  In Na confirmed in a delighted tone of speaking. "I know that you also work somewhere at Cheonggu-dong."

"Ah, about that... I," Taeyeon said in a descending voice. She heaved a sigh. Of course, it's a great news for her that her best friend is finally transferring to the city, but the thing is that she's not there and it will be impossible for them to bump on each other for the time being. "I... I actually filed an indefinite leave from my work."

Her friend immediately became surprised with such news. Having no clue with what's going on with her friend who she hasn't seen for almost a year, In Na stuttered, "Mw–mwo? Wae? Why... why did you take a leave? Is there something going on with you?"

"It's something I could not explain," Taeyeon honestly stated. "But I guess I did it for my own sake. Maybe I'll just consider this as a way of unwinding stress."

"I am sorry, Taeyeon. I know I have not been able to contact you for a year now that's why I don't have any clue on what's going on with you and your family,"  the older woman apologetically expressed. "So where are you now?"

"It is okay, In Na-eonni. I apologize too for not contacting you," Taeyeon answered. "By the way, I am now here at Jeonju. To be precise, I'm now here at the old house of my Aunt & Uncle, but I stay at our house here."

"At Jeonju? Did something bad happen? Where is Aunt Gongjoo and Uncle Ilbong or even Sungjong?"  her friend asked.

"No, I am okay. Eomma and Appa are at Mokpo because they're settling something whilst Sungjong is busy with his exams at Seoul," she explained.

"Arasseoyo, arasseoyo. What are your plans now? I know you wouldn't tell me the real reason why you are there even if I force you,"  In Na stated. "Someone like you would never leave work just like that."

"I am uncertain about it, but I guess I need to stay here for awhile," Taeyeon answered.

"Just call me if you need anything. You know that I am willing to help and listen to you. I want to fill up those times I was not there for you,"  her friend mumbled on the other line. "I will wait for you to come back in Seoul, but if you really need my presence, I will head there without further ado."

"Thank you, In Na-eonni. Please do well in Seoul. Hwaiting," the younger woman said, trying to cheer up the mood of their conversation.

"You are very welcome. I miss you, Taeyeon. I hope we'll see each other soon. Please also do well there,"  In Na replied.

"I promise that I will. Annyeong, In Na-eonni," Taeyeon assured.

"Annyeong, Taeng-dongsaeng,"  In Na said before the phone conversation finally ended.

Taeyeon felt better. Hearing the voice of her best friend who she hasn't seen for a year, it washed away the burden inside her heart. Momentarily, she continued wandering around the house. She saw the empty picture frames hanged against the wall. There was even an empty book shelf which was surrounded by dusts.

"Why are they empty?" Taeyeon wondered.

The house might have made her feel welcomed, but she felt empty seeing every corner of it, just like how her mind was emptied of memories that she should have known. Seeing the house did not help her remember anything. Perhaps, it's not yet the right time for her to remember certain things about the past. There's a right time for everything and she knows those pieces will come back when she expects it least.

'I will check out the garden and if I still don't have a clear grasp of anything, I'll just go back the other day,'  Taeyeon sighed as she walked around. 'I wouldn't want to waste my time touring here without getting anything useful for my mind.'

But the phone rang. It ruined her attempt of going downstairs and heading towards the garden.

She slid her finger against the glassy surface of her phone, answering the call. Taeyeon cleared and spoke up on the line, "Yobosaeyo?"

"Annyeong haseyo. Is this Ms. Kim Taeyeon?"  a husky-voiced woman responded.

Wondering who it was, she said, "Annyeong haseyo. Yes, this is Kim Taeyeon speaking. Who is this?"

"This is Soo Jin-ah, the landlady of the house where your family rents,"  the woman stated on the other line.

"Ah, it is you, Mrs. Soo. What is the purpose of your call?" Taeyeon asked innocently although deep inside her, she got a notion of the reason why that woman called.

It's quite surprising for her that the landlady was speaking calmly, a great contrast with her noisy and whiny attitude who would shout at them recklessly whenever they're unable to pay the rent of that house in Seoul for the last three months.

Back then, the house was theirs, but unfortunate events happened that led Lee Ilbong to borrow a large sum of money from Mrs. Soo, which eventually led to the agreement that the house will serve as the collateral after failing to complete the payment last September. Now, as what Mrs. Soo wanted, the Lee family becomes the boarder of that house. The house will only become theirs if they pay the debt they owe her with the inclusion of the interest, if both combined, will sum up as a bloody money that the simple Taeyeon herself wouldn't be able to pay alone.

"Apparently, I called you because of the unpaid balance you have for this month,"   explained the landlady, Soo Jin-ah. "No one stays here in your house and I wonder where all of you have gone although Sungjong-ssi stays here at some times. Taeyeon-ssi, you know what I can do whenever people tend to neglect debts, right? You wouldn't want me to become an irated woman, would you?"

Hearing such sarcastic speaking from the woman, Taeyeon gulped. Catching the ire of a feisty woman like the fifty-year old Soo Jin-ah will not be a very pleasant thing to do. That woman blabbers too much spite that's too vertiginous. If she does not follow what the blabbermouthed woman wants—to pay on time—once they come back in Seoul, they will end up on the cobblestoned pavements of the city.

"Algesseumnida, Mrs. Soo. I'm here at a province, but I will be sending my brother money later and he'll be giving it to you," Taeyeon explained in the calmest way as possible.

"I don't care wherever you go or even if you don't come back. As long as you pay your debt, we are in good terms,"  the woman indifferently stated. "I'll trust your words, Ms. Kim."

"Rest assured that I won't break my promise, Mrs. Soo. Please trust me," the young woman guaranteed confidently.

"Okay. Good,"  said the landlady who immediately hanged up after speaking up.

The repetitive beeping sound resonated on the line. Taeyeon's face scrunched up, realizing that the irritating woman hanged up without even giving her a chance to bid a polite farewell on the line. Mrs. Soo has always been like that, not a surprise though.

She glared and scoffed, "What the! She hanged up just like that. Tsh, all she says is money, money and money. Anyway, I have to go to a bank and withdraw money or that monster will fume in anger. I have to text Sungjong now."

Without much ado, she unlocked her phone again and sent a message to her brother. Taeyeon said,

"Sungjong, this is your noona. I will be sending you money to pay our monthly rent to Mrs. Soo. Kindly claim it later otherwise the creepy woman will throw us outside our house there at Seoul. Thank you. Keep safe. 사랑해, 동생이."

After a minute, she received a response from her brother:

"아이고! 아이고! I almost forgot about it. 미안... I understand, noona. Please take care. 너무 보고십다. Come back soon.ㅜ ㅜ ㅜ 사랑해, 탱-누님. P.S  Thanks for the money you'll give."

"This rascal. Such a forgetful kid," Taeyeon muttered as she pouted her lips. 'I will just go back here next time. There's always a next time anyway.'

"Hyung-nim, what did you eat that you want us to stroll around this place?" Lee Sungyeol, seemed to be irked, asked while tying the laces of his rubber shoes. "You know that we're busy with work."

"Don't complain, Choding. We are all busy and I know that our Friday night bonding will be postponed that's why I want us to bond here at the park," Dongwoo explained. "So let us enjoy today and forget the real world for the time being."

"Here? Are you serious? You know that this place is suitable for children," Hoya said in annoyance as he folded his arms. "But not for adults like us."

"Stop the complaints, Howon and Sungyeol. Don't spoil this moment. I beg you two," Dongwoo requested, raising an eyebrow.

"It is just unfortunate that Woohyun-hyung can't join us because there's no opportunity for him to leave his commitments," Myungsoo said in disappointment.

"That's the price of proving himself worthy of bearing the name of Nam," Sungyeol commented in a candid manner.

"I can't say that it is a bad thing because it is actually nice to see Woohyun-hyung being responsible," Hoya expressed. "Although it does not change the fact that he got small chance of inheriting the highest position of their company. Everybody knows who will bear the crown."

"It is Kim Sunggyu-hyungnim who will," Sungyeol answered directly. "We all know that. Aigoo! I really miss playing with Gyuzizi-hyung now. He wanted to join us here, but he had to prepare for his flight tonight."

"Jinjjayo? Did he say where is he heading to?" Dongwoo asked.

"Probably, it's in Jeonju. I have heard from one of the employees under him that he's embarking another hotel  project which shall be constructed at Jeonju," Myungsoo inferred sensibly.

"You got some internal sources, huh," Sungyeol joked.

"Well, I do," Myungsoo straightforwardly answered, giving the older man a wink.

"But isn't it hard for Woohyun-hyung's part that no matter how hard he tries, Gyu-hyung will still reign in the end?" Hoya questioned although deep inside him, he knows the answer.

"I know you know it, Howon. That question is obviously a joke," Dongwoo responded, shaking his head. "If you were in his shoes, you will have a deeper understanding on how it actually feels."

"That for sure. What can we do?" Myungsoo stated. "Yet the good thing now is that I can see that their relationship is somehow improving and I am happy to see that."

"All of us are happy because we are their best friends," Dongwoo expressed, stifling a smile. "That's what our friendship for decades and a half now is for."

"You are right, Dino-hyung. That is what our friendship for!" Sungyeol assented.

All of a sudden, Hoya broke his silence with his sarcasm, "But for now, let us cut the drama off because we're here to have fun, remember?"

"Okay, okay. The Lee Ho attacks again," Sungyeol talked back, pulling off a sardonic response.

"Ho? Tsh," Hoya muttered in disbelief. "The ruthless, useless and childish Choding guy had the guts to speak like that."

"Ya! Did you just call me useless, ruthless and childish? You think highly of yourself, y guy," Sungyeol complained as he shot the older man a childish glare. "You complained about the drama of our conversation, but it's actually you who started it first!"

Not amused, but pissed with the younger man's words, Hoya rolled his eyes and moderately pushed him. With an intimidating look, he hissed, "Yes, I did call you useless, ruthless and childish. Wae? Isn't that the truth?"

Completely irked with such offensive words, Sungyeol yelled, "YOU HO, TAKE THOSE WORDS BACK!"

With Lee Sungyeol's outrage, some people  walking around the park looked at them as if they were crazy.

'This is no good. These hyungs are really unbelievable.' Because Myungsoo sensed that the simple misunderstanding might complicate and end up with a fistful scene, he stood between the two guys who had just threw insults against each other.

He said, trying to pacify the two men, "Hyung-nims, please calm down. The people around are looking at us as if we're nuts. Stop the trash talks. Be at peace with each other. Do you even remember why we're here? We are here to have fun."

"L-kun is right," Dongwoo said, pulling Hoya who attempted to attack the tall man. "Stop the fight and bickers. We are to have fun, not to start a brawl that will put us all to shame."

"That guy was the one who started it. If his filthy mouth did not spit out useless words, I wouldn't get angry," Hoya reasoned out, gritting his teeth in anger.  'You Choding guy, watch your mouth. I'll let you pass this time, but I won't next time.'

"But is that reasonable for you to call me ruthless, useless and childish?" Sungyeol questioned. 'If you aren't older than me by few months, I would have crushed you into pieces.'

"I know what you both are thinking, hyung-nims. Ceasefire, please," Myungsoo pleaded.

Hoya let out a sigh after calming himself up. Realizing that it was too childish of him to fret over something petty, he apologized, "I get it. I am sorry. I just burst out bec—"

 

All of a sudden, the scenario was intervened when the apples from the basket that a woman was holding accidentally fell on the grou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter