We are ‘Born to Beat’

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “I said, ‘what are you doing here?’” repeated the sleepy-eyed brunette. He stared at the boys for a moment as Peniel stood in front of Sungjae to protect him.

            “We’re here because we have to be,” Ilhoon answered bluntly. “Why are you here, and who are you for that matter?”

            The sleepy eyed boy smiled and took a fighting stance. “I’m here to vanquish the black basilisk and bring peace and prosperity to the kingdom of Lumilia.”

            The three boys stared at their visitor curiously.

            “Bwoh?” Ilhoon asked.

            “Just kidding,” The brunette smiled. “I’m here on a dare. My name’s Changsub, by the way. I go to the same school as you.”

            Ilhoon sighed, rolling his eyes.

            “Oh,” Sungjae appeared from behind Peniel. “I recognize you now. You’re part of that Role play guild at school.”

            “Yep,” Changsub answered. “Wanna join? It’s really fun.”

            “Um, I’ll think about it,” Sungjae hesitated. He wasn’t the social type. “My name’s Sungjae. This is Peniel and Ilhoon.”

            “‘Sup,” Peniel said in English, earning a smile from Changsub.

            Ilhoon nodded, still wary of the strange boy. “Hey.”

            “You guys look hungry,” Changsub smiled. “Come on. We have some food in the other room.

            “We?” Ilhoon raised an eyebrow.

            “Yeah, me and the others, Come on, you’ll like them. They all go to our school,” Changsub grabbed Ilhoon’s wrist and pulled him to his feet. Ilhoon shivered at the boy’s touch as Changsub dragged him into the hallway, Peniel and Sungjae following close behind.

            The four boys arrived outside what looked like the teacher’s lounge. Changsub pushed open the door, revealing three more boys munching food and talking.

            “Look what I found,” Changsub smiled happily.

            The three boys smiled, greeting the new comers as Changsub walked over to introduce them.

            “This is Ilhoon, Sungjae and Peniel. They’re here because they have to be.” Changsub spoke to his friends. He then turned to the newcomers and individually introduced the rest of his group.

            “This is Eunkwang,” He said, ushering the scared looking blonde. “He’s here to prove he’s not a coward.”

            “I’m not a coward!” The boy yelled, earning giggles from the other two.

            “This is Minhyuk,” Changsub placed a hand on the shy boy with thick glasses and messy black hair. “He was chased in here by some bullies from his neighborhood.”

            “I’d much rather face ghosts than those jerks.” Minhyuk answered, shoving potato chips into his mouth.

            “And this is Hyunsik,” Changsub walked over to the boy smiling brightly. “He’s here because his favorite video game was tossed in through the window.”

            Hyunsik shrugged. “I got it back, but once I saw you all here, I wanted to stay.”

            “I’m here because I was dared to by the kingkas at school. If I stay the night, they’ll each give me 1000 won and stop picking on the Role-Play guild.” Changsub chuckled.

            Ilhoon’s group listened, relating to the other bullied students. They decided to sit down among the new boys and share in their snacks.

            “So, why do you have to be here?” Minhyuk asked.

            “My banana was stolen,” Sungjae answered solemnly. Hyunsik started choking, misunderstanding Sungjae’s meaning.

            Changsub quickly gave the younger boy the Heimlich and Hyunsik coughed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter