Promise

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                        “Are you crazy?” Peniel yelled, “That place is haunted! Sungjae’s not going there.”

            Ilhoon clenched his fist. He hated the haunted school, especially after what happened to his brother. Still, he couldn’t show weakness in front of the kingkas.

            “Tch,” Ilhoon clicked his teeth. “That place isn’t haunted. It’s dusty and probably just filled with germs.

            “Oh, it’s haunted alright.” The straight-faced kingka, Leo, spoke up. “My sister was there when the six boys went missing. According to her, they had planned to stay all night in the library, but the next morning the library was completely trashed.”

            “I can’t stay there!” Sungjae cried out in fear.

            “Then I guess I’ll just toss Mr. Banana in the shredder.” Ravi said with a smirk.

            “THAT’S NOT FAIR!” Peniel yelled.

            “Too bad,” Ravi stepped away. “He’s too old to be playing with toys, anyway.”

            “Fine,” Sungjae surrendered. “I’ll do it. I’ll stay at the old school tonight.”

            Peniel and Ilhoon’s eyes widened, hearing the scared boy’s agreement.

            “Now, hold it there, Ravi,” N spoke up for his blonde friend. “How can we be sure he will stay at the school all night?”

            “Good point.” Ravi answered. “He could chicken out and just say he stayed.”

            “I have an idea,” Ken commented, “take a picture, one picture at night and another photo of the same spot at sunrise. If you show us the photos on your phone, we’ll give you back the banana.”

            Sungjae sighed, “Fine.”

            The kingkas walked away laughing. The leader, however, paused and turned toward the group of three. “Have fun disappearing, dweeb.”

            “You can’t do this, Sungjae.” Peniel advised, as the three boys passed their school gates. “That place is terrifying.”

            “But...Mr. Banana-”

            “Sungjae,” Ilhoon spoke, “you can’t go there. We’ll find another way to get your banana back. It’s not worth it.”

            Sungjae clenched his fist. “But I’m not a baby. And that place can’t be as scary as everyone says. Maybe those boys just ran away or something. They probably didn’t die, right?”

            Peniel placed a hand on Sungjae’s shoulder, shaking his head. They both noticed the solemn expression forming on Ilhoon’s face. Sungjae immediately shut his mouth, lowering his head.

            “Sorry, Ilhoon,” Sungjae apologized, “I didn’t mean to bring that up.”

            Peniel and Sungjae sighed. The two of them were the only ones in school who knew of Ilhoon’s brother. He could never talk about it to anyone else. Ilhoon felt guilty of his brother’s disappearance. The last thing he said to Jaesoon was a wish for him to disappear. Every night he’d think of his brother and it would, more than often, affect his moods from day to day. Peniel and Sungjae were able to deal with Ilhoon’s constant depression, and supported him through thick and thin.

            “It’s fine. It’s not your fault Jaesoon disappeared,” Ilhoon sighed, “I’ve gotten over that, and I’ve accepted the fact that Jaesoon is probably dead. I can live with it, but I refuse to let you make the same mistake he did. Sungjae, promise me you won’t go to that school. Please?”

            Sungjae sighed. His banana plushie was important to him, but Ilhoon’s feelings were a bit more conspicuous. “Ok, Ilhoon. I won’t go.”

            Ilhoon smiled slightly, placing a hand on the tall boy’s shoulder. “Thanks. Call me tonight, and we’ll come up with a plan to get your banana back.”

            Sungjae nodded. The three boys said their goodbyes before separating. Peniel followed close behind Sungjae, keeping an eye on his crestfallen brother. Even though they had promised Ilhoon, Peniel had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach; after all, without his banana, Sungjae was an emotional wreck.

            That evening, Sungjae had sprawled himself out across his twin sized bed. He had been thinking of Mr. Banana and VIXX all afternoon, so he figured he’d try to sleep early. He kept tossing and turning, remembering his grandmother. He could feel tears pricking the corners of his eyes to the point where couldn’t take it anymore.

            Sungjae tossed his blanket aside and shoved his clothes into a backpack; he grabbed a sleeping bag. He wasn’t about to let fear get the best of him, not when his precious banana was on the line.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter