Old Friends

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

            Ilhoon was exhausted when he entered the school building Monday morning. He had spent the entire weekend with Beast and BtoB, doing most of their activities at night. They had gone to the movies, the mall and many different restaurants, at Changsub and Hyunseung’s request. Saturday night, the boys had even stayed at an amusement park until dawn, using Beast’s powers to operate the rides once the officials had gone home. Ilhoon had a hard time coming up with excuses to keep his mother from worrying about him, but eventually she stopped fretting as long as he said he was with Sungjae and Peniel and he checked in with her every hour.

            Junhyung, on the other hand, was bursting with energy. It was his first weekend out of the school in years. He could not believe how much fun he had at the amusement park that had only started its construction five years ago. He felt a bit guilty keeping Ilhoon up all weekend but he couldn’t help himself. It felt good to be free to roam the city again.

            “Changsub... Changsub,” Ilhoon walked near his locker to notice Hyunsik nudging a sleeping mass on the edge of the hallway. “Yah, Lee Changsub, wake up already.”

            “Five more minutes,” Changsub mumbled in his sleep.

            “Why is he sleeping here?” Ilhoon asked Hyunsik who had recently noticed his presence.

            “Kikwang says that he believes the freshman lockers have a more comfortable floor,” Hyunsik answered, “At least that’s what Hyunseung told him.”

            “Seriously,” Ilhoon sighed.

            Recently, the BtoB boys discovered that telepathy was a bit complicated. During the night, the Beast boys were strong enough to transmit to anyone and everyone, but during the day, they could only transmit their thoughts to other shadows or their respective links. To Ilhoon, it was annoying to have Junhyung transfer anything the other Beast members said but Junhyung didn’t mind as much; he was just happy to have someone listening to him and s.

            “Yah, Changsub-hyung,” Ilhoon knelt in front of the sleepy boy. “Wake up, the hallway is filled with zombies.”

            “What?!” Changsub’s eyes darted open and he jumped up to his feet, “Where? Where?!”

            Ilhoon and Hyunsik giggled at their gullible friend as Hyunsik wrapped his arm around the boy’s shoulder. “C’mon, hyung, I’ll you to class.”

            Changsub groaned, “Ugh, why couldn’t we have skipped school today, my mom wouldn’t have noticed.”

            Hyunsik smiled, “because then you would’ve missed your role-play club meeting.”

            “Oh yeah,” Changsub cheered up. “I almost forgot we moved our meetings to Mondays.”

            Hyunsik nodded.

            “And you’ll be coming with me, right Hyunsik?” Changsub turned to his smiling companion.

            Hyunsik relinquished a heavy sigh. “Sorry hyung, I have work after school today and my boss isn’t very happy with me. I was pretty exhausted coming into work Sunday morning, but I didn’t wanna let Kikwang down.” Hyunsik began to laugh and Changsub and Ilhoon instantly knew Kikwang was scolding the boy for staying out so late

            “Ok,” Changsub sighed, turning to Ilhoon. “What about you, Ilhoon? Wanna dive into the truly amazing world of fantasy role play?”

            Ilhoon shuddered at the thought before sighing and smiling, “Sorry, Changsub-hyung, I’m busy tonight. I promised Junhyung I’d help him compose a song.”

            ‘Yah, don’t use me in your lie!’ Junhyung transmitted causing Ilhoon to snicker a bit before regaining his composure.

            “Ok,” Changsub sighed, “Maybe next time.”

            Ilhoon and Hyunsik both nodded and Changsub took off toward his own class. It’s not that Ilhoon didn’t want to hang out with Changsub; his life was just so jumbled up with the supernatural that participating in a fake fantasy would confuse him, especially when he was so tired.  

            “I better get going too,” Hyunsik smiled, “I’ll see you at lunch, Ilhoon.” He walked off and Ilhoon headed toward his classroom.

            Ilhoon noticed Hongbin hadn’t shown up yet. In fact, he hadn’t seen a single kingka all day. He had heard about Sungjae and Peniel’s confrontation with Ravi and the note they had left afterwards, however Ilhoon was still a bit wary. Vixx had never been a group to give up so easily.

            Ilhoon quietly approached the two brothers at their desks. He watched as the two of them were sound asleep, their desks pushed close together. Ilhoon silently snickered, seeing Sungjae cuddling Peniel’s arm while the older lightly snored with his head laid back on the chair.

            Ilhoon placed his head right between the two, laughing to himself at how surprised Peniel and Sungjae would be. Class was going to start soon anyway.

            "Yook Sungjae! Peniel Shin! Stop sleeping in class!" Ilhoon yelled with the best impersonation of their teacher that he could muster.

            "I'm awake! I'm awake!" Sungjae screamed as he sat up straight.

            "Huh? What? I'm sorry," Peniel drowsily said in English.

            The two brothers received stares from their classmates who were weirded out at what just happened. Shy from embarrassment, the two turned away with light pink cheeks.

            "What was that for?" Sungjae asked as he playfully punched Ilhoon, who was still laughing from what had happened.

"I guess you guys are tired too, huh?" Ilhoon smirked as they yawned.

            "Yeah, we stayed up a little too late playing with Yoseob hyung. I don't even remember if I did homework or not," Peniel replied blankly.

            "At least you weren't like Changsub hyung who was sleeping in the freshman hallways," Ilhoon remarked, making the two brothers laugh.

            "Seriously?" Sungjae asked only to receive a nod from Ilhoon as they all laughed at the silliness of their hyung.

            “Ok class, back to your seats, we’re about to begin,” the instructor entered the classroom and Ilhoon returned to his seat with a look of satisfaction on his face. The rest of the class settled in their seats and Ilhoon was still on the lookout for Hongbin.

            “Before we begin today, I have a special announcement for you all,” before the teacher could continue, a brunette sauntered in with dark circles under his eyes, “Lee Hongbin, how nice of you to join us.”

            “Sorry, sir,” Hongbin yawned and handed the teacher a piece of paper. “I was in a meeting early this morning.” He shot a death glare at Peniel and Sungjae who turned their heads, feigning innocence.

            “Fair enough,” The teacher said after reading the note and tossing it into the garbage. “You may sit.” Hongbin sat at his desk as the teacher continued. “Ok, as I was saying, today we’ll be having a student teacher. She’s in the midst of studying for her teaching degree and this period will allow her some hands-on experience. As such, she will be taking over your lessons as I will be supervising her.”

            Various murmurs went out throughout the class, as Ilhoon sat back in his chair, “a student teacher.”

            ‘That’s kinda rare for the middle of the year,’ Junhyung transmitted.

            “I hope he or she isn’t strict. How will I ever catch up on my sleep?” Ilhoon mumbled.

            ‘Yah, you’re supposed to be paying attention!’

            “And just whose fault is it that I didn’t get much sleep all weekend!” Ilhoon yelled, garnering the attention of a few of the other students.

“Jung Ilhoon, do you have something to share with the class?” The teacher asked.

            “No, sorry sir,” Ilhoon sunk back into his seat, embarrassed being caught yelling at his shadow again.

            “Alright now, I want you all to be on your best behavior for your new teacher,” the instructor walked over to the door and slid it open. All eyes were on the door a tan, slender young woman walked in. The male students were practically drooling, while the females were fuming with jealousy.

            “Wow,” Ilhoon whispered, “She’s pretty, huh hyung?” Ilhoon waited for a response but was utterly confused by Junhyung’s silence, “Hyung?”

            ‘It can’t be,’ Junhyung finally transmitted.

            ‘AHHH! GINA!’ Yoseob transmitted waking his two links from yet another nap.

            “AHHH, THE GENIE!” Sungjae yelled, confusing Yoseob’s words.

            “AHHH!” Peniel screamed.

            “Peniel Shin, Yook Sungjae, hallway now!” The normal teacher demanded and the two brothers sighed heavily, leaving the classroom.

            Ilhoon rolled his eyes at his u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter