Monsters

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

            Sohyun sat in front of her laptop while seated in her favorite cafe. She had a headset mic over her head while glancing at two windows placed side by side on the computer screen.

            “Ahh, this is so frustrating,” Sohyun complained, flipping through multiple web pages.

            “Calm down Sohyun-ah,” spoke a face on the other side her screen. “Getting angry about this stuff isn’t gonna make it go faster. If it did, I would’ve already graduated college.”

            “You’re not helping, Mark,” voiced another face on the monitor. “Sohyun turned to us to help her figure out the mystery creature, not to talk about your university issues.”

            “I know, Taeyeon-ah, I know,” Mark sighed.

            “Yah, you brat, call me noona!” Taeyeon shouted and Mark simply stuck his tongue out.

            Sohyun chuckled. She loved going into the ‘Seer’s video chat room’. Normally she couldn’t talk to anyone because no one really understood her ability or could relate to her, but when she was online with these people, she didn’t feel like such a freak.

            “So this guy that you said has the presence,” Taeyeon spoke to Sohyun, “what’s your relationship with him?”

            “Oh, um,” She thought for a second. “He’s just a boy in my class. He never had this presence before, but not too long ago, he changed.”

            “How so?” Mark asked.

            “Well, before, he was super anti-social. He’d often just stare off into space or play with the brown beanie he’d always wear. He’d only ever talk to his two friends. Oh yeah, that’s right, his friends also have this thing around them. In fact his whole group does.”

            “His whole group,” Taeyeon asked, “What group?”

            “It’s part of the changes I told you about.” Sohyun continued. “Recently, he’s become a lot more outgoing. He speaks his mind, he smiles a lot. He’s become super talented. In fact, he’s now the rapper of a group with his two friends and four others. They call themselves Btob and they’re really good. They wrote, composed and choreographed a song in only one week!”

            “Back on track, Sohyun,” Mark commented. “You say that entire group has the same supernatural feel?”

            Sohyun nodded, “and it gets stronger every time I see them.”

            “You think that they might have transformed into something?” Taeyeon asked.

            “Yeah, like vampires or something,” Mark asked.

            “I’m sure it’s not vampires,” Sohyun commented. “Remember when Taeyeon-Unnie explained her encounter with vampires? They’re antisocial where Ilhoon’s become more outgoing. Besides Ilhoon’s skin is perfect, not the sickly pale that reeks of the undead.”

            Taeyeon shivered, “I’m still cleaning up after that whole vampire mess.” She sighed. “It could be werewolfism. They tend to act out more.”

            Sohyun shook her head. “Even if Ilhoon is more likely to get into a fight now, it’s more of a verbal war or a battle of wits or talent, he’s not violent. Besides, werewolves become strictly carnivores. I’ve seen Ilhoon and his friends eat. Changsub eats anything and Sungjae’s favorite food is watermelon.”

            “You really seem to know a lot about these guys for an impartial observer, “Mark remarked, yawning.

            “I-I may have started hanging out with them. It’s simply research.” She denied before lowering her voice. “It doesn’t help that Ilhoon is my old friend’s younger brother.”

            “Whoa, you forgot to mention that little detail.” Taeyeon remarked. “If you know his sister, what’s she like? Is this aura a part of her too?”

            Sohyun shook her head, “I don’t sense anything with Jiyoon, just Ilhoon. I’ve told her what I’ve felt in her brother and his friends. She seems to believe me.”

            “That easily?!” Mark yelled. “Lucky, no one believed me on my uncle’s farm when I claimed the new kid was a tanuki and was the one causing trouble among the local farmers last summer.”

            “Tanuki, the shape-shifting raccoon-dog from Japan,” Sohyun questioned, “What was one doing in the US?”

            “How the hell should I know,” Mark remarked. “With air travel, everything is everywhere.”

            “Back to Sohyun’s problem?” Taeyeon continued. “Do you have any clues at all about what the creature is?”

            Sohyun thought, “I know Ilhoon isn’t the creature but it seems to be attached to him. Ilhoon does seem to be absorbing energy from it somehow. I don’t know if he’s aware of it or not. Oh, I learned that Ilhoon’s brother mysteriously vanished five years ago. Jiyoon said that he became a lot happier and more outgoing just before he disappeared. The two events must be connected somehow.”

            “That’s a vital piece of information you neglected.”

            “Shut up Mark,” Taeyeon commented. “Ok, so you feel this thing but you can’t see it at all?”

            Sohyun sighed, “It’s strange. I don’t see anything but I feel like it’s getting stronger and stronger, especially around Ilhoon. I don’t want him to disappear.”

            “Alright, alright, calm down,” Taeyeon comforted her. “I found a list of creatures that are or can become invisible even to seers like us. I’ll send you the link to it.”

            Sohyun blinked as a small message window popped up on the bottom of her screen with a hyperlinked URL. Sohyun clicked the URL and read over the page.

            “Hey Sohyun,” Mark commented, “I’m also looking at the link. Skip ahead to section 7 titled shadows. I think we have a match.”

            Sohyun quickly skipped to the designated page, “invisible in the light to those who don’t notice... attached to physical creatures and objects.... Mark, that’s it, you’re a genius!”

            “Hey, I found the link,” Taeyeon complained.

            “Thank you,” Mark yawned, ignoring Taeyeon. “I should log off. It’s two in the morning here. Email me later.”

            “Will do, thanks Mark-oppa,” Sohyun smiled and the elder boy logged off. Sohyun and Taeyeon looked at webpage.

            “Um, Sohyun,” Taeyeon stuttered. “Read paragraph five, starting with ‘A shadow’s lifestyle.’”

            Sohyun skipped ahead and read the page, her eyes widening at the text, “oh no.”


 

           

            Two boys stood on a large cybernetic plane. Red light traveled by the predetermined paths on the walls around them. They had encountered the source of the virus and all that was left to do was eliminate it before it could spread its chaos through the entirety of the internet.

            “I’m surprised you found me so fast,” spoke a malicious voice from seemingly nowhere.

            “Come out you vicious monster,” Jihoon yelled, pulling out the light blue laser lit chakram from his back. “This ends here.”

            “We refuse to...” Changsub yawned, “Let you spread anymore of your evil.”

            “Oh really,” a giant masked spider crawled along the back wall. “But what if I told you I wasn’t evil. Perhaps what I’m doing is for the better of mankind. I’m simply erasing all data. Isn’t that what we really need? No more advertisements, hindering from our favorite videos. No more embarrassing photos tainting an otherwise unsoiled name. No more malicious flame wars in the comments section of an artist’s latest work. No more insecure passcodes to bank accounts and archives. No more ography corrupting the minds of our youth.”

            “YAH! I like !”

 

            Jihoon and J both looked up from their game board to their awkward friend.

            “I-I mean,” Changsub rubbed his head, “I mean I don’t watch it myself. I mean I watch it for the storyline... I mean. Oh gimme a break, I’m a teenage boy with hormones!”

            “And that role-play is ruined,” Jihoon commented.

            ‘You don’t need , Changsub,’ Hyunseung commented. ‘Just imagine me and Hyuna-’

            ‘SHUT UP! YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST!’ Changsub groaned and Hyunseung chuckled. “J, stop making the villain so relatable! It’s becoming harder and harder to fight you!”

            J sighed, “That’s what makes the best villains. Think about it, what’s the real difference between a hero and a villain? Who’s to say if a villain is doing a bad thing for a good reason, are they really evil?”

            “Um...” Changsub paused to think about J’s words.

            “What if someone does something that hurts someone, but ultimately was to protect them, are they a hero or a villain?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter