Challenge

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 

            “What’s the capital of Botswana?”

            “Gaborone.”

            “What type of government does Mozambique have?”

            “Multi-party democracy.”

            “And the agricultural products of Rwanda are?”

            “Coffee, tea, pyrethrum bananas, beans, sorghum, and potatoes.”

            “Yes, you are gonna ace that African Geography exam tomorrow!”

            Hyunsik was washing dishes in the kitchen at the diner while Kikwang sat on the counter, quizzing him from the boy’s textbook and study guide. With Hyunsik’s job and helping to support his large family, the boy didn’t have much time to study, so having Kikwang around was a blessing.

            Hyunsik’s boss was okay with having Kikwang in the kitchen after learning of Kikwang’s true nature. The manager happened to be an avid believer in the supernatural and was actually excited when he met Kikwang for the first time. Hyunsik’s coworkers, however, just assumed the red-haired boy was just a relative of Hyunsik’s that desperately needed to be around his cousin. This managed to get Kikwang a lot of attention, due to his dashing good looks.

            “I’m almost done with my shift,” Hyunsik said as he rinsed off his hands, “so we can head home soon.”

            “Sweet,” Kikwang leapt off the counter, placing Hyunsik’s textbook and study guide into his link’s backpack. He slung the bag over his shoulder as Hyunsik towel dried his hands and walked off toward the back locker room.

            “Let’s pick up some dinner on the way home,” Kikwang commented, following Hyunsik, “I’m starving.”

            Hyunsik chuckled, “I know you’re lying about that, but sure, we can grab a bite before we head home.” Hyunsik slipped off his apron and work shirt while Kikwang sat on the bench next to his locker.

            “Y’know, Hyunsik, I’ve noticed something about you,” Kikwang said, leaning back on the bench.

            “What is it, Hyung?” Hyunsik asked, slipping on a casual t-shirt.

            “Nothing really bothers you,” Kikwang sat up. “You’re always in a good mood, even though you have to work so hard for your family. And even when dealing with Vixx, you’re always in a good mood, not like the rest of BtoB.”

            Hyunsik paused for a second, pulling out a pair of jeans from his locker. He closed the metal door, leaning against the other employees’ storage lockers. “To be perfectly honest, Vixx isn’t that big of a problem for me... I have a different kind of bully.”

            “Who is it?” Kikwang jumped up, running to his link’s side. “I promised to help you with your bully problem.”

            “I know but... you wouldn’t understand.”

            Kikwang frowned.

            “Don’t worry about it, Hyung,” Hyunsik finished changing clothes. He re-opened his locker, pulling out a portable video game system and walked out of the locker room.

            Kikwang followed, still trying to figure out Hyunsik’s situation. He watched, smiling, as Hyunsik played his game. “You missed a goblin over there.”

            “What, where?” Hyunsik asked as his character was slaughtered on the screen, “Ahh, Hyung!”

            “Are you still playing video games?”

            Hyunsik and Kikwang both turned their heads as a young, brunette woman approached them.

            “Oh, Gayoon, I haven’t seen you in a while.” Hyunsik smiled as the brunette shoved past him.

            “Who the hell is this?” Gayoon asked, looking at Kikwang.

            “Lee Kikwang,” Kikwang answered.

            “He’s my cousin,” Hyunsik replied.

            “Great,” Gayoon rolled her eyes sarcastically, “Another one.” She turned to Hyunsik, snatching his portable game system.

            “Hey!” Hyunsik yelled, reaching for his game.

            Gayoon smiled, “I’ve grown tired of you constantly playing these things. They’re rotting your brain.

            “My shift is over, I’m allowed to play ‘em,” Hyunsik complained.

            “Well I’m bored, so you’re not. Now get lost, nerd, my shift is about to start.”

            Hyunsik groaned and walked away as Kikwang followed, observing. It was the first time he ever saw Hyunsik so upset. “I can assume that she’s your bully.”

            Hyunsik nodded quietly as he walked out the door to the cafe.

            “I’m not gonna lie, I wasn’t expecting you to be tormented by a girl. I would’ve thought you were the kind of person that women would easily get along with.”

            Hyunsik wiped a stray tear from his eye before turning and giving Kikwang a fake smile. “It’s ok, Hyung, I’m used to it.”

            “No, it’s not ok,” Kikwang snapped. “You work hard; you don’t deserve to be bullied.”

            “Yeah, but, what can I do?”

            “Easy,” Kikwang crossed his arms. “We’re gonna get back at her.”

            “What?! No, I don’t wanna hurt her! I hate fighting, especially girls.”

            “Who said anything about violence?” Kikwang smirked. “There is one guaranteed way to get back at a woman.”

            Hyunsik sniffed, “What’s that, Hyung?”

            “Easy, we are gonna make her fall in love with you.”




 

           

            Ilhoon watched quietly as the girl behind him read in English from her textbook. Kwon Sohyun was her name and for the longest time, Ilhoon had shared a class with her. Normally, the girl would shy away from Ilhoon due to his deep, broody attitude, however now that Ilhoon had lightened up with Junhyung’s help, the two of them would often talk.

            “Very good, Sohyun,” Gina approved as Sohyun finished her paragraph. “Your pronunciation was almost perfect. I believe we can stop here for today. You can all finish the story tonight for homework and complete the reading comprehension page in the back.” The young teacher smiled as her class put away their text books for the end of the day.

            “Before you all go, I have a special announcement.” The class turned their attention to the front of the class. “Konyang University Children’s Hospital will be hosting their annual charity event for amateur performers next Saturday. This is where anyone who wants to perform is allowed to do so for the patients and anyone who wants to come and watch. There is a donation pool which goes toward helping the children’s ward. It’s a lot of fun and the children always enjoy it. I, personally have performed every year since high school, and don’t intend to stop now. I’m currently looking for volunteers to come perform.”

            “Oh! Oh!” Sungjae was waving his hand in the air. “We’ll do it, Miss Gina. My brother and I sound great together. I can sing and he can rap.”

            Peniel nodded as Hongbin scoffed at the two, “Just what the kids want to listen to two dorks butchering a famous pop song.” The class began to laugh as Hongbin continued. “Only idiots perform karaoke for crowds.”

            “Excuse me,” Ilhoon stood up walking over to Hongbin’s desk, “For your informatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter