Torment

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Five Years ago]

            “GAH! LET GO ALREADY!” Ilhoon struggled to free himself from the iron grip of his brother’s arms. The older threw Ilhoon to the ground before reaching into his little brother’s pocket and pulling out his wallet. He pulled out several bills before slipping them into his own pocket.

            “Is this all you have, squirt? I thought you got your allowance yesterday.”

            “You already stole my allowance, you big jerk!”

            Ilhoon stood up only to be shoved back to the ground by his bigger and stronger brother. Jaesoon may not have been the strongest or toughest boy in the 11th grade, but to Jung Ilhoon, his sibling was a monster. Usually, boys look up to their older brothers, but according to Ilhoon, there was nothing inspirational about Jaesoon.

            “Jaesoon, why do you have to be such an to me?”

            “Just the way of the world,” Jaesoon adjusted the dingy brown beanie on his head before putting on his thick glasses and walking to the door. “I’m heading out. Don’t wait up for me.”

            “Jung Jaesoon,” the fifth grader rose to his feet, “sometimes, I just wish you’d disappear!”

[Present Day]

            To this day, Ilhoon still remembers the last thing he said to Jaesoon. As much as he hated his brother’s bullying, he missed having him around. Ilhoon blamed himself for Jaesoon’s disappearance; after all, he had wished for it with all his heart.

            Ilhoon walked into the busy halls of the newly built Cube High. It had been five years since the older high school was abandoned and this new one was built blocks away. Since then, a haunting tale had been bestowed upon the old building.

            It has been said a group of students who spent the night in that school were never seen again. Within the days that followed, students began to hear eerie sounds inside the buildings and odd shadows were spotted on the walls. Electronics began to fail, without explanation. Eventually, the haunted school was shut down and a new school was built away from the paranormal activity. Legend has it that the missing boys still lurk in the halls of that haunted school.

            Ilhoon hated this legend. It wasn’t that he was afraid of it, but rather it depressed him. After all, unknown by many, one of the missing boys was his sibling, Jung Jaesoon.

            “‘Ey, fruit cake,” Ilhoon cringed at the mockery laced words of his mortal enemy. “I’m talking to you, fruit cup.”

            Ilhoon tried ignoring the overweight senior that loomed over him but was immediately slammed into the metal lockers, the impact making a big enough sound to cause somewhat of a scene.

            “Answer me when I address you,” the bully spat.

            “Le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter