Lightless

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

            "Ah!" Eunkwang awoke, startled. He groggily looked around the room only to find he was no longer in the gym, but against the wall of the school cafeteria. Eunkwang tried moving his arms and legs, but found them bound behind him with rope.  

            "W-what?" Eunkwang looked around only to see the other Btob members tied up on either side of him.

            'Doojoon, what's going on here?'

            'Ambush...' The shadow replied weakly.  Eunkwang looked up across the room to see four black winged Reis watching their group.

            "Morning, Eunkwang," N called after noticing the Btob leader's awakening.

            "N," Eunkwang growled. "What did you do? How'd you get the jump on us?"

            N sighed.  "Does it really matter?"

            "It matters!" Eunkwang yelled, awakening the other Btob members. "What did you do to our shadows?!"

            N approached the sitting boys and held out a golden amulet with a red jewel in the center. “Do you know what this is?”

            Eunkwang remained silent, waiting for the other boy to explain.

            "This is a rei tool, known as the sun amulet. I had to rent one just for today. It intensifies the power of sunlight to rob all the energy from a demon's body."

            "Too bad Leo took the reaper gloves," Hongbin scoffed. "With those babies, he's probably already finished Ilhoon’s shadow off."

            "What?" Sungjae mumbled, worried about the fate of his friend.

            "Where the is Ilhoon?" Minhyuk cursed.

            "Calm down, Minhyuk- hyung," Hyuk replied calmly.  "Leo is cleansing him. It's for the best."

            "No it's not!" Changsub yelled. "Do you guys even know what you’re doing? You’re trying to take the life of innocent people!"

            "First of all," N said, “What we do is exterminate demons. There is nothing innocent about them. Second, you all are so far brainwashed that you don't realize these monsters are draining your lives away."

            "Our relationship with Beast is symbiotic," Eunkwang retorted. "We choose to have them in our lives."

            N rubbed his temples before looking back where a certain sharp nosed rei entered, his arms full of miscellaneous items.

            "Ken," Ravi called. "What the hell are you doing with all that?'

            Ken shrugged. "It's their bags and other stuff I found in the gym. I figured once this is all over, the BtoB boys can take their stuff and leave, you know, so they won't have to come back afterwards."

            "Fair enough," Hongbin remarked.  "They're just going to forget everything in the end."

            "Forget?" Sungjae yelled. "What the hell do you mean by forget?"

            Ravi growled and walked up to Sungjae.  "It's just as he said.  Once we finish off your shadows, we wipe your memory, and it'll be like none of this ever happened!"

            "You mean to say not only do you plan to take our shadows but our memory of them!" Minhyuk yelled. "That’s sick!"

            "You’re better off not knowing about this kind of stuff," N replied softly.

            "Lot of good that would do," Hyunsik said. "We'd know about the supernatural eventually. We are seers after all."

            "Hopefully once your shadows die, so will your supernatural sight," N replied.

            "So then what? You just go back to bullying us!" Eunkwang yelled. "Is that why you're doing all this, so you can pick on us again and we won't fight back?!"

            N looked down into the eyes of his former best friend. He knew how much he had hurt Eunkwang. He knew how much he meant to the boy tied up in front of him. He had become the thing he once despised most, a bully.

            “Eunkwang.” N kneeled before the boy and placed a hand on his head. “Things won’t go back to the way it was. We won’t pick on you anymore. We won’t bully any of you. It’s pointless. When this is over, I...” He looked back at his teammates who were giving him reassuring nods. “We’ll leave you guys alone. We won’t be your enemies anymore.”

            Eunkwang looked down, blinking away a tear.            

            “Which is why we need you to give up your shadows.” Eunkwang’s gaze darted up with the words from the rei’s mouth. N stood and continued. “We can’t have peace as long as those demons are present. They only seek your destruction.”

            Eunkwang bit his bottom lip, his tied hands trembling behind him. “You’re wrong. Doojoon’s not like that.”

            “He’s a demon, damnit!” Ravi yelled. “Open your eyes! Can’t you see you’re being manipulated?”

            “Sounds to me like you’re the ones being manipulated to me,” Changsub mumbled, grabbing Ravi’s attention.

            “What?”

            Changsub chuckled, “I’m just saying you guys have been blindly following your leader’s assumptions about our shadows, without even bothering to learn what we’re really about. Sounds like manipulation to me.”

            At the sound of Changsub’s laugh, something snapped in Ken, and before anyone could bat an eyelash, the brunette boy was in front of Changsub with an uncharacteristically angry scowl on his face. “How dare you mock us like that.”

            All eyes were now on Ken as he placed a finger under Changsub’s chin, darkness seeming to grace his features.

            “You ungrateful little freak! What we do here is for you?! You really think we’re just following orders?!”

            Changsub watched Ken remove his hand from under his chin. His finger was still pointed up for a moment before he moved his hand to his chest, clenching his fist with his thumb pointed out.

            “We move on our own will, in accordance to what we believe is right! I can never forgive you for mocking our resolve, you little freak!”

            Changsub looked at Ken, before glancing over his shoulder and noticing silent movement in the corner of the cafeteria. A small smirk appeared on Changsub’s face when he looked back at Ken.

            He shook his head, letting his smirk fall. “Here I thought you were different, Ken. Guess you’re just a Vixx bully after all.”

            Ken scoffed before backing away. “Don’t act like you know me.”

            Changsub ducked his head, allowing a small smirk grace his lips once more.

            ‘Guys, can you hear me?’

            The Btob members perked up at Changsub’s telepathic transmission.

            ‘Don’t look at me, don’t let them catch you,’ Changsub continued. ‘They don’t know yet that we’re telepathically linked.’

            The boys immediate understood and returned their gaze to various directions.

            ‘Changsub, what’s up?’ Peniel asked.

            ‘Take a glance to the back corner left of the room, but don’t let Vixx catch you looking. I’ll distract them for a second.’

            Changsub began to make an annoying whining noise, attaching Vixx’s gaze long enough for the other Btob members to look to the corner.

            “Why the hell are you making that noise?” Hongbin asked.

            Changsub shrugged. “It amuses me.”

            “Weirdo,” Ken scoffed.

            ‘Is that...?’ Eunkwang asked.

            ‘I think so,’ Changsub replied.

            ‘What are they doing?’ Minhyuk queried.

            Hyunsik looked up at the back before returning his gaze toward the ground. ‘The windows... they’re blocking the windows.’

            Sungjae glanced at N’s sun amulet before directing his head down and smiling. ‘No sun, no power. Brilliant.’

            Eunkwang nodded softly. ‘Doojoon, can you hear me?’

            ‘Yeah,’ the Beast member muttered weakly.

            ‘Backup has arrived,’ Eunkwang transmitted. ‘Is the rest of Beast ok?’

            ‘Yes... but that amulet... really draining. We can barely move.’

            Eunkwang sighed before glancing at the other Btob members. ‘The others are working to cover the windows and disable the amulet. Once it's off, Beast should be able to move again and we can fight these guys off. Ilhoon is probably fighting Leo and will hopefully be able to cut his wings.’

            ‘Are Ilhoon and Junhyung strong enough to do that alone?’ Sungjae asked.

            ‘We have to believe they are,’ Eunkwang replied. ‘For now, we have to keep Vixx from noticing the group working to block the windows. Keep them distracted by any means necessary.’

            ‘Right!’ The other five boys agreed before looking up at Vi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter