Revenge

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Two weeks after they met, the Beast boys were close to finishing their project. They had decided to work in the library. They only had two days left before the big presentation and they were more than ready. Hyunseung was putting the final touches on their group’s PowerPoint while Doojoon took to writing each boy’s speech onto note cards. The three youngest went off to the art room to complete a special visual while Jaesoon was putting together his own project.

            “What are you doing, Jae?” Hyunseung asked, looking up from the laptop screen.

            Jaesoon looked up from his paper, a sly smirk plastered on his face. “Well, if you must know,” he sat up, twirling his pencil in his fingers. “You know Gina from class 3-A, right?”

            “Gina?” Hyunseung spoke up. “You mean the prettiest girl in in the twelfth grade, voted best voice in school every year since freshman year?”

            Jaesoon tapped his nose and Hyunseung turned away.

            “Never heard of her,” Hyunseung answered earning a chuckle from Jaesoon, “so what about the second prettiest girl in the world?”

            ‘Second?’ Jaesoon thought but shook it off. “Well, she’s doing a charity concert for the Konyang University Hospital and she asked me if I could write a rap for a new song she composed.”

            “Seriously?” Doojoon looked up from his note cards.

Jaesoon nodded. “And I’ll get to perform it with her at the concert.”

            “That’s amazing, Jaesoon,” Hyunseung cheered. “But why’d she ask you to perform with her, and not me? Am I not manly enough?”

            Jaesoon lightly slapped the back of Hyunseung’s head. “You can’t rap.”

            “Oh yeah,” Hyunseung chuckled. “But that’s great, Jaesoon. Maybe this could be really good for you. Maybe the two of you can develop a relationship, eh?”

            Jaesoon turned his head at Hyunseung’s implication, hiding the blush that was slowly rising to his cheeks. “I-I don’t think so. Gina and I are just friends. Besides, she likes Doojoon.”

            “Wait, what?!” The said soccer player fell back off his chair at Jaesoon’s statement.

            Jaesoon and Hyunseung burst into laughter.

            “I’m kidding, hyung,” Jaesoon smirked. “I don’t know who she likes. She wouldn’t tell me something like that.”

            “Stupid Joker,” Doojoon grumbled as he climbed back into his seat.

            “Jaesoon, that’s sooo cool!”

            The three boys at the table turned their heads toward the Library doors to see a paint covered Yoseob running towards them.

            “Yoseob, what the hell happened?” Doojoon spoke up.

            “Oh... just a paint war,” The messy boy said shyly, kicking his foot on the ground. “I’m mostly dry now.”

            Kikwang followed after Yoseob, also covered in a rainbow of colors. “More importantly, Hyung, you could become a kingka with publicity like that.”

            “Were you guys eavesdropping?” Jaesoon asked the paint-covered boys. “You’re supposed to be working in the art room.”

            “We’re done,” Yoseob cheered.

            With that, the five boys turned toward the library doors, to see them swing open and a paint-covered Dongwoon walked in, dragging a large, scale model tyrannosaurus.

            “Wow,” Doojoon voiced, impressed with the maknae line’s work.

            “It’s only one-hundred-fifty centimeters,” Dongwoon commented, “but I think we managed to make a pretty realistic model. Yoseob’s very artistic, and Kikwang is great about detailing.”

            “It was a team effort,” Yoseob cheered.

            “With this model,” Jaesoon commented, “we’ll ace this report.”

            “And if that doesn’t work,” Doojoon set aside his notecards and reached under the table, pulling out a large metal box, “I have this baby.”

            “What is it? What is it?” Yoseob bounced up and down, standing close to Doojoon. The athlete opened the latches of the metal case and opened the box to reveal a fossilized dinosaur footprint.

            “Where did you get that?” Dongwoon asked, amazed.

            “My cousin sent it from the U.S. He works for a paleontology museum at a state park. As long as I send it back to him after the report, he said I can use it.”

            “So cool!” Yoseob cheered. “Which dinosaur’s foot is that?”

            “I’m not sure,” Doojoon replied. “Maybe we can find out. Hey, Hyunseung.”

            Hyunseung looked up from his laptop, taking his attention away from the completed slideshow. “Yeah?”

            “I saw a book on dinosaur footprints on the shelf we were at earlier. Can you go look for it for me?”

            Hyunseung nodded and headed off into the aisles. He wasn’t paying enough attention to know why he was getting this book but he at least knew what he was looking for. He walked toward the back of the library and looked up toward the top shelf where the book on footprints was stored. The reference book was a bit out of the 4D boy’s reach so, thinking quickly, he used the bottom shelves as a ladder.

            ‘Just a little more,’ Hyunseung thought as he reached for the book. He managed to grab the spine of the reference before falling back off his shelf and colliding with the shelf of the adjacent aisle.

            Several books fell from the two shelves, but luckily the teen escaped the calamity unscathed. Hyunseung set aside the reference he was sent to retrieve and began re-shelving the discarded text. He had almost finished when and old, dusty book caught his eyes.

            ‘Tome of Monster Transformations,’ Hyunseung read the old, gold lettering on the leather cover. He dusted it off and tucked it away under his arm before grabbing his book on footprints and returning to the table with the other boys.

            Hyunseung handed the reference over to Doojoon who immediately went to researching footprints. The other four boys’ minds were focused on something else.

            “Don’t forget us when you become a kingka, okay Jaesoon?” Yoseob asked his busy friend.

            “What are you talking about? I won’t become a kingka,” Jaesoon replied. “And even if I did, do you really think I’d leave you all behind?”

            “Yes,” Kikwang answered bluntly. “The kingkas here are jerks.”

            “We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter