Siblings

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 

            “Different, it’s different,” Ilhoon shouted as he lay on his bunk.

            ‘What’s different?’

            Ilhoon turned toward the silhouette on the wall near his brother’s old desk, “I don’t know, but I like it.”

            Junhyung sighed before using his telekinesis to play the keys on a small electronic keyboard, sitting on the desk. ‘Da da dalla namdalla,’ he sang to the tune he played.

            “Geubi dalla namdalla,” Ilhoon sang and Junhyung agreed playing the tune while Ilhoon wrote the words down in a notebook.

            Ilhoon and Junhyung had been up all night, trying to write a song. It was a lot harder than Ilhoon had imagined, but with Junhyung’s help, they had gotten most of the melody complete. It was now Saturday morning and Ilhoon had invited the other BtoB members over to work on their song. It was still early so Ilhoon had to wait for Hyunsik to get off of work and for the other members to wake up and arrive before they could start arranging the parts for everyone.

            With the exception of Changsub, the BtoB boys weren’t too thrilled about Ilhoon volunteering them, especially considering, outside of music class, none of them had any real experience with music. However, they all agreed, learning it’d be a good opportunity to mess with Vixx.

            ‘Ok, give me a quick run through of what we got so far,’ Junhyung demanded and Ilhoon sat up on his bed.

            Ilhoon sat up on his bed, looking at his notebook. “Hansungan feeli wasseo bon sungan ttak geollyeosseo Eotteokhae nan eotteokhae♪,” He sang while Junhyung accompanied him on the keyboard. “Na na na na na, something something something. Ppeonppeonhi dagagasseo~”

            ‘Wait, I got it,’ Junhyung stopped his brother, ‘a metaphor. It’s like you're a character, in a drama, so the line should go, “Sumok deurama heunhadi heunhan juingongcheoreom, Ppeonppeonhi dagagasseo”.’

            “I like it, I like it,” Ilhoon rang out in English.

            ‘Say that again!’ Junhyung was struck with inspiration.

            “I like it?” Ilhoon repeated.

            ‘Now sing it.’

            “I like it~♪”

            Junhyung played the tune and sung for their chorus, adding a bit at the end, ‘Geubi dalla namdalla tae tae tae taega dalla. I like it I like it.  Mwonga dalla neon dalla tae tae tae taega dalla. I like it I like it.’

            “Hyung, that’s brilliant!” Ilhoon yelled, writing in his note book.

            “What’s brilliant?” Ilhoon heard a female voice on the other side of his door and he shuffled to his feet as his sister entered. “Who are you talking to, Ilhoon?”

            “No one, Noona,” Ilhoon responded, “I was just talking to, uh, Sungjae on the phone.”

            “Why’d you call him Hyung, you’re older than him,” Jiyoon questioned, folding her arms.

           “Oh, Peniel took the phone.” Ilhoon laughed, holding up his cellphone. “They’re coming over later, the rest of my friends too. Mom and dad already know so I’m sorry if we’re a little loud.”

            “Ah, the infamous BtoB you’ve told us about. Finally, we’ll get to meet the boys that have got you in such a good mood lately.” Jiyoon smiled and sat on Ilhoon’s bed. “Was that you playing the keyboard earlier, are you writing a song?”

            “Y-Yeah,” Ilhoon stuttered, sitting at his desk in front of the keyboard. “It’s for a charity concert.”

            “The Konyang University Hospital’s annual thing?” Jiyoon asked.

            “How’d you know?” Ilhoon asked.

            “A friend of mine performs there every year. Y’know, Jaesoon once wrote a rap for that thing.”

            “I know,” Ilhoon smiled. “He’s kinda amazing like that.”

            Jiyoon chuckled then sighed; that was the first time she heard Ilhoon call their brother amazing. Normally, it pained him just talking about Jaesoon. She couldn’t help but feel a bit suspicious but decided to ignore it. She was more concerned with staying close to Ilhoon to make sure he wouldn’t disappear. “So, um, can I hear you play your song?”

            Ilhoon hesitated. Sure, he could sing the tune, but he had no idea how to play the keyboard. “I-It’s still a work in progress”

            “I don’t care; just play me what you got.”

            Ilhoon glanced down at his hand, ‘H-Hyung?’

            ‘Just sing and leave the accompaniment to me, I’ll take care of it,’ Junhyung replied, reading Ilhoon’s nervousness.

            Ilhoon nodded and turned to his piano, taking a deep breath, and placing his hands on the keys. He nodded to Junhyung. Junhyung started to manipulate Ilhoon’s fingers with telekinesis and began playing their tune.

            “Hansungan feeli wasseo bon sungan ttak geollyeosseo, Eotteokhae nan eotteokhae.

            “Sumok deurama heunhadi heunhan juingongcheoreom, Ppeonppeonhi dagagasseo.♪”

            Ilhoon paused his singing playing an instrumental riff before picking up the words again with the chorus.

            “Geubi dalla namdalla tae tae tae taega dalla, I like it I like it. Mwonga dalla neon dalla tae tae tae taega dalla, I like it I like it♪”

            Ilhoon stopped before turning to Jiyoon, “Like I said, it’s a work in progress. I have the general melody but we’re missing a lot of words.”

            Jiyoon nodded, “can I see your notebook?”

            Ilhoon handed it to Jiyoon to look it over.

            “Ok, replay that part between the first verse and the chorus. The part you don’t have words to.”

            Ilhoon turned back to Junhyung, who took over his fingers again. Jiyoon stayed silent as the tune played through.

            “Ok, let’s try this,” Jiyoon said, “Ppalgan lipstick, kkaman seutaking. Jangmi, han songi nal bureuneun nunbit. Oneul bam yeogi neowa danduri. Dulmanui party oh party tonight♪”

            Ilhoon and Junhyung stared at their sister, wide eyed and mouths agape, amazed by her poetic lyrics.

            “Too much,” Jiyoon asked, noticing Ilhoon’s reaction. “Sorry, I’ve been taking some poetry classes at the University. I know it’s nothing Jaesoon could come up with but I just wanted to help-”

            “That was brilliant!” Ilhoon cheered. “I never knew you could write lyrics like that, and you have a great voice too.”

            ‘That’s better than anything I’d have come up with,’ Junhyung admitted.

            “You really like it?” Jiyoon asked.

            Ilhoon nodded and took back his notebook, quickly writing Jiyoon’s lyrics, “you’re amazing, noona.”

            “No, you’re amazing, Ilhoon,” Jiyoon smiled. “To write this song in one night. Wow, the melody, the theme, the lyrics, it’s just, it’s” Jiyoon sighed, lying back on Ilhoon’s bed, “Wow.”

            “That’s it!” Ilhoon jumped up. “That’s the name of our song.”

            ‘What is?’ Junhyung asked.

            “What, name?” Jiyoon inquired.

            Ilhoon simply smiled, pumping his fist in the air and shouting in English, “WOW!”




 

            “Don’t break oeoeo okay, oeoeo play, don’t break!” seven boys sang to Peniel’s added lyrics while Junhyung guided Ilhoon’s fingers along the keyboard. It was late afternoon and the boys had finished their song and were now arranging the parts for each of the members. The hardest part was deciding the main vocal for the group, which was surprisingly enough Eunkwang.

            “Geubi dalla namdalla.”
            “Wow!”

            The boys clapped, satisfied by the arrangement.

            “I think we can actually do this!” Sungjae cheered.

            “So do I,” Hyunsik smiled, “thanks to Ilhoon’s song.”

            “Don’t forget to thank noona,” Ilhoon remarked, leaning back on the living room couch with the keyboard in his lap, “She really helped me with the lyrics.”

            “Thanks, Jiyoon-ssi,” Changsub smiled at the Jung girl sitting next to her brother.

            “Just glad to help; this is a really good song,” Jiyoon smiled.

            The seven boys had not expected Ilhoon’s sister to sit in on their project, but were glad to have her help. It was a little tough for them not talking to their shadows the entire time but the Beast members understood. They managed to help in silence, keeping their presence hidden while transmitting small suggestions that were voiced aloud by their links. It was hard not giving the shadows credit but they knew they had to keep the Beast boys a secret.

            “I don’t know about you boys, but I’m hungry,” Jiyoon voiced, standing to her feet.

            “I’m always hungry,” Changsub chuckled.

            Jiyoon nodded, walking toward the kitchen, “what would you like for dinner, Ilhoon?”

            Ilhoon sighed, leaning back on the couch. “Something not too heavy, but something we can get a lot of for everyone.”

            ‘Just order something,’ Junhyung suggested.

            “Let’s order takeout,” Ilhoon announced.

            “Yeah,” Peniel cheered, “Chicago style pizza!”

            “I don’t think we can get that here, Hyung,” Sungjae announced and Peniel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter