Chapter ten

Lost Memories

 

Chapter ten.

 

“What are we doing here? I haven’t been to a library since university days.” Jaejoong said as he entered the library with Yunho.

“Exactly, maybe you’ll remember more when you see different places and people. Remember when we had to do some research for our thesis? Do you remember what happened?” Yunho asked as he led Jaejoong to the book catalogue (because in 2004 I don't think there was an electronic database of the library, at least our library didn’t have one). “I needed a certain book but we couldn’t find it. Try to remember.”

“Yeh. So?” Jaejoong asked confused by his friends’ actions.

“What happened next?” Yunho continued to pry Jaejoong’s memories but Jaejoong just shrugged. “You were complaining like there was no tomorrow because we were cramming like crazy to pass our thesis on time and yet I wouldn’t stop looking for that book. Remember?”

“So? What exactly am I supposed to remember? The book title? Can’t you just google that?”

“You were supposed to remember me.” _____ whispered as she came behind Jaejoong with a book on hand.

“You again? Ah! That book!” Jaejoong took the book from _____’s hands and gave it to Yunho. “Isn’t this the book you’re looking for? Now you have it. Let’s leave.” Jaejoong said and walked towards the exit.

“That’s what you said and did the first time we met” What _____ said then made Jaejoong stop on his tracks and experience something he never had before : a blurry flashback.

 

 

“Hey! Isn’t this the book you’re looking for?” Jaejoong takes a book from a girls grasp and gives it to Yunho. “Now you have it. Let’s go finish this thing.”

 

 

Well, it wasn’t really a flashback like the ones we see on the movies. It was more like snippets of the actual scenario, and mostly voices, problem was he couldn't recognize to whom they belonged. Once he got out of his trance he was shook to the core. He looked at _____ and shook his head to clear it. “Stop planting images in my mind. I don’t know you. I don’t remember you.” He told _____ and then turned to his friend. “Why do you keep pushing me towards her? Is she a cousin of yours. I don’t like her, sorry. So please stop this. I’m with Shae and that’s how it should be.” And with that he storms off the library.

Yunho follows him and stops him outside the library by Jaejoong’s car. “You listen to me Kim Jaejoong.” A mad Yunho restrained Jaejoong by the lapel of his jacket. “And listen to me well. She is your wife. Mother of your daughter – ”

_____ tried to interrupt Yunho by reminding him what the doctor said but Yunho would not stop his scolding.

“…Mother of your daughter, Kim Yumi, who misses her appa. She’s the love of your wortherless life. You and Shae it ended six years ago. Do you understand. Get it through that thick head of – ”

“No!” Jaejoong roughly shoved Yunho away from him. He points at _____ who is just a few feet away from him. “She is nothing to me.” He looks _____ from head to toe and back up “You are nothing to me. Don’t you think that is why I don’t remember you.” He started moving towards his car again.

“I understand” _____ says, barely loud enough for Jaejoong to hear, as she walks towards him. “I understand that I mean nothing to you. I accept that. But please, please, try to remember Yumi.” She looks up to him with pleading eyes which threaten to spill tears at any moment. “Please try to remember her. Come to see her, talk and play with her. Please. She misses her dad. If you never loved me before the accident I can assure you, you loved Yumi. You were a wonderful father.”

Jaejoong opened the door and sped away.