A New Ability

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           

            “Ok, what are you doing?” Gayoon asked her best friend as she sat down for her break from busting tables after the evening dinner rush.

            Jihyun looked up from her iPad with tired eyes. “I’m challenging my cousin to a game of online Go. Normally, I prefer challenging him in person, but ever since he joined that dance group, I rarely see him at home anymore. Now that I have an online account, I can constantly challenge him.”

            Gayoon sighed. “You’re still going on about that? Ever consider that that one game was just a fluke? I mean, Dongwoon can’t possibly be playing through your cousin. It’s not possible.”

            “I know it sounds impossible.” Jihyun sighed. “But I believe in all possibilities. The game was far too similar to just be a coincidence. I’ve studied Dongwoon’s games multiple times when playing him back in high school. It’s too unique for Minhyuk to copy by coincidence. Minhyuk’s smart, but his mind doesn’t work that way. Besides, I feel like Minhyuk is hiding something.”

            “So you think Minhyuk is possessed or something?”

            Jihyun shook her head. “Dongwoon hasn’t possessed Minhyuk because Dongwoon’s not dead.”

            “How can you be sure of that?”

            “I…” Jihyun paused for a second. “I can feel it.”

            Gayoon shook her head. “I don’t get you.”

            A chime rang and Gayoon turned her head towards the door of the quiet restaurant as a young blond boy entered, clad in a middle school uniform.

            “Oh, BamBam!” Gayoon waved over to the boy. “Hold on, I’ll go get Jackson.”

            Gayoon stood up, signaling to her friend that she’d be right back. She headed to the locker room and glanced around for the waiter. “Jackson, BamBam’s here.”

            Gayoon paused as she came face to face with a shirtless blond and his red haired cousin.

            Hyunsik hadn’t noticed anyone else had entered the locker room until he heard Gayoon call out for his coworker. He quickly became embarrassed for changing his shirt in an open place. Kikwang couldn’t help but chuckle next to him.

            “Jackson’s out back,” Kikwang answered for his nervous link. “He had to take out the garbage.”

            Gayoon nodded her head blindly before shaking it and turning away, light pink rising to her cheeks. “Thanks…uh… Hyunsik’s cousin.”

            “Kikwang,” the shadow introduced, “Lee Kikwang.”

            “Right.” Gayoon started to walk away before pausing near the backdoor. “Hyunsik?”

            “Yeah?” Hyunsik quickly slipped on his work shirt, desperate to hide his embarrassment.

            “N-nice abs.” Gayoon’s face was bright red and she ran out the door before Hyunsik could respond. The boy stood completely stunned once more before Kikwang waved a hand in front of his face.

            “Earth to Hyunsik,” Kikwang chimed.

            Hyunsik shook his head. “Did you see that? She complimented me. That’s never happened.”

            Kikwang laughed. “Looks like you’ve really gotten under her skin.”

            Hyunsik shut his locker before a small smile fell on his face. “So, I guess she really is in love with me huh? So the plan’s done now?”

            “Mm, not exactly,” Kikwang commented.

            “What do you mean?”

            “In order for her to permanently stop bullying you, there needs to be a confession. Until then, she could just relapse to old habits and all this work would be for nothing.”

            Hyunsik sighed. “Alright, so what do I have to do next?”

            Kikwang crossed his arms. “Nothing.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Just wait,” Kikwang responded. “There’s one more thing that needs to happen before the confession.”

            “What’s that?”

            Kikwang smiled, looking through the crack in the door to the restaurant where Gayoon had just entered with Jackson. “You’ll know when it happens. Anyway, head on to the kitchen. I’ll meet you there in a bit. There’s something I wanna check out first.”

            Hyunsik nodded and left through the door to head toward the kitchen. Kikwang quickly faded into the wall and slipped over to where Gayoon was talking with Jihyun.

            “So Gayoon,” Jihyun said, leaning back. “I heard 2PM is in town next week.”

            “What?!” Gayoon stood up, excited.

            Jihyun nodded. “There’s this big show in Seoul this weekend but afterwards I hear that some members might be coming home for a short break.”

            “Really?!” Gayoon cheered. “Do you think Nichkhun is coming back to town? Nichkhun is so cute! I absolutely love him. He’s my ultimate bias!”

            “Possibly,” Jihyun remarked.

            Kikwang smiled before returning to the kitchen and re-emerging from the shadows. ‘I think I can see the ending.’

           

           

            “So sleepy,” Changsub complained as he stretched his body out on the library floor.

           Now that Btob and Beast had a plan of action against Vixx they had to figure out how to execute it. Cutting Leo’s wings was not going to be easy. He had more experience than the other reis and his wings were not at all fragile. If Beast were able to fight, they’d use their transformations to try and slice the black wings off the boy’s back with claws; however, Vixx was more likely to make a move in daylight, which rendered Beast’s transformations relatively useless. They’d have to rely on their telekinesis and figure out a way for the Btob boys to defend themselves.

            It was Thursday evening in the old school. Their day was mostly spent campaigning to the student body while spying on Vixx. They were starting to notice odd behavior in the six kingkas. None of them seemed to be putting much effort into their campaign. The younger members always seemed worn out. The Btob freshman often caught Hongbin sleeping in class, and Changsub would notice Ken’s lack of emotion. They started to notice small wounds on Hyuk and Ravi’s arms, even though they kept it hidden from the rest of the student body. Btob figured that the Vixx boys were preparing for war and now they must prepare their counterstrike.

            “What if we had your sister teach us Taekwondo?” Sungjae suggested to Ilhoon.

            Ilhoon shook his head. “Normal Taekwondo wouldn’t be enough to remove someone’s wings. We need something a lot stronger."

            “Besides,” Junhyung leaned back in his chair. “I don’t want my baby sister involved in this.”

            “You know,” Hyunseung spoke up. “Physically, she’s older than you now.”

            “You shut up.”

            “What if we ask Sohyun for help?” Peniel asked. “She has connections to other seers and I’m sure one of them would know a way we can clip Leo’s wings.”

            Ilhoon pulled up his knees. “Maybe… but I don’t really wanna get her involved either. She could get hurt...”

            “You like her don’t you.” Hyunsik sat next to the boy.  Ilhoon nodded quietly.

            “I couldn’t live with myself if she got hurt in my battle,” Ilhoon admitted.

            “Our battle,” Junhyung corrected. “We’re all in this together.”

            Ilhoon nodded.

            “So how do we fight them?” Yoseob asked. “Even with our telekinesis, during the day, Vixx overpowers us.”

            Changsub sat up. “I need to skateboard. I do my best thinking while I’m rolling.”

            “Didn’t you leave your board at school?” Hyunsik commented. ”Your locker was surrounded by girls so there was no time to grab it.”

            Changsub groaned loudly, lying back down on his back. “What else could go wrong?” He turned his head to his left when a black and purple skateboard rolled up beside him. He sat back up again and spun around to see Hyunseung waving at him from against the wall.

            “Where’d this come from?” Changsub asked picking up the board and standing up. Hyunseung shrugged as Changsub flipped over the board and looked at the odd pattern on the bottom. “It’s not mine.”

            “Just try it,” Hyunseung encouraged.

            Changsub placed the board on the wooden floor and lightly rolled it with his foot.  “Wow.”

            Changsub hopped on the board and started riding around the library. “This board is awesome!”

            Hyunseung nodded as Eunkwang stood up to scold him. “Changsub, this is a library, not a skate park!”

            Changsub ignored the leader as he glided around the large room. The brunette leapt over tables pulling of amazing spins and grinded the edges of bookshelves. “This board is amazing! I’ve never had such control.” Changsub was so absorbed in enjoying himself, he didn’t notice the purple glow emitting from the symbol on his hand.

            Hyunseung smiled lazily at his link as Doojoon suspiciously approached the blond. “Where did you get tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter