Rivals and Friends

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “You’re not serious, you can’t be serious,” Sungjae yelled at his foreign brother. “Ravi’s a jerk, why the hell would you want to help him?”

            “I don’t think he’s that bad, and he really seemed like he was in pain the other day.” Peniel responded.

            “Who cares?! He can afford the doctor.” Sungjae argued.

            Sungjae and Peniel were on their way to a salon in the nearby strip mall; they had agreed to meet the rest of BtoB there. It had been several days since Peniel had played basketball with the deep voiced Vixx member and their encounter still played over and over in his mind. Peniel occasionally brought it up with Sungjae, but the bitter maknae refused to hear it.

            “It didn’t seem like that kind of pain. Besides, I don’t think Ravi’s as bad as he seems.”

            “Did you forget what he did to my Mr. Banana?!” Sungjae yelled.

            “You got it back in one piece, didn’t you? Get over it!”

            “Ravi’s an ! Helping him is betraying me!” Sungjae glared at his brother.

            Peniel clenched his fist, pausing in his steps. “You narrow-minded little punk, haven’t you ever heard of letting bygones be bygones! I want to befriend Ravi!”

            “What you want is to betray BtoB, we’re enemies!” Sungjae yelled.

            “Why the hell do we have to be?!”

            Peniel and Sungjae were glaring daggers at each other. This was the first real fight they’d had in months.

            ‘Wow,’ Yoseob chimed in, interrupting their staring match. ‘’Ravi must be some special guy to break you two up. You both must really love him a lot.’

            “YAH, I DON’T LOVE HIM!” Peniel and Sungjae both yelled in unison and Yoseob burst into laughter. The two boys then looked at each other and after a moment they started laughing themselves.

            ‘I knew you guys couldn’t stay mad at each other long.’ Yoseob laughed.

             Peniel and Sungjae both took deep breaths, smiles on their faces.

            “Thanks Yoseobie-hyung,” Sungjae smiled.

            “Yeah, thanks hyung,” Peniel giggled.

            ‘Anytime,’ Yoseob smiled.

            Sungjae sighed before looking at his brother as the two started walking again. “So you really believe that Ravi’s not all bad?”

            “I do,” Peniel sighed. “I also think he needs help. I don’t know what it is, but I just have a bad feeling.”

            “Alright, Pen, if it’s that important to you, we’ll go talk to Ravi on Monday.”

            Peniel smiled and hugged his brother. “Thank you, Thank you!”

            Sungjae smiled. As much as he hated Ravi, it was worth it, just to see his brother smile. Peniel let go of Sungjae and the two of them continued on.

            Sungjae lightly pushed open the salon doors and Peniel strolled in afterwards. Peniel walked up to the counter while Sungjae looked around.

            “Yes, we have an appointment with Hayoung and Eunji,” Peniel spoke nervously.

           A young woman walked out, twirling a pair of scissors around her fingers. “Peniel Shin, Yook Sungjae,” she called, a smile on her face.    

           “Hi, I’m Peniel Shin,” Peniel walked up and the young girl chuckled.

           “Nice to meet you Peniel,” she shook his hand. “I’m Eunji, Hayoung’s in the back. Over half of your group is already here, so let’s get started.”

           “Who’s here?” Sungjae asked, looking past the young girl to see Changsub back at the washing sink and Minhyuk and Ilhoon each in a chair with foil in their hair.

           Peniel noticed Sungjae’s gaze and called out to Ilhoon, “YAH, Ilhoonie!”

           Ilhoon was startled, sitting up in his chair and wincing, “Peniel, don’t do that! This is a delicate process.”

           Peniel and Sungjae laughed as they walked towards him. “Hey Ilhoon, what’re you getting done?” Sungjae asked.

           “It’s a secret; you’ll see when it’s done,” Ilhoon sighed before glancing at his hand. ‘I can’t believe you talked me into doing this.’

           “Please keep still,” his young hairdresser called and Ilhoon immediately sat up nervously.

           Meanwhile, the four shadows in the area took to their own conversation.

           ‘Jay Stomp, JS, you seriously couldn’t tell her your name,’ Junhyung laughed at his 4D friend.

          ‘I wanted to; I tried, really, but the moment she asked me… I kinda forgot my name, so I made something up.’ Hyunseung answered shyly.

           Junhyung was laughing when Dongwoon spoke up. ‘You do realize he still got farther than you. At least his dream girl knows he’s alive, and she’s even infatuated with him.’

           Junhyung paused and it was now Hyunseung’s turn to chuckle.

           ‘And I’m gonna meet her again someday,’ Hyunseung smiled. ‘The first meeting is the hardest, but next time, I’ll definitely tell her my real name.’

           Junhyung sighed, Hyunseung was right, even if he failed in telling Hyuna his name, he still got farther with his crush then Junhyung ever did with Gina. ‘Well you still have to-’

           ‘I’m afraid of girls,’ Hyunseung admitted nonchalantly and Dongwoon and Yoseob simply applauded him.

           Junhyung groaned before going over to Ilhoon, ‘Damnit, how can I lose when I won the bet.’

           ‘Just ask her out, already,’ Ilhoon responded telepathically.

           ‘But I… I’m not human,’ Junhyung felt sadder than ever. It’s not that he hated being a shadow; he just wished that things were different.

           ‘Look, Hyung, we’ll get through this, even if I have to be your personal on a date.  But not until you want to approach her, deal?’

           Junhyung smiled, ‘Thanks Ilhoon.’

           ‘That’s what brothers are for.’

           Dongwoon smiled, listening on the two brother’s conversation. He then turned toward Minhyuk who was busy playing online Go while his hairdresser began adding red dye to his pre-lightened hair.

           ‘Hey, Minhyuk, I noticed Jihyun hasn’t been bugging you about me lately,’ Dongwoon smiled.

           Minhyuk smiled, ‘She’s been busy preparing for an acting audition. She recently got a call back.’ He sat down his ipad and glanced at his hand. ‘Why, do you miss her?’

           ‘No,’ Dongwoon chuckled, ‘I was just curious. So who are you playing today?’

           ‘BabyHyukkie21 again,’ Minhyuk sighed. ‘He was really insistent on playing me today. We’re rivals, but his game is a bit off today. I think something’s on his mind.’

           ‘Odd, you and BabyHyukkie21 play at least once a week now, and are pretty even. Let me see the board.’

           Minhyuk glanced at the mirror to see his stylist had turned around to get some more dye, He swiftly held his ipad up to face a wall as Dongwoon traveled up to it.

           ‘You’re right, this isn’t BabyHyukkie’s usual game at all; try talking to him through the chat.’

           Minhyuk sighed and was about to take Dongwoon’s advice when his hairdresser pulled him out of his trance.

           “Ok, Minhyuk, I’m about to apply this stuff to your roots so I need you to be still, alright?”

           “Oh, ok Naeun-Noona,” Minhyuk sat back, lifting his hand up. ‘I’ll message him later.’

           Hours passed and all seven of the BtoB members finished with their hair. They had asked to be separated so they wouldn’t see each other’s hair until the big reveal. Ilhoon finished and was now seated on couch in the front lobby.

           ‘I am so nervous, Hyung,’ Ilhoon sighed, looking at his hand.

           ‘Don’t be, you look adorable, yet cool and charismatic at the same time.’

           ‘But this is the first time I’ve done something like this. What’ll mom and dad say?’ Ilhoon sat up.

           ‘You’ll be fine. When I was your age, I dyed my hair brunette. And apparently mom and dad were ok with Jiyoon dying her hair too, so why not you?’

           ‘Jiyoon’s a girl, and I’m not sure how they’ll take to me going-’

           “OH MY GOD, HYUNG, YOU’RE BLONDE!” Sungjae ran up, looking over Ilhoon’s new hair style. “You’re sooo cute.”

           “Shut up Sungjae,” Ilhoon remarked standing before looking at Sungjae’s new hairstyle and flinching a bit.

           “Oh, did I scare you a bit?” Sungjae smirked. “I figured with this image, people would start taking me seriously.”

           Ilhoon nodded, gazing at Sungjae’s deep black, almost blue hair. Its slight wave to the side shaped his eyes to give a bit of an intimidating gaze, however the scariest thing about Sungjae’s new look were his eyes themselves. They had changed from their normal calm black to a shimmering yet intimidating silver.

           “Y-Your eyes,” Ilhoon stuttered.

           “Hmm?” Sungjae walked over to the mirror, “Hey that’s new.”

           ‘I did that,’ Yoseob announced.

           ‘How?!’ Junhyung asked.

           ‘Sungjae’s gonna be a seer soon anyway so I just pushed the process along further. I used a little of my shadow energy while he was asleep in the chair to enhance his growing abilities. Guess there was a side effect with his eyes.’

           “So you used me as a guinea pig?” Sungjae yelled and the shadow chuckled.

           ‘Kinda,’ Yoseob pouted, ‘Sorry, Sungjae.’

           Sungjae sighed before smiling, “I’d probably be madder if the color wasn’t so cool. And I do feel a little different.” He gazed outside the salon, his eyes widening. “Whoa Hyung, what is that?”

           Ilhoon gazed out the window to see where Sungjae was looking, “you mean that little girl? What about her?”

           “Can’t you see she’s glowing?”

           Ilhoon shook his head and Sungjae sighed.

           ‘She’s probably a fairy,’ Yoseob answered.

           ‘Definitely a fairy,’ Junhyung replied and the two laughed.

           “What are you talking about?” Ilhoon asked.

           ‘Supernatural sight, Ilhoonie,’ Junhyung replied. ‘Give it time; you’ll see these things too.’

           Ilhoon groaned as someone wrapped his arms around him from behind, “Yah!” Ilhoon spun around only to come face to face with Peniel and his two-tone haircut, “Hot damn.”

           Peniel chuckled, running his fingers through his brown locks, topped with blonde, “y’ like? I thought I’d try something really different for the new song.”

           “Hyung is so y!” Sungjae leapt up, hugging Peniel. The two brothers laughed, enjoying the skinship as Ilhoon rolled his eyes, ‘Those two.’  

          The door chimed as a light brown, fluffy, windswept haired boy walked in with an ice cream cone in his hand. “Oh you guys are done?”

           “Whoh, nice haircut, Changsub-hyung,” Sungjae smiled at the boy.

           “T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter