34: From Bitter to Sweet

Can U Smile?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

From Bitter to Sweet

[Song of the Day: INFINITE - 24 Hours]

April 28 was an ordinary day. The so-called workaholic director of Nam Corporation was stuck as usual to his seat and was busily doing a pile of paperworks. Per usual, the man was enclosed in the four corners of his spacious office.

"Hay. I thought I will be able to finish this Hainan Project last year. What have you done again, Kim Sunggyu?" He let out a sigh before he continued reviewing the contracts.

While doing his work, a series of beeps from his phone was heard.

He held the phone using his left hand and answered the call. "Yobosaeyo? This is Kim Sunggyu speaking. May I know who this is?"

The woman on the other line replied, "Ah-dul! Happy Birthday! Don't you remember that today is your birthday? How can you be so forgetful? Aigoo! Even if you do not tell me, I know that you are busy doing your paperworks."

Sungggyu let out a deep breath. 'Oh right. Today is my birthday. It does not matter anyway. I am just a day older again,' he thought himself sadly.

"Gomapseumnida, Eommoni. I am sorry if I am not able to visit you there at Jeonju. I do not mind it too much. What is the big deal? I would rather spend my time productively. I have duties to fulfill, and even such things cannot disturb."

"Aigoo! Seems that it is contrary of your mood during your birthday last year. You were happy back then. Not just happy, but also happily in love."

[~]

"Saengil chukhahamnida, saengil chukhahamnida! Saranghaneun, Sunggyu-ah! Saengil chukhahamnida!" They sang happily as they clapped their hands.

"Okay, okay! Yeoreobun, I am the emcee, Kang Junhee! Today is the twenty-fifth birthday of the wonderful, cool and kind, Kim Sunggyu-hyungnim! Let us hear his speech before he blow the candles!"

"Speech? Do I still have to do that?" Sunggyu hesitantly asked.

The child nodded his head as he answered back, "Nae, hyung. Do not be a killjoy, okay?"

"Oh wait, what do I have to say?" The man asked innocently.

Junhee replied as he crossed his arms, "Hyung-nim, just say something. Today is your birthday, not mine."

"Alright, alright. Kamsahamnida, MC Junhee." Sunggyu smiled as he bowed his head down. "Everyone, I thank you for wishing me a happy birthday. I am very grateful that I am able to celebrate this birthday of mine with all of you. If not because of you, I would have spent my birthday again together with the piles of works that I have to finish."

All of them chuckled after hearing his initial speech. Taeyeon joked, "Mr. Workaholic slash a mister whose is glued on his office chair."

They all laughed hardly after hearing her joke, except for Sunggyu who pouted his lips childishly, whining in protest, "Ya! Stop embarrassing me, Ms. Apathetic, Cold and Grumpy Taengjumma slash Ms. Scaredy Cat."

"Aish! Take those words back!" Taeyeon hissed.

He playfully teased, "Ani! You do it first. Take back what you have said to me before I take my words back!"

"Ani! Do it first!" She muttered, crossing her arms as she pretended an angry look.

He confidently answered back, "Anio! I won't! You said it first, so you take it back before I do so!"

"Whatever. Happy Birthday!" She sarcastically retorted back.

Sunggyu sarcastically said, "Kamsahamnida!"

"Aiyee! I can feel a good chemistry!" All of a sudden, Mrs. Lee teased the two playfully. "Hey! Everyone, can you feel it too?"

"Aigoo! I can feel it too." Sunhye affirmed.

"Me three!" Junhee added.

The tallest child, Kyusung raised his left hand as he yelled, "Me four!"

"Me five!" Riyoo added, raising her hand as well.

Hyuntae exclaimed, "Me six!"

"Me seven!" Hyunseong raised his hand as well, happily throwing Sunggyu and Taeyeon a teaseful gaze.

Mother Song hesitantly added, "Umm.. Me eight?"

"Me NINE!" Mrs. Kim excitedly said, raising her hand happily, amused with how the two flushed in embarrassment after being teased by everyone. "Can you feel it too, Sunggyu and Taeyeon?"

Both were awfully speechless. While laughing hardly with both of their eyes seeing how the two pouted in defeat, Mother Song decided to cut off the laughter, "Okay, okay. Let us stop teasing the two of them. Let us allow Sunggyu-ssi to continue what he was saying a whle ago."

The man cleared his throat before continuing his birthday speech, "This is actually the first time I will say a birthday speech because I usually deliver short speeches during board meetings. Anyway, I would like to sincerely express my gratitude to everyone with me today. To the Almighty God who created me as me, I am here sincerely expressing my gratitude to you. To my Eomma, thank you for allowing me to live in this world. If not because of you, there will be no Kim Sunggyu who exists in this world." He turned his gaze to his mother who smiled sweetly at him.

He continued, "To everyone of you here at the Little Paradise Orphanage, I am very grateful for letting me celebrate this precious day with you. Mother Song, Mrs. Lee and the children, thank you very much. To my grandparents, father and even to my younger brother who might not here right at this moment, I am very thankful to them as well for being a part of my life."

He paused for a moment as he stole a glance of the woman who was standing beside Mrs. Lee. Sunggyu added, "Lastly, I am also thankful that I have here today with me a very special person who has been making me smile genuinely for the past few months. I never thought that I will be this lucky to have a new person as a part of my life. She might be cold and apathetic towards me at some times, but I am thankful that she allowed me to be a part of her life as well, as her new friend."

Mrs. Lee nudged Taeyeon's elbow as she whispered, "Aigoo! Isn't that too heartwarming? You are lucky to have him."

Taeyeon just trailed her g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter