Heartache

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
(I hyperlinked the song Hyunsik's singing because I feel it really fits the moment. Right click and open in new window or tab to listen along) 

 

 

 

            Kikwang quietly leaned against the wall while Hyunsik washed dishes. There was still an hour before Hyunsik finished his shift and the two could head to battle practice, but there was something else on the shadow’s mind other than synchronicity.

            “Hey, Hyunsik!” The link turned towards his shadow and Kikwang couldn’t help smiling at the soap in Hyunsik’s hair. “Hey, I’m gonna check out something in the restaurant.”

            “Alright, but don’t stray too far,” Hyunsik replied, returning his gaze to the sudsy plates in front of him.

            Kikwang chuckled. “Don’t worry. I know my distance limit. I won’t fade away.” His body immediately turned black, allowing him to sink into the ground and disappear under the door.

            Outside, Gayoon was about to finish her shift for the day. It was nearly six in the evening and she was a little upset because her best friend was out on a date and wouldn’t be stopping in to hang out for her. She wasn’t even aware Jihyun could get a date, let alone get over her obsession with Dongwoon. Then again, Jihyun never mentioned just who was taking her out. Gayoon decided to let it go, knowing her friend would tell her all the details the next day over the phone. Still, the girl couldn’t help feeling lonely.

            The door chimed but Gayoon didn’t even look up, her mind was too preoccupied with sweeping. “I’ll be with you in just a moment. Feel free to seat yourself.”

            The newcomer entered the diner without a word. His head was turned toward the iPod in his hand as he headed toward a booth near the window. Gayoon continued to sweep, walking backwards until she collided with the newcomer.

            “Oh sorry,” Gayoon apologized. “I was a little distracted. I only have a few minutes before my shift ends.”  

            The customer chuckled, causing Gayoon to turn and look at him beneath the hood of his red hoodie. “I understand. I can’t be upset at a pretty young thing like you.”

            Gayoon eyes widened and her broom fell to the floor as she gaped up at the handsome young man. “Y-You’re...”

            It was then the customer noticed his sunglasses had fallen off in the collision. He quickly scrambled to pick them up and place them back on his eyes. He shushed Gayoon before sitting at a booth.

            “N-Nichkhun?” Gayoon squeaked out in her smallest voice.

            The young idol smirked before lowering his sunglasses and winking at the waitress. Gayoon had to bite hard on her bottom lip to all but scream in excitement. She swiftly swallowed her squeals and took a minute to compose herself.

            “W-What brings someone like you here?” She asked, trying not to sound as frantic as she felt.

            “The boys and I got a break so we thought we’d explore our old hometown and see our families.” He chuckled lightly. “So can I see a menu please?”

            “Oh yeah, yes, of course.” Gayoon quickly scrambled over to the other side of the room, grabbed a menu and rushed it over to the idol at the table. “T-Take all the time you need.”

            “Hey, chill!” Nichkhun chuckled. “You’re really spazzing here. Just have a seat here and take a breath.”

            “H-here?!” Gayoon’s voice went up and octave as she questioned if what she heard was right.

            “Yeah. You said your shift is almost over, right?”

            Gayoon swallowed and nodded before sitting down stiffly across from the idol at the booth. Nichkhun couldn’t help giggling behind his menu. After a moment of silence while Nichkhun looked at the menu, the idol decided to lighten the tension.

           
            “So, how long has this place been here?”

            Gayoon took a moment to realize the boy was actually talking to her before shaking herself out of her trance and answering. “A few years... O-Our manager’s father bought an old, failing convenient store and opened this place.”

            Nichkhun nodded, “How long have you been here?”

            “About six months. I-I started to pay off college.”                           

            “College?” Nichkhun smiled, lowering his menu. “What are you studying?”

            “Audio studies and foreign language.”

            “Really?” Nichkhun smiled. “You must be pretty well rounded.”

            Gayoon couldn’t help smiling at this compliment. She felt lost in her own little world that she didn’t notice when Nichkhun spoke up to her.

            “Um, miss. I’m ready to order now.”

            Gayoon quickly shook her head and stood up. “Oh, yeah. Sorry. What can I get for you?”

            The idol chuckled lightly before pointing to the menu. “I’ll have an omelet please. I'll also take some oolong tea."

            Gayoon quickly scribbled down the order before bowing to Nichkhun. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

            "Well," the idol thought aloud. "I wouldn't mind if you kept me company once your shift is over, if you're not too busy.”

            Gayoon blushed before nodding and running toward the kitchen, yelling for Hyunsik to put together the order.

            It was only minutes before Gayoon was back out with Nichkhun. They spent several minutes together, talking and laughing. Gayoon did most of the talking about herself as per Nichkhun's request.  After about half an hour, Nichkhun finished his meal and was ready to depart.

            "I better get going. The other members are probably wondering where I am."

            "Aww, do you have to?" Gayoon complained and the idol chuckled.

            "Yeah," he stood up.  "An idol's work is never done.  It was nice meeting you, Gayoon."

            Gayoon stared longingly while the idol walked toward the exit, leaving his payment on the table.  As he was about halfway to the exit, he paused and turned back toward Gayoon.

            "Hey, I just had a thought. Are you busy this evening?"

            Gayoon sat up, perplexed.  "N-No, why?"

            "Well," he rubbed the back of his head. "An old friend of ours owns a club nearby, and a few of the boys and I were going to go out tonight. I figured, maybe you'd like to come with me?"

            "What?" Gayoon stood excitedly. "I'd love to go! Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you'd invite me! "

            "Well, you're entertaining. Ok, dress up and meet me on 5th street and 22nd Avenue. You know, near the river is a few blocks away from the old high school is."

            The girl nodded and Nichkhun smiled, "Ok good. I'll meet you there at eleven. I may be a little late. See you then."

            Nichkhun ran out and Gayoon stood with her hand on the money sitting on the table.  A wide smile sat on her face while her eyes were glazed over with longing. "I have a date with an idol."



 

            “Shut up!” A glass shattered on the wall near Taecyeon, enticing a small whimper from the rapper’s lips. Tears formed in Chansung’s eyes as Jun K. took him into his arms.

            Ilhoon smirked. “Look at you all, cowering, like little puppies. Where’s that high and mighty attitude you used to terrorize my brother five years ago?”

            “Please don’t hurt us!” Junho cried. “We didn’t know what we were doing back then!”

            “How were we supposed to know those boys would actually die?!” Wooyoung yelled.

            “Too late!” Ilhoon yelled, scaring the boys further. “Nothing you can do or say could bring my brother back. So I’m going to end this right here and now. Any last words?”

           

            A smile was on Yoseob’s face as he watched the recorded video on Ilhoon’s phone. Kikwang was already on the floor laughing while Doojoon slapped Hyunseung’s shoulder in laughter.

            “I didn’t think Taecyeon was capable of crying.” Doojoon spoke between giggles.

            “Can you send me a copy of this?” Kikwang asked.

            Junhyung smiled before handing the phone back to Ilhoon. “Sure. We can send it to your links later.”

            Yoseob crossed his arms. “Man I wish I had my own cellphone.”

            “How’d you record that anyway?” Hyunsik had to ask.

            “Well once I had the objects suspended in the air, I took Ilhoon’s phone from his pockets and started recording. I had to get a record of our revenge,” Junhyung answered and Doojoon nodded.

            “At least that’s finally settled,” Eunkwang mentioned.

            Junhyung smirked. “Truth is, they had been living with the guilt of causing our disappearance, at least according to Junho. It often messed with their group dynamic and they’d argue about it often. He told me the group nearly broke up because of it.”

            “So, essentially, just by disappearing, we already got our revenge,” Doojoon added.

            “That’s somewhat bittersweet,” Yoseob muttered.

            “But the suffering’s over for everyone now that hyung met with them,” Ilhoon added. “We even settled the hostility between them and Sungjong. It was kinda funny meeting Infinite backstage. I honestly thought Dongwoo was taller than me when I saw him on stage.”

            “Wait, wait, wait,” Hyunseung interrupted. “You met who, where, and where was I?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter