Darkness

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            The rest of the day did not turn in Beast’s favor. Even after going to their teacher and explaining their situation, they were unable to receive an extension on their project, due to the teacher’s need to turn in her mid-term grades before Friday night.  They had no proof the kingkas were to blame for their misfortune so they couldn’t convict them. The only thing they had left for their projects were their speeches and a few notes taken from the early stages of their project.

            During their science class, the six boys had gotten permission to take work in the library rather than completing their project in the classroom with the rest of the students.

            “I can’t believe this,” Yoseob spoke dejectedly. “After all that hard work, we’re gonna fail! And we can’t prove those jerks did this to us.”

            “We won’t fail hyung” Dongwoon corrected. “Mrs. Kang says due to the circumstances, as long as we present something, we can still get an average score.”

            “We were supposed to be the best in the class!!” Kikwang yelled angrily.

            “You think I don’t know that!” Dongwoon retorted.

            “Will you two shut up?!” Doojoon yelled. “This is exactly what they wanted. They’re trying to destroy the thing that brought us together.”

            “Well what are we supposed to do about it,” Yoseob asked quietly.

            We’ll rebuild. We’ll stay here all night and finish our project,” Doojoon answered.

            “Stay here all night?!” Kikwang responded panicked. “We can’t spend the night in the school!”

            Doojoon nodded. “The library has all we need in terms of research. And we can use the art room to rebuild Yoseob’s model. We have to at least try.”

            “Are we even allowed to do that?” Yoseob asked.

            “I’ll try and pull some strings with the librarian,” Dongwoon sighed. “I’m sure she trusts me enough with keys, since I’m here so much.

            Doojoon nodded, “Ok, it’s settled. After school, we’ll run home and get some stuff we may need and head back here immediately. And while we’re here...” Doojoon clenched his fist, “we’ll figure out a way to make those kingkas pay for what they did.”

            The other boys agreed but Jaesoon’s mind was a bit detached from the conversation. Where he agreed with what Doojoon had said, he was more concerned about the revenge rather than the project. He was pissed at the kingkas for trying to take away the shred of happiness he had found with Beast, and to him, they could not get away with this.




 

            Jaesoon arrived at his apartment, a dark look in his eye. He pushed passed his sister, without even a word and immediately stormed off to his room to pack an overnight bag.

            “Hyung? You alright?” Ilhoon looked up from his homework to see his frustrated brother.

            Jaesoon stopped his infuriated packing to look down on Ilhoon, shooting daggers at his little brother.

            “What’s up, Hyung,” Ilhoon joked as he stood in front of Jaesoon, “Did they take you off your happy pills?”

            Something in Jaesoon finally managed to snap. He’d been holding in all of his rage since he left the school building but somehow, seeing his young, defenseless brother, he had to let it all out and with a swift punch to the jaw, Ilhoon was on the ground.

            Ilhoon rubbed his cheek, tears welling in the corner of his eyes. “What the hell, Jaesoon, I thought you were becoming nice!”

            “Well I’m not,” Jaesoon responded, cracking his knuckles before grasping his brother around the weak fifth grader’s neck, with his arm.

            “JAESOON!” Ilhoon struggled, tears in his eyes. “Lemme go, why do you have to be like this?! I was starting to like you?!”

            “That’s your problem,” Jaesoon responded coldly, hiding the fact that his brother’s words actually struck a chord inside him.

           “GAH! LET GO ALREADY!” Ilhoon struggled to free himself from the iron grip of his brother’s arms. Frustrated, Jaesoon threw Ilhoon to the ground. He hated what he was doing but he was too blinded by his rage for the kingkas that he could no longer see his brother’s anguished face.

            Jaesoon needed some food for his overnight stay so he reached into his little brother’s pocket and pulled out his wallet. He pulled out several bills but still left enough for his brother before slipping them into his own pocket.

            “Is this all you have, squirt? I thought you got your allowance yesterday.”

          “You already stole my allowance, you big jerk!” Ilhoon lied. He wanted to protect the little money he had left from Jaesoon’s bad mood.

          Ilhoon stood up only to be shoved back to the ground. He was deeply hurt by his brother’s pained expressions but his thoughts of his tormentors clouded his better judgment.

            “Jaesoon, why do you have to be such an to me?” Ilhoon asked, tears stinging the corners of his eyes. Just when he believed his brother had changed for the better, the high school student went right back to being his tormentor.

          “Just the way of the world,” Jaesoon sighed before adjusting his dingy brown beanie over his ears. He put on his thick glasses and slung his overnight bag over his shoulder before walking to the door, he paused, leaving his brother with a small message, “I’m heading out. Don’t wait up for me.”

            “Jung Jaesoon,” Jaesoon stopped hearing his name escape his brother’s lips. He could tell Ilhoon was angry by his tone but he’d dare not turn his gaze to meet his brother’s piercing glare.

            “Sometimes, I just wish you’d disappear!”

            Those words. That simple sentence struck Jaesoon like a dagger through the heart. Sure Ilhoon’s been angry before, but this time Jaesoon could tell that his brother’s words were a sincere confession. He knew he had hurt Ilhoon. He knew his brother never wanted to see him again. He knew, the Jung Jaesoon that Ilhoon had known, should no longer exist.

            Jaesoon left the room and walked to the front door where his sister was waiting for him.

            “I’m disappointed in you, oppa,” Jiyoon spoke softly, careful not to disturb their parents in the living room.

            “Leave me alone, Jiyoon,” Jaesoon tried to push past Jiyoon but she stood in his way.

            “Ilhoon was starting to like you, you know,” Jiyoon continued. “These past few weeks have been some of the best in his life, because you’ve actually acted more like a brother than a bully.”

            “Move, Jiyoon,” Jaesoon pushed Jiyoon aside, reaching for the door handle.

            “I don’t know what’s been happening to you at school, but I know you were happier. I didn’t even recognize you for these past few weeks. You smiled, you laughed, you spent time with me and Ilhoon, but now... now you’re back to the Jaesoon that always broke my heart.”

            “Get to the point, Jiyoon, you’re boring me,” Jaesoon opened the door, taking a step outside.

            “These past three weeks, you were someone else, someone happy. If being Jung Jaesoon means you’re always depressed reserved and cruel, then maybe Jung Jaesoon really should disappear.”

            Jaesoon sighed, feeling his heart breaking, “goodnight, Jiyoon, take care of Ilhoon.” With that, Jaesoon left his apartment, wiping a tear from his eyes.





 

            Jaesoon sat silently as the other Beast members worked hard restoring their project. He was unfocused, slowly repressing the pain of disappointing his family. Hyunseung noticed Jaesoon’s detachment and decided to approach the forlorn boy.

            “Hey, Jaesoon, what’s up?” Hyunseung asked while looking up from the presentation board he was putting together.

            “It’s nothing.”

            “Jaesoon,” Doojoon walked over, “We can tell when you’re lying.”

            Jaesoon sighed. “I ed up.”

            The rest of the Beast members paused in their work before approaching their friend.

            “What happened, Hyung?” Dongwoon asked.

            “Do you promise you won’t think less of me if I tell you?” Jaesoon asked, garnering his friend’s trust.

            “We promise,” the other five boys chimed in unison.

            Jaesoon sighed, “I have... a really bad habit.” He bit his lip slightly before continuing. “Sometimes, the stress of this place and those ing kingkas gets to me... and I release all my pent up rage when I get home.”

            “So you lose your temper at home?” Kikwang asked, not quite registering the problem.

            “I ing attack my little brother!” Jaesoon screamed out before slamming his head on the library table. “I’m just as bad as those jerky kingkas.”

            Doojoon placed his hand on his friends back, “Jaesoon.”

            “And what’s worse,” Jaesoon continued, “Is that he was finally starting to trust me. I didn’t notice but when I started hanging out with you here, my attitude at home changed as well. I hadn’t tormented my brother for weeks and we were starting to get along.”

            He sighed, trying to hold back his tears, “but today, after all of what those ing kingkas did to us, I lost my temper again, and lost my brother’s trust.”

            “It can’t be that bad, hyung,” Dongwoon comforted.

            “He said he wished I’d disappear! And my sister agreed with him. It really got to me. I can’t do this anymore!”

            The other Beast members remained silent, giving Jaesoon a few moments to work out his thoughts.

            “Jaesoon,” Doojoon spoke softly, “You shouldn’t let this get to you.”

            “Well how would you feel if your siblings hated you?” Jaesoon yelled.

            “I won’t lie,” Doojoon sighed, “I’d feel terrible. But, Jaesoon, it doesn’t mean things between you and your brother should just end with this stupid fight and some bad words. First thing you should do when you get home tomorrow, is apologize and try to start fresh. It may take some time, but if you just explain, I bet you can save your relationship with him.

            Jaesoon nodded, “I guess it’s worth a shot. I really don’t wanna be the jerk he despises anymore.”

            “You could always change your name,” Hyunseung muttered, looking back at his presentation board.

            “Hyunseung,” Doojoon responded, “I don’t think he has to go that far-”

            “That’s it!” Jaesoon interrupted, “I’ll change my name. If being Jung Jaesoon means being a cruel jerk, then I’ll change my name!”

            “I think Hyunseung was kidding,” Yoseob spoke, but Jaesoon ignored him, already hard at work, pondering new names.

            “Now if only we could get back at those kingkas for ruining our project and Jaesoon’s family relationships,” Kikwang plotted.

            “We could if we were monsters.”

            Everyone paused from their work and looked up at the awkward boy with the presentation board.

      

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter