Because I’m Shadow

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s my name? Say my name!”

            “Dooberman!”

            The BtoB boys watched in confusion as an athletic, black haired teen had a small dark-brown haired boy pinned to the ground with his foot. He stomped down hard on the boy’s back, causing him to squeal out laughter.

            “Say my name, or you’re not getting up!” The black haired boy yelled at the squirming, laughing mass beneath his foot.

            “Dooberman!” The boy choked out again.

            “You’re really a glutton for punishment, aren’t you, Seobie?” A boy with scarlet red locks stared down at the laughing boy.

            “Say my name!” The black haired boy yelled again.

            “Yoon Doojoon!” The brown haired boy finally yelled and his assailant lifted his foot.

            “And don’t you forget it.”

            The BtoB boys were baffled. Just who were these people? They managed to count 6 boys lounging in the dark, empty cafeteria including the two making a ruckus, and the one overseeing them.

            “Look alive,” a light-brown haired boy at a table spoke out before walking over to a wall and flipping on a light switch. “We have company.”

            The BtoB boys entered slowly when the room illuminated itself. The three boys on the floor approached the seven members as the tall brunette returned to his seat at a table.

            “Oh, sorry,” Hyunsik spoke up after a long silence, “are we interrupting something?”

            “Not really,” Stated the dark-brown haired boy, “just lunch and Hyunseung’s the only one eating.” He ushered with his thumb to a boy with platinum blonde hair, sitting in front of a basket of peaches.

            “W-Who are you?” Eunkwang stuttered from behind Minhyuk.

            The three on the floor looked at each other before smiling and introducing themselves. “So Beast! Annyeonghaseyo, Beast imnida,” The three said in unison with the other three at the tables.

            “Beast?” Peniel questioned.

            “That’s our group name,” Spoke the black haired leader. “I am Yoon Doojoon, leader of these misfits.” He chuckled, walking over to the dark-brown haired trouble maker, “and this is Yang Yoseob.” He slapped the younger hard on the back, causing him to stumble forward.

            The crimson haired boy laughed before introducing himself. “I’m Lee Kikwang.” He smiled, ushering to the others at the tables. “The hungry blonde is Jang Hyunseung.”

            Hyunseung waved, wiping peach juice from his mouth and taking another bite of the large, juicy fruit.

            “This,” Kikwang walked over to the tall light-brown haired boy, “is Son Dongwoon, our maknae.”

            “He’s the maknae?!” Sungjae and Peniel yelled, surprised.

            Dongwoon rubbed the back of his head, a smile on his face. “I’m actually a year younger than everyone. I skipped a grade.” He stood up before looking back at the last member of their group, a boy with raven black hair, in the far corner of the room. “That’s Yong Junhyung.”

            Ilhoon seemed to have his eyes on the strange boy. Even though each of the Beast boys seemed a bit odd, with their inexplicably good looks, dark but alluring fashion, and odd crescent shaped earrings on a single ear lobe, something about this boy seemed familiar to Ilhoon.

            “So, what are you doing here?” Minhyuk asked, interrupting Ilhoon’s train of thought.

            “We live here,” Yoseob giggled. “What are you doing here?”

            “Oh um.... well...” Minhyuk stammered, taking a step back. “We’re-”

            “You’re BtoB,” spoke the blonde at the table. “Minhyuk, Changsub, Sungjae, Peniel, Hyunsik, Eunkwang and Ilhoon, right?”

            Junhyung seemed to react to the last name his comrade called but kept his eyes turned away from the group of newcomers. This made Ilhoon even more suspicious.

            “That’s right!” Changsub spoke excitedly. “How’d you know?”

            “I spied on you,” The blonde answered nonchalantly.

            Changsub seemed a bit disappointed in this answer but decided to ignore it.

            “So, what brings you boys here?” Doojoon asked.

            “Well... you see,” Hyunsik spoke for the group. “The seven of us were bullied and...”

            Ilhoon had enough guessing. He had to confirm his suspicions for sure. As Hyunsik went on with his explanation, Ilhoon made his way across the cafeteria, approaching the black haired boy in the back of the room. The boy tried to avoid eye-contact but Ilhoon stared, trying to get a good look at his face.

            “Ilhoon, what’s wrong?” Eunkwang asked, observing his new friend’s strange behavior.

            Ilhoon took a step back and let out a shaky breath before muttering a simple name, “Jaesoon.”

            Peniel’s and Sungjae’s eyes widened as the black haired boy surrendered looking directly at the boy wearing his old, brown hat, “Hello again, Ilhoon.”

            “It really is you!” Ilhoon leapt over, hugging his missing brother as the other Beast and BtoB members stared in astonishment.

            “HUH?!” Both Peniel and Sungjae yelled in unison.

            “Hold up,” Dongwoon spoke up. “That’s your little brother, Junhyung-hyung?”

            “Y-Yeah, Looks like it,” Junhyung spoke nervously, “although he’s a lot bigger now than I remember.”

            “Wait,” Sungjae spoke up. “If that’s Ilhoon’s missing brother...” Sungjae looked around at all the Beast members, “then you’re the missing students from the legend.”

            Now was the time for the other BtoB members to react. “BWOH?!”

            The Beast members silently stepped back from the loud BtoB boys.

            “We’re not really missing,” Yoseob smiled, “we’ve just been here, mostly sleeping.”

            “But how’s that even possible?” Minhyuk asked. “According to my cousin, the school was searched high and low but no one found any traces of your whereabouts.”

            Junhyung gently pushed his brother aside to explain. “We were here, but nobody could see us.”

            “What do you mean, hyung?” Ilhoon asked, staring at Junhyung once more. He scanned his brother noticing his appearance. Despite how his appearance became more handsome and his hair was a darker color, Jaesoon hadn’t aged at all, which was odd because he’d been away for five years.

            The Beast members sighed before taking a seat at different tables.

            “Well, the truth is,” Doojoon stated, “we’re not...human anymore.”

            The BtoB members stood silently, letting what Doojoon said sink in.

            After a moment of silence Changsub burst into laughter. “Okay, seriously, are you joking with us? You can’t honestly expect us to believe you’re not human. What are you then, ghosts?”

            “Ghosts?!” Eunkwang shouted, nervously hiding behind Minhyuk.

            “They can’t be ghosts, Eunkwang-ssi,” Minhyuk said, pulling away from Eunkwang. “They’re solid; Ilhoon just hugged Junhyung.”

            Ilhoon looked at his brother, as he rubbed the back of his hand. It’s true, he was able to hug his brother with no problem; although he did feel a strange sensation when he did, he could sense his brother was definitely alive.

            “We’re not ghosts,” Kikwang responded.

            “Vampires?” Sungjae asked, freaking out Eunkwang even more.

            “Hell no!” Junhyung yelled, annoyed at being called a vampire. “I’d rather die than become a blood- pretty boy.”

            Ilhoon chuckled. He remembered his brother having a distinct hatred for vampires ever since the ‘Twilight’ series reared its ugly head.

            “You’re not humans, you’re not ghosts, you’re not vampires,” Peniel spoke up, “then, what are you?”

            “Shadows,” Hyunseung answered, tossing a peach pit into the garbage can.

            “What?” Changsub asked, confused.

            “We’re shadows,” Yoseob explained, “or technically Shadow entities. At night, we become solid like you see us now, but during the day, we’re simply the silhouettes you see on your walls”

            “Is that even possible?” Hyunsik asked.

            “I’ll show you,” Doojoon responded. The black-haired leader stood up and walked over to the wall on the side of the cafeteria. He placed his hand on the solid surface and took a deep breath. Without warning, his entire body turned a deep shade of black and he disappeared into the wall, leaving only a black silhouette.

            Eunkwang screamed and started to run away, when Doojoon’s silhouette moved to the floor in front of him. The leader emerged from the ground and grabbed Eunkwang’s shoulders to try and calm him.

            “Don’t freak out, we won’t hurt you, I swear,” Doojoon spoke, trying to relax the blonde ‘fraidy-cat.

            Eunkwang hyperventilated, while furiously rubbing the back of his hand.

            “Deep breaths, deep breaths,” Doojoon assured Eunkwang.

            “That’s not all we can do,” Yoseob interrupted from the side of the cafeteria. All eyes were now directed at the smiling brunette as he held out his hand toward a peach in Hyunseung’s basket. He smiled as the ripe peach slowly floated towards him.

            “You’re telekinetic!” Changsub cheered. “That’s so cool!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter