I'll Protect You

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: nyokopuppet 

I don't normally do this but because this chapter was pretty emotional for me to write, I've decided to share the songs I listened to that helped me write it. 

♪1: Dream - Get Over (Special Mix)

♪2: Vixx- Error (string and piano cover) 

 

 

 

 

            “Hey look, it’s him, the spirit boy.”

            “I hear weird things happen around him. We should probably stay away.”

            “Didn’t you hear? His mommy was spirited away.”

            “The spirits probably took her so she could get away from him.”

            “Scaredy-kwang, even his mommy didn’t want him.”

            “Crybaby, no one wants someone like you as a son. You should just disappear.”

            “Oh look, you made him cry.” The child snickered. “Crybaby, who are you going to cry to, your mommy in the afterlife?”

            That laughter, that endearing laughter, it always reminded him of his painful existence. It hadn’t even been a year since Eunkwang’s mother died, leaving him and his father alone. He could never figure out why his mother died. One day she was fine, the next she was gone.

            He learned from his mother that there were things in the world that could never be explained. He’d always be filled with such curiosity when he was with her, and he had never been afraid of what he couldn’t see, until his mother died.

            Eunkwang blamed the supernatural for taking his mother from him. He could never understand what he couldn’t see, and without a reason for his mother’s passing, he became afraid. He’d start to have panic attacks, worried that he’d be taken as well. Children would notice his behavior, and .

            As the teasing progressed and the jeers became harsher, Eunkwang withdrew even more. He could no longer trust in anyone or anything. He was afraid. He was alone.

            “Do any of you idiots even know what it’s like to lose someone you cared about? If you did you wouldn’t be so quick to kick someone while they're down.”  

            What? Who was that? Was someone actually standing up for Eunkwang? Eunkwang sat up to see a tanned boy standing with arms spread in front of him. He was loud, naggy, possibly even annoying but as he continued to scold the children the bullies fled the playground, leaving the two of them alone.

            “You can come out now,” he called. “Don’t worry, I don’t bite. I may annoy you, but I won’t hurt you, I promise.”

            Eunkwang was wary of the child. He was afraid. He didn’t think anyone could be so kind to him. He didn’t want his kindness; he didn’t want the spirits to take the boy. He didn’t want the first nice kid he’d ever met to be spirited away like his mother.

            Eunkwang tried to hide from the child; he wanted to be alone to protect the other boy. There were things he couldn’t see, things he couldn’t explain, and he didn’t want this kind boy to get involved. Eunkwang tried to run away from him, but the other boy wasn’t having it.

            The tanned boy jumped in Eunkwang’s path, causing the younger the shrink back, eyes watering and tears falling. “I won’t let you run away from me.”

            Eunkwang didn’t know what to do; he didn’t know who to trust. He was afraid, beyond afraid. Before he could make a move, he felt a pair of warm strong arms wrap around his shoulders. Eunkwang struggled, but eventually let himself sink down into the other boy’s arms and cry.

            “Don’t worry. The spirits won’t get you or anyone else around you. I’ll protect you from now on.”



 

            Never in his life had Eunkwang predicted he’d be in such a situation. He saw the tanned boy before him. He saw the black wings and the bright red hair but as much as he tried to see N as an enemy, he still couldn’t help seeing his old best friend, Cha Hakyeon.

            N could see fear in Eunkwang’s eyes. He was still the same boy he used to play with on the playground. He could never forgive that shadow for taking advantage of his old best friend, especially someone as sensitive as Eunkwang.

            N made the first move, flying at intense speeds toward the shadow near Eunkwang. Scared, Eunkwang jumped in the way, blocking N with his shield. N bounded off the metal and tried attacking from a different angle, only to be blocked again.

            Eunkwang had a hard time keeping up with N. He was considerably faster than the other four Reis. He stayed on the defense, hoping-to-god that the red haired leader would tire out.



 

            “So, what time should I come over Saturday? You’re going to love the gift I got you.”

            “Eunkwang!” Hakyeon called, effectively halting his friend. “Um, you don’t need to come over on my birthday; really, it’s not a big deal.”

            “But it’s thirteen,” Eunkwang argued. “You’re thirteenth birthday! I have to be there for you.”

            “Please don’t Eunkwang!” Hakyeon yelled. “Just stay away, please. We’ll hang out the day after, ok? I’ve gotta go.”

            Eunkwang sighed as he watched his friend grab his duffle bag full of soccer gear and run away from the field. He never thought his friend wouldn’t want him around during his most special day of the year.

            The twelve-year-old boy grabbed his own duffle bag from the side of the field, ped the side flap and reached inside, pulling out a silver pocket watch. On the front there was a cute winged robot engraved into the metal. Eunkwang clicked the button on top, opening it up to see the clock face had a childhood photo of Eunkwang and Hakyeon from the first year they met. On the inside of the front cover was an inscription.

To my best friend Cha Hakyeon,

You are my strength and protection.

Thank you for being you

Seo Eunkwang.


 

            Eunkwang couldn’t hold off from N’s fierce attack. He was being pushed back constantly and he knew his shield wouldn’t hold up much longer. The orange haired boy had no choice but to retreat.

            He quickly ducked under a cafeteria table, doing all he could to catch his breath. He was a sweating mess, but N didn’t seem worn out at all. N walked toward the table before trying to slash at the shadow once more but Eunkwang held up his shield to keep Doojoon safe.

            Eunkwang slid out from under the table before making a kick at N’s leg but the Rei was too quick. N placed his hand on the table before flipping over it, landing on the other side. N spread his wings, flying at Eunkwang and resuming his relentless assault.

            Eunkwang continued to shield against the older boy’s strikes.

            “Why do you keep fighting like this?”

            Eunkwang flinched at N’s words. He leapt back as a golden dagger nearly made contact with him.

            “Why don’t you run away and cry?” N continued, anger clearly evident in his yells. “You hate the supernatural! You despise it yet you keep defending a demon, a monster! Why the are you doing this?”

            Eunkwang fell to his knees still holding his shield up against N’s attack. He closed his eyes and thought back to one of the worst days of his life.

 

            ‘Eunkwang,” Hakyeon stood with the younger boy on the bridge of the park. It was raining that day, a few days after Hakyeon’s birthday. “I’m leaving.”

            “What?” Eunkwang all but yelled.

            “Listen,” Hakyeon sighed. “My parents are going to take care of me from now on. I won’t be living with my grandmother anymore. I’ll be changing schools and going somewhere far across town. We may never see each other again.”

            “But what about me? Aren’t you supposed to protect me?”

            “Eunkwang...” Hakyeon sighed. “I don’t want to see you anymore.”

            “What?” Tears fell from his eyes.

            “I’m not going to protect you anymore. In fact...” Hakyeon reached into his pocket and pulled out a shiny silver pocket watch. He tossed it over the bridge before turning away from Eunkwang. “I don’t need you anymore, so never talk to me again.”

            “But why, Just because you're moving?” Eunkwang yelled. “That’s not right! What if I wrote you, and called you every day? What if I visited you every weekend? What if I followed you? What if I move to the same school you do? I can’t face this world without you! Don’t leave me like this, Hakyeon!”

            “Will you just shut up?” Hakyeon yelled. “Just leave me alone! Don’t follow me! Never talk to me again!”

            Eunkwang watched through tear-glazed eyes as his closest friend ran from him. Was this real? Would he never see Hakyeon again? Who would be by his side? Who would protect him? How was he ever supposed to survive without Hakyeon?

 

            ‘Eunkwang... Eunkwang!’

            Eunkwang’s eyes remained closed as he hid behind his shield. He was in a dark place within his own mind. He could still feel N’s attacks on the outside, but he chose to ignore it. He was afraid of this fight. He could no longer even remember why he was doing this.

            ‘Eunkwang! Snap out of it!’

            The orange haired boy looked up to see a familiar silhouette approaching him. He was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter