Our Show

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

            Ilhoon stood outside the hospital where a small stage was being set up. He could feel sweat trickling down his neck, as many people were starting to arrive.

            “Nervous, Ilhoonie?” Jiyoon asked, placing her hand on her brother’s shoulder.

            “A little,” Ilhoon admitted. He was happy that his sister wanted to watch the performance, but he couldn’t hide the fact that having her there added to the fear of the moment.

            “You’ll do fine; you boys have been practicing non-stop all week. I heard your song and it’s great,” Jiyoon assured her brother. “Plus, from what I can tell, you’ve got some pretty fun choreography. Who came up with it, anyway?”

            ‘Kikwang,’ Ilhoon answered internally. “It was a group effort.”

            Jiyoon smiled, fixing Ilhoon’s hair. It was the first time in a while that Ilhoon had taken off his brother’s beanie but he figured it didn’t go with the theme of the performance. Instead, Junhyung had taken the brown cap upon himself for good luck.

            Ilhoon placed a spiky cap over his curly brown hair as his sister looked him over. “Do I look alright, Noona?”

            Jiyoon nodded, pleased by Ilhoon’s nineties style outfit. She had helped the boys pick out their clothes for the show just days before the performance and even though she wasn’t the most fashion forward girl in her university, she felt satisfied helping to pick out a clothing concept for the seven boys.

            “Hyung!” Sungjae ran up, wrapping his arms around Ilhoon’s shoulders.

            “Yah, Sungjae!” Ilhoon pushed the tall boy off and held him at arm’s length. “You know I don’t like skinship.” Ilhoon then took a moment to examine his friend’s attire.

            Sungjae chuckled, “Like what you see, Ilhoon-ah~” Sungjae adjusted his long, white vest over his colorful light blue and black graphic T-shirt.

            “Shut up, dork,” Ilhoon looked around the area. “Hey, where’s Peniel?”

            “He went off with Yoseob to go work out some last minute details in his outfit. I got bored and came over here.”

            Ilhoon nodded and looked over Sungjae’s shoulder to see two more boys approach. One dressed in a decorative brown and black jacket, covering his gray graphic T-shirt and bright red pants while the other had a long sleeved, graphic tee with green stripes running down his arms. He wore bright green high-top sneakers and a matching green hat, topped off by a pair of silver goggles.

            “Nice goggles, Hyunsik-hyung,” Ilhoon commented with a smile on his face.

            “They were a gift from my sister,” Hyunsik replied. “I just never wore them until now. I figured this performance would be a perfect opportunity to try them out.”

            “I like them,” Changsub adjusted his jacket over his shoulders before giving his friend a thumbs up, “very stylish.”

            “You guys are dorks,” Ilhoon joked.

            “But you like us anyway,” Changsub retorted and Ilhoon simply shrugged in response.

            “Let’s head backstage,” Ilhoon spoke to the two. “Eunkwang’s already there, setting up our track with the audio members. Where’s Minhyuk?”

            “He texted me earlier,” Hyunsik responded. “Apparently he’s getting a ride with his cousin, but it could take a while.”




 

            Minhyuk crossed his arms as he sat in the front seat of his cousin’s car. “Come on, I have somewhere to be.” Minhyuk groaned, staring out the window at the endless line of cars.

            “Calm down, Minhyuk,” Jihyun assured the nervous boy. “We’ll get there when we get there. You can’t change the traffic flow.”

            Minhyuk groaned. He was so close to just having Dongwoon use his telekinesis to toss aside all the cars in front of him.

            ‘Forget it Minhyuk,’ Dongwoon telepathically responded as though he had read the boy’s thoughts. ‘Even if my powers were strong enough during the day to lift a truck, it’d be far too risky.’

            ‘I know,’ Minhyuk mentally groaned. ‘But you can’t blame a guy for trying.’

            “How about we do something to take your mind off the traffic,” Jihyun spoke to her cousin.

            “Such as?” Minhyuk questioned.

            Jihyun instantly took her hands off the wheel and reached into the back seat, causing Minhyuk to panic a bit as the cars behind them started honking.

            “Road, road, road,” Minhyuk yelled.

            “Chill out,” Jihyun sat back up in her seat. “We’re barely moving.” She tossed a small yellow game board to Minhyuk. “Why not play a game of Go while we’re waiting?”

            “No,” Minhyuk refused tossing aside the magnetic Go board. “We’re not doing this, again.”

            Jihyun slammed on her brakes, causing Minhyuk to jerk forward. “C’mon, Minhyuk. Let me play Dongwoon again, just once!”

            Minhyuk rolled his eyes, “For the last time, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            “You have to play me, Minhyuk-ah. That last game you played was just like Son Dongwoon. You know him. I believe Dongwoon lives on inside your game, or that he’s a ghost controlling you while you play. Either way, I have to play Son Dongwoon again!”

            “No,” Minhyuk refused again. “I have a big show today and I can’t focus on a game of Go, even if I did want to play you. Besides, we are in a car and you need to focus on driving.”

            “I am driving,” Jihyun responded, only to be distracted by the honking horns behind her as she rolled down the window. “Keep your shirt on, I’m having a conversation here!”

            “Jihyun, just focus on the road.”

            Jihyun started driving for a moment before an idea popped into her head and a smirk appeared on her face. “This performance is important to you, isn’t it?”

            “Of course,” Minhyuk responded. “The guys are really relying on me.”

            “And you wouldn’t want to be late, right?”

            “What are you getting at?” Minhyuk raised an eyebrow behind his wide-rimmed glasses.

            “Play me, or I’ll turn this car around.”

            “Are you kidding me?!” Minhyuk raised his voice. “That’s blackmail!”

            “You’re choice,” Jihyun smirked and Minhyuk groaned.

            ‘Sorry, Minhyuk, I didn’t think Jihyun would remember my game so vividly,’ Dongwoon apologized.

            ‘Its fine,’ Minhyuk took a deep breath. ‘I’ll play her. Hopefully when I lose, she’ll finally give up on you.’

           


 

            The car pulled up in front of the hospital and Minhyuk instantly jumped out the door, dropping the losing Go board to the ground. “Thanks for the ride, Cous. I’ll wave to you in the audience!”

            Minhyuk ran off as Jihyun gave him a deep glare, “This isn’t over, Lee Minhyuk! I will play Dongwoon again!”

            Minhyuk rolled his eyes and ran backstage where the rest of his group was waiting.

            “There you are, Minhyuk,” Eunkwang commented. “We were afraid you wouldn’t make it.”

            “Sorry,” Minhyuk apologized, “Traffic was terrible and Jihyun was even worse. If I didn’t live so far, I would have taken the bus.”

            “Its fine,” Ilhoon assured him. “You made it before the show and that’s what matters.”

            “Hey, Ilhoon-ssi,” Gina approached the area and a small smile appeared on Ilhoon’s face. “Are you ready to perform?”

            “You know it, Miss Gina,” Ilhoon smiled, trying to contain his laughter.

            “What’s so funny?” Gina glanced at the boy.

            “Sorry, it’s just an inside joke Peniel told me.” Ilhoon responded. As much as he wanted to tell the truth, there was no way he could voice out that his brother was spazzing out about how y Gina looked.

            “Now Ilhoon, are you sure you want to perform with me as well today? I could always switch my track if you’re nervous.”

            Ilhoon shook his head and smiled, “No way, I worked really hard writing that rap for your song. I know I can handle it.”

            Gina was instantly reminded of Jaesoon. She could see Ilhoon’s passion for music and knew the young boy would succeed, just as his brother should have. “Alright, Ilhoon, I’m relying on you.”

            “Noona!” The seven boys spun around to see a short, red haired boy run up and wrap his arms around Gina. “Noona, I missed you!”

            ‘Who is this joker, getting so close to Gina,’ Junhyung transmitted and Ilhoon shrugged his shoulders.

            ‘Someone’s jealous,’ Yoseob teased, causing his two links to let out chuckle.

            ‘Am not!’ Junhyung defended, a bit embarrassed.

            Gina turned to the seven boys after greeting the boy, and began to explain, “Boys, this is Lee Byung Hyun, or more commonly known as L.Joe. L.Joe, this is a new group, BtoB.”

            “‘Sup,” L.Joe spoke in English, holding his hand up and Peniel instantly b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter