Getting Even

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “I don’t believe this! I swear, out of all the people to become famous, how the hell did they become idols?!” Junhyung was marching the streets angrily as his brother followed. They had parted ways from the other Beast and BtoB members, mainly because Ilhoon’s parents had called for him.

            “I take it that you know 2PM as well?” Ilhoon stared at his brother. They left before Ilhoon could get much of an explanation. None of the Beast members were too happy about seeing the boy band on the big diner screen.

            “THIS IS NOT FAIR!” Junhyung yelled, ruffling his hair, “Why would anyone give those jerks a contract?!”

            "Wait, hyung, what are you talking about?" Ilhoon asked concerned. He held onto his shoulder, trying to calm him down, but only received a hard glare that gave him the chills.

            The way his brother was acting scared him. It reminded Ilhoon of when he was Jaesoon, rather than Junhyung. He was scared that a switch between the two personalities would become a normal thing.

            "Those guys you saw on that screen? Those s people worship," Junhyung uttered, his voice getting louder after each sentence, "don't deserve what they have! They are the ones who brought Beast to this." Junhyung quickly transformed into small speck on the sidewalk and back to his original form.

            "2PM were the guys that bullied you?" Ilhoon questioned softly.

            "Do not ever call them by that horrific name again. They shouldn’t even be part of your vocabulary or even your memory."

            “H-Hyung?” Ilhoon took a step back, “I’m sorry.”

            Junhyung looked at his terrified brother and his eyes softened. He held his head and relinquished a heavy sigh. “It’s clear to me now... that even after all that has happened... after what we were driven to... they still won.” Junhyung fell to his knees as Ilhoon approached him.

            “Hyung, it’s not the end of the world.” Ilhoon placed a hand on his emotional brother’s shoulder. “2... I mean those jerks are no longer a part of your life. What happened in the past stays in the past, right?”

            Junhyung sighed, “I guess so.” He turned to his brother, who turned his head shyly.

            “I’m really sorry about what happened,” Ilhoon apologized.

            “It's not your fault,” Junhyung stood to his feet and placed a hand on his brother’s head. “My bullies may have won, but I swear to you now, yours won’t.”

            “Hyung?”

            Junhyung kneeled in front of his brother, bowing his head. “From this moment on, I swear that I will protect you. I won’t just be your shadow, I will be your knight, and I swear on my life that you will never be bullied again.”




 

            Ilhoon felt awkward entering school the next day. He kept looking over his shoulder, checking his shadow. He couldn’t get over what his brother said to him the night before. Granted, Junhyung being his personal knight sounded rather amazing, but at the same time, he didn’t really want people knowing that he had a supernatural shadow that happened to be his brother.

            ‘Would you relax already? I already told you I can match your movements perfectly. No one will know I am not just an ordinary dormant shadow.’

            “I know, I know, it’s just new to me, ok?” Ilhoon glanced at the wall where his brother’s silhouette dwelled. When he first started hearing his brother through telepathy, he was a bit skeptical, but eventually, he was able to get used to it.

            “I just don’t wanna seem weird,” Ilhoon glanced around at his peers nervously.

            Junhyung chuckled, ‘Then you might want to stop talking to me out loud. You look mental.’

            “Yah! Whose fault is that?!”

            Junhyung chuckled as Ilhoon covered his mouth, glancing at the few students that whose attention was now directed at him.

            Ilhoon chuckled awkwardly and pointed to his ear, “Heh, Bluetooth.” The students returned to their own business as Ilhoon relinquished a heavy sigh. “That was close.”

            ‘Nice cover,’ Junhyung transmitted

            “I know,” Ilhoon walked down the hall. “But it’s not gonna work in class. We have to be careful.”

            ‘Agreed. We don’t want people thinking you have some sort of imaginary friend.’

            “At least that’d make sense.” Ilhoon sighed. “C’mon, I got social studies in ten minutes and I still need my books.”

            Ilhoon ran off toward his locker, Junhyung keeping up perfectly. He took a moment to catch his breath before placing his hand on the metal combination lock and twisting the knob.

            “Yo, fruit cup!” Ilhoon cringed as a large hand made contact with the metal locker beside him. “Word on the street is you’ve joined a Girl Scout troop.”

            ‘Just ignore him, Ilhoon, he’s not worth it,’ Ilhoon thought to himself as he felt the hot, rancid breath of his enemy on his cheek.

            “Don’t ignore me! I’m hungry, and word is, you got your allowance today.”

            Ilhoon clenched his teeth as Junhyung looked upon the overweight bully in front of his dongsaeng. ‘Yah, who is this punk?’

            “Park Gi Dong,” Ilhoon whispered, “second year, . On my first day of school, he ‘asked’ me for my lunch and I refused. He’s been a jerk ever since.”

            ‘What, you have to deal with those kingkas and this loser?!

            “I’ve made a lot of enemies.”

            Ilhoon flinched hearing Gi Dong’s fist making contact with the locker.  “Hey, I said don’t ignore me! And what the hell are you doing anyway, whispering to your imaginary friend?”

            “What I do is none of your business, Park Gi Dong,” Ilhoon responded only to have his head collide with the metal locker and his back pinned against the protruding steel lock.

            “Big mistake, fruit cup,” Gi Dong reeled back his fist as Ilhoon closed his eyes, bracing for impact... But it never came.

            “Hey, what the hell!” The bully screamed.

            Ilhoon opened his eyes to see his bully’s fist frozen in its place.

            ‘Don’t you dare lay a hand on my little brother!’  With that, the large bully was hurled back into the adjacent lockers with incredible force.

            Ilhoon’s eyes widened, seeing his bully knocked unconscious by the force of the impact, “HOLY !”

            ‘I promised I wouldn’t have you put up with this crap anymore; I meant it!’

            “T-Thanks, but what if someone s-”

            ‘No one saw, and even if he remembers what happened when he wakes up, no one w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter