41.

Revenge of School Hopeful

"They won't even care about us whether we leave the room or not."

Taekwoon sighed as he interlaced his hand with Jaehwan's.

 

"Should I leave then?"

He glared at Jaehwan for awhile and softly chuckled.

 

"Don't be stupid."

He lightly knocked Jaehwan's head.

 

"We're back."

Jaehwan announced to everyone in the ward room as the both of them walked in awkwardly.

 

"Where did you both go? I was getting worried."

He stoned at Hakyeon's question for awhile. Should he tell?

 

"Uh...I was actu-"

He suddenly felt Taekwoon covering his mouth.

 

"We went out to have a small chat."

Taekwoon spoke and faked a smile to Hakyeon, who gave them a suspicious look.

 

"Okay...I'll believe you."

He sighed in relief and dragged Jaehwan inside and they both sat on the same seats they were sitting at earlier on.

 

The atmosphere in the room then became silent. Nobody knew what to talk about and nobody had the mood to joke around either.

 

"When I'm gone..."

Hakyeon suddenly spoke and everyone looked at him, except for Taekwoon who was slowly falling asleep.

 

"Wonshik will replace my position...So he'll be in charge of you guys. So please listen to him, especially Taekwoonie."

He smiled and looked at Taekwoon, who was already sleeping with his head rested on Jaehwan's shoulder.

 

He then softly sighed and formed his lips into a thin line.

 

"Shouldn't Taekwoon hyung be the leader instead? Since he's the second oldest...And he understands the responsibilites and important things of your role too."

Sanghyuk softly asked and looked at Hakyeon.

 

"Just let him be. I didn't want to be the leader anyway."

Taekwoon suddenly replied back, causing Sanghyuk to have a mini heart attack.

 

"You scared me. But alright...If you want it that way."

Sanghyuk sighed and hung his head.

 

"I trust Wonshik in this role more. So don't question me anymore."

Taekwoon immediately felt like Hakyeon just literally threw a rock at his heart.

 

Hakyeon trusted Wonshik more than he trusted Taekwoon...his best friend.

 

"So now you trust that guy more than you trust me?"

He immediately moved his head away from Jaehwan's shoulder and looked at Hakyeon in disbelief.

 

"Yes. I do. You want to know why?"

He kept quiet and slightly nodded.

 

"Because you were never there for me when I needed you most."

He then froze at his spot for awhile.

 

Never there? He felt that it was more like Hakyeon didn't even tell any problems he had to Taekwoon, unless it had to do with Wonshik, or just when he spotted Hakyeon trying to cut himself.

 

"Aren't you the same? Are you trying to put the blame on me when you never told me any of your problems at all?"

He shot up from his seat, slightly raising his voice.

 

Jaehwan then immediately dragged him back down.

 

"Don't be rude."

He softly hissed at Taekwoon, who rolled his eyes.

 

"I do tell you! But everytime I want to speak to you, you just plug in your earpiece and completely ignore everything I tell you!"

Hakyeon yelled and sat up, looking at Taekwoon.

 

"All these times we spent as best friends, I guess I was the only one who really treated you like a best friend and just someone bothering and disturbing you everyday."

He took a deep breath and leaned back on the pillow again.

 

"We need to talk again."

Jaehwan suddenly spoke as he grabbed Taekwoon's wrist and dragged them out of the room, closing the door.

 

"Yah, what is wrong with you?"

He immediately snapped as he glared at Taekwoon, who just kept quiet and looked everywhere around him, except for Jaehwan's eyes.

 

"Can you just imagine, you lying on the hospital bed, dying, while your best friend or maybe even me insulting you till you die? You like that?"

Taekwoon sighed and finally looked at Jaehwan.

 

"At least I'm telling him the truth. And I won't even have the chance to tell any of these things to him after he's gone, so why not now."

He folded his arms and looked away.

 

Jaehwan kept quiet afterwards. Taekwoon was right. How could he tell Hakyeon any of these things after he's gone?

 

He then thought for awhile before he spoke again.

 

"B-But it's still wrong to ruin his mood just like that..."

He softly mumbled and hung his head in defeat.

 

"It's more like he's the one ruining my mood."

Taekwoon growled back in annoyance and lightly knocked Jaehwan's head.

 

"You may be the one who's mood is ruined but you're not the one dying! Are you going to let him spend his last hours in anger?"

Taekwoon folded his arms and closed his eyes, pretending to not hear Jaehwan.

 

"Yah! Are you ignoring me?"

Jaehwan slightly raised his voice, folding his arms as well.

 

"Oh, I see, you ARE going to just ignore me like that. Fine. I'll go see your best friend while you probably stick to your pride. Don't come crying to me when N hyung really dies." 

He smirked and walked back into the room, leaving Taekwoon standing alone outside.

 

Taekwoon then finally opened his eyed and realised that the door had just closed.

 

He softly groaned and sat on one of the seats beside him.

 

He wanted to go inside, but at the same time he didn't want to either.

 

He then suddenly saw Hongbin walking towards him.

 

"Hi...Taekwoon hyung."

Hongbin smiled at him and entered the room.

 

Taekwoon decided to ignore him, since it would be weird if any of the nurse or doctor saw him saying hello to nobody.

 

"H-Hi..."

Hongbin softly greeted as he bowed to everyone, who was staring at him with widened eyes.

 

"I thought it was Taekwoon."

Jaehwan spoke in annoyance as sighed as he leaned back on his seat.

 

Hongbin then swallowed his saliva and awkwardly stepped closer into the room.

 

He slowly approached Hakyeon and slightly smiled at him.

 

"I'm here to visit you, hyung."

He handed Hakyeon a rose from his pocket, which he possibly just did magic to make it appear.

 

"Of course you're here to visit him. You're not a devil that's going to kill him right now, right?"

Ravi spoke and burst out laughing.

 

"Aish, you and your lame jokes."

Hakyeon lightly smacked Wonshik's hand and sighed.

 

"Thanks for the rose."

He smiled at Hongbin and placed the rose on the side table.

 

"Aren't you mad at me? You're in this horrible state now all because of me."

Hongbin clasped his hands together and hung his head, feeling guilty after saying it.

 

"But I was the one who made you do this to me. And what's the point of being mad at you when I'm already dying."

He sighed and bit his bottom lip.

 

He then looked up at checked the time on the clock that was hung on the wall.

 

"3.15pm"

 

"Do you have to go soon?"

He slightly jumped when Hakyeon suddenly asked that question.

 

"N-No, why?"

He stuttered as he faked a smile to Hakyeon.

 

"Then why are you looking at the clock?"

He then chuckled in embarassment and quickly thought of an excuse.

 

"Just wondering what time it is now."

He replied back and sat beaide Hakyeon on the bed.

 

He could feel that everyone in the room was looking at him, but he thought that it might be awkward if he looked at them or anything.

 

The atmosphere then grew quiet for awhile.

 

"I'm going out to find Taekwoon hyung."

Jaehwan got up from his seat and left the room.

 

He then saw Taekwoon still sitting there, staring at the blank wall infront of him.

 

"Are you really planning to stay here until Hakyeon dies?"

He immediately snapped at Taekwoon and folded his arms.

 

After a few seconds, his words were totally ignored.

 

"You're such an idiot!"

He forcefully pushed Taekwoon and glared at him.

 

"I don't get why I'm even dating such an heartless guy!"

He rolled his eyes and stomped away.

 

Suddenly, Sanghyuk came out as well.

 

"What happened? I could hear Jaehwan hyung screaming from inside."

He gently closed the door and sat beside Taekwoon.

 

"You don't need to know about this. You won't understand."

Taekwoon replied back and sighed as he hung his head.

 

"You all always treat me like a kid. I might be the youngest but sometimes I understand things more than you all do. Are you just going to leave Jaehwan angry like that for the rest of the day? He's obviously waiting for you to chase after him right now and apologise."

He then looked at Sanghyuk.

 

"Stop looking at me like that. Go look for him."

Sanghyuk slightly smiled and ran back into the room.

 

 "Annoying..."

Taekwoon softly cursed as he stood up from his seat and headed towards the direction where Jaehwan went.

 

A minute later, he found Jaehwan standing infront of a bending machine buying a can of drink.

 

He stoned at his spot for a moment in disbelief and approached Jaehwan afterwards.

 

"The angry Jaehwannie is buying a drink."

He spoke as he shoved his hands into his pockets and looked at Jaehwan.

 

"What do you expect me to do? Be emotional and jump out of the window? I can do that if you really wish for it to happen."

He immediately took one hand out and smacked Jaehwan's head.

 

"Don't be stupid...I need you."

He softly mumbled those last few words and looked away in embarassment.

 

Jaehwan slightly smiled and grabbed his drink and started walking with Taekwoon catching up immediately.

 

"I'm still angry at you."

He sipped on his drink and kept himself a few distance away from Taekwoon to avoid him.

 

But Taekwoon still kept his mouth shut and continued walking beside Jaehwan.

 

"You called me heartless. So why should I apologise? You're the one who should be apologising first."

He calmly replied and stopped walking when he realised that Jaehwan had stopped.

 

"I hate you, you ing !"

Jaehwan suddenly shouted as he threw his can into the bin and ran towards the stairs and ran up.

 

Taekwoon frozed at his spot for awhile with his eyes widened in shock, not knowing what had just happened.

 

He then ran up the stairs as well and reached the rooftop, most likely where Jaehwan was since there were no where else for him to go.

 

He immediately spotted Jaehwan sitting on the ground, hugging his knees and silently sniffing.

 

He slowly approached Jaehwan with a worried look on his face.

 

'Maybe I should have apologised to him.'

He thought to himself as he stepped closer.

 

"Go away Taekwoon."

Jaehwan suddenly snapped, causing Taekwoon to slightly jump in shock.

 

Taekwoon then sat beside him and hugged him.

 

"I'm sorry."

He softly apologised and lightly pecked Jaehwan's cheek.

 

"You're always like this. Apologising when I'm like this."

Jaehwan shoved Taekwoon away and buried his face on his legs.

 

"I promise I won't do it again, alright?"

Taekwoon sat back up and scooted closer towards Jaehwan and hugged his knees as well.

 

"Jagiya. Don't be angry."

He planted a soft kiss on Jaehwan's cheek again.

 

"We still have to see Hakyeon. He only has 4 hours to live, remember?"

He softly sighed and looked at Jaehwan worriedly.

 

"You're such an idiot, Jung Taekwoon. I don't even know why we're dating."

Jaehwan groaned and burst into tears again.

 

"I'll tell you why."

Taekwoon gently lifted Jaehwan's head and faced him.

 

"Because I need you and you need me. Without each other we're nothing."

He softly whispered to Jaehwan as he wiped Jaehwan's tears away with his thumb.

 

"Looking at you crying like this makes me feel hurt because I'm the reason why you're crying."

He softly sighed and hugged Jaehwan again.

 

"You should be glad I gave up being straight just to be with you."

He chuckled and the strands of Jaehwan's hair.

 

Jaehwan then hugged Taekwoon back after a few seconds and immediately buried his face on Taekwoon's shoulder.

 

"Pabo."

He softly mumbled and smiled.

 

Taekwoon then pulled away from the hug and ruffled Jaehwan's hair.

 

"Come on, we have to see Hakyeon for the last time. We might not be able to talk to him but I know he'll surely remember us forever."

He smiled and stood up, dragging Jaehwan up as well.

 

"I wasted my money on the can drink."

Jaehwan suddenly muttered as he pouted.

 

"I'll buy you a drink later."

Taekwoon chuckled and headed back to the ward room with his hands interlaced with Jaehwan's.

 

"We're back."

He announced as they both entered the room and sat on the same spot they were at earlier on.

 

He then looked at Sanghyuk and smiled at him for awhile, mentally thanking him and hoping that Sanghyuk would get his message.

 

"What happened just now? It was like the first time I'm hearing Jaehwan shouting. In an angry tone."

Hakyeon looked at them worriedly, along with Ravi and Hongbin, since they didn't know what was going on.

 

"It's nothing. We've settled it already."

Taekwoon slightly smiled at Hakyeon as his thumb gently Jaehwan's hand.

 

"Don't worry about us. Your health is important right now."

Hakyeon chuckled and sighed afterwards, not knowing what to do.

 

"I can't believe I'm dying like this."

He softly mumbled, loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

 

"Hyung...I have something to say."

He immediately looked at Hongbin, as well as everyone else.

 

"I-I actually died in this room. And I got sent to the hospital exactly the same time you did. I died at 7.30 pm...So the same thing is going to happen to you."